PDA

View Full Version : How evil is Khorne?

zekrish
23-09-2007, 10:41
Greetings from the land of blondes and polar bears!

I was just wondering about athing. In the old (and some of the new) Khorne and khorneate marines are describde as hounrebla warriors that don't hurt unarmed or civillians. They fight for the hounor of thier god and seek to eb the greatest warriors of all time...

Is that evil??

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 11:40
They're can't be that far down the path then. Khorne cares not from where the blood flows, only that it flows...

The Guy
23-09-2007, 11:45
There's loads of different kinds of evil. Khorne is the "in your face hacking you to pieces barbarically" evil. I wouldn't say he was as evil as the other gods or the C'tan just more...crazy ;)

Damien 1427
23-09-2007, 11:47
Depends. How evil do you want him to be?

Khorne is the God of Battle, of Blood, of Skulls. In one of those three contains the possibility to have an aspect that values honour, courage and skill. So yes, he's not completley evil. Just depends who you talk to, be it the warrior-knights or the frothing blood-mad lunatics.

Just like Nurgle is in a way, the God of Hope. And Tzneetch is the God of Change, Change for good or ill.

Trouble with being shaped by the belief of untold billions is you end up having more facets than a house of mirrors after an earthquake.

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 11:48
That's not the Khorne of today. The nicest that his servants today would do, is to gather up any captured folks, give them improvised weapons and hold arena matches - if a captive can kill a CSM, it's converted into the very berserking monster it killed. If the catpive is killed... Well, that's that. 'least he died sportingly.

I don't see them letting anyone go. They butcher everyone, one way or another.

EDIT: Actually, Nurgle is the God of Despair. Tzeentch is the God of Hope. To hope for something is to want something to change, right?

codicium_aeternum
23-09-2007, 12:24
dark reapers and khorne?

what do you reckon?

Progena
23-09-2007, 12:52
Greetings from the land of blondes and polar bears!

Yes, we've got a disproportionate amount of blondes, but please don't build up under the impression foreigners have of our country, that polar bears roam the streets of our capital. There are no giant maneating predators on the mainland.

Khorne's probably not evil, at least he's not aware that he is. It's his nature. It's like saying lions are evil when they gang up on a buffalo and choke it to death.

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 12:55
The buffalo might disagree with you there, and that's probably the point. Like all the Ruinous Powers, Khorne is so powerful and alien as to be essentially amoral. Good and Evil then depend largely on which end of the chainaxe you're on.

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-09-2007, 13:45
*sigh* We must the followers of the four brothers all be identical and act the same?

Khorne is not just the good of blood and slaughter. He is also the good of martial skill and martial honour, so it's perfectly possible and indeed quite likely that a sizable number of Khorne followers are not lunatic berserker, but rather skill-full and honourable warriors.

Chaos gets a lot more fun and interesting if we don't instead on straight-jacket everything into the very basic stereotypes most often presented.

Richter Kless
23-09-2007, 14:03
*sigh* We must the followers of the four brothers all be identical and act the same?

Khorne is not just the good of blood and slaughter. He is also the good of martial skill and martial honour, so it's perfectly possible and indeed quite likely that a sizable number of Khorne followers are not lunatic berserker, but rather skill-full and honourable warriors.

Chaos gets a lot more fun and interesting if we don't instead on straight-jacket everything into the very basic stereotypes most often presented.

Can you give me any, any example in the background that describes this kind of 'noble' warrior.

Savant
23-09-2007, 14:10
Khorne is only as 'evil' as the inhabitants of the Imperium (and all life in general), since they shape him.

But for the record, Khorne can't be evil since he doesn't have a will. He's not angry for a reason, he doesn't hate something and want it dead, and once it's dead he'll suddenly become the god of smiles and sunshine. He's angry because that's what he is - the god of anger.

He's not a person, he can't change, and you can't be evil without a will. It's like calling a hurricane evil because some people were killed by it - it's a force of nature, not a mind that destroyed out of malice or hate.

