PDA

View Full Version : what do custodians do?

Tehkonrad
23-09-2007, 10:33
I was just wondering cause theres 10'000 of them just chillin in the palace playing 40K or checkers or emperor ball you throw a ball in the air and try to keep it up there if you say EMPEROR you win

jb85
23-09-2007, 10:36
Well the palace is a big place and since they probably don't allow cleaners into the throne room I would say quite a bit of dusting. When they have some time off I would say they play a bit of Imperial Tarot poker :D

nagash66
23-09-2007, 11:17
NO people, they are the custodians they custod of course!!!!:p

codicium_aeternum
23-09-2007, 12:38
free custard in the palace!!!

last one theres a squat!

Progena
23-09-2007, 13:06
They're like really old nurses (think they're the same guys who have been there since the Heresy) at an oldpeople's home with only one person to take care of. I think there's about 1000 of them, not 10,000. And they've all retired their armor.

Oh, and at the end of the Age of Apostasy they acted as tour guides for the Brides of the Emperor.

MrBigMr
23-09-2007, 13:11
Wiki sez:
A custodian, in the United States, is a person that cleans and maintains large buildings, and in this respect it may or may not be synonymous with janitor. Custodians may be paid larger salaries than janitors and have a higher degree of training and licensing, as well as greater responsibilities. Examples include a school custodian or a custodian for any large building or set of buildings.
http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/ClermontES/imagesnew/custodian.jpg

Pilgrim
23-09-2007, 13:12
The Adeptus Custodes do not simply guard the Emperor, this being the job of an elite cadre of 300 (the Companions).

The Adeptus Custodes basically form one of the primary defence forces for the Imperial Palace. As a result, the vast majority of them are going to spend their time at duty stations in case of an attack, performing weapons and systems maintenance (in order to keep defenses and other important systems fully functional), most likely manning checkpoints and other security stations close to, or inside, the inner sections of the Imperial Palace, and training (given that it must take a lot of training to maintain their combat skills and readiness), which may or may not be live-fire.

In essence, they are a major component of the Imperial Palace garrison forces, and so will spend their time doing what most other soldiers would do when on extended duty (and given the general presentation of Imperial military forces, they may never be off-duty per se). These activities are, however, likely to not include the drinking, sexual escapades and other 'high-jinks' generally indulged in by bored and undisciplined troops. Once again, this is predicated on the assumption that the Adeptus Custodes are essentially an order of warrior monks (in outlook). Serving so close to the Emperor himself is probably going to result in a body of extremely dedicated, extremely fanatical troops, especially given that these qualities are likely specifically required of recruitment candidates.

Adrian

heretics bane
23-09-2007, 14:39
Well the palace is bloody huge! i think they would borrow some attack bikes and race around the place in them, would be pretty cool.

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 15:06
The Adeptus Custodes do not simply guard the Emperor, this being the job of an elite cadre of 300 (the Companions).

an elite cadre of 300 (the Companions).

Oh god no.

Chaplain Nikolai
23-09-2007, 15:12
THIS IS TERRA!

Sorry. Couldn't resist. *ahem*

I always thought that they just guarded all the important places on Terra, like the Emperor's place, wherever the Astropathic choir or whatever it's called, etc.

Dalenator
23-09-2007, 16:33
If I was a custode I'd try the Emperor's Armor on.
Possibly use the Emperor as a puppet and make the High Lords do what I want.:p

Possibly ask for a allied contingent of sisters of Battle. Y'know to help protect the Emperor and what-not.:angel:

colmarekblack
23-09-2007, 16:51
I wonder if the Emperors Warlord titans are crewed by Custodes aswell? Or would it be dedicated Adeptus Mechanicus personnel?

MrBigMr
23-09-2007, 17:15
If I was a custode I'd try the Emperor's Armor on.
How's that possible as the thing is broken down and made into Terminator Honors? In place of the armor there's propably an IOU from the High Lord.
"IOU - One golden armor."

