PDA

View Full Version : Inquisition- a rare sight

Hand of Dume
23-09-2007, 03:53
It seems that the Inquisition is a rarity among players in my area. Even at the local store, there only one other DH force other than my own and no WH. You might see an occasional ally but that's it. I've even seen threads that seem to indicate a general lack of the "Ordo". Do players not find them interesting or do they think they have a weak list or what?

stubble rash
23-09-2007, 04:18
the price of the minatures would be the main reason
without any marine/guard allies theyre all metal

mistformsquirrel
23-09-2007, 04:20
the price of the minatures would be the main reason
without any marine/guard allies theyre all metal

I kinda gotta second that. Regardless of the list I'm using, most of my next army is going to be made up of Grey Knight Terminators; and they are NOT CHEAP! 50 dollars for 5 guys, thats 10 bucks a miniature! <o.o>

Light of the Emperor
23-09-2007, 04:21
I find them one of the most fascinating armies out there. They have all the cool, creepy stuff that 40k is about. I mean c'mon, servo skulls, cherubs, inquisitors? Hell yeah.

Being all metal does hurt them, but I think they have some of the best models in the warhammer range.

I myself play a 2000 point DH stormtrooper force (no allies) and a soon to be 2000 point pure GK force. Fun stuff!

Justicar_Freezer
23-09-2007, 04:48
Well, I know the Ordo's make their presence known quite often in my gaming group. One of the guys in our group plays a witch hunter army consisting mostly of sisters and I myself play a pure Grey Knight list.
At the moment I have roughly 3,000 maybe 3,500 points of the 666th chapter. Though come apoc I might break down and throw my battle pilgrim guard down on the table with my grey knights and possibly get a baneblade which I am going to put together as a hellhammer just for fun.
Personally I think the Inquisition have the best minitaures in the 40k range and the lists are diverse enough to be really competetive or they can be very fluff and story driven like a pure Grey Knight or Sisters army. If people aren't playing them it's a shame.

Justicar Freezer.

Lord Merlin
23-09-2007, 04:51
I just decided to put together a mixed SM, DH army with s strong emphasis on slowing down the enemy and just laying fire down on them as they try to advance. But yeah, I really wish there were some more plastic models for them.

Hicks
23-09-2007, 04:56
In my small gaming group we have one WH player and me who plays DH (pure GK at the moment). The price is surely a big factor to take into account when starting one of those armies, but I feel that the problem really is that the inquisition, especially the Ordo Malleus, fair quite badly against tourney armies.

I haven't played pure GK for a long time, but I do win a lot with them lately. One of the reasons that explain this success is that I don't play against super competitive lists. I have no shame in admitting that my Gks would probably be totally raped by an eldar army with 3 falcons and harlies.

Tehkonrad
23-09-2007, 05:23
I'd play alien Hunters if they were around

Khornies & milk
23-09-2007, 05:28
I'm in total agreement with the above Posters, and so far not one saying they're crap, which is great.
I have 4K Pure DH, and with Apoc that increases to 8K, made up of Fluffy Allies plus a couple of Mercenary Squads.
Cost and being nearly all metal models are the man thing, and they are seen as weak competitive-wise. I play against mainly Chaos in mainly CoD games, and am successful with them, having being playing with them for 4 years now.
In that time I've only seen 4 other Inquisition Players, and 2 of them use Allies. Can't see it changing until a new Codex, which better not handicap us further.

Gwedd
23-09-2007, 05:44
Comrades,

Yeah, I bought the DH & WH codicii so I could add sisters and an Inquisitor to my BT army. They work great together, especially fluff-wise, and having those huge black-armoured squads supporting the IQ Lord just looks right.

I'm also considering converting some of the GK terminators to use as BT, because I like the models. they ARE certainly well done.

Respects,

Torga_DW
23-09-2007, 05:48
Basically a lack of plastic models is what stops me from using inquisitor armies.

jirgaS
23-09-2007, 05:56
cyclone missile launcher should really be Heavy 2...

