PDA

View Full Version : What are Imperial Assassins?

O'kais
23-09-2007, 02:26
Highly trained humans? Geneticly modified "space marine light" humans? Bred specificly for becoming an assassin?

Lord Merlin
23-09-2007, 03:24
They have to have a natural ability. Then they are sent to the officio assitorum and trained in the art of killing they are most suited to.

LordXaras
23-09-2007, 03:27
If I recall correctly, their recruitment is similar to that of the Space Marines, but probably even more extreme. I believe agents within each Temple (and probably Inquisitors too) prowl the streets of the Imperium for exceptional orphans and take them to their Temple world to begin their training. Naturally, all the Temples have different recruitment techniques and will be looking for different properties.

For example, the Eversor Temple might make to with a pit-fighter or a convicted mass-murderer and then tune them into completely obedient killing machines, while the Callidus and Vindicare would seek ordinary humans displaying extraordinary abilities that could be useful for service within the Temple. The Culexus seek a very specific type of recruits, meaning that they would probably rely a lot on Inquisitorial agents to find potential Pariahs for training.

HiveFleetEzekial
23-09-2007, 03:40
There's a story in the collection titled DEATHWING about an assassin and the training she has to endure.. along with some rather harsh other methods for doing her job (that she accepts). Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it off hand (no doubt someone'll be along to list it), but you could give the book a read (some other good stories in it as well), and find it in there, for some insight into it.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
23-09-2007, 04:11
Just a little insight. I read this in some fan-fic but I think it's based on something I read in canon fluff.

Certain (Culexus i think) Assassins can be theoretically thousands of years old since they're kept in stasis inbetween missions.

My vote goes for vat grown clones who are all the same, and kept in stasis pods when not being used, no personality, programmed brains, the idea is that they have to be 100% reliable, personality and free thinking is not reliable.

Green-is-best
23-09-2007, 04:12
My understanding is that the Temple select recruits of extra-ordinary ability at or around the age that Space Marines do. However, since the Temples require significantly less man power than even a Marine Chapter, they employ much harsher selection methods. Those very few that are selected must then survive training. So, the end result are assassins selected to near perfection down to the genetic level who are then given cybernetic, chemical, and biological enhancement to hone their already preternatural killing abilities into the galaxy's sharpest edge.

So, yes, an Imperial assassin is human. However, they are as close to being super human as one can be without being a Space Marine.

Noserenda
23-09-2007, 04:40
My understanding is that the Temple select recruits of extra-ordinary ability at or around the age that Space Marines do. However, since the Temples require significantly less man power than even a Marine Chapter, they employ much harsher selection methods. Those very few that are selected must then survive training. So, the end result are assassins selected to near perfection down to the genetic level who are then given cybernetic, chemical, and biological enhancement to hone their already preternatural killing abilities into the galaxy's sharpest edge.

So, yes, an Imperial assassin is human. However, they are as close to being super human as one can be without being a Space Marine.

Thats pretty much the biscuit they also recruit heavily from Primitive worlds to get a bit more darwinism on the go, and to make sure the have no other alligence.

Oh and its EVasor assassins kept in the freezer :D

Grimbad
23-09-2007, 06:34
Death with two legs and a gun. Or, technically, highly trained human saboteurs. But death with two legs and a gun sounds better.

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 09:48
Eversor description has already been given.
Vindicares would probably be picked up from a Schola, if they were hitting every target, every time, dead center, for years and years.
Culexus description has alread been given.
There's an example of a Callidus Assassin in the Thorian book. She was an orphan but she managed to stalk the governor's daughter, butcher her when no one was looking and manage to successfully stand in her place for three years, until the Inquisition came along.

These are the feats expected of possible candidates.

Tehkonrad
23-09-2007, 10:05
chilltouch you hate atu and yet avatar is of a fire warrior :wtf:
on topic: that about sums it up

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 10:22
I don't hate Tau. I just know that Tau are weak nad they will probably be crushed by the other powers that be, if they could be bothered.

Besides, I like this avatar.