Slaaneshi Slave
23-09-2007, 14:10
None of the Chaos Gods are evil, they are neutral entities. How that energy is put to use dictates how they are percieved. The noble warrior who kills the evil tyrant to free his land from oppression is not evil, and yet he could be a minion of Khorne. Khorne is not the God of murder, he is the God of martial prowess, just like Slaanesh is not the God of perverts, but the God of perfection etc.

Khorghan
23-09-2007, 14:15
That's not the Khorne of today. The nicest that his servants today would do, is to gather up any captured folks, give them improvised weapons and hold arena matches - if a captive can kill a CSM, it's converted into the very berserking monster it killed. If the catpive is killed... Well, that's that. 'least he died sportingly.

I don't see them letting anyone go. They butcher everyone, one way or another.

EDIT: Actually, Nurgle is the God of Despair. Tzeentch is the God of Hope. To hope for something is to want something to change, right?

Yeah this is definatly it, i dont see many Khorne CSMs letting anyone go or anything

BattleofLund
23-09-2007, 14:17
Can you give me any, any example in the background that describes this kind of 'noble' warrior.

... maybe it's a bit of a slippery slope? You start out honorable and noble, and gradually get more and more inured to the bloodshed and skull-taking?

@Chilltouch: I think it would be more likely if captives are made to fight each other, to the death, until only the hardiest specimens are left to 'volunteer' for recruitment. After all, for a normal human to defeat a Marine he would have to be above all lucky. Khorne wants mighty fighters for followers, not lucky gits.

Savant
23-09-2007, 14:23
Hmm, I think all the gods are essentially good (they represent facets of humanity after all) but are so powerful that if any single human were to tap into that immense power it would overwhelm them. So Slaanesh, being god of sensation, isn't evil - he/she just has so much power that any mortal human trying to use that power would feel more sensation than any single human is ever meant to feel.

One thing that annoys me about the perception of Tzeench is that he is plotting and planning for some eventual end goal. No. He plots and plans because that's what he is - the god of change. His schemes probably contradict one-another quite a lot, because the minute he brings about a change he has to change it again. Even if he had an eventual goal he was working towards, the second he acheived it he'd have to change it again. He can't choose to stop.

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 14:31
BoL, you're right - that's quite true.

Cacodemon
23-09-2007, 14:37
There's nothing honorable or martial about Khorne, he is all about letting blood flow in the most brutal way. He doesn't care if it is a cowards kill from behind or butchering of innocent and helpless, as long as skulls are taken in wanton slaughtering.

mistformsquirrel
23-09-2007, 14:40
None of the Chaos Gods are evil, they are neutral entities. How that energy is put to use dictates how they are percieved. The noble warrior who kills the evil tyrant to free his land from oppression is not evil, and yet he could be a minion of Khorne. Khorne is not the God of murder, he is the God of martial prowess, just like Slaanesh is not the God of perverts, but the God of perfection etc.

Exactly.

Slaanesh - God of Excess - excess can mean MANY things. It could mean excess sex/drugs/rock and roll; or it could be excess skill, beauty, or order. Heck, look at the way the Emperor's Children were before the Heresy, and its no wonder they fell to Slaanesh. They were ridiculously perfectionist. To be excessive is not necessarily to be evil. Most real life rock stars I would consider quite excessive, but I wouldn't consider most of them 'evil' by any stretch. Same with many artists and writers.

Khorne - God of War and Blood - The gun isn't evil, the man with the gun might be. Or might not. There are khornate berserkers, yes, but at least in Fantasy there are instances of individuals seeking just revenge turning to Khorne as well. If you shoot the innocent, or attack without provocation, yes, you are likely quite evil. If you shoot the man trying to kill you, or destroy your enemies who have seriously harmed you and your kin, you probably aren't.

Tzeentch - God of Hope and Change - Tzeentch can be anything from a maniacal plotter to an inspiration to those who want to make things 'better'. Again I'll turn to fantasy, look at Aekold Helbrass - the man was genuinely upset by the state of affairs in the Empire; and turned to Tzeentch as a part of a Cult of Change; hoping to alter that state of affairs.