Remoah
23-09-2007, 06:07
I think it's the fact that the models are so expensive. If i was to play GK then i'd go about converting a bunch of SM figurines.

if FW was able to make a conversion-kit, for say, 20 space marines (20 detailed shoulderpads, 20 heads), they'd do a roaring trade!

DesolationAngel
23-09-2007, 06:20
I have pure grey knight and pure sister armies (both 1,500pts), very different to play with and some of the niciest models in the game.

rintinglen
23-09-2007, 06:23
Cost is certainly a major factor I have about 3000 points of DH and a bit more of WH and I shudder at what they cost.
Additionally,DH are very hard to play well--the only competitive list is a terminator heavy list, and even that is pretty weak. What irks me is that DK ought to own chaos, and they don't, but regular space marines don't want to get in HTH with them--strength 6 power weapons are ruinous. They seriously lack ranged low ap weaponry.
WH, especially with a pure SOB army, is a much more effective list, those girls in power armor really can kick some butt. However, they suffer from a very limited range of models now--in their earlier incarnation there were several more sisters than there are now--and because they are metal they are hard to convert so they tend to look pretty monotonous on the table.
Another problem with both codices is that there are some good units but there are a whole lot of "fluffy" units that simply aren't worth spit. WH in particular are infested with "looks good--plays bad" models. DH simply pay too much for their stuff. Their Dreadnoughts cost more, the only tanks they get are the over-costed landraiders and their even more pricey crusader variants. All in all, they tend to make pretty armies that don't play well and most of us would prefer to win a game once in a while.

Axel
23-09-2007, 07:22
Agreed to most of the above posters (regarding the cost). That said, the WH with a focus on SoB are, at least here on warseer, one of the most active communities. SoB play totally different from SMs or IGs, and thus have found their place in the arsenal of the Imperium and especially the Inquisition - but they are not the everyday army.

Biomass Denial
23-09-2007, 07:33
Also another thing that puts people off the inquisition armies is that a GK and SoB in particular require a lot more thinking to play well. Faith points are a good example with a sisters army you have to learn to spend them wisely.

The_Patriot
23-09-2007, 08:48
It's mainly price and this was confirmed by a friend of mine that's a GW store manager. Last year, when I got into 40k it cost me almost $600 to buy a 1500 point force. For me to go up to 2500 points I'm looking at about the same amount of money due to the price increase earlier this year by GW. Battle Sisters hit $45 USD for a week about a month ago then dropped back down to $40 USD on the online store. Seraphim are $40 USD for 5 and Repentias are $45 USD a box. To bitz order a Dominion or a Retributer squad of 5 it's $50 USD without the cost of the transport model. With the Rhino it's $80 USD and with an Immolator it's $90 USD. Mounted Battle Sisters would be $70 USD.

If the line was done in plastic Battle Sisters would drop to $35 USD, Seraphim to $25 USD, and Repentias to $35 USD. Also you wouldn't have to bitz order the Retributers or Dominions since they could include the heavy weapon sprues in a regular Battle Sister box.

Sovereign
23-09-2007, 08:55
eBay. used Sisters are cheaper then new ones.

Axel
23-09-2007, 09:15
That eBay stuff, is however also true for SM, IG and all other armies.

Generally eBay prices hit a ratio to GWs resell prices (depending on condition 40-80% in the German eBay), so in comparison to other armies SoBs remain more expensive.

The_Patriot
23-09-2007, 09:20
eBay. used Sisters are cheaper then new ones.

Looking at US ebay's prices you save a whopping 1.65 off to a Battle Sister box. Of course, you end up paying more for the shipping then local taxes. You were saying about ebay being cheaper? :rolleyes:

god octo
23-09-2007, 10:29
I must be a statistical freak, in that I started my 40K experience with Witch hunters. The only other army that excited me was Imperial guard. They are just so much more Flavourful then most of the other armies, especially more than SM. I have to say that it is the price that is the big thing. The normal boxsets aren't any more expensive than other armies, but you then have to buy all the special weapons separately and then as rhino etc.