Tehkonrad
23-09-2007, 10:28
WOW..Now it makes sense
also you get a prize of my praise (its valuable) for actually responding to an avatar question :D

do you know what wintermutes avatar is Pic of?
thats worth a super mega happy fun prize!

on topic: How could she hide for 3 years :wtf:
she stole some polymorphine maby?

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 10:31
Nope. She hid purely by her own initiative. Hair dye, makeup, whatever. All that matters is that she impersonated the daughter of a very important official for a very long time.

Cosmetics can get you a long way.

Biomass Denial
23-09-2007, 10:40
Can you imagine the dads face when the =I= show up and take the girl. "Hey thats my daughter"=I="Actuley this is a random orphan who butchered your daughter 3 years ago and who you have being loving in her place bye"

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 10:43
Indeed. He raged and raged about having the girl executed but it was declined and he was left there daughterless.

codicium_aeternum
23-09-2007, 12:22
he got 3 bonus years after his daughter was killed... and anyway the assassin was probably far nicer to him to avoid her being put under scrutiny to see "what latest stunt she is up to"

so he should shut his fat governer ass up...

also the tau arent weak, they are simply blinded to their own strengths

LordXaras
23-09-2007, 12:29
Bob Plisskin;1937667']Certain (Culexus i think) Assassins can be theoretically thousands of years old since they're kept in stasis inbetween missions.That would be the Eversor Assassins, because 1) they are too dangerous to be kept active 2) their bio-modifications essentially make them an advanced form of Chrono-gladiators - they have a very limited lifespan as the amount of drugs needed to simply keep them going slowly destroys them from the inside. Essentially, the method of handling Eversors is: send a small vessel with a minimal crew, feed the Assassin the mission information (hypno-indoctrinally or something), then fire them onto the planet's surface. At no point does the Eversor interact with loyal Imperials, because it can't differentiate between targets.

Norminator
23-09-2007, 12:35
The description of an Eversor butchering its way through a Tau base in IA3 really shows how brutal they are. I'd imagine that the Temple must recruit psycopaths and other deranged mass murderers, before making honing their skills and just dropping them in to slaughter everything in their path.

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 12:54
If I remember correctly, one of the Temples has a charming habit of annually locking the trainees in a room, providing only enough food, water and air to keep half of them alive and then leaving said room for a couple of weeks...

chrome_ghoul
23-09-2007, 12:54
There's a story in the collection titled DEATHWING about an assassin and the training she has to endure.. along with some rather harsh other methods for doing her job (that she accepts). Unfortunately I can't remember the name of it off hand (no doubt someone'll be along to list it), but you could give the book a read (some other good stories in it as well), and find it in there, for some insight into it.

It's called "The alien beast within" by Ian Watson. The main character Meh'lindi is a calidus assasin who has her ability to use polymorphine to assume any human form curtailed by a series of implants that, when used in conjuntion with poly morphine, allow her to assume the form of a genestealer hybrid. The downside being that she can only ever assume her own form and the hybrid form.

Progena
23-09-2007, 13:14
The Schola Progenium is a great place to pick up potential recruits for just about anything. The Progena are utterly loyal and obedient. They're all unwanted orphans of Imperial servants so no one will complain about them going (which isn't really important) and they're untraceable.

Green-is-best
23-09-2007, 17:12
The description of an Eversor butchering its way through a Tau base in IA3 really shows how brutal they are. I'd imagine that the Temple must recruit psycopaths and other deranged mass murderers, before making honing their skills and just dropping them in to slaughter everything in their path.

I actually kind of imagine they're picked simply for their physical potential. They're so hopped up on crazy juice by the time the Temple is done training them that even Mother Theresa would be a frothing lunatic.

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 17:15
True, but it probably helps if they're..erm...enthusiastic about the job to start with

Slaaneshi Slave
23-09-2007, 17:15
I'd imagine they are born into the temple, rather than recruited from outside.

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 17:20
I'm sorry, now I've got a vision of two Eversors trying to do the nasty...