Nurgle - God of Despair and Decay - Nurgle is both a god of rot, and a god of "being happy with what you have". Some of his followers most certainly spread disease and misery; but others turn to Grandfather Nurgle to dull their physical pains, or to make a daily life of drudgery more bearable. Basically the god of turning lemons into lemonade. "Ok, I'm sick; but thanks to Nurgle, I don't feel it, nor will I ever die from this disease!"

The problem is that most 40k fluff only focuses on a very narrow view of the gods, mostly through the eyes of the Traitor Legions, who almost certainly ARE evil.

You have to separate Traitor Legions from Chaos Gods - because they aren't the same thing.

Thing to remember: The Chaos Gods offer you power within their rather vast realm of influence - it is up to you how you use that power. Of course, as we all know, power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely; so its no surprise that many Chaos followers DO end up rather evil eventually - after all, when you can unmake a man with a mere thought; why be the good guy? Everything is your's for the taking after all.

That doesn't preclude Chaos followers from being good however, it merely requires an incredible degree of personal mastery. Ironically, although wholly evil, I believe Abbadon most exemplifies this. He uses Chaos for his ends; all four of the gods have blessed him, but none of them 'owns' him. I think Abaddon demonstrates very well the possibility of being a Chaos worshiper who is still their own master; its just a rare individual who can do such a thing.

icegreentea
23-09-2007, 14:53
chaos gods are chaotic neutral!

thier most badass worshippers just happen to be chaotic evil.

heretics bane
23-09-2007, 14:55
But if i spill blood to kill some one/thing thats evil and will help others is that evil? but im still sheding blood

Col. Dash
23-09-2007, 15:12
In the older fluff Khorne would kill any berserker and add his skull to his throne for killing an unarmed or helpless opponent as there is no martial prowess or honor involved. In the newer crap fluff all of the gods have been simplified to appease a younger more moronic crowd that doesnt want to see a gray area. Grandfather Nurgle used to march to battle happily whistling along with the noise marines, and was a much more neutral god than he is portrayed now. It was a want and need to see his children grow and prosper as opposed to enjoying wiping out worlds with disease just because.

Lucifer216
23-09-2007, 16:23
However, the 40K universe is sufficiently large enough to cater for everyone's tastes.

It's likely that the more honourable Khorne worshippers (those with a quasi-blood dragon obession regarding martial prowess) just don't see the point of leaving the Eye of Terror. After all, it's filled to the brim with worthy opponents, while if you're a beserker obessed with the desire to see the Imperium in flames, of course you're going to go off on a rampage.

The same is true of the other chaos powers. The magnus who spends thousands of years in a library honing his knowledge of the arcane, the Nurgle worshippers who are content in whallowing in their own filth and refining the art of black comedy or the Slaanesh worshipper who preferes to spend centuries with each of his new "darlings" are hardly going to get a mention as they don't further the concept of a universe perpetually at war.

The fact that almost all background is from a (semi) imperial perspective means that there's a great deal about Chaos that we will never really see.

Going back to my earlier example, the eye of terror probably has worlds which although saturated with chaotic energy aren't utterly homicidal to life as we know it and therefore probably have cultures similar to that of Norsca (WHFB) or Fenris. If this wasn't the case, then the logistics of Chaos would be impossible, as captured slaves and plunder could not support the legions and hordes of chaos on their own.

Incidentally, I wonder if we'll ever see a Conan style series of adventures in the Eye of Terror, from the perspective of an aspiring (non-marine) chaos champion. Could be rather fun, especially if it turned out anything like Ben Counter's Daemon World (which is one of my favourite BL books).

Green-is-best
23-09-2007, 17:02
As has been mentioned, Khorne is not evil at all. He's not good either. He just is. Hell, he's not even a he, he's an it. Likewise a true follower of Khorne (like Kharn) slays not out of noble or ill will, but simply because one who walks the Khornate path slays. To quote a Magic card: "Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is it's own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns..."

