PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

mark.
23-09-2007, 09:37
Hello people,

I am curious about the following things,

- Does a chaos hero on an deamonic steed has to make break tests? The rulebook says that if you have a unbreakable (deamonic instability) steed, the whole steed/rider combo is considered unbreakable, however, according to the chaos armybook, it says that the deamonic horse does not suffer from instability as his master's will binds him on reality. Does this mean that this unit is unbreakable (seems unlikely because it would be very strong) or does this mean that the unit can be broken just as a hero on a normal steed (seems unlikely too, because it contradicts the rulebook)

- Can cannons and other war machines turn around and shoot an enemy in the same turn? The rulebook says that war machines may pivot freely and that the cannon crew are considered skirmishers, so have 360o view.

- Screamers of tzeentch (chaos) are both flyers and monsters, but what is their US, 1 or 3?

Thanks in the advance!

warlord hack'a
23-09-2007, 09:48
I would say he is unbreakable, but don't shoot me if I'm wrong (th reason you mention why it should not be is fluff (character binding steed to reality etc.) but the rules overrule fluff..

warlord hack'a
23-09-2007, 09:54
sorry, yes to your second question, warmachines have 360 LOS and can pivot before shooting.

no idea about the screamers, US is mentioned in the relevant armybook by my knowledge.. IF their number of wounds does not help (usually number of wounds = US) then their points avlue also can give a good general idea, if they are less than 20 points per model they will not be US 3.

mark.
23-09-2007, 09:58
Thanks for the fast answer, if that mounted hero is unbreakable, I will definetily use him next battle :)

And I always thought that you could sneak up at warmachines from behing with flying troops, but it seems you will still receive hits then (I am talking about things like organ gun)

And the screamers have got 2 wounds and cost 33 points, so I guess their US is 2 then per model?

Griefbringer
23-09-2007, 10:07
- Screamers of tzeentch (chaos) are both flyers and monsters, but what is their US, 1 or 3?

Since when did they become monsters? I know that the GW definition of monster is rather vague at the best of times, but I see no indication of screamers being monsters.

Their rules clearly state that they are a unit of flyers, though.

Belerophon709
23-09-2007, 10:07
Screamers are US 1, even though they have 2 wounds.

Unit Strength Chart on pg 71 og the brb says so:

Units of flyers: US 1

They are not monsters.
If they had been flying cavalry (which they are not) they would have been US 2, as the chart says.

As for the Chaos Character on a Daemonic Mount:

Instability doesn't make anything unbreakable. Daemons are stubborn though. But the instability rules are not applicable while the rider still lives, so you test as normal while this is the case (since you always use the riders Ld).
If/When the rider dies, the full daemonic rules take effect regarding the mount.

Belerophon709

T10
23-09-2007, 10:43
I'll chime in on the choir here. :)

1. Daemonic mounts and Instability
The rider overrides (heh!) the mount's instability in this case. Thus the entire model takes its break tests as normal. This is specified in the Daemoinc Mount rules.

Notice that the mount is Daemoinic and remains immune to psychology, and passes this ability on to the character. (p79)

2. Warmachines
Warmachines draw line of sight from the artillery piece (p85), but this is less of a problem than one would think as the warmachine can freely pivot to face any direction.

3. Screamers
Yeah, unit strength 1.

Just a bit of trivia: Screamers would have unit strength 3 per model if it were not for their Unit of Flyers rule: The number of wounds on their profile is less of an issue than the fact that they use 40mm bases and are "on foot".

-T10

Masque
23-09-2007, 23:36
1. Daemonic mounts and Instability
The rider overrides (heh!) the mount's instability in this case. Thus the entire model takes its break tests as normal. This is specified in the Daemoinc Mount rules.

Notice that the mount is Daemoinic and remains immune to psychology, and passes this ability on to the character. (p79)

The mount does in fact remain Immune to Psychology but according the the HoC FAQ it does not pass on its ability to the rider. Why? Nobody knows.

Besides that, I agree with all of T10's answers.

T10
24-09-2007, 08:12
The mount does in fact remain Immune to Psychology but according the the HoC FAQ it does not pass on its ability to the rider. Why? Nobody knows.

Besides that, I agree with all of T10's answers.

That would be because the FAQ predates the release of 7th edition: In 6th edition rider/mount psychology issues was a lot more muddled.

I would suggest ignoring that part of the FAQ. It only exists because the question raised was an actual point of contention. Now that the rules are streamlined there is no real reason to ask the question, and besides that the answer is inconsistent with both the current rules.

Besides that, nothing in the HoC book suggests the psychology of the daemonic mount should be treated differently from any other rider/mount.

-T10