PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse=Pimp My Squad!

SinCollector
23-09-2007, 04:08
I haven't seen a lot of people talking about this. I keep thinking that Apocalypse is going to mean everybody will take every option available for every unit. Really, I don't see why you wouldn't. Either my opponent and I can play at 3000 points with a bunch of options we normally take or 3500 with ALL the options. I think this is another element that will make Apoc a lot of fun. Any squad is gonna have some extra tricks up its sleeve. With infantry models getting wiped off the table with a quickness and super-heavies on the prowl, packing some extra punch will come in handy.

Combine that with no FOC restrictions and things are gonna get insane. For my Black Templars, I'm already thinking a Chaplain leading every squad and Termie Honors for everybody that can take them. I think this may actually make Apoc MORE strategic than regular 40K. It's going to become way more important to make sure you charge rather than be charged, avoid getting caught in combat with even more powerful assault units, use cover to avoid larger more powerful tac squads, etc . . .

I can't wait. Now I just need to let my excitement die down and give my checkbook a rest.

-Sin

IncrediSteve
23-09-2007, 04:10
This is more suited to 40k General discussion.

News and Rumors is the place you post if you've got an exclusive bit of info from a games day or have pictures of unreleased models to show.

t-tauri
23-09-2007, 04:16
This is more suited to 40k General discussion.

News and Rumors is the place you post if you've got an exclusive bit of info from a games day or have pictures of unreleased models to show.

Agreed. Thread moved. Please post in a appropriate forum.

mistformsquirrel
23-09-2007, 04:20
Hmm... I actually disagree honestly. On paper, sure, it might be cool to completely bling out your squads, which you couldn't do in a normal game of 40k...

But I think more bodies are likely to be more effective. Or if you want to get 'fancy' - buy some specialized units you don't normally field. Things that in a small game just eat up far too many points for their worth; but in a larger game wouldn't be missed.

The principle of wasted potential still holds - if a squad has 50pts of extra wargear than normal, but never gets to use it, was there a reason to spend the extra 50pts?

>.> Of course, this is just from my PoV, others may have more insightful perspectives.

DarkstarSabre
23-09-2007, 04:25
For me Apocalypse is an excuse to let Fabius Bile do his thing to every squad in my army.

ctsteel
23-09-2007, 04:29
i'm sure there'll be literal armies of harlequins out there, all with shadowseer etc - the entire black library will be quiet and empty on that day

Gwedd
23-09-2007, 04:41
I haven't seen a lot of people talking about this. I keep thinking that Apocalypse is going to mean everybody will take every option available for every unit. Really, I don't see why you wouldn't. Either my opponent and I can play at 3000 points with a bunch of options we normally take or 3500 with ALL the options. I think this is another element that will make Apoc a lot of fun. Any squad is gonna have some extra tricks up its sleeve. With infantry models getting wiped off the table with a quickness and super-heavies on the prowl, packing some extra punch will come in handy.

Combine that with no FOC restrictions and things are gonna get insane. For my Black Templars, I'm already thinking a Chaplain leading every squad and Termie Honors for everybody that can take them. I think this may actually make Apoc MORE strategic than regular 40K. It's going to become way more important to make sure you charge rather than be charged, avoid getting caught in combat with even more powerful assault units, use cover to avoid larger more powerful tac squads, etc . . .

I can't wait. Now I just need to let my excitement die down and give my checkbook a rest.

-Sin

Comrade,

There might not be any FOC restrictions, but you can't take a Chaplain with every squad. There are only so many Chaplains in each Crusade. You can't take things that aren't normally allowed to a unit. You can take more units, and play with pretty much everything you have, but to a point. For example, you'll still only get one EC for your BT army. You could field 6 companies on the table, but you could still only take one EC.

Respects,

jirgaS
23-09-2007, 04:48
Huh. I'm glad that I don't have to face any of those no brainer armies in games of apocalypse.
We have quite good Apocalypse heat going on in our gaming community and the few games we have played with the apoc rules I have to say that I'm really looking forward for this release.
Pimping up my DE inquisitor has never been so much fun. I don't really have to care about how much hes going to cost cause the games we play are hanging around 10,000 or so points and 300+ points on inquisitor and his retinue really doesn't affect gameplay to the direction or the other.
Have to avoid that vortex grenade tough.