Slaaneshi Slave
23-09-2007, 17:10
One who walks Khornes true path FIGHTS, not kills. He is the God of martial prowess. Two dualists who spend eternity in none lethal combat are as much worshipping Khorne as Kharn is when he is knee deep in blood.

Green-is-best
23-09-2007, 17:15
One who walks Khornes true path FIGHTS, not kills. He is the God of martial prowess. Two dualists who spend eternity in none lethal combat are as much worshipping Khorne as Kharn is when he is knee deep in blood.

I dunno, blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne and all that...

The Guy
23-09-2007, 17:19
If Khorne is the god of fighting and all that..then why doesn't he get his hands dirty sometimes? Instead of letting everyone else get all the fights.

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 17:21
On the basis that daemons are little more than aspects and extensions of that god's will, who is to say he doesn't?

Damien 1427
23-09-2007, 17:31
Incidentally, I wonder if we'll ever see a Conan style series of adventures in the Eye of Terror, from the perspective of an aspiring (non-marine) chaos champion. Could be rather fun, especially if it turned out anything like Ben Counter's Daemon World (which is one of my favourite BL books).

That would be awesome. Beyond some of the minor fluff-farts in that, it was a brilliant piece of Chaos fiction.

The Guy
23-09-2007, 17:36
But why don't he put ALL his daemons together into a super duper uber daemon? And another thing what to beserkers do with the skulls they take? :confused:

Savant
23-09-2007, 17:45
I dunno, blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull Throne and all that...

Just out of interest, has Khorne ever actually said that, or just his followers? Because for all we know the whole 'blood for the blood god' bit could be a fabrication of Khornate Beserkers, which doesn't neccessarily reflect Khorne's actual outlook.

Green-is-best
23-09-2007, 17:49
But why don't he put ALL his daemons together into a super duper uber daemon? And another thing what to beserkers do with the skulls they take? :confused:

Fed ex 'em
Khorne, Blood God, Lord of Rage, King of Skulls
ATTN: Interior Design Dept.
888 Blood Street Suite 8
Realm of Chaos City, Realm of Chaos, 88888-8888

Green-is-best
23-09-2007, 17:50
Just out of interest, has Khorne ever actually said that, or just his followers? Because for all we know the whole 'blood for the blood god' bit could be a fabrication of Khornate Beserkers, which doesn't neccessarily reflect Khorne's actual outlook.

I dunno, I don't think any of the Chaos gods have ever "said" anything.

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 18:02
And as for the super mega ultra daemon of blood and skulls...that's basically what Khorne is. Fortunately, he would require so much warp energy to materialise that it basically can't happen.

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 18:22
People find it easier to lean towards an extreme rather than maintaining a balance.

And usually, it's much easier to fall into the worse extreme.

Which explains why Khorne's all about frothing berserkers.

RedStompa
23-09-2007, 18:47
well being a Choas god isn't exactly a good thing to be.

Worshippers of Khorne will kill EVERYTHING that stands before them. Blood for the Blood God Skulls for the Skull Throne.

I think when bezerkers chant "Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull throne"

its their way of praising Khorne, and by shedding blood and taking skulls, they offer gifts to him for giving them streangth.

Khorne is a very evil chaos god, maybe not the most evil, but simply being a chaos god means your pretty damn evil.

Slaaneshi Slave
23-09-2007, 18:56
Hardly. You've never read any background about Chaos that doesn't focus purely on Chaos Marines and Imperial Chaos Cults, have you?

Khaine's Messenger
23-09-2007, 19:00
In the old (and some of the new) Khorne and khorneate marines are describde as hounrebla warriors that don't hurt unarmed or civillians. They fight for the hounor of thier god and seek to eb the greatest warriors of all time...

Is that evil??

That depends on whether or not you take an absolutist view of evil and whether or not you judge actions by their consequences as opposed to their inherent worth as actions (incl. all deliberation that goes into them). It's all a rather thorny issue that real-life philosophers and such have been sniping at each other about for centuries if not millenia.

I take the stance that the Chaos Gods have currently is inimical to the stability of the Imperium and the security (physical, mental, spiritual) of the human race, and therefore they should be opposed or checked as much as possible. This is not a question of good and evil as such, although the Imperium (and many other groups of sentients) certainly frames it that way. Rather, as humans we take insult at being on the prey side of the predator-prey relationship when we have the will and power to fight.

However, that takes the long and broad view. Are your hypothetical warriors evil? Frankly, having a code of honor does not give them a free pass, whether or not they spare the unarmed and defenseless. But are they evil, though? Well, if they wage war for its own sake or engage in the willful destruction of human life for no other reason than to please their god, I think they have a bit of evil in them (by my standards). I am sure you could craft a wonderful example where a person is drawn into Khorne worship to protect his homeland or someone he loves or even just because the local tribe/civilization worships Khorne by default...yeah, sure. But that doesn't change the built-in problems with Chaos in general.

Kandarin
23-09-2007, 21:31
None of the Chaos Gods are evil or good. They represent emotions, not morals, and no one emotion is automatically good or evil. There are times when it may be good to express anger, or physical desire, or hope for change, or complacency. There are times when it may be evil to express these emotions.

What the Chaos Gods represent are extremes. Those that follow them start expressing those emotions more and more constantly, not caring whether it is good or evil to do so. This does not stop them from committing good or evil acts, it simply limits their emotional range such that they lose the ability to feel anything but that which their patron god decrees.

As has already been mentioned, it's sometimes possible to beat the system by balancing all four Chaos Gods against each other, thus opening oneself to the full range of emotions while still gaining power. However, this Unvidided path isn't for the weak-willed, takes longer to build up power, and still runs the risk of getting spawned by one god who's jealous of the attention the worshipper is giving to the others. When it does succeed, though, the results are awe-inspiring.

Shiakou
24-09-2007, 00:03
Khorne is psychotic, therefore insane. Hence he cannot be evil as he's incapable of considering whether what he is doing is good or evil.

RedStompa
24-09-2007, 00:13
Hardly. You've never read any background about Chaos that doesn't focus purely on Chaos Marines and Imperial Chaos Cults, have you?

who are you talking to?

Shiakou
24-09-2007, 00:24
who are you talking to?

Er, I think he's talking to you.

Green-is-best
24-09-2007, 00:29
Khorne is psychotic, therefore insane. Hence he cannot be evil as he's incapable of considering whether what he is doing is good or evil.

Psychotic? By what standard? How can the gestalt of all rage even be measured with such simple human criteria?

Shiakou
24-09-2007, 01:20
Psychotic? By what standard? How can the gestalt of all rage even be measured with such simple human criteria?

Exactly. A psychotic individual loses rationality, proper social behavior, and morality. What else to describe Khorne but that which describes something so inhuman? "Psychotic" isn't a criterion for judgement and condemnation, it is an acceptance that the individual is so far beyond us (not neccessarily above us) that any attachment of morality of deviant aims is simply superfluous. Khorne is simply rage, honor, bloodlust and skill personified, if at all.

Look up "psychotic" in any dictionary. It describes someone who is NOT thinking with a human mind.

Green-is-best
24-09-2007, 01:55
Exactly. A psychotic individual loses rationality, proper social behavior, and morality. What else to describe Khorne but that which describes something so inhuman? "Psychotic" isn't a criterion for judgement and condemnation, it is an acceptance that the individual is so far beyond us (not neccessarily above us) that any attachment of morality of deviant aims is simply superfluous. Khorne is simply rage, honor, bloodlust and skill personified, if at all.

Look up "psychotic" in any dictionary. It describes someone who is NOT thinking with a human mind.