Slaaneshi Slave
23-09-2007, 17:22
More like a vision of an Ad Mech priest telling the machine to inseminate another batch of eggs, since they need a new crop of eggs. :p

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 17:24
Probably. But as a Slaaneshi worshipper, I'd imagine the previous option somehow appealed more.

And it's probably less fuss just to take the 'Most Violent Player' of each scrumball season from each Schola Progenium and induct them.

LordXaras
23-09-2007, 17:26
Also, something I forgot earlier. The Temples are in a similar situation as the Space Marines - the number of people who actually pass all the tests are too few to deal with the upkeep of their Temples, so (like the Space Marines) it is likely that many of the Temples keep failed initiates (those who don't end up dead) and train them as administrators, recruiters, etc.

Slaaneshi Slave
23-09-2007, 17:34
I'd imagine that once you have done even part of the training to become an Eversor (for example) you're mind would be too warped to do such routine work as an admin clerk.

Boss: You must finish that task NOW!
Failed Assassin: YOU MUST DIE NOW!!!

LordXaras
23-09-2007, 17:38
That's why I said "many" of the Temples, not all. Besides, I'm sure failed Eversors could become Servitors in many cases.

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 17:39
Actually, I honestly doubt they'd keep them as sentient beings - with their combat techniques and implants, they could go and berserk on everything.

They'd just be servitorized, while the adminstration and recruiting would be done by Inquisitorial representatives.

Ardathair
23-09-2007, 18:17
It's called "The alien beast within" by Ian Watson. The main character Meh'lindi is a calidus assasin who has her ability to use polymorphine to assume any human form curtailed by a series of implants that, when used in conjuntion with poly morphine, allow her to assume the form of a genestealer hybrid. The downside being that she can only ever assume her own form and the hybrid form.

That was from Inquisitor (reprinted as Draco) by Ian Watson.

In Rogue Trader they are described as, "Assassins are recruited from feral worlds as infants and undergo ten years of extensive training....."

In Inquisitor, Me'Lindi is concidered an oddity in that she was old enough when she was recruited to have memories of her family and her name. When the instructors repeatedly refered to her by her assigned name she decked one of them and shouted "Me Lindi" from which her later name was derived.

As far as I am concerned, Imperial Assassins are recruited as infants. Serial killers, mass murderers, etc... are concined to the penal legions, arcoflagulants, penitents, servitors, etc....

Green-is-best
23-09-2007, 18:28
That was from Inquisitor (reprinted as Draco) by Ian Watson.

In Rogue Trader they are described as, "Assassins are recruited from feral worlds as infants and undergo ten years of extensive training....."

In Inquisitor, Me'Lindi is concidered an oddity in that she was old enough when she was recruited to have memories of her family and her name. When the instructors repeatedly refered to her by her assigned name she decked one of them and shouted "Me Lindi" from which her later name was derived.

As far as I am concerned, Imperial Assassins are recruited as infants. Serial killers, mass murderers, etc... are concined to the penal legions, arcoflagulants, penitents, servitors, etc....

Meh, I prefer the older recruitment. If you're recruiting babies, how do you know if you've got a strong one or not? They're all just cuddily balls of butter!

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 18:28
If she'd been picked up at the age of, say, 3 or 4 standard, that would explain her knowing her name.

Ardathair
23-09-2007, 18:37
Meh, I prefer the older recruitment. If you're recruiting babies, how do you know if you've got a strong one or not? They're all just cuddily balls of butter!

Pick up a thousand todlers, and expect one or two to pan out. By recruiting from Feral Worlds, the chances of sucess are increased.

These are not squeemish people who baulk at some kids dieing because they doesn't measure up.

NotMyIfurita
23-09-2007, 18:37
[QUOTE=Tehkonrad;1938277]
do you know what wintermutes avatar is Pic of?
thats worth a super mega happy fun prize!
QUOTE]

Wintermute's Avatar is an ABC combat robot from Judge Dredd.

god octo
23-09-2007, 18:44
[QUOTE=Green-is-best;1939241They're so hopped up on crazy juice by the time the Temple is done training them that even Mother Theresa would be a frothing lunatic.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that the Assassins are drugged. Any drugging could affect their killing skills. They are most likely heavily indoctrinated, or have their minds wiped clean and then rebuilt.