Possibly ask for a allied contingent of sisters of Battle. Y'know to help protect the Emperor and what-not.:angel:
Because they can't have the Emperor's armor?
"What's it like wearing a girl's armor?"
"It's disturbingly comfortable."

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 17:19
His Toiletness probably had more than one suit in his time...

Alternately this falls into the same category as the 'True bones of Sebastian Thor' of which it has been observed that, were all such bones ever to be gathered in one place, the Ecclesiarchy would be rather shocked to discover that their most prominent saint was a double-headed, multi-limbed, triple-jointed giant....

Green-is-best
23-09-2007, 18:21
Why do you think they use those halberds? Take the blade off, attach a mop head and you're good to clean the whole palace!

Their battlecry is:

"WE CLEAN IN HIS NAME!"

or

"LET NO SPOT BLIGHT THE THRONE OF HIS ETERNAL GREATNESS!"

or

"HEY, WHERE DID YOU GITS LEAVE THE MOP 'n GLO?!"

Ironsides
24-09-2007, 05:14
There would be oh so very many lucrative ways to abuse your station as a Custodian... just think how much you could charge people to take photos of them on the Emperor's lap:D (like Santa at the mall)

... or you could steal the Supreme Poobah by smuggling him out of the palace under a trenchcoat...ransom anyone?:angel:

Shiakou
24-09-2007, 05:30
By the Emperor, you guys crack me up.

I can just seem the Custodes using jump packs. . . to clean the windows.

Ktotwf
24-09-2007, 06:06
I am willing to bet that they do a lot of religious ceremonies. They are like the most insanely faithful people in the Imperium - the inner circle of the Imperial Cult.

I bet some real crazy shiznit goes on in that place.

DantesInferno
24-09-2007, 06:13
I am willing to bet that they do a lot of religious ceremonies. They are like the most insanely faithful people in the Imperium - the inner circle of the Imperial Cult.

I bet some real crazy shiznit goes on in that place.

Well, the Custodes were serving the Emperor more than a thousand years before the organised worship of the Emperor became standard state practice in the Imperium.

In fact, given that the Custodes as an organisation have had far more to do with the Emperor personally than any other Imperial organisation, I would have thought they'd be far less likely to worship him as a God. Custodes would have been there when he rebuked Lorgar for worshipping him in that way, after all.

The Space Marines are good evidence for the fact that you're less likely to fanatically worship the Emperor as a god if you actually fought under him during the Crusade. I'd imagine that the Custodes would go in for the same pseudo-worship that the Marines do, perhaps even more so.

Ktotwf
24-09-2007, 06:17
In fact, given that the Custodes as an organisation have had far more to do with the Emperor personally than any other Imperial organisation, I would have thought they'd be far less likely to worship him as a God. Custodes would have been there when he rebuked Lorgar for worshipping him in that way, after all.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I am willing to bet that what happened is simply that, just as with the Space Marines, the Custodes views slowly shifted from Great Man ------> God.

Its not as black and white a distinction as most would like to make it.

The Space Marines are good evidence for the fact that you're less likely to fanatically worship the Emperor as a god if you actually fought under him during the Crusade. I'd imagine that the Custodes would go in for the same pseudo-worship that the Marines do, perhaps even more so.

It isn't really Pseudo-Worship, it is a fuller and richer worship - like say those in a mystery cult who believe they are party to answers that the "layperson" are not.

Their worship is likely to be less abject and less abstract, but they undoubtedly feel a greater amount of connection and responsibility.

Ktotwf
24-09-2007, 06:30
Oh god no.