He is not human, thus unless you're positing that blood gods have a "normal" state of mind from which Khorne can deviate from, Khrone cannot suffer from psychosis. Is a lion or a scorpion "psychotic" because they don't adhere to human morals?

Shiakou
24-09-2007, 02:02
He is not human, thus unless you're positing that blood gods have a "normal" state of mind from which Khorne can deviate from, Khrone cannot suffer from psychosis. Is a lion or a scorpion "psychotic" because they don't adhere to human morals?

Yes they are, little one. The lions and the scorpions hunger for the warmth of your blood, and should you ever come across them, do unto them first that which they will do unto you.

Green-is-best
24-09-2007, 02:19
Yes they are, little one. The lions and the scorpions hunger for the warmth of your blood, and should you ever come across them, do unto them first that which they will do unto you.

A wise man once said "you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means."

Main Entry: psy·chot·ic
Pronunciation: sI-'kä-tik
Function: adjective
: of, relating to, marked by, or affected with psychosis <a psychotic patient> <psychotic behavior>
- psychotic noun
- psy·chot·i·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

Main Entry: psy·cho·sis
Pronunciation: sI-'kO-s&s
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural psy·cho·ses /-"sEz/
Etymology: New Latin
: fundamental derangement of the mind (as in schizophrenia) characterized by defective or lost contact with reality especially as evidenced by delusions, hallucinations, and disorganized speech and behavior

So, unless you're arguing that non-human beings are taking leave of their senses by acting in accordance to their most basic instinctual drives, then I don't think you understand what psychotic means, "little one."

Shiakou
24-09-2007, 02:33
By the Blood God, you're pedantic.

If Khorne is psychotic, he is. If he's sane, then he acts psychotic, so it still counts. And if he's evil and his instinct is to be evil, then his instinct is psychotic. See?

Green-is-best
24-09-2007, 02:36
By the Blood God, you're pedantic.

If Khorne is psychotic, he is. If he's sane, then he acts psychotic, so it still counts. And if he's evil and his instinct is to be evil, then his instinct is psychotic. See?

Hey, don't cry to me if you don't understand the English language buddy.

Hellebore
24-09-2007, 02:54
Considering there is no cosmic evil force in the universe, Khorne cannot be evil. There is no evil constant.

Khorne is only evil to us in the sense that someone that advocates killing people unconditionally means they could kill YOU or your friends/family, which we don't like.

As they say, evil is in the eye of the beholder.

Hellebore

Kandarin
24-09-2007, 04:46
Considering there is no cosmic evil force in the universe, Khorne cannot be evil. There is no evil constant.

A good constant would suffice, but there isn't one of those in 40K either.

Shiakou
24-09-2007, 04:59
In retrospect, there's no good or evil, there's only "us", "them", and "the others". Sometimes not even that. Oh, and "war", of course.

zekrish
24-09-2007, 19:29
Yes, we've got a disproportionate amount of blondes, but please don't build up under the impression foreigners have of our country, that polar bears roam the streets of our capital. There are no giant maneating predators on the mainland.

I usually tell people that we give the polarbears fish so they will protect us from the seal.. some americans and australians actually belived me....

Khorne is not evil!! he is misunderstood! the old fluff rule!
and oh yes here is an example of the noble warrior (from the epic black legion armylist):
''Khorne is the god of anger and
destruction, the warrior god of Chaos
whose bellows of rage echo
throughout time and space. He sits
upon a great throne of brass atop a
mountainous pile of bleached skulls.
Whenever a Champion of Khorne is
slain in battle his skull is added to the pile, which
slowly grows higher and higher. Khorne is a
fighting god and his daemons and mortal
Champions are amongst the most potent warriors
of all. Khorne is a noble warrior who respects
strength and bravery, who takes no joy in
destroying the weak and considers the helpless
unworthy of his wrath. It is said that fate will spare
any brave warrior who calls upon Khorne's name
and pledges his soul to the blood god. It is also said
that Khorne's daemons will hunt down and destroy
any warrior who betrays his honour by killing a
helpless innocent or murdering in cold blood.
Khorne's great delight is battle and the spilling of
blood.''

brother alinski
24-09-2007, 22:37
Khorne is the god of blood, skulls, brass, rage, martial pride, martial prowess, honour, worriors and is also the fire element. khorne shapes all off his followers in his own path but they can only go so far, its not like a must follow rule book kinda thing. some will deam a unarmed man as a worthless skull and wont kill them (martial prowess), others will kill them for being weak and not even having the honour to fight back. so its not khorne who is good or evil its the champion who fights in his name.

BattleofLund
24-09-2007, 22:44
Or as the great philosopher Christian was wont to say: 'Få se hur kaxig du är med en gaffel i ögat'.

(oh and for you English-speakers, a rough translation would be 'You say that, but you wouldn't be so cocky with a fork in your eye'.)

zekrish
25-09-2007, 15:15
Or as the great philosopher Christian was wont to say: 'Få se hur kaxig du är med en gaffel i ögat'.

(oh and for you English-speakers, a rough translation would be 'You say that, but you wouldn't be so cocky with a fork in your eye'.)

Indeed! I have no ****ign idea what this have to do with anything.. but long live lund!

Kahadras
25-09-2007, 17:59
Khorne is not evil!! he is misunderstood! the old Fluff rule!
and oh yes here is an example of the noble warrior (from the epic black legion armylist):
''Khorne is the god of anger and
destruction, the warrior god of Chaos
whose bellows of rage echo
throughout time and space. He sits
upon a great throne of brass atop a
mountainous pile of bleached skulls.
Whenever a Champion of Khorne is
slain in battle his skull is added to the pile, which
slowly grows higher and higher. Khorne is a
fighting god and his daemons and mortal
Champions are amongst the most potent warriors
of all. Khorne is a noble warrior who respects
strength and bravery, who takes no joy in
destroying the weak and considers the helpless
unworthy of his wrath. It is said that fate will spare
any brave warrior who calls upon Khorne's name
and pledges his soul to the blood god. It is also said
that Khorne's daemons will hunt down and destroy
any warrior who betrays his honour by killing a
helpless innocent or murdering in cold blood.
Khorne's great delight is battle and the spilling of
blood.''

Exactly. I much prefer the old fluff over the new 'Chaos is teh evil!' route which GW have gone down. All of the Chaos gods had good points as well as bad which GW seem to now ignore because they seemingly feel that the universe needs dumbing down into 'good' and 'evil' for all the young kids who are getting into the hobby.

Kahadras

Adra
25-09-2007, 18:19
Hmmm...i think Khorne is much more simple than Martial Prowess...that term gets banded about alot. Its just violence through combat and the emotions that go with it. If a man hits another man with intent to harm it is Khorne that feels the benefit...not much but a little. the fact that Khorne likes chapions is only because they kill alot of people and give him strength. The master of martial prowess is equal in Khornes eyes to the baseball bat swinging mutant badger if their kill count is the same. Look at World Eaters. They are swirling tornadoes of death and violence but do you think Khorne really cares how they do it? With axe of knife or club...what does it matter to him. the only thing he seems to demand...the only specific...is thats its done close up so you and your victim get the full range of emotions generated from a kill thrown in your face. All the sweeter for Khorne.

If the weak and innocent fall under the blade of violence or killed in the name of Khorne then who is he to argue. Its all blood and skulls to him.

BattleofLund
25-09-2007, 21:06
But Adra, in all fluff we are told that Khornates 'feel a special affinity with axes'. Therefore, it seems that Khorne is not simply some aggression-vampire, sucking psychic death-screams and kill-screams from the battlefields of eternity. [tries to shrug off the blanket of poetry]

Khorne is the sum of all his followers, past (now dead) and present. Since a majority of those have embraced warrior ideals in life, Khorne now has as an integral part those very values.

@zekrish: I just thought the discussion needed some levity. I won't apologize. :cool: <- don't you agree that this dude sees too little screen-time?