PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Inquisitor Czevak?

GildorInglorion
24-09-2007, 07:35
Does anybody know what happened to Inquisitor Czevak? Is there any writings somewhere telling more about him?

Here is the text from the new (brilliant!!!) book "The Inquisition":

"Czevak. Human Male. Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Lord. Spoke at the Conclave of Har, regarding the threat of the tyranid race. Expert on the Eldar and author of the Teaching of the Unholy. One of the few to enter the Black Library and partake of the dark knowledge within. Sought by the sorcerer of the Thousand Sons Traitor Legion, Ahriman, who desires this knowledge for himself. Disappeared around 999.M41, his last contact recorded in the Sentinel Worlds."

What happened to him after that? Don't you agree that he is maybe one of the most important humans in the WH40K universe, having entered the Black Library?

Nick

Carlos
24-09-2007, 08:05
I imagine GW have/had him planned as a special character in the Xenos INQ codex

stormblade
24-09-2007, 08:07
As far as I remember he was cought and questioned by Ahriman before he was freed by the Harlequins- they have yet to give him back to the Imperium.

GildorInglorion
24-09-2007, 11:51
As far as I remember he was cought and questioned by Ahriman before he was freed by the Harlequins- they have yet to give him back to the Imperium.

Nice story, I like it, I didn't know that. Do you remember the source?

Nick

Dio´Ra
24-09-2007, 12:03
Nice story, I like it, I didn't know that. Do you remember the source?

Nick

i think it was during the eye of terror world campaign, where ahriman wanderd around the webway searching for the black library, cant remember if he found it tough.

Iracundus
24-09-2007, 13:21
Eye of Terror campaign results article in WD, titled "Death by a Thousand Cuts" (ie Chaos victory)

Anyway, Ahriman captured Czevak, and via interrogation or sorcery got enough knowledge to invade the Webway. Considering the campaign pitted Thousand Sons (3.5 edition) vs. Craftworld Eldar (probably the most numerous Xenos faction in terms of players), the outcome was never in doubt. Ahriman was ejected from the Webway before he could find the Black Library and the Harlequins recaptured Czevak from Ahriman, but they haven't released him.

His fate remains unknown other than that. Presumably the Harlequins have either killed him off or they've kept him incarcerated while they consider what to do. He is a potential security leak for the Black Library after all.

McNuggets
24-09-2007, 13:31
Here we go, the exact quote from WD 287

"Ahriman himself ripped open the walls of the webway with information torn from the mind of Inquisitor Czevak. His plan to breach the fastness of the Black Library came dangerously close to fruition, but the combined forces of the mysterious Harlequins and Ulthwe strike force held him from its gates. In a daring move the Harlequins of the Red Masque freed Inquisitor Czevak, though what they have done with him is, at present, unknown: at present it is believed by Imperial Astropaths that he may have been incarcerated by the Eldar within the Webway"

GildorInglorion
24-09-2007, 13:50
Thanks, very interesting!

I don't really believe he is "incarcerated'. After all, allowing him to enter the Black Library has been a huge step, never taken before, surely with important reasons and plans behind it. Why (let me say) wasting the investment made?

Nick

Progena
24-09-2007, 15:55
Thanks, very interesting!

I don't really believe he is "incarcerated'. After all, allowing him to enter the Black Library has been a huge step, never taken before, surely with important reasons and plans behind it. Why (let me say) wasting the investment made?

Nick

Well, after his little trip into the Black Liberary (they let in only those who find it and believe in their own cause 100%) and read stuff no man should ever read he went psycho xenophobe and advocated xenocide on Eldar... so I imagine the Eldar won't free someone who screams "Death to the Alien!" at the top of his lounghs when they approach his cage...

Don't remember where I read this,

Didn't Ahriman have help from the Dark Eldar?

Tabris2000
24-09-2007, 16:27
I think the entire episode would make a great 40K novel. BL should get on that...

RedStompa
24-09-2007, 16:51
lounghs

No offence, but this is quite possibly the most interesting spelling of 'lungs' I have ever heard...

I doubt the eldar would care what he yelled.To them hes just an animal anyways...

Mechanicus
24-09-2007, 17:11
I think Czevak was radical, not puritan; i.e. much more alien-friendly. I'm sure he had been in the Black Library before, and I don't remember anything about him going insane. He organised several conclaves afterwards though; presumably (given the "threat that will see us all to our graves, end of the universe" style quotes) geared against Chaos and Necrons. :)

Could be wrong though.

Progena
24-09-2007, 17:34
No offence, but this is quite possibly the most interesting spelling of 'lungs' I have ever heard...

Lungs ofc, thanks. No offence taken, now I won't write it wrong the next time around. I figured it was wrong (that is however the way it's natural for me to pronounce it), but I didn't bother looking it up.

And I didn't meen 'psycho xenophobe' as in nuts, but as in obsessed. And I can't remember where I read it, so I can't defend it.

Mechanicus
24-09-2007, 17:56
And I didn't meen 'psycho xenophobe' as in nuts, but as in obsessed. And I can't remember where I read it, so I can't defend it.That's fine. I'm not too sure where I read my information, to be honest! :D

Rockerfella
24-09-2007, 19:56
Considering the campaign pitted Thousand Sons (3.5 edition) vs. Craftworld Eldar (probably the most numerous Xenos faction in terms of players), the outcome was never in doubt.

