PDA

View Full Version : Question about Poison

Soul of Iron
31-08-2005, 14:22
Someone told me a while ago that poisoned weapons will not affect a target it is unable to wound without the poison.

Example: Old Clarification
Jungle swarms charge a dragon. After 15 attacks the swarms land 6 poisoned hits. No successful attacks wound. The dragon makes 6 armor saves

Example: New Clarification
Jungle swarms charge a dragon. After 15 attacks the swarms land 6 poisoned hits. Strength 2 attacks are unable to wound T6 targets. The would-be poisoned attacks are counted as successful hits and then discarded.

Can some one please inform me how this is handed now? And if there is a rules update; can someone please post a link or inform me where it can be found?

nurgle_boy
31-08-2005, 14:35
id have thought they would wound.. but this is only from real-life situations and logic.

a needle full of lethal poisen injected into you.
aka, a hit

you dont feel it much, and is barely even annoying..
aka poisons, but doesnt wound

ack, your heart stops and you die a few seconds later
aka, poison.

this might make no sense, but to me it does. think of anathtetic injections. they dont really hurt, but they knock you out fast!

Atrahasis
31-08-2005, 14:42
Poison completely bypasses the normal roll-to-wound, and so S and T are irrelevant (except for Armour Save Modifiers).

McMullet
31-08-2005, 14:48
There is a body of opinion that states that a 6 to hit means that you automatically succeed your "to wound" roll, rather than auo-wounding, and so need to be able to wound the target normally. On the other hand, another body of opinion (eg, me) consideres it to simply be a matter of an automatic wound (the more straightforward interpretation of the rules). There is no real solid 100% clarification of the rule, unfortunately. The BRB isn't perfectly clear, there is no FAQ on it that I know of and there are fluff-based arguments for both sides.

Soul of Iron
31-08-2005, 15:12
id have thought they would wound.. but this is only from real-life situations and logic.

a needle full of lethal poisen injected into you.
aka, a hit

you dont feel it much, and is barely even annoying..
aka poisons, but doesnt wound

ack, your heart stops and you die a few seconds later
aka, poison.

this might make no sense, but to me it does. think of anathtetic injections. they dont really hurt, but they knock you out fast!

I feel that the attacker has to be capable of hurting the target in order to inject the poison. A poisoned knife in the hands of a toddler would likely be unable break the skin of a rhino.

Just to argue the other side of the question.

McMullet
31-08-2005, 15:45
I feel that the attacker has to be capable of hurting the target in order to inject the poison. A poisoned knife in the hands of a toddler would likely be unable break the skin of a rhino.

Just to argue the other side of the question.

This is pretty much it. We now have both sides of the argument.

The problem with this is that a snake is not a toddler, it is a killing machine. A toddler would lack the ability to puncture a rhino's skin, but not the strength. A hypodermic needle is very sharp - as are the fangs of a snake. The fact of the matter is, you don't have to cause a wound (as in, something that could take the model out) to incapacitate with poison; all it takes is a scratch. A very small spider can kill a human with a poisonous bite, and the relative bigness/nastiness ratio from spider to human is comparable to, if not lower than, that from snake/rat to dragon.

However, as I said above, this is an old argument, which never showed any sign of a firm conclusion. I can't seem to find the original, however, so it may be from Portent.

Festus
31-08-2005, 16:02
Hi

Re-read the *poison attacks* special rule... ;)

Greetings
Festus