If that is the case, Mother Theresa wouldn't be herself, she would be killing machine 7483 and would rather take your eyes than pray for you, with or without the drugs.

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 18:53
Most Temples aren't. The Eversor most definitely are, to the point that their immune system has to be hopped up to the point where it can constantly stop them from exploding.

Eversor dies, immune system stops working, Eversor corpse goes boom.

god octo
23-09-2007, 18:55
Opps, I forgot about the Eversors. Vindicares most likely aren't, as the frothing would get in the way of their vision, and any drugs could react with a Callidus' Polymorphine.

Death cult assassins, on the other hand, may be entirely hyped up on drugs.

The Guy
23-09-2007, 19:03
I'd imagine that once you have done even part of the training to become an Eversor (for example) you're mind would be too warped to do such routine work as an admin clerk.

Boss: You must finish that task NOW!
Failed Assassin: YOU MUST DIE NOW!!!

Lol that made me laugh :D I can just imagine a big fat boss yelling at an eversor in a suit and tie [still with the skull on] then starts beating the boss with his briefcase and car keys.

god octo
23-09-2007, 19:07
Lol that made me laugh :D I can just imagine a big fat boss yelling at an eversor in a suit and tie [still with the skull on] then starts beating the boss with his briefcase and car keys.

Or he picks up the table and beats the boss to death, before starting on the rest of the work force, who are all too bored to attempt to resist. Ah, the danger of filling for 6 hours...

Progena
23-09-2007, 20:05
More like a vision of an Ad Mech priest telling the machine to inseminate another batch of eggs, since they need a new crop of eggs. :p

What about a Mechanicus Magos that spends two months trying to figure out what his newly aquired, pink, phallic shaped piece of Archaotech does?

Oh, and you might not want to envision that, I didn't.

If you deprive a child of physical and emotional contact you could easily produce a psychopath ('Erikson's Theory of Psychososial Development' and 'Social Determinism').

The Guy
23-09-2007, 20:16
Or he picks up the table and beats the boss to death, before starting on the rest of the work force, who are all too bored to attempt to resist. Ah, the danger of filling for 6 hours...

Or one of the workers turns out to be Arnie ;)
Eversor- Raaagghhhh eversor angry! eversor go green soon! :mad:
Arnie- Hostalavista,baby
Eversor- Raaaghhhh necron Raaaaghhhhh *Throws keyboard at Arnie*
Arnie- *pulls out shotgun from bunch of flowers* Buff you *******!
Evesor- *plugs Arnie into USB port and downloads the terminator films on him*
Arnie- Nooooo I die! Three times! And the third movie is awful! Ahhh *Throws himelf into molten metal*
Eversor- *Goes back to work on his strangely undamaged computer*

O'kais
23-09-2007, 20:47

Hmm so maybe there IS a place for the Eversor in the daily works of the imperium?
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6695/eversorwm7.png

Outlaw289
23-09-2007, 20:54
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/914/eversorbz4.jpg

Link leads to a cool picture of a female eversor.

As for how assassins are, I compare them to characters in Metal Gear solid for a refernece.

Vindicare Assassins I imagine as 'Solid Snake' type characters, if that makes sense. They're mentally all there, and not brainwashed, but very mission oriented and exceedingly capable individuals. Maybe thats not how the fluff would lead you to believe, but that is how I like to see. I also like the Dawn of War interpretation of Vindicare Assassins.

Culexus Assassins I imagine to be a lot like Psycho Mantis. Very brooding and mysterious, though I suppose its ironic because one is psychic and one isn't.

The Guy
23-09-2007, 20:57
Hmm so maybe there IS a place for the Eversor in the daily works of the imperium?
http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/6695/eversorwm7.png

LMAO!
And that female eversor looks a bit too...happy and seductive IMO.

LordXaras
23-09-2007, 22:11
And that female eversor looks a bit too...happy and seductive IMO.Not if you imagine that she is seeing you as a dissection experiment.