I assume therefore that you also (based on the above comment) believe that every other campaign result and outcome is never in doubt, as the Imperial players outnumber any other? Is that why the Imperium always win campaigns? ;)

I've my own little theory about Ahriman and the Black Library. This is one of Cegorachs cruelest tricks. It is the absolute pinnacle of cruelty to let your dearest enemy see, smell, in fact almost touch that which they most desire , only to whip it away from under their feet at the last moment. THAT is cruel. So close, yet so far.

It probably crushes ambition and dream, and in doing so makes one realise how tiny your efforts are (even if you're a super sorcerer) compared to the whims and pranks of a being such as Cegorach and his Harlequins.

I'd have loved to have seen Eldrad 'talk' some sense into Ahriman. That would have been fun. ;)

Iracundus
24-09-2007, 21:34
Incorrect. The sub-campaign of the EoT had an outcome that was never in doubt even if the main campaign was won by the FoD due to the use of the cascade effect. The two segments of that campaign highlights the importance of the mechanics and player distributions.

Read my breakdown of the campaign rules in another thread. The Webway campaign though was a foregone conclusion since it had no cascade effect and only 3 warzones, meaning things turned into just simple head butting matches of win numbers. Considering it was Thousand Sons and Dark Eldar vs. Craftworld Eldar, along with the fact that a sizable fraction of the Dark Eldar fought AGAINST the Thousand Sons since they didn't like to be pawns of humans or Chaos, then you have a massively lopsided distribution of players in the Webway sub-campaign. With no campaign mechanic allowing for strategy, and simple brute force numbers being the only thing governing, Ahriman had no prayer of making any headway. The Eldar effectively swept the Belial warzone and were well on their way to repeating that on Eidolon, if they had had more time.

Any campaign where it comes down to simple win numbers will favor the side with the most players, and that boils down to the Imperium usually. Of all of GW's 40K campaigns, the only one that definitely had a means for overcoming outnumbering was the EoT. The Medusa V organizers claimed their system didn't depend on total player numbers but the system was not transparent enough for players to prove or disprove that claim.

ArtificerArmour
26-09-2007, 09:59
the latest reference to Czevak - New codex chaos, page 57:

The [space hulk] unholy harbinger was...positively identified [in the EoT campaign] by inquisitor Czevak as part of an invading fleet that attacked Belis Corona...

So. Aparently Czevak was around and reporting to the inquisition at the time of EoT. This, I highly doubt, and is just Gav not knowing his fluff.

Kiro
26-09-2007, 12:45
Ahhh, Czevak, my favourite Inquisitor. Here's a question though: why oh why would the Harlequins have let him into the Black Library?....

LexxBomb
26-09-2007, 13:00
well he wasn't the FIRST INQUISITOR to get in. dont forget Draco. (hes probably still floating around the webway.

anyway there shouldn't be any problem letting in a xeno inquisitor given that the big black book deals in maters of chaos. (unless you include how the Eldar created Slannesh)

Rockerfella
26-09-2007, 15:48
Not sure why they would let an Inquisitor in really. Could be a few reasons. If the Eldar let a high ranking Inquisitor know (especially one thats kinda sympathetic to the Eldar) that they too are staunch (probably the staunchest) opposers of Chaos then they have common ground. Allies are good. No matter what the Eldar spout about humans being filth and less than animals, they are not stupid and know when to barter and or make a deal. I'm guessing that the Eldar thought it prudent to share a tiny amount of their mased anti chaos intelligence and try to make friends with humans that matter.

Maybe.... :P

Mechanicus
26-09-2007, 16:06
So. Aparently Czevak was around and reporting to the inquisition at the time of EoT. This, I highly doubt, and is just Gav not knowing his fluff.Considering that we a), don't know when Czevak disappeared, except it was before or in the year 999 and b), that Belis Corona seems to have been under attack since nearly the beginning of the 13th Black Crusade (around or before 387 of 999) by the Plague Fleets, I think its a forgiveable oversight, if it indeed is one.

warmaster tz'arkan
26-09-2007, 20:55

all true up to the harlequin part. it was actually the dark eldar.

Luthien
26-09-2007, 21:46
I think you may be wrong, i can't recall that fluff. It doesn't sound like Dark Eldar anyway, they aint in the business of saving people

BrainFireBob
27-09-2007, 04:41
Czevak is Illuminati. The Illuminati are allowed in.

In fact, one could argue that Illuminati are more likely to be Inquisitors.

Although, considering Fulgrim, it makes even less sense for a normal human to achieve that state.

Hellebore
27-09-2007, 04:44
Czevak is Illuminati. The Illuminati are allowed in.

In fact, one could argue that Illuminati are more likely to be Inquisitors.

Although, considering Fulgrim, it makes even less sense for a normal human to achieve that state.

Perhaps Fulgrim secretly unconciously WANTED the possession? Flimsy, but not impossible...

Hellebore

elvinltl
27-09-2007, 06:07
He became the Librarian of the Black Library... The harlequins placed him in charged. :D

Mechanicus
27-09-2007, 12:54
Czevak is Illuminati. The Illuminati are allowed in. I hadn't heard that... Where did you read it? :confused: