PDA

View Full Version : Titans in 40k

Darkoth
23-09-2007, 10:30
okay so i know the warhound is meant to be a scout titan and not a full battle titan, but what roles do the others play? Such as the reaver and imperator.

Cheers
Darkoth

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 10:32
Colossal warmachines of absolute destruction that are made to obliterate everything in their paths?

Tehkonrad
23-09-2007, 10:34
Well the reaver obliterates with a whooshing noise the warhound with a schwing noise and the imperator with a Bwa-bwa-bwaaaa noise

Galvatron
23-09-2007, 11:09
Reavers are older designs than imperators, and are therefore rarer. Because ofcourse being older in 40k means harder to manufacture. So they are usually, from what I understand, used as fire support titans. Armed with long range weaponry, such as those big missile launchers, and big laser and plasma weapons.

The warlord is the front line titan. other roles? probably not. it just dishes out and takes hits like a champ.

imperator/warmonger are quite rare. from what i understand they are often used as command titans to direct the rest from a distance. the imperator seems better suited to front line combat much the same as a warlord, but on a grander scale. the warmonger is the fire support version with a spotter craft, a huge missile rack on one arm, and a very large twin cannon that i can't remember the name of on the other. think of 2 quake cannons but bigger.

Leftenant Gashrog
23-09-2007, 11:22
Reavers are older designs than imperators, and are therefore rarer.

er.. whats your source for that? I've seen canon statements that Reavers are the rarest of the Battle Titans, but I've never seen anything saying they are rarer than Emperor Titans..

The Guy
23-09-2007, 11:32
okay so i know the warhound is meant to be a scout titan and not a full battle titan, but what roles do the others play? Such as the reaver and imperator.

Cheers
Darkoth

Okay I don't know a lot about titans..but HOW THE HELL DOES A TITAN SCOUT?!?!

MadDoc
23-09-2007, 11:55
Okay I don't know a lot about titans..but HOW THE HELL DOES A TITAN SCOUT?!?!

It moves ahead of the main Titan Battlegroup and assays the field. In other words, it scouts ahead. I would have thought that was kind of implicit in the term Scout Titan, that could just be me though. ;)

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 11:58
I think he was having some problems with the idea of a Titan creeping quietly through the underbrush...

The Guy
23-09-2007, 12:09
I think he was having some problems with the idea of a Titan creeping quietly through the underbrush...

Exactly..i define scouts as the guys who SUBTLY survey the area...

codicium_aeternum
23-09-2007, 12:17
i remember epic... being able to field titans... now that was fun

ahh the good old days

MadDoc
23-09-2007, 12:20
Exactly..i define scouts as the guys who SUBTLY survey the area...

So in other words you read more into the term than it actually entails... Right, gotcha meaning. ;)

icegreentea
23-09-2007, 14:47
warhounds can scout... only against other titan sized targets. cause everybody loves titan duels. nothing like a small mountain count as 'light cover'.

oh, and they also tend to run straight into enemy fire to save their bigger brothers and sisters. suckers. (i made this part up... but seems to make sense).

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 15:26
Though for some reason I now have visions of a Warhound tiptoing up on an oblivious Grot sentry....

Railhead
23-09-2007, 15:36
Pherhaps you can disguise them as appartments, and hide them amongst a city scape

only you would need one big ass cerial box;)

''ssssht, i think i just heard a 50 metre tall death machine sneaking up on us''

Anyone here knows btw how they get titans on planet surface? I habing a hard time imagining one fitting in a aquilla lander:P

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 15:37
Very, VERY big drop pod. There's a description in False Gods.

Leftenant Gashrog
23-09-2007, 15:57
they also use massive planetary landers, like the one on the left here:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/artwork/images/art-08.jpg

Obermotz
23-09-2007, 16:00
Would such a large drop pod be in any intelligent way reusable?

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 16:13
Yep. Drop pods are routinely recovered after battles and readied for future use. whether or not that entails dismantling the pod and shipping it back up in pieces is a case of circumstance.

Leftenant Gashrog
23-09-2007, 16:17
warhounds can scout... only against other titan sized targets.

actually a warhound would be pretty good at scouting against almost anything in flat/open terrain, if you compare a warhound to say.. the IG's Salamander Scout Vehicle, a Warhound is 3-4 times as high, so its horizon would be significantly further away than that of the Salamander ~ in addition the Warhound would be much more likely to survive being shot at by the enemy (recon units arent much use if they get blown up before they can report back what they've encountered)

kamedake88
23-09-2007, 16:55
Class breakdowns are as such. I wont go into weapons here.

Warhound: Scout titan. Don't let the name fool you because they are walking machines of death. They usually operate in a pack (hence the name) of two or more . They are also used for urban combat and the like as other Titans are usually to large for cities. On the open field they are used in flanking tactics because in comparison to other titans they are lightly armored. Height 15 meters

Reaver. The first of the two types of imperial battle class titan. these guys are the ones you hope you never have to fight with out lots and lots of heavy support. They are much more durable than their smaller Warhound bretheren and as such are also significantly slower. But what the lack in speed they make up with lots of fire power and many layers of void shields. These guys are very vulnerable in tight quarters as their weapons and defenses are slotted for a frontal assault and not for urban or canyon combat. In the Adeptus Titanicus boxed set it states that this pattern is becoming rare due to an unknown reason most likely that the was of constructing them are being forgotten. design predates unification wars apparently and are seen in allot of the Horus heresy's art and narratives. Height 29 to 30 meters

Warlord. The big daddy of battle titans and the newer of the two. because of this they are subsequently more numerous and many different forge worlds produce their own variants. this is the im gonna ****** you up weapon of the Imperium. they have four weapons hard points two the shoulders and one for each arm. this is the first class were we see anti personal weapons mounted on the legs due to its massive height. Warlords are half again as big as Reavers reaching a massive 45 meters. For some odd reason some dude at GW was like "whoa man lets like put a big f'in saw on one of these dude's arms" (surfer accent) only class of Titan I know where close combat is a possibility.

Emperor. finally on to the weirdest and most powerful type of titan. two variants of this behemoth exist; the Emperor Imperator and the Emperor Warmonger. the latter often gets confused with the Warlord. The Imperator is basically a walking Castle with cannons everywhere. they were designed with vaporizing all before them in mind. they also can carry a full company of guardsmen or what have you in their bowels and are crewed by scores of men. These are the rarest of all the titan classes and the machines themselves are very old.
The other variant is the Warmonger. this is the mack daddy of all blow you up titans and are an odd variant. they are basically a Imperator titan with the castle turrets cut on and in its place thousands of missiles and guns are jammed in its place. The class is designed as a fire support/artillery platform and not suited for direct combat. a cool not worthy feature is that this titan is only crewed by one adept ass opposed to the 50 odd in the Imperator. and lots of servotier

I hope this helps and for future reference use the search function

Leftenant Gashrog
23-09-2007, 19:07
Reaver. In the Adeptus Titanicus boxed set it states that this pattern is becoming rare due to an unknown reason most likely that the was of constructing them are being forgotten.

er.. do you mean Titan Legions? there was no mention of the Reaver in the Adeptus Titanicus boxed set.. (GW didnt invent Reavers till later)

For some odd reason some dude at GW was like "whoa man lets like put a big f'in saw on one of these dude's arms"
In Adeptus Titanicus Titans in base-to-base contact were assumed to be within eachothers void shields, so close combat attacks were unaffected by void shields, which made hand-to-hand combat a valid tactic, hence CCW's.

Warlord. only class of Titan I know where close combat is a possibility.
almost every Reaver depicted in Adeptus Titanicus/Space Marine 1st edition era art had either a powerfist or a chainfist, the EPICAST Reaver came with a powerfist as standard as well:
http://www.epicast.com/lostbanned/ArmorcastReaver.jpg

Galvatron
23-09-2007, 19:38
wups, i meant reavers are rarer than warlords, not imperators. blah

Lets not forget the extremely rare psi titans. Warlord titans with a huge cathedral looking shrine on their shoulders which greatly amplifies a psychic's powers. Think eldar warlock titan, but not eldar. I recall reading about some fluff for these guys in one of the older space marine/titan legion books.

kamedake88
23-09-2007, 22:07
Leftenant thanks for the correction. I couldn't remember what boxed set the rever came with. The Buzz Saw thing was a joke. I know that armorcast titan is a classic but I can't stand it. It looks like it belongs back in the eighties. The new one that forge world is currently creating is much better. of course I build these ultra realistic models call Bregiels from Germany so the cartoonish look of the armorcast models is a no for me. Let remember the look of the armor cast Warhound titan compared to the Forgeworld version. Clearly the forgeworld wins out in the gritty utilitarian look I identify with.