PDA

View Full Version : Tech support

lord_blackfang
31-08-2005, 15:43
We've all heard a bunch of jokes and anecdotes about stupid customers calling tech support with some absurd problem (my cup holder is broken/, etc.)

But what about the idiots in tech support? You know, the guys who appear to have no knowledge whatsoever about the product, or so little technical know-how that they don't even understand the problem, let alone how to address it?

Now, I view myself as a "knowledgeable user." I'm not into overclocking and I certainly have no idea how a circuitry board works, but I do know how to install new hardware, set jumpers, what each line in config.sys does, etc.

Well, I got me a broadband connection (the type that uses TV cables). It worked for a couple of days, then just stopped. Naturally I went over the modem's manual first, and the ISP's getting started guide, etc. Tried everything, nothing helped. The lights on the modem indicated that it can't contact the ISP.

So I called tech support. The first thing they suggested was to do a soft, then hard, reset on the modem. Which I'd done already, but I humored them anyway. No go. They promised they'd send someone over in a few days.

A few days later and no repairman in sight, I called them again. Of course the first thing they told me is to do a reset. OK. Looks like it's their default reply for everything. They asked me if the TV is working, and I said yes. So it's obviously not a severed cable or something like that. Well, the tech support guy said he thinks he knows what's wrong. A simple fix, and since a repair guy is in my area, they'll send him to my place in 30 minutes.

So the guy finally arrived (2 hours late.) He walked over to the TV, turned it on, and exclaimed: "Why are you messing with us? It's working fine!"

I almost exploded at that point, but politely informed him that, like I've said over the phone, the TV is fine, it's the internet that's not working.

"Oh. Well, I have no tools for that with me. I'll be back tomorrow."

Two days later (and no repair guy in sight of course) I called them again. Since I got a different guy on the line, I explained everything to him over again. How I'd already called several times, tried everyting in the manual, even had a (totally misinformed) repairman over, everything. Then he says to me: "Have you tried resetting it?"

And then he got all insulted when I called him a ********** *****.

To make a long story short, it took them 2 weeks to find out that some of the cables in the switch-box in the basement of my apartment building had disintegrated of old age. And then another week to replace them.

Wraithbored
31-08-2005, 16:02
One time we ordered ceramic tiles for our bathroom it took them 4 times to send the proper ones the 4th time I nearly throttled the delivery "thing"

Crux
31-08-2005, 17:16
I'm sure you guys will find this (http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/) page amusing. To be more specific, this (http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_stuptech.shtml) one.

lord_blackfang
31-08-2005, 17:58
Those are great! I loled for an hour!

Lafeel Abriel
31-08-2005, 18:10
I'm almost surprised you didn't kill him. I would have been tempted to, myself, in your place..

Crux
31-08-2005, 20:19
@Lord_Blackfang: Check under Hardware Abuse. Those are my favorite ones. Or, the ones that make me loose faith in humanity. Pick your choice.

Gaebriel
31-08-2005, 21:13
Well, I make part of my living configuring ISDN installations and similar that the "official" company techs despaired with... One actually came three times over two weeks, fiddled around for about three hours in a row, before I was called...

Makes you wonder where these people learn...

Crazy Harborc
02-09-2005, 00:41
My wife and I are NOT very PC literate. A friend of our daughters is. He earns a good living trouble shooting.

He helped us to upgrade to DSL. He had one problem..........He called the tech people. He had a "direct" non switchboard phone number. (Everybody he knew was already gone for the day.)

He talked to a tech, got no real help. He asked to speak to the tech's supervisor. The super told him "he(the supervisor) couldn't help because he wasn't trained to. You'll have to upgrade the PC!!??" According to the DSL company it was up to us to upgrade because the employees in tech support were NOT trained on anything but the very latest systems and upgrades. :wtf:

We had bought everything from the company and been assured our PC was okay and could handle DSL. We are using DSL now. Thanks to our daughter's friend.

He REALLY raised hell with that supers bosses that next morning. We do wonder just how much business Mr "I'm not trained with that" caused to walk away?