Outlaw289
23-09-2007, 22:15
And that female eversor looks a bit too...happy and seductive IMO.

I interpreted it as insanity. The kid of sadistic pleasure a psychopath takes from killing, smiling at the thought of eviscerating her prey.

Kandarin
23-09-2007, 22:38
Also, something I forgot earlier. The Temples are in a similar situation as the Space Marines - the number of people who actually pass all the tests are too few to deal with the upkeep of their Temples, so (like the Space Marines) it is likely that many of the Temples keep failed initiates (those who don't end up dead) and train them as administrators, recruiters, etc.

Sounds reasonable, although the only one I can see actually trying to get survivors are the Culexus. Human pariahs have far too many other uses to be thrown away.

Noserenda
23-09-2007, 22:45
Evasors as originally written up in the WD article waay back when werent psychopaths naturally, it was the big bucket o' combat stims they downed before every mission that sent them loopy :chrome:

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 23:00
Sounds reasonable, although the only one I can see actually trying to get survivors are the Culexus. Human pariahs have far too many other uses to be thrown away.

About the only temple that will have a problem with survivors is the Eversor. I always wondered how you got the drug-crazed, eye-blurringly quick, psychopathic killing machine back into the stasis tank.

Outlaw289
23-09-2007, 23:30
About the only temple that will have a problem with survivors is the Eversor. I always wondered how you got the drug-crazed, eye-blurringly quick, psychopathic killing machine back into the stasis tank.

Hypnosis. Wait for the drugs to wear off and say the hypnotic trigger word. Wouldn't be hard when you have a lifetime to train them.

Evasors as originally written up in the WD article waay back when werent psychopaths naturally, it was the big bucket o' combat stims they downed before every mission that sent them loopy :chrome:

So did the insanity wear off with time/as the effects of the drugs subsided, or did the repeated drug ingestion make them permanently crazy?

Vaulkhar
24-09-2007, 00:37
Eversors are kept in stasis in between missions, so essentially they spend their entire lives on a drug-fuelled killing spree. From the assassin's standpoint, it's firmly in the 'permanently crazy' bracket.

Sai-Lauren
24-09-2007, 12:28
Hmm, has no one else actually read the Assassins codices?

They are basically dredged up en masse from less advanced worlds before they're five years old and taken on ships back to the Offico's training worlds, although their "training" starts on board - they're often left with very little air, food or water, exposed to hostile conditions and so on.

Those that actually survive the journey go into formal training, where they are enhanced, ranging from the addition of new organs (Eversors have two hearts in case the first gets destroyed, whilst Callidus get implants to help with impersonating non-humans), to modifications of their neural pathways and so on. Add in hypnotherapy, indoctrination and weapons/equipment training, plus the high probability that they're injected with toxins and diseases to build up resistances (and kill off the weakest).

Should they fail in any test (and they start with live-fire excercises and go up from there :eek:), there's no opportunity for them to resit it - they're dead.

I always wondered how you got the drug-crazed, eye-blurringly quick, psychopathic killing machine back into the stasis tank.
Eversors presumably have hypnotically implanted "hard-wired" commands and limiters - once they've finished their mission and eliminated their target, they likely return to their (hidden) cryogenic pod, plug themselves in and shutdown, awaiting imperial forces to reclaim them ready for their next mission.

The Guy
24-09-2007, 19:22
I interpreted it as insanity. The kid of sadistic pleasure a psychopath takes from killing, smiling at the thought of eviscerating her prey.

Yes but she wouldn't stop to take her mask off and smile would she? She'd run in there screaming and hacking at whatever is nearest to her. Like they do ;)

Nargrakhan
24-09-2007, 19:38
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/914/eversorbz4.jpg

Link leads to a cool picture of a female eversor.

Oh yes! Hawt sexy mama! You can gut me in nine dozen agonizing, soul shattering, instant insanity inducing ways and I'd let ya do it!