Currently I buy nearly everything from Ebay. Its much cheaper, and even when I don't make a huge saving, I normally get a working unit, with the special weapons I want.

Mr Zephy
23-09-2007, 10:36
Though there an all-metal army is good, as it is easier to strip the paint.

Havock
23-09-2007, 11:20
I kinda gotta second that. Regardless of the list I'm using, most of my next army is going to be made up of Grey Knight Terminators; and they are NOT CHEAP! 50 dollars for 5 guys, thats 10 bucks a miniature! <o.o>

Maybe I should buy something in the US then.
It seems the euro/dollar prices on GW are 1/1

And since the Euro is worth 1,40 dollar atm....

Grazzy
23-09-2007, 12:24
Metal miniatures, harder to paint than marines and tau for example, under powered and just never given anything new puts people off. I mean, even Dark eldar got two or three releases (bundles) for apocalypse.

Inquisitor Feldenhaus
23-09-2007, 13:16
Metal miniatures, harder to paint than marines and tau for example, under powered and just never given anything new puts people off. I mean, even Dark eldar got two or three releases (bundles) for apocalypse.

I have to say that dark Eldar thing really ticked me off, and to those people who say Inquisition isn't unique, well, GW could've very well made some sob or gk themed thing. However, I do prefer their metalness (call me crazy, I know) because I think it gives the whole army a lot more detail., if not take longer to get a full force together.

ReclecteR
23-09-2007, 14:43
I'm the only Inquisition player at my club, and proud of it. My DH tend to do alright as well.
The main thing with them is that people cant seem to be bothered going to the effort of learning a completely different style of playing. That and they get essentially no support from GW and are metal. I try to get most of my things second hand, and at worst there is a local shop selling for 15% off.

Rossco
23-09-2007, 15:43
Personally I don't think the actual Inqusitor mini's are that great, I'd like to see something that looks like Eisenhorn does on the cover of the omnibus.
Regardless of the price if there were more mini's with greater variation I'd give them a go, I do have a squad of GK and I really like them but the only inquisitor model I like is the FW Solomon locke model

Gwedd
23-09-2007, 16:36
Looking at US ebay's prices you save a whopping 1.65 off to a Battle Sister box. Of course, you end up paying more for the shipping then local taxes. You were saying about ebay being cheaper? :rolleyes:

Comrade,

Not always. I've scored some excellent deals on my SOB's. You just have to have some patience and know what you are looking for. I usually buy used minis anyway, as it's extremely easy to strip and rebuild them.

As to shipping costs versus sales tax, don't forget to include the costs of travel to your local hobby shop. City bus fare? Gas? etc... the US Government currently figures mileage costs at 28 cents per mile. Those costs also need to be considered when comparing prices.

Pavic
23-09-2007, 17:17
Well, I recently decided to return to 40K after playing WHF for a very long time. I was split between WH and Necrons. In the end, I decided I did not want to paint all the "metal" (i.e. necrons) and went with WH. I put in a $100 bitz order to get meltas and some of the variant sister superiors and special weapons. I still plan on dropping another $100 for more of these models ($12.50 for a sister superior is total crap). After this though, I can pick up everything at what I would consider the average army cost, especially if I make a large $400 or $500 purchase. I have traded for some models though, so maybe this is what is throwing the cost in my mind. In any case, I think I am going to be pleased playing WH.

TeddyC
23-09-2007, 17:43
Im just starting an inquisitor army, im torn as to which way to go though. I like the idea of black templars... they seem the only right choice of allied space marine chapter... or just to have hordes of guard!!!

Lord_Magellan
23-09-2007, 18:20
I have a pure Sisters of Battle army (with a separate inquisitor lord and squad to throw in when it suits me) and I have a great time with them. There are only two downsides to Inquisition, as I see it:

#1 - no template weapons other than flamers. Flamers are good but sometimes the lack of long range stopping power is a killer.

