PDA

View Full Version : Soul Armour

Brother Enok
22-09-2007, 18:31
This could be in the wrong forums, so if it is, my appologise.

Anywho, a space marine chaplains Razarius, or soul armour works by projecting a force field around him to protect him from harm if my fluff knowledge is up to scratch, but how does this force field manifest? Does it surround him like a bubble (Think sonic the Hedgehog type thing) encase him completly like a second suit of armour at the moment the attack connects, or does it work through other means?

I ask because I am currently working on a diorama of a SM chaplain confronting a deamon prince. When finished it will show the DP bathing the chaplain in infernal warp energy, which the chaplain will stand before, unbowed, as his soul armour protects him.

As always, your knowledge, feedback and ideas would be greatly appreciated

Michael

Adra
22-09-2007, 18:35
in the text its often described as a bubble or curved surface that shimmers slightly in the light when active, and flares brightly when struck. i also imagine it could come in an interlocking plate form, such as many flat areas surrounding the wearer shimmering like very thin glass as he moves. its also conceavable that it exists a few inches away from the armour surface but ive never seen it described this way.

Spyros80
22-09-2007, 18:38
According to 2nd ed. fluff (which is richer), the Rosarius incorporates a Conversion Field. A Conversion field is always "on", like an invisible bubble, that converts the incoming energy from shooting and close combat hits into light. In the old rules every successful save created a blinding attack on any models nearby.

Brother Enok
22-09-2007, 18:47
Thanks alot guys, im looking into possible ways off modeling that now. Im thinking of a transparent plastic ball with the chaplain mounted inside, would that sound correct to you?

Progena
22-09-2007, 18:51
The Rosarius works on both CC and Ranged attacks (unlike many vehicle mounted ones IIRC) so it would be slightly odd if it was a perfect sphere. You should be able to get close enough to bypass the shield and land a strike.

What has always struck me as odd is how you'd fire a weapon or strike at someone from behind the powerfield that keeps you safe?

Always imagined shields to be tinted blue (like the distruption fields of Power Weapons).

Brother Enok
22-09-2007, 18:53
hrmmm, any idea on how to model this then? or should I request that in the modelling forums?

precinctomega
22-09-2007, 18:59
I've seen similar efforts made before, with force fields represented by plastic balls. A word of advice: they always look like plastic balls.

Whilst trying to talk about "force fields" in terms of real physics is always a bit futile, it is best to imagine that the field generator is a reative implement. It creates an incoherent field around the wearer that is invisible in normal light (although it does create a slight nimbus in low light conditions). A major energy disruption in the field (such as that caused by a high velocity round or laser) causes the field energy to coallesce at the speed of light, absorbing and dispersing the energy of the attack through the field matrix.

A conversion field (surprise, surprise) converts the impact energy into light. A refractor field converts it into kinetic energy at an angle oblique to the angle of the field generator. In other words, it makes the shot "bounce off" the field.

For modelling purposes, what I'd suggest is something like a ping-pong ball or very thin plastic ball. But don't use the whole ball. Cut it into a sort of "flash" shape so that the flash emanates out from the impact against the field. that should achieve the same effect without making the chaplain look like the Boy In The Bubble.

R.

Brother Enok
22-09-2007, 19:03
I've seen similar efforts made before, with force fields represented by plastic balls. A word of advice: they always look like plastic balls.

Whilst trying to talk about "force fields" in terms of real physics is always a bit futile, it is best to imagine that the field generator is a reative implement. It creates an incoherent field around the wearer that is invisible in normal light (although it does create a slight nimbus in low light conditions). A major energy disruption in the field (such as that caused by a high velocity round or laser) causes the field energy to coallesce at the speed of light, absorbing and dispersing the energy of the attack through the field matrix.

A conversion field (surprise, surprise) converts the impact energy into light. A refractor field converts it into kinetic energy at an angle oblique to the angle of the field generator. In other words, it makes the shot "bounce off" the field.

For modelling purposes, what I'd suggest is something like a ping-pong ball or very thin plastic ball. But don't use the whole ball. Cut it into a sort of "flash" shape so that the flash emanates out from the impact against the field. that should achieve the same effect without making the chaplain look like the Boy In The Bubble.

R.

I understand, thanks for the advice and information. using that knowledge, how would you show streaks of warp energy bending around a chaplains soul armour? would you use a similar method, or just make the energy so that it bends around the chaplain without using any other visual aide?

Spyros80
22-09-2007, 19:33
Since we are talking about creating a model, some artistic liberty is at hand. I would try to show the warp energy as a black-violet coloured fire. Trying to make lightning shapes would be to much for me. As for the field, it wouldn't really appear apart from the flash, so perhaps the best way is to shape the warp fires hemi-spherically around the chaplain (to represent the field blocking them). That's for the outside of the field, covered in warp.For the inside, which would be hemi-spherical, I would try to paint it like bright light (don't know how) with tiny stings (won't know from what material) connecting the field's inside surface to the Rosarius.
The whole representation should be as close a possible to the chaplain, since it is supposed to protect from HtH as well.

Brother Enok
22-09-2007, 19:42
Ok, so how to reprensent the warp energy. Its a Tzeentch Deamon prince, so I mange it using the bolt of change. I can imagine it shooting out from the DP hand as a sheet of multicoloured fire that mutates and burns, but im not sure how to model it. Make a sheet of flames from green stuff, a lone of energy bursting into a ball of fire where it strikes?