PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Necromunda? Could it? Should it?

Damien 1427
22-09-2007, 21:56
I was pondering a theme for a new Van Saar gang, reluctant to ressurect the Red Army (A hilarious collection of Soviet stereotypes :rolleyes:), and with my obsession with steampunk, I came up with the Men of Science (It has to be bolded and italicised), because although the Five Fists of Science would be cool, it implies there are either five members (Not very wise) or three members with one being horrible crippled.

This lead to rather strange ideas on Lasguns or Plasma Cannons with Tesla coils (Because it's the done thing), steam-powered chainswords, and the general steampunkery of outrageous sideburns, goggles and gentlemen called Blenkins and Cockfoster. Of course, if I were to follow this though, it could lead to some odd things... After all, could you imagine Hive Primus being fuelled by steam and lit by gaslight? Clockwork autoguns, "steamborg" pitslaves, Delaques in long coats and bowler hats, maybe Spyrers as rare and powerful elctrically-powered suits of armour!

So, does this idea have merit?

feintstar
23-09-2007, 01:24
Merit? It's pure unadulterated burnished Platinum!!!

Only problem is the converting tikme, and where you can find the bits. After all, you'll also have to throw in all the flippery of Napoleonic and Late 19th century costumery, which isn't easy or cheap to come by in the model range really. I can only see commissars and Orks with the right collection of bits and bobs.

NeonWraith
23-09-2007, 11:10
I have to agree, this is a singularly brilliant idea.

In fact, it's so brilliant, I may have to attempt it myself...though I'd be tempted to use the new Orlocks as dock worker types using heavy gear powered revolvers...

Edit:

Just a thought, but in Bioshock one of the upgrades you can get for the shotgun adds 3 little gas cylinders and a load of small piping to a part of the gun..the other adds cogs and gears...just thought I'd mention it if you were still looking for ideas.

I agree with feintstar as well, the parts are gonna be something of a pain, tesla coils especially.

Damien 1427
23-09-2007, 16:42
A Bioshock conversion, Rapture ~ Paradise Lost (http://east1427.livejournal.com/167064.html), is another project I'm playing with. However, I'm using LOTOW/LOTR for that.

I imagine bits could be easy to pilfer from Warmachine, and tesla coils ala C&C are easy to build, provided you have the paitence.

NeonWraith
23-09-2007, 18:58
Well, the thought of making them by just taking a paper clip (or similiar) and wrapping it round a thin pen did occur to me, it just sounded really fiddly upon closer thought, as I imagine you'd have a horrendous rate of them snapping for every one you managed to actually build.

Edit:

Another thought occurs to me: If the lasguns are using tesla coils, why not have the tesla coil as a back unit (thus being somewhat larger) complete with bulky cabling to attach to the gun?

...This will also require me to sit and watch both Van Helsing and The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen for more references...

Eazy-O
24-09-2007, 02:28
The WHFB Dwarfs may have something to suit your needs. The plastic cannon crew from Battle of skull pass might be useful too. Not sure though. Depends how much you like sculpting and scratchbuilding.

If you don't overdo it, it might be cool. If you do overdo it, it might be wacky cool. ;)

Catferret
26-09-2007, 10:41
You so need to get hold of a copy of Arcanum right now. It was a great game. Fully of cool techno-widgets. It may help inspire some creations.

Damien 1427
26-09-2007, 12:52
Eh, Arcanum was alright, but I found it slow going as a game. For aesthetic value, I find Bioshock (Especially with the customised firearms) superior. Could even play on the Splicer aesthetic for Wyrds (Dishelleved giggling sociopaths that twitch and move like daemons).

NeonWraith
26-09-2007, 18:35
Grenade launchers strike me as an appropriately steampunk weapon...though I'm imagining something belt fed, I dunno really...

Also, I do have one question: Are you going to include plasma weaponry at all? And if so, how?

Damien 1427
26-09-2007, 19:05
I was thinking the regular wepaons would be "solid-shot" and "fixed" weapons. Namely Stub Guns, Shotguns, Autopistols, Autoguns, Stubbers, Autocannons, Grenade Launchers, Rocket Launchers, Flamers, Knives, Clubs, Flails, Swords and Massive Hand Weapons.

I was thinking that "basic" energy weapons like Laspistols, Lasguns, Plasma Pistols, Plasma Guns and so forth could be "rare". Modelling wise, I'm thinking a crude backpack generator, tesla coils and lots of piping. Las/Plas Cannons are out of the question though.

NeonWraith
26-09-2007, 20:37
I must admit, I dunno if I've the skill to pull any of this, but this thread strikes a chord with me...think I'll have to attempt some of this when I get paid, but, as I said earlier, using Orlocks.

Anyone got any suggestions on where to find really small cogs/gears?

Witchfire
26-09-2007, 20:40
definately

Weagmacht
26-09-2007, 21:24
Anyone got any suggestions on where to find really small cogs/gears?

Try GS'ing the first couple, then make a GS mold and start casting. It's a decent way of creating lots of little bits that are otherwise hard to find. Of course it would depend on how small you are talking - past a certain point, the detail in a cog at 28mm scale becomes a bit hard to manage.

I think there's been mention of casting from time to time on these here forums - one example (http://warseer.com/painting/a_guide_to_green_stuff_casting?highlight=casting), and GW themselves have a tutorial someplace on their site.

You could also look at craft shops for clock-building kits, or find old broken wristwatches and crack open the cases to scrounge the workings!

