PDA

View Full Version : Named Grey Knights

O'kais
22-09-2007, 17:11
Was just wondering how many Grey Knights have actually been named in fluff/Books? Just out of curiosity, Stern is the only one that springs to mind to me?

colmarekblack
22-09-2007, 17:18
Was just wondering how many Grey Knights have actually been named in fluff/Books? Just out of curiosity, Stern is the only one that springs to mind to me?

There was Grand Master Aurellian (sp?) the GK who banished Angron on Armageddon. And quite possibly Garro of the Deathguard became a GK as well, but don't take that as cannon.

heretics bane
22-09-2007, 17:20
There was another one who had a lightning-bolt shaped nemsis sword who banished an incredibly powerful deamon

Ktotwf
22-09-2007, 17:49
Grand Master Mandulis -died banishing the great Demon Prince Ghargatuloth

Justicar Alaric - star of the two Grey Knights novels

Terminator Justicar Tancred - swordsman who gave his life to help banish Ghargatuloth

colmarekblack
22-09-2007, 17:57
Has there ever been a named GKGM who hasn't died banishing an infamous daemon? Cause the Imperium are running out of these heroes if they keep dying to every known daemon in the galaxy, all the while the daemon can come back whilst the GK can't.

Progena
22-09-2007, 19:13
Has there ever been a named GKGM who hasn't died banishing an infamous daemon? Cause the Imperium are running out of these heroes if they keep dying to every known daemon in the galaxy, all the while the daemon can come back whilst the GK can't.

I don't think the current Grand Master of the Grey Knights have been identified with a name anywhere. Perhaps for the best. And Space Marines rarely (if ever) die of natural causes, and since the Grey Knights usually fight Daemons well... it's not so surprising that it's Daemons that kill them when they first die.

codicium_aeternum
22-09-2007, 19:28
brother dvorn - nemesis hammer - good prospects of promotion to terminator squad
brother haulvarn - psycannon
brother lykkos - psycannon
brother archios - incinerator
brother cardios - incinerator

ryng_sting
22-09-2007, 19:30
Brother-Captain Stern - the first named Grey Knight, to my knowledge. Banished M'Kachen twice and lived to tell the tale.

ctsteel
23-09-2007, 02:22
the Imperial Armour book to do with the Inquisition also names some grey knights who were interred into dreadnoughts:

Grandmaster Orias
Brother Captain Fidelis
Justicar Uphur
Brother Captain Valahar
Grand Master Aeneas

Chaplain Nikolai
23-09-2007, 02:27
I believe there are some Grey Knigh BL novels that will help you. I haven't read them, so the only one I can think of is Stern.

Celsius009
23-09-2007, 09:09

Well the reason why many of their names get remembered is because they vanquished an exceptional daemon :p. Stern would still be a nobody if he hadnt banished vulture-man twice. So the chapter isnt really running out of heroes so much as random "newbies" get recognition.

And there isnt a single grandmaster of the Grey Knights Chapter. I believe (could be wrong) that they actually have a council of Grandmasters that guide the chapter as a whole.

heretics bane
23-09-2007, 13:09
the Imperial Armour book to do with the Inquisition also names some grey knights who were interred into dreadnoughts:

Grandmaster Orias
Brother Captain Fidelis
Justicar Uphur
Brother Captain Valahar
Grand Master Aeneas

I though they rarely used dreadnoughts? could they still banish deamons even though there in a dready?

Progena
23-09-2007, 13:18
I though they rarely used dreadnoughts? could they still banish deamons even though there in a dready?

They have access to dreadsized Nemesis weps and Psycannons, so yes.

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 17:10
The reason GK dreads are rare is simply that a Grey Knight has to give personal consent before being interred and most of the GKs would rather croak and be buried on Titan. Most Marine Chapters just inter the candidate regardless (and CSMs have been known to inter candidates specifically because they didn't want to be plugged in).

The Guy
23-09-2007, 17:42
The reason GK dreads are rare is simply that a Grey Knight has to give personal consent before being interred and most of the GKs would rather croak and be buried on Titan. Most Marine Chapters just inter the candidate regardless (and CSMs have been known to inter candidates specifically because they didn't want to be plugged in).

Lol those chaos...so cruel :rolleyes: What I don't get though is if a GKs goal is to be buried on Titan, then why do they wear armour? :confused:

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 17:55
Because dying after the daemonic horde has been banished is heroic. Dropping in the first thirty seconds is just stupid.

The Guy
23-09-2007, 18:03
Ah if you're gonna go, do it with style ;) I think there should be more named GKs in the daemonhunters codex..they are humanitys greatest warriors afterall.

Celsius009
23-09-2007, 18:05
lol just because they want to get buried on titan doesnt mean they want to die. Its just sorta "well if I absolutely have to die, I'd prefer to be buried than be put in a dread."

And for the Chaos Dreadnoughts, is that why on a certain roll each turn they attack allies or something? Kinda a revenge thing? Or is that something completely different?

The Guy
23-09-2007, 18:08
Nah I think they're just crazy..and the chaos marines probably put the spikes INSIDE the dread too...

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 18:15
It's related. Baically any CSM put in a Dreadnought eventually goes psychotically insane from a combination of sensory deprivation and the realisation that they're not going to be released into the warp to meet the gods.

The Guy
23-09-2007, 18:23
Chaos Dread-:eek:Oh no! :eek: You mean I'm NOT going to get my sould devoured by a hideous warp entity? NOOOO this is the worst day of my life! :cries:

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 18:30
Pretty much, yes. Sanity is a relative concept where CSMs are concerned...

Progena
23-09-2007, 19:44
In the BL novel 'Grey Knights' it's stated that the greatest heroes of the Chapter were entombed with their wargear.

Then they started to run out of Aegis and Terminator suits, so they stopped entombing them with their armor.

Than they started to run out of Nemesis weapons, so they stopped putting those in the tombs as well.

Now they just open some tombs if they're short on anything. Smart huh?

The Guy
23-09-2007, 20:03
In the BL novel 'Grey Knights' it's stated that the greatest heroes of the Chapter were entombed with their wargear.

Then they started to run out of Aegis and Terminator suits, so they stopped entombing them with their armor.

Than they started to run out of Nemesis weapons, so they stopped putting those in the tombs as well.

Now they just open some tombs if they're short on anything. Smart huh?

No not really smart..just idiotic to waste all that armour like that :wtf:

Rossco
23-09-2007, 21:23
Back to actually naming Grey knights;) There was a Captain Pelega of the GK's named in the short story "Extremis Diabolus" which was published in UK WD295 as part of the Relictors fluff

naked_surfer
23-09-2007, 21:54

Grandmaster Orias
Brother Captain Fidelis
Justicar Uphur
Brother Captain Valahar
Grand Master Aeneas

Im sorry, but is that last one pronounced 'Grand Master Anus'? XD

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 21:56
En-ee-ass would be my take on the pronunciation.

naked_surfer
23-09-2007, 21:58
Yeah, you might be right. Shame =)

Progena
23-09-2007, 22:06
En-ee-ass would be my take on the pronunciation.

Doesn't sound much better man... GMs Orias and Aneas? Someone over at Forge World must have done a lot of laughing when the book was published... Freudian Jokes by FW...

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 22:22
Unlike Mad Donne Ulanti, which had no puns in it at all...although you could also argue for en-Ee-uss

stormblade
24-09-2007, 08:35
Im sorry, but is that last one pronounced 'Grand Master Anus'? XD

- It depends on whether you are using traditional or classical latin. (And if you are using traditional- which one)