PDA

View Full Version : 2K Blood Dragons

DrkAp0stle
01-09-2005, 02:31
I have recently decided to ressurect my old vamp counts army list, but this time with blood dragons and not strigoi, this is what I have come up with so far.

Lords

Vampire Count Vanhel Von Helburn-336

general, great weapon, lv. 2 magic user, the flayed hauberk, ring of the night, red fury.

Heroes

Necromancer-150

Lv.2, Dispel Scroll, Book of Arkhan

Necromancer-140

Lv.2, dispel scroll, black periapt

Core

30 Skeletons-257

Handweapons, full command, shields

30 skeletons-286

spears, full command, shields

12 Dire Wolves-130

Doom Wolf

Special

24 Grave Guard-435(general joins this unit)

heavy armor, halberd, shields, full command, banne of the barrows

8 Black Knights-265

Full command, barding, war banner

Total-1999

Casting Dice-7

Well, what do you guys think?

-Ap0stle

Alco Engineer
01-09-2005, 02:40
Seems pretty sweet. I'd divide the wolves into 2 smaller units to bite at the flanks of your opponent (only needing 3 to negat ranks) and that way they'll be more flexible too.

Other than that looks pretty normal (that's 2 BIG units of skellies but i guess you'd rather not rely on magic to get more)

Thrall with the Knights would be good but everything comes with a price tag.

fubukii
01-09-2005, 02:49
get rid of the flayed huab and take killing blow power instead if you get wounded you can always heal yourself. drop skels down to 25

DrkAp0stle
01-09-2005, 14:38
Other than that looks pretty normal (that's 2 BIG units of skellies but i guess you'd rather not rely on magic to get more)

Thing is that Im actually relying on summoning quite a few more skeletons, the original list had 90 skeltons but I dropped the unit to throw in some knights, etc.

This is to fubukii, do I really need killing bllow that much, I mean Str.7, 5 atks, WS 9?

-Ap0stle

fubukii
01-09-2005, 18:13
it really would depend on what your facing i guess but overal id still use it. Great for taking other lord type characters. i would def pack it to kill those nasty melee characters in 1 round of combat :)

Karhedron
01-09-2005, 19:12
I agree, ditch the Flayed Hauberk and spend the points elsewhere. Blood Dragons get full plate armour built into their cost so it seems a shame to waste it. I agree that Killing Blow is one of the best abilities you can buy. A character with that many attacks stands a good chance of slaying almost anything.

I also agree that 2 units of 6 wolves is probably better as it gives you more tactical flexibility (always good considering that your basic troops are slightly less skilled than Goblins in combat ;)).

Lastly I would have the general join one of the Skeleton units. The reason is that the Wights can generally hold their own against most opponents. Skeletons and Zombies really need the killing power of a Vamp in their front rank to stand a chance of winning combats.

fubukii
01-09-2005, 19:41
im also not a huge fan of the halbred in general try droping it and taking Hw/shield GG for a 3+ save in combat. Vs heavily armored trops the difference between str4 and 5 isnt whats gonna kill them its gonna be the killing blow anyway.

DrkAp0stle
01-09-2005, 20:48
Mk, after taking in the comments from what people have said. I dropped teh hauberk and threw in master strike, and strength of steel(giving him str.8 on the charge). I dropped the halberds and the warbanner on the black knights. I split the unit of wolves up into 2 but with the extra points I was able to get them to a unit of 9 and a unit of 8, both with doom wolves.

With these new changes, do you guys think it has a decent chance against an empire army that Im playing this weekend, its really shooty but has a lack of magic defense, only 1 lv.2 scroll caddy mage.

-Ap0stle

gorenut
01-09-2005, 22:21
Yea, looks quite typical. Personally, I'd theme it more to give it a more Blood Dragon "feeling" but that's just me. Also.. I'd maximize the killing blow by giving him 2 hand weapons and red fury. I think it'd be a waste of his high initiative to just give him a great weapon. I throw those on a thrall who can benefit more from a flayed hauberk (which I don't see in your army, I love BD thralls).

DisturbeD_
01-09-2005, 22:50
yea, the more attacks the better with the killing blow, and like Karhedron said he would want to be in one of the skely units to make sure they win the comabt other wise you will be losing a few of them from combat res

DrkAp0stle
02-09-2005, 02:03
I was looking through the army book and I realized that you guys were right about the whole throw in the count into a unit of skeltons to give them some staying power. Since he will be with skeletons, I was thinking maybe its worth it trying to put in the tomb blade?

-0Ne

backslide
02-09-2005, 02:15
not really as the count must always issue a challenge, thus may not be fighting one wound models a great deal of the time.

DrkAp0stle
02-09-2005, 02:17
Oh yeah..I forgot abuot the whole always agrees to challenges thing...

-0Ne

the_night_reaper
02-09-2005, 03:30
normally in challenges he'll fight the unit champion because players dont want their generals or heros in a one on one fight with a blood dragon vampire as they're one of the best fighting characters in the game. If you end up fighting against and ultra super cheesy chaos lord of death that will accept the challenge then... your screwed. sry i dont know where I'm going with this. But anyway I'd take it and take the item that makes magic whatever it is that makes the opponent have to take a leadership check to fight in a challenge against you.

If this battle against empire is a serious game that you really want to win, then i wouldn't take and go with what everyone else says. However if it's just a fun game where you feel safe to experiment with stuff then go for it and tell us how it works out.

fubukii
02-09-2005, 03:32
VC magic weapons suck ecept the sword of kings, stick with a great wpn or 2hw

DrkAp0stle
02-09-2005, 20:13
Hmm, after looking at the list, I realized that I could throw in either a wight lord with sword of kings or another lv.2 necromancer, think its worth addding either of them into the list? The wight would be going with the grave guard btw.

-0Ne

Karhedron
02-09-2005, 20:43
Personally I would probably opt for a Thrall Battle standard bearer with Flayed Hauberk and whatever magic items or blood line powers take your fancy with the remaining 20 points.

However if you are making a choice between just the two you listed then a Wight Lord with a Blade of Kings will put the fear of Aborash into just about any character in the game. :evilgrin:

DrkAp0stle
02-09-2005, 21:12
True(about the wight lord), i realized that needing another heavy hitter was needed quite a bit. Now Im thinking again, do the grave guard really need the wight lord in there, or should i just throw him into my other unit of skeletons just to give them some staying power also. I mean the grave guard will already be outnumbering most units, wth the banner of the barrows, their hitting on 3's with killing blow.

-0Ne

fubukii
03-09-2005, 02:31
take a thral with dual hand wpns and the +1 killing blow and +1 str on charge ability he will rip up most units :) or if you want to be different go sword of battle and killing blow with a sheild for a better save.

Hrath Dreadaxe
03-09-2005, 10:45
the count should take the rerole misses in the first round of evry combat this and killing blow and the extra attack are great at killing evrything!!!

i would also think about taking staff of damnation.

DrkAp0stle
04-09-2005, 03:36
I would take the re-roll in first round but I really dont find it necessary, in most cases WS9 5atks killing blow Str.5 will be able to do it, plus if i wanted to take the reroll what would i drop, his red fury, killing blow, or his invulnerable save?

Hmm, I just read up on the staff of damnation and I like it, I guess I'll have to take out the wight lord and throw in another necromancer. I played a test game today vs. a friend of mine that plays a savage orc army, the wight lord really paid himself off in points, seeing as my count was stuck in a combat vs. a BIG unit of savage orcs and couldnt do anything, the wight lord challenged his savage orc warboss and killed him outright, 3 kiling blow attacks.

But, more power in the magic phase can be a very good thing.

I dunno what I should go with, the necromancer with staff of damnation or should i just keep the list the way it is with the wight lord with sword of kings?

-Ap0stle

DisturbeD_
08-09-2005, 17:56
i would go with the wight lord with the sword of kings, like you said a hitting hero is in order, plus if you feeling lucky charge his unit with the lord in and chalenge him, while he has the always hitting on 3's bouns if not wizards are great for killing if put in a unit :P

DrkAp0stle
08-09-2005, 18:31
Wait, he also gets the bonus for the banner of the barrows?! Frickin Sweet!

-Ap0stle