In the old days they were dressed up like Spartans.

jma037
24-09-2007, 06:56
custodian1: "Touch it.....do it...."
custodian2: "NOoooo.....euwwwwwww.....I'm not gonna touch it!"
custodian1: "Do it....do it....it'll be funny....."
custodian2: "I'm not gonna touch it....."
custodian1: "I'll touch it if you touch it..."
custodian2: "Really?! Naaa.....I still don't want to..."
custodian1: "Don't be a chicken....just touch it...."
custodian2: "Why wouldn't you touch it?"
custodian1: "I'll touch it after you....honest..."
custodian2: "You promise?"
custodian1: "Of cause....in the name of the Emperor!"
custodian2: "Okay....just this once...."
custodian1: "..."
custodian2: "EWWWwwwww.......I touched it!"
custodian1: "Hahahahahahaha....OMG........I can't believe you touched it!"
custodian2: "You touch it now..."
custodian1: "Ummmm......."
custodian2: "You promised!!"
custodian1: "Okay..."

Shiakou
24-09-2007, 09:53

. . . Oh hell, why not?

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/595/spartawf4.th.png (http://img205.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spartawf4.png)

ctsteel
24-09-2007, 10:09
I imagine one of their continuing duties is to maintain a watch on the webway portal under/behind the golden throne. They would also (as mentioned above) be stationed at various entry points to the inner sanctum of the palace, ever watchful for traitors inc

BTW the palace is massive as most of us here know, and from Jaq Draco's description of his travels through it, it is practically a bustling hive-world of its own, full of pilgrims and religious zealots who literally spend their entire lives travelling slowly through the crush, hoping to get ever slightly closer to Him before they die.

The palace has armies of servitors and attendants, the custodes are a level again above normal marines in stature and ability, something tells me they would not be washing windows or mopping the titans

Progena
24-09-2007, 15:39

Actually, in the 'old days' (ie. before the Emperor was enthroned) they used armor and fought the Emperors battles beside or for him. After the Emperor kicked the bucket, they retired their armor in sorrow and started dressing like 'spartans' (real spartans used armor btw). The very old model of a Custodes represent the 'current' custodes. By the way... how do you balance a pointed powerarmored helmet on your head when it's not attached to a suit of armor?

Outlaw289
24-09-2007, 16:10
I remember reading somewhere in the Imperial Palace there is a warp gate that demons come in through from time to time, so if thats the case I imagine they'd be quite busy doing daemon-extermination shifts.

I think the warp gate was a result of the Emperor trying to make his own webway or somesuch, I really dont remember

Ktotwf
24-09-2007, 16:12
No, the Emperor's big ass is parked right on top of the webway, blocking Terra from demonic activity.

Tehkonrad
24-09-2007, 23:12
handy that

Vaulkhar
25-09-2007, 00:13
Although it has to be said that this is probably the best reason for not unplugging the old dude from the Golden Toilet.

Shiakou
25-09-2007, 01:05
I fear for the demons who are living under His Great Ass.

Tehkonrad
25-09-2007, 02:59
well the portals more behind him than under him so really it's the emperors mighty back thats keeping them trapped heck even cartmans ass couldn't hold back the demons

deathwing_marine
25-09-2007, 03:17
Can someone point me to where this Fluff about the webway portal is?

Sorry for being serious, carry on men :p

ctsteel
25-09-2007, 10:24
it is detailed in the Horus Heresy Artbooks

satormortis
26-09-2007, 16:06
More on topic: I think that the Adeptus Custodes are actually a rather powerful political force. They are the only ones with direct access to the Emperor, they're pretty much untouchable (it would be hard to accuse a Custodian of being unfaithful towards the Emperor) and as sworn protectors of the Emperor I think they would take an active interest in the runnings of the His domains. They are modelled after the Roman Praetorian Guard after all, and I think they'd have similar influence. This theory is supported by the fact that the Captain-General of the Custodes occasionally fills a seat as a High Lord of Terra, indicating that he is amongst the most powerful men in the Imperium.

stormblade
26-09-2007, 17:24
The preatorians did 'make and brake' a few emperors- that's why they got disbanded later.

satormortis
26-09-2007, 19:40
The preatorians did 'make and brake' a few emperors- that's why they got disbanded later.

Yes, but this Emperor is Immortal and Holy, so you can't disband his Praetorians ;) I imagine that they can 'make and brake' High Lords, though.