SinCollector
23-09-2007, 05:22
The principle of wasted potential still holds - if a squad has 50pts of extra wargear than normal, but never gets to use it, was there a reason to spend the extra 50pts?

I think like a lot of things in Apocalypse it comes down to what you and your opponent agree to. If we're at equal points, I think we might as well both bling it up. However, if he perceives the options on my stuff as better than his unused options that might not be the way to go. I might add bling while he gets extra stratagems.

The point is that there is no 1850 pts limit that we're working with and the game is just for fun. It's a much larger engagement where all those extra skills might come in handy. The things that just don't quite make the cut at lower levels may get used now. It's not like I can just buy more bodies if every model I own is on the table.

Comrade,

There might not be any FOC restrictions, but you can't take a Chaplain with every squad. There are only so many Chaplains in each Crusade. You can't take things that aren't normally allowed to a unit. You can take more units, and play with pretty much everything you have, but to a point. For example, you'll still only get one EC for your BT army. You could field 6 companies on the table, but you could still only take one EC.

Respects,

Uhh . . . I'm pretty much positive you can take as many Chaplains as you want. The only thing limiting Chaplains now is the FOC. They're not limited to the 0-1 per army like Special Characters these days. Also, as independent characters they are normally allowed to join a unit. Therefore, in Apocalypse with no limit on the number of Chaplains, you could easily join one to every squad you bring.

Having an out-of-proportion number of Chaplains might not be the fluffiest thing. However, I think it's a lot better than the Tau-Necron or Nid-Eldar type alliances people are talking about. If you did 20 man strong BT horde squads with a Chaplain each I'd find that fairly palatable fluff-wise too. In battles at which the masters of the chapters, Titans, and tons of special characters are present, I don't think I'd even notice.

-Sin

Grazzy
23-09-2007, 11:29
Yeah ,you coan take what ou want which includes 20 chaplains. You caould have an army of chaplains if you want.

I would pimp/take some of those expensive units you never get to take. For example, a chaplain lead termie assault squad in a crusader is usually not used in 1k to 2k games because its too many eggs in one basket. However, if there are 6000 other points on the table incuding super heavies then they will be able to strut their stuff.

Wyatt
23-09-2007, 11:41
If I had the time and money I'd love to take the whole 18k+ Imperial Guard army (I worked it out before, I think it's 18k for one of each option, using just the first option of each type, and with no wargear etc).

But then that's still FOC legal. :eek:

What I really want to see though is a Chaos apoc army using Abaddon and several hundred termies. That'd be a challenge for even an army of Titans.

Bunnahabhain
23-09-2007, 12:56
I'm going to be going in fairly much the opposite direction. Lots of minimally equipped men and machines. Using more than one paid for doctrine per squad is simply not worthwhile. With so many war machines etc killing any infantry on a 2+, then making use of the Guards strength- Numbers- makes sense both game wise and fluff wise. Guard players will get used to going second.

I will be taking various options that I would not normally do so, due to FOC limits, such as Enginseers that are night on useless in a small game, and use up FOC slots and doctrines, but in Apoc will be of more use, and have a lower opportunity cost

Outlaw289
23-09-2007, 18:28
I'm going to be going in fairly much the opposite direction. Lots of minimally equipped men and machines. Using more than one paid for doctrine per squad is simply not worthwhile. With so many war machines etc killing any infantry on a 2+, then making use of the Guards strength- Numbers- makes sense both game wise and fluff wise. Guard players will get used to going second.

I can see sharpshooters being much more widely used now. 10 points for a .5 BS increase, drop in the bucket pointswise in an apoc game

warchild9
23-09-2007, 18:44
I still will field my squads the same way I field them now what will be getting used is my Crimson Fist chapter master Kantor termie and his Command squad and other units I usually don't field for my loyalist. Chaos, I want units I won't field in normal games, Khorne Berzerkers, 1k sons, Death guard, Emperor's Children, etc, I stilll plan to run infantry heavy like I do now, as my friends go tank crazy for their armies