PDA

View Full Version : Dark Apostle. Any good?

7thOffensive
25-09-2007, 18:57
I saw it in the book store over the weekend, but I'd never heard of the writer and went for the new Malus book instead.

Any news?:angel:

reds8n
25-09-2007, 20:31
yeah, it's good. Fleshes out the WB a bit, has some great action scenes and battles, and has a lot of intriguing little nuggets and general coolness. Well worth a buy in my opinion.

Earthbeard
25-09-2007, 21:25
I thought it was a very enjoyable read.

Only minor grumble was the ending really, felt far too rushed. But all in all I recommend.

Progena
25-09-2007, 22:34
I'm just halfway through it. Schoolwork's been getting in the way of my BL reading... bloody useless education. Great book so far.

And if you haven't read the book yet, don't read on.

The book contains some of my favorite WH40k stuff like...

Word Bearers, the Mechanicus and at least a dash of Arbites

Got a few things to put the finger on (you'd think Anthony Reynolds could spell Roboute Guilliman, but that's not my point)...

...it's the über Colonel who takes down half a dozen of veteran Chaos Space Marines in close combat, then turns a Defiler into slag with a Meltagun and finally almoast blasts a Dreadnought with the meltabomb he's been carrying in his belt all along!

That was a "WTF!"-moment...

7thOffensive
28-09-2007, 12:28
thanks guys. i'll give it a look after i finish lord of ruin.

Raven1
28-09-2007, 22:52
I read the sample from the black library website, and I was not too particualarly impressed with his writing style in addition I know the guard carry flashlight guns, but do you think that honestly something would have hurt the Word Bearers. The sample basically had the WB as these invincible warriors while the guard basically were torn to shreds when they were looked at.

Lexington
28-09-2007, 23:08
It's a surprisingly good read, really. The Word Bearers get some very heavy background work, and finally are shown as more than generic baddies with a Catholic fetish, and it manages to deviate from the expected ends of the setup without trying to be overly-clever. Unfortunately, it's hampered by some very annoying, boring main characters.

Really, I want a book about Kol Badar and the Warmonger.

DonKarst0n
01-12-2008, 11:28
Well I am at page 200 now and have to say that this book could be alot better.
It gives us decent insight on the Word Bearer legion but then again I think the battles are written badly. They are well...
To cut it short it is like: "CSM ftw! We will fething pwn everyone in our way with our uber skillz cuz' we're so imba."

Sounds strange but that is how I feel about the battles.
Lasfire is simply ineffective and kills nothing. I mean you may ask yourself why no one in the 10000 years of Imperial warfare has ever asked himself if it wouldn't be the right time to invent a weapon which is effective against power armour (and which doesn't blow you up)?
Then all imperials march forward in 18th century formation, close packed in order to grant every CSM maximum kills and generally act like ******.
And the most hillarious scene where I really closed the book:

It (melta-bomb) clanked loudly as it stuck fast (onto the chaos dreadnought), the powerful electro-magnets stuck fast to the metal.
Rolling to see the results of his handiwork, his (imperial soldier) heart sank as the Dreadnought picked the grenade off its armoured bulk and flicked it away with its power claw.

Yeah let it sink in.
Petty Dreadnought picks away melta bomb which is stuck by supercool magnets to its metal torso. And flicks it away, with his metallic claws!, cause it is not amused by this bomb and it has a tea party to address to.

???

Anyone know the DoW intro? When a damn bomb is stuck to a dreadnought's torso by magnets he can't 'pick it' away but is screwed. the most it would help is that the bomb would then stuck to your power claw.

precinctomega
01-12-2008, 13:59
All the best characters seem to die...

R.

Iracundus
01-12-2008, 14:16
There is an even more implausible scenario than the IG uber colonel (we've all had the odd ingame model that performed way beyond expectations), which involves an Emperor class Titan.

There is a nice nod to the old Epic Ordinatus, but it in the end functions like most Imperial war machines in the book: as a foil to show how unstoppable the Word Bearers (and their warp magick) are. Though there are the occasional setbacks I rarely got the feeling the Word Bearers were under much pressure from the IG.

How the Word Bearers escaped from their final destination after the climactic showdown involving their main character(s) is also never explained in detail, even though at that point they were heavily encircled by the enemy.

The Judge
01-12-2008, 15:18
Halfway through reading it myself. Lots of pro-Word Bearer stuff, but I'd expect it. The protagonists are always unbeatable.

Nice to see the AdMech appear though, with lots of detail.

Radium
01-12-2008, 15:28
It's a very nice book, but there are a few "uhhh... wtf just happened?" parts in there. Still well worth the buy though, especially if you like your chaos.

reds8n
01-12-2008, 15:42
Well I am at page 200 now and have to say that this book could be alot better.
It gives us decent insight on the Word Bearer legion but then again I think the battles are written badly. They are well...
To cut it short it is like: "CSM ftw! We will fething pwn everyone in our way with our uber skillz cuz' we're so imba."