#2 Metal minis chip so easily it's disgusting.

If they ever release plastic sisters, I tell ya, I may never play another army again.

Anubis_the_Harlie
23-09-2007, 18:34
I love my daemonhunters and after a few years of playing a GK heavy army i'm trying something new by playing radicals.

The DH (and i'm sure WH) codex is great due to the sheer coolness and variety and nex to orks i'd say DH is the most balenced codex out there, because most DH players I know get a 50/50 W/L ratio which is how it's meant to be.

I really don't understand the common opinion that =I= armies are weak, after all my radical DH army recently won the local tourney (I was using daemonhosts too, and had no inducted troops;))

I just think they need more GW support and some plastic mini's then they'll be more popular, that i'm sure of.

zealot!
23-09-2007, 23:48
plastic SoB would ruin me.

The_Patriot
23-09-2007, 23:50
plastic SoB would ruin me.

Why's that?

RavenMorpheus
24-09-2007, 00:27

I'll third that, DH and WH have to be two of the most expensive armies to buy.

zealot!
24-09-2007, 00:33
patriot, i mean...
my budget
my time
my social life
my chance of starting another 40k army

hahahha

The_Patriot
24-09-2007, 00:43
patriot, i mean...
my budget
my time
my social life
my chance of starting another 40k army

hahahha

A budget and a life? What are those thing? :D

MrPickles
24-09-2007, 00:44
Meh, I don't see where everyone gets this metal crap for daemon hunters. 30 dollars for 160 points isn't bad if you are buying GKs.

RavenMorpheus
24-09-2007, 00:49
Meh, I don't see where everyone gets this metal crap for daemon hunters. 30 dollars for 160 points isn't bad if you are buying GKs.

It is if your opponents can get 2 times as much or in some cases 3 times as much of an army that is just as effective gamewise, and just because it's plastic not metal.

Gwedd
24-09-2007, 01:15
Im just starting an inquisitor army, im torn as to which way to go though. I like the idea of black templars... they seem the only right choice of allied space marine chapter... or just to have hordes of guard!!!

I agree that fluff-wise, the =I= & Templars are a good fit. However, keep this mind:

If you are going to use the two togather, then the Templars MUST be the core army, with the WH or DH taken as allies to the Templars. Additionally, no WH or DH unit may be a psyker or have those abilities.

This restriction comes through the fact that any SM units taken as allies to a WH or DH army MUST use the rules from Codex:Space Marines, and have no other special traits, etc, except for those listed in the SM Codex. Thus, you COULD take BT's as allies to a WH or DH, but they would have none of the abilities from Codex:Black Templars, and could only be used as vanilla marines, so to speak.

If you want to combine the two, and have the BT's have all of their unique traits, then the WH or DH units must ally to the Templars.

Still and all, you can get a pretty sizeable contingent of SOB's to operate with the BT's even using them (the sisters) as allies. It's also a great way to start collecting them, and see how they work, etc.

Respects,

kryptt
24-09-2007, 01:51
If you guys want to save on 40k stuff and don't want to pay alot for s&h just call the warstore with your order and save like 20% or something like that and regardless of how much metal or plastic you order, only pay $4 something for s&h.

http://www.thewarstore.com/

The_Patriot
24-09-2007, 01:54
If you guys want to save on 40k stuff and don't want to pay alot for s&h just call the warstore with your order and save like 20% or something like that and regardless of how much metal or plastic you order, only pay $4 something for s&h.

http://www.thewarstore.com/

Which doesn't change the fact that GK and Sisters are still more expensive then plastic armies.

VetSgtNamaan
24-09-2007, 02:13
Actually in my area we have 3 sisters of battle players with 2 more thinking about starting demonhunters. We must be an anomaly though the sisters models are pretty darn cool. Of course we have alot of middle aged players with pretty high paying jobs.