Good luck in your search.

chromedog
27-09-2007, 11:00
Lascannons or plascannons wouldn't necessarily be 'right out'.
You could give them "lightning discharge" weapons that either 'fire' an electrical arc, or some kind of generated "ball lightning" (I've see it done using a microwave oven - of course, the microwave was not good for cooking with afterwards.) and AFAIK, the heavy plas still uses the old 2nd ed stats (full power means it has to recharge for a turn [?]) so that would be an acceptable compromise.

More tesla coils, though. always more tesla coils. Oh, add "The prestige" to your watching list. Nicola tesla is in it, and his quantum teleportation device is a marvel.

floyd pinkerton
27-09-2007, 17:27
coolness, I'd suggest warmachine bits.

NeonWraith
29-09-2007, 21:33
I can't believe it's taken me this long to remember this, but surely if you're doing steampunk you'll need to sculpt a pair of brass goggles for every character? :p

*goes back to trying to find somewhere that sells person sized brass googles*

Edit:

Also, his name was Nikola Tesla. And he was completely insane...admittedly, he had one thing right, but his idea on power transfer was mad.

Damien 1427
29-09-2007, 21:43
But of course.

I might... acquire them from WM figures, but I'd be tempted to do Goggles, Scopes and Devices based on World of Warcraft Engineering. Namely Deathblow X11 Goggles, the Biznicks 247x128 Accurascope and how I envision the Death and Shrink Rays.

NeonWraith
30-09-2007, 14:39
That's a highly valid idea, though I also reccomend the Green Lens series as well, maybe for a sniper..

I'd also be tempted to use something like the fantasy dwarf scopes (small at the 'eye' end, bigger at the other side), but that may be a matter of personal taste.

And damn it, why is steampunk cosplay type stuff so hard to find? :( :mad:

Daredhnu
30-09-2007, 19:07
it's not strictly steampunk but the webcomic Girl Genius has lots of mad science, goggles and steam powered robots.
and the comic is fun too. find it here (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20021104)
hope it helps you guys.

i really like the ideas by the way maybe i'll build a steampunk orlock too hmm.
then again i have way to much stuff to do already.

FraustyTheSnowman
30-09-2007, 20:40
I think lascannons and plascannons would actually be more appropriate than their smaller cousins, as usually when stuff like that is invented you start off making some huge godawful thing, and then finding ways to make it smaller and more manportable...

Eazy-O
01-10-2007, 08:17
I think lascannons and plascannons would actually be more appropriate than their smaller cousins, as usually when stuff like that is invented you start off making some huge godawful thing, and then finding ways to make it smaller and more manportable...

Ya, it'd be appropriate to have plasma/las cannon sized devices that count as plasma/las guns. :D Sure it's big when you invent it, but the performance is usually shoddy as well. Cue first computers. :P

What i said might be a bit overdoing it, and i suppose we can suspend our disbelief for a bit more since we're doing sci-fi anyway. :)

NeonWraith
01-10-2007, 18:20
Since my current job leaves quite a lot of spare time for daydreaming, I've decided that the sawn off shotgun is a fairly steampunk weapon, and can look quite nifty, except I'm not overly sure where to start when it comes to converting one...any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Eazy-O
02-10-2007, 14:42
If scratchbuilding isn't up your alley, you could always get your hands on some of the new Orlock shotguns and "saw" them off. ;)

Comes on these sprues: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059911818&orignav=9
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059911820&orignav=9

NeonWraith
03-10-2007, 18:46
If scratchbuilding isn't up your alley, you could always get your hands on some of the new Orlock shotguns and "saw" them off. ;)

You raise an entirely valid point sir....nothing but good things can come from this :)

Edit:

Ok, this is mostly directed at Damien, but any input's helpful:

Any idea where I can find visual references for steampunks style? Especially images of the whole overgrown steam engine with huge numbers of cogs and gears type stuff, as I need image references for a tattoo design.

Eazy-O
05-10-2007, 03:08
Here's a tat for inspiration. :P (found it online somewhere a while ago) PM me if you want a bigger version. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v673/helldudes/steampunktat.jpg

Also, just Google for images for: steam punk cogs gears... Make combinations of those or something. Stuff comes up eventually.

Angelwing
05-10-2007, 14:30
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG13-0101

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/steampunk/art.html

Try these. The steampunk and steamtech GURPS books are full of artwork and inspiration.

Damien 1427
05-10-2007, 19:01
http://www.warehouse23.com/item.html?id=SJG13-0101

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/steampunk/art.html

Try these. The steampunk and steamtech GURPS books are full of artwork and inspiration.

I... acquired those a while back.

*Cough*

NeonWraith
05-10-2007, 20:45
Eazy-O - That tattoo is the same idea as what I want done...except mine'll be a full sleeve, and have some images stolen from other sources/stuff that's important to me incorporated into it...for example the Adeptus Mechanicus cog will be in there somewhere...

Well, that's the theory anyway, I've yet to find a tattoo artist with a sufficiently high nerd quota to be able to help me.

Eazy-O
06-10-2007, 13:01
I've yet to find a tattoo artist with a sufficiently high nerd quota to be able to help me.

Co-Admin of The Eastern Fringe Forums David "McCragge" Graham runs a tattoo parlor in Vancouver. Here's his MySpace, since that's all i could really find: http://www.myspace.com/mccragge

Dunno where you're located, so... Let's return to our regularly scheduled programme. :)

NeonWraith
06-10-2007, 14:58
See, tempting though it is, I'm not hopping the pond just for a tattoo :p

I currently reside on the edges of London, pretty much next door to Heathrow airport (I can hear the jet engines idling as I type this).