Sounds strange but that is how I feel about the battles.
Lasfire is simply ineffective and kills nothing. I mean you may ask yourself why no one in the 10000 years of Imperial warfare has ever asked himself if it wouldn't be the right time to invent a weapon which is effective against power armour (and which doesn't blow you up)?

That's actually quite accurate then isn't it ? :D

And there's lots of things the Imperium should invent, it's much more a question of tehm being unable to innovate generally.

Didn't think teh Dreadnought things was particulary unbelievable, I'd imagine a dreadnought is much stronger than a magnet.

Seved
01-12-2008, 20:26
I finished reading Dark Disciple a week ago and if anyone here like the Dark Eldars, then they should read it. :chrome:

hellharlequin
01-12-2008, 22:02
All the best characters seem to die...

R.
not true the warmonger , a barely sane cybot
survives

...than generic baddies with a Catholic fetish...
they seem more orthodox to me

Killgore
02-12-2008, 10:38
An interesting thing about the book is it decribes what happens to Imperial citizens when they come under the influence of the effects of chaos

precinctomega
02-12-2008, 11:23
I more detail, I'd say that the first half of the book - perhaps even the first two-thirds - make it very much worth the money to those of us who simply enjoy wallowing in the imagery and insanity of the 40kverse. However, the denouement is undeniably a little weak; although I don't think it was actually as weak or unpredictable as many people have complained.

If you're a veteran who enjoys spotting all the little nods to old material and immersing yourself in the imagery, without worrying too much about the story, then you'll enjoy it regardless. If you're new to the 40kverse, then it might be better to leave this one until you've taken on a bit more of the background, in order to appreciate it better.

R.

Toramino
02-12-2008, 21:42
So how are the word bearers portrayed in this? Typical mustache twirling villians who rely on warp magic to do every single thing for them?

I was surprised at how theyve been portrayed in the HH series so far and would be interested if they were in the same vein in this book, but if theyre the typical ''evil sorcerors'' i think ill pass.

Gdolkin
02-12-2008, 22:19
So how are the word bearers portrayed in this? Typical mustache twirling villians who rely on warp magic to do every single thing for them?

I was surprised at how theyve been portrayed in the HH series so far and would be interested if they were in the same vein in this book, but if theyre the typical ''evil sorcerors'' i think ill pass.
Wait, what? There's something more than moustache-twirling cartoon villainy in the HH's portrayal of the Word Bearers? If anything, Dark Apostle gives much better characterisation and depth to the Word Bearers than the HH novels, BftA in particular, in my view. I guess I'm always looking for reasons why and how Chaos corrupts a man or Astartes to "EEEEVILLLL!", but it seems it just does. One lick of that Chaos lolly and you're twirling those 'taches, plotting against your superiors, and all credible characterisation and motivation are consumed by Chaos, mwahaha..

Fire Harte
02-12-2008, 22:25
They are very well described in the book I would say.

@ DonKarst0n- I agree here, but the dread could have had a different build of arm than we are used to. But we were not to know so good point.

Apart from the odd bits, I enjoyed it thorougly. I read it for fun not to pessimisize it. (Dunno if that is a word but I am tired so it counts).

RedStompa
02-12-2008, 22:30
I too enjoyed it, although I couldn't help but feel like the author lost track of how many people on each side there were. It seemed like their were hundreds of thousands of IG drop troops (rather then just 1 regiment), on the way they were constantly gunned down in droves... and also the composition of the CSM force, it said that there were 2k marines, and then it failed to mention the BILLIONS OF TANKS AND DAEMON ENGINES THEY BROUGHT WITH THEM TOO.

Toramino
02-12-2008, 22:31
Wait, what? There's something more than moustache-twirling cartoon villainy in the HH's portrayal of the Word Bearers? If anything, Dark Apostle gives much better characterisation and depth to the Word Bearers than the HH novels, BftA in particular, in my view. I guess I'm always looking for reasons why and how Chaos corrupts a man or Astartes to "EEEEVILLLL!", but it seems it just does. One lick of that Chaos lolly and you're twirling those 'taches, plotting against your superiors, and all credible characterisation and motivation are consumed by Chaos, mwahaha..

Oh yeah make no mistake the WB are still cheesy in the HH series, its just that its less so than I thought it would be, although you're right about BFtA, I guess ill check this out.

The only time I think ive ever seen CSM done right is in Storm of Iron, but even that was ruined in dead sky black sun, which was an absolute farce.

WrYpoRrY
03-12-2008, 03:25
One of the first 4ok books I read (I'm still new to being a 40k addict).
I thought it was good the first time, but then I read Ultramarines. And Eisenhorn. So I realised that it's really nothing special. Like other people have said, it fleshes out the WB a lot but the fights are not thought out well. Like the above mentioned melta-bomb guