PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity movement off the table

Kadrium
24-09-2007, 20:05
I can't find this spelled out distinctly anywhere, and it came up last night. A unit of trolls charged a small unit of chaos warriors, and won the combat. The warriors fled and the trolls pursued and ran them down.

Unfortunately, this left the trolls well out ahead of the rest of the orc army and they proceeded to start failing stupidity rolls, and 3 turns later their 3 inch stupid movement moved them off the board.

I couldn't find it covered anywhere in the stupidity rules, but what happens to this unit? Does it re-enter the board in the way units pursuing off would, or does it simply wander off, never to be seen again, and give up it's victory points?

Since they didn't strictly pursue off the table, I can see that they could not be allowed to return. However they also did not flee off the table I could see them not giving up their victory points.

Any thoughts?

Jonke
24-09-2007, 20:10
In all situations except pursuing/overrun the table edge is treated as impassable. The trolls would stop.

See the box in the down right corner of p. 15 in the brb.

Peace!

Griefbringer
24-09-2007, 20:10
Going by the memory, they should have just stopped when they reached the table edge.

theunwantedbeing
24-09-2007, 20:12
The edge of the board is treated as impassable terrain for such instances,so the models may not move beyond it and are forced to go around it.

page 15 of the rulebook

Kadrium
24-09-2007, 20:32
Thanks very much.

He Who Is Him
24-09-2007, 22:53
So in that case, would they turn left or right to try and get around the impassable terrain and keep wandering, or simply stop and stand there picking their noses?

T10
24-09-2007, 23:19
The stupidity rules dictate that they move straight forward. This simply means they stop once they can't move further.

A different question is: Will a stupid unit enter a building if it moves into contact with it? I would think it will.

-T10

AdamAtCollege
25-09-2007, 09:04
Would it be smart enough to figure out a way in?

warlord hack'a
25-09-2007, 12:52
for trolls a way in is not needed, they can make one ;-). Ans also do not forget to mention fleeing as possible means to leave the table.

Fredmans
25-09-2007, 12:53
or find their way out?

Doc Havoc
26-09-2007, 19:39
Other than being killed, ;) the only ways to leave the table are by flee or pursuit moves. All other moves treat the table edge as impassible terrain and the models must stop when they would normally be moved off of the table.

Remember, an overrun is a form of pursuit move and will take you off of the table as well.

Also when it comes to buildings, stupidity has nothing to do with being able to move into or out of terrain or buildings. As such a unit moving from stupidity could enter a building. All of the normal restrictions would apply: Cav cannot enter buildings, large creatures cannot enter buildings. Characters on mounts, chariots may not ener buildings, etc.

T10
26-09-2007, 21:27
But you don't always have to enter buildings you move into contact with.

-T10

Doc Havoc
27-09-2007, 05:55
The stupidity rules dictate that they move straight forward. This simply means they stop once they can't move further.

A different question is: Will a stupid unit enter a building if it moves into contact with it? I would think it will.

-T10

But you don't always have to enter buildings you move into contact with.

-T10

:wtf:? Step away from the pipe...

warlord hack'a
27-09-2007, 14:11
the question is: if a unit that suffers from stupidity moves into contact with a building, does it enter it automatically or not, provided that it is allowed to enter the building under the normal rules? Because technically a building is not impassable terrain so there is no rule saying that the stupid unit has to stop..

Atrahasis
27-09-2007, 14:30
Dice for it - a stupid unit shouldn't have any choice, and the best way to represent lack of choice is a 50/50 dice roll.

Doc Havoc
27-09-2007, 17:17
Dice for it - a stupid unit shouldn't have any choice, and the best way to represent lack of choice is a 50/50 dice roll.

If it doesn't have any choice and it doesn't count as impassible terrain then why would there be a 50/50 chance? Per the rules, you MUST move unless you hit impassible terrain. Must does not equal 50/50.

"Oh, well stupidity took me into contact with a forest... 50/50 roll to see if I enter it." :wtf: It's the same thing you are suggesting.

If a unit affected by stupidity can legally enter a building and they move into contact with the building because of thier compulsory movement then they must enter the building. Same thing applies to units already in a building. If they fail their stupidity check while in a building then they must leave the building.

Atrahasis
28-09-2007, 18:28
Well that all depends - if they would be stopping short of their compulsory movement then obviously they would have to enter the building.

The question was whether they would enter if they moved into contact with it, which I took to mean 'The unit is X" away and their movement is X" (or so close to it tha it is indistinguishable)'.

Doc Havoc
28-09-2007, 19:52
:confused:Again, that makes no sense, whatsoever. (Not to mention that it is not supported by the rules in any way, shape or form:eyebrows:). If you are able to contact the building then you are able to move into it. In the case of compulsory moves if you contact the building and are legally allowed to enter buildings then you enter the building. You either touch the building or you don't. There is no gray area here.

Again, you cannot say "Well only the front rank reaches the forest so I'm not really in the forest." The same applies to buildings.

If you move into contact with the building in your compusory moves then you must enter the building as long as you are legally allowed to do so. (Again, mounted units, larger than man-sized etc. cannot enter buildings at all.)

Atrahasis
28-09-2007, 23:48
You're assuming that a unit that moves into contact with a building must do so.

A unit moving into a forest follows the rules for being in a forest, but moving into a forest is not a boolean enterprise, a unit is "in" a forest if it moves far enough that at least one model is within it's boundaries. The same is not true of buildings.

Stupidity removes choice, but only in so far as the distance and direction moved are concerned - if that restricted distance coincides exactly (or so closely as to be indistinguishable) with the distance required to contact a building, then we are left with a disjunct - a unit in that position normally has a choice; to occupy the building or not. Neither is favoured by the rules for stupidity, and to claim that one or the other is displays both a distinct misunderstanding of, and over-familiarity with, that particular condition (no offense, just can't help making the joke).

Doc Havoc
29-09-2007, 02:16
Well that all depends - if they would be stopping short of their compulsory movement then obviously they would have to enter the building.

The question was whether they would enter if they moved into contact with it, which I took to mean 'The unit is X" away and their movement is X" (or so close to it tha it is indistinguishable)'.
No, that is a completely different question that no one asked. But to humor you I will answer. Move the models. When they are done moving if the unit is in contact with the building then they must enter the building. If they are not in contact with the building then they do not move into it.

Here is the question:

the question is: if a unit that suffers from stupidity moves into contact with a building, does it enter it automatically or not, provided that it is allowed to enter the building under the normal rules? Because technically a building is not impassable terrain so there is no rule saying that the stupid unit has to stop..

***Removed by Warseer Inquisition********

Atrahasis
29-09-2007, 03:59
Doc, please point me to the rule which says a unit moving into contact with a building always without exception occupies it.

As much as you might want them to be the same, woods and buildings are different. A unit that moves into contact with a building does not automatically enter it.

Saying I'm talking rubbish doesn't make it so, please back up your argument with rules.

T10
29-09-2007, 14:56
A compromise then: Roll a d6. 1-3 the unit enters the building, 4-6 the unit stops when it comes iinto contact with the building.

-T10