Hubba-hubba! Yeeeehaw! :)

Outlaw289
24-09-2007, 19:43
Yes but she wouldn't stop to take her mask off and smile would she? She'd run in there screaming and hacking at whatever is nearest to her. Like they do ;)

Well if its okay with the mods for me to continue this barely-on-topic speculation, mayhaps its as she is closing in on her last victim?

Or maybe its just fanart I found on 4chan.

The Guy
24-09-2007, 19:48
Hmm possibly. But back on topic now...Is it possible that they breed culexus? To increase the chances of getting the pariah gene? [not that they are much use anyway]

Nargrakhan
24-09-2007, 19:50
Well if its okay with the mods for me to continue this barely-on-topic speculation, mayhaps its as she is closing in on her last victim?

I think it would all depend on the victim. I mean some "run of the mill" trooper wouldn't even get a look of scorn, because of how pathetic the kill was.

However if the target she was approaching took an incredible amount of time, effort, and resources to subdue - a mighty being of incredible power - then she might do something as the image shows... savoring the kill with her own eyes in psychotic, grim satisfaction.

Oh... I love women like that... I really do! :evilgrin:

The Guy
24-09-2007, 19:54
I think it would all depend on the victim. I mean some "run of the mill" trooper wouldn't even get a look of scorn, because of how pathetic the kill was.

However if the target she was approaching took an incredible amount of time, effort, and resources to subdue - a mighty being of incredible power - then she might do something as the image shows... savoring the kill with her own eyes in psychotic, grim satisfaction.

Oh... I love women like that... I really do! :evilgrin:

*Readies bolt pistol for possible signs of slaaneshiness*

Tehkonrad
24-09-2007, 23:25
this is getting really awkward..

Nargrakhan
25-09-2007, 01:12
Ah... sorry about that... my ramblings and insanities tend to throw threads off topic. My sincere apology. Just ignore this lusting psychopath. :)

MadDogMike
25-09-2007, 05:15
Hmm possibly. But back on topic now...Is it possible that they breed culexus? To increase the chances of getting the pariah gene? [not that they are much use anyway]

This assumes the Imperium knows the Pariah trait is genetic, which I'm not entirely sure anyone in setting apart from the Necrons (and *maybe* Eldar) do. And on reflection it's not an obvious thing, especially since you'd think any genetic trait that made you utterly repulsive to other human beings would be selected against normally.

As for the assassins, I know there were GW two short stories I read from the perspective of a Vindicaire. In both cases the Vindicaire was pretty much professional; if they had any "insane" personality trait it was their amazing patience since in one of the stories the Vindicare was sitting in the same spot for over a week to get the shot they needed. One of the two stories had the Vindicaire Temple basically putting a hit out on an Administratium official to cover up their own secrets, so the Officio Assassinarium seems to run pretty close to the Space Marines in terms of the same attitude of "we take requests, not orders".

Other assassins - there was a Culexus in the Daemonifuge graphic novel who was a tad nuts to put it mildly (considering he took great pleasure in saying he was going to "eat the soul" of his target). The Callidus whenever I've seen them in fluff have always been quite sane and cunning (not to mention ruthless in killing whoever they need to replace to get closer to their final target). Eversor the only fluff writing I've seen was the aforementioned bit in Imperial Armor 3, where he came across almost as an "assassin bomb" you drop on your target area from FAR away and with the assumption of a LOT of collateral damage.

Chilltouch
25-09-2007, 06:01
I wouldn't call them insane - I would just say that they're engineered towards a suitable personality for thier profession.
Vindicare will wait as long as it takes for that perfect headshot.
Eversor Assassins are crazy, homocidal and heartless. They're addicted to killing.
Callidus and Eversor - I am not sure.

Green-is-best
25-09-2007, 07:10

Or maybe its just fanart I found on 4chan.

Just say no to 4chan.

Iuris
25-09-2007, 08:12
I would disagree with the idea that the assassins are "insane" in the sense of "out of control". Apart from high level of combat training, each assassin has to have a lot of mental faculty to perform his/her duties.

Callidus: has to be extremely profficient actor/actress in addition to all the combat skills. Has to be extremely learned in multiple cultures. Has to speak multiple languages at full profficiency, to the point of appearing a native speaker of a specific dialect.

Example on Earth: An asssassin is sent to assassinate "his excellency planetary governor Bush the third". To be able to get the job done, has to be able to speak appropriate american dialect. Has to know what the local people talk about, the local rumors and gossip. Has to posess the skill to use local information sources (internet, for starters). Has to know who's who in the whole "White capitol" hierarchy. And when push comes to shove, when he's all dressed up into an old woman selling apples and haranguing the on duty security chief about the governor's lack of support for local produce growers, has to be able to pull off the whole thing flawlessly. And while waiting for the guard to contact the governor's secretary, has to be able to chat with the rest of the local produce growers' delegation about the recent bad crops, the bloody chomper fly infestation of a third of the fields and the current apple market fluctuations.

Vindicare: While his skills are less social than the callidus, he's all about knowing the terrain. So, from significant familiarity with a planet's flora and fauna (local guard dog equivalenc has infrared vision and similar), he has to be familiar with architecture, engineering and so on. If you are planning to climb into a castle through the ventillation ducts, he has to know how to read blueprints at the least. Electronic countermeasures and so on are important, too. Lots of physics, meteorology and even geology can go into making a really really long shot.

Eversor: Ok, he's the insane guy. But he's not berserker insane. Think Hannibal Lecter on heroine. If notheing else, fighting numerically significantly superior forces takes a lot, not to mention adjusting his "drip feed". Rather than "How do we get him back inside the cryo tube", I'd say he's all too eager to get back to sleep before the drugs "high" wears out.

Cullexus: He's the special one here. While less technical, he's a lot more learned in the arcane subjects - I can certainly imagine two of these guys having long theological debates while awaiting a mission.

Biomass Denial
25-09-2007, 08:25
The parts of the emporers finest Story that is currently somewhere in the background forum has a great depiction of an eversor i think. He is portrayed as single minded and focussed above all else on his primary target but will not hesitate to kill anything and everything between him and the target if it will either help him get to his target quicker or not slow him down. Also the eversor is portrayed as being highly fanatical and beleiving above all else in the emporer. And he takes anything that is an afront to the emporer personaly.

Iuris
25-09-2007, 10:14
That would be part of this:

"...If the trainee's body survives all of the implants and modifications then the novitiate's cerebral cortex is also enhanced. The brain is fitted with genetically coded lobo-chips. These chips amplify the Assassin's state of mind, turning a mere dislike for the enemy into raging hatred, or the wish to serve the Imperium into determination to complete his mission at any cost. Adrenal ducts are implanted, speeding up the brain's higher functions, and allowing the Assassin to make complex calculations and tactical decisions in seconds..."

The Guy
25-09-2007, 15:10
Cullexus: He's the special one here. While less technical, he's a lot more learned in the arcane subjects - I can certainly imagine two of these guys having long theological debates while awaiting a mission.

I would imagine the Culexus are more..mysterious, as in silent. I can't see them talking to anybody and just ignoring everyone and everything except the mission at hand. Between missions he probably just sits around in an empty room.

Progena
25-09-2007, 15:16
I would imagine the Culexus are more..mysterious, as in silent. I can't see them talking to anybody and just ignoring everyone and everything except the mission at hand. Between missions he probably just sits around in an empty room.

Seeing as not even non-psychers can stay in a room with a pariah for extended periods of time without puking their guts out... I would imagine so too. We don't know how pariahs effect each other though. Perhaps they go 'boom'?

LordXaras
25-09-2007, 15:20
I believe it's unlikely they have any kind of negative effect on each other, otherwise it would be difficult to establish a Pariah temple.

Iuris
26-09-2007, 11:06
Um, maybe I'm biased by the sources, but the pariahs described in Abnett's inquisitor books are not exactly as "intense".

They are generally just people who are having trouble with the whole social sphere. Socially outcast and so on, but in the end, normal people. It's just that everyone around them is always in a bad mood, touchy, oversensitive and so on.

The character I felt for most in Ravenos was Wystan Frauka. For all the world, the only thing the guy was a nerd that liked porn :)