PDA

View Full Version : Realms of Chaos: Still valid?

Chilltouch
23-09-2007, 11:53
I just want to see everyone's views on this. Do you think that the Realms of Chaos book should still be valid and count towards the Chaos background today, or do you think it is out of date with all of the new background entries, and needs to be either replaced or renewed?

Vaulkhar
23-09-2007, 11:57
I would suggest that it remains valid, where it is not retconned by a newer source. As far as the nature of the Gods goes, I tend to use the Liber Chaotica. Yes, it's a WFB resource, but the Chaos Gods are the same and poor old Kless had some interesting visions....

Phunting
23-09-2007, 12:13
Indeed. I'd take it like all RT era stuff, each bit is valid unless specifically contradicted by newer info.

MadDoc
23-09-2007, 12:16
You really should have added a "Yes, except where superceded by more recent material" option.

Ardathair
23-09-2007, 16:05
I say yes, except where more recent background have superceeded it.

Though, just about everytime I quote from those books on various threads I recieve a barage of posts denouncing those tombs. (There was a recent thread speculating on the births of Khorne, Tzeench, and Nurgle which comes to mind.)

If/when GW puts out with a more interesting version of something from those books, Great.

If/when GW puts out a watered down, I'll accept it and only refer to the older version when people ask about it. (Some fools whine if you answer questions about older version.)

If GW has not put out anything new, I say let the old/existing version stand instead of denounsing it just because it was out of print before the newbe started playing.

Col. Dash
23-09-2007, 16:59
I say its more accurate than the newer stupified crap that GW puts out these days. I am sorry, I am not lowering myself to accept them simplifying everything just to appease a bunch of kids who dont want there to be different angles of things so as to be easier to keep it straight. It takes away from the game and the story and makes things too one sided.

Crube
23-09-2007, 17:00
Yes, unless superceded gets my vote.

I tended to use them as source material for WFRP more than WFB though...

Kage2020
23-09-2007, 21:02
I'm a Holist, more or less, as differentiated from a Revisionist. The latter basically espouses or otherwise prefers the idea that "new is true," while the former tends to try and smooth and accommodate the differences between the various editions. Both, of course, offer up an interpretative preference. (One in that "new is true," and the other in which flavour is true, in the cases that they cannot be seamlessly blended, though those situations are few and far between.)

Thus, for me, the Realms of Chaos duology are as relevant now as they were back in the day. Sure there are obvious problems with some of the background material, i.e. the origins of the Chaos Gods, but that is as true today as it was then. The "War in Heaven" certainly provides more questions than answers, at least officially since fan interpretations can answer many of the questions.

This doesn't mean that I ignore, say, Liber Chaotica. As above I take it into consideration. Or, rather, I will when I get to read it, since MvS has some fascinating takes on things.

So, not only do I think that the Realms of Chaos books are valid, but feel they are as valid as some of the newer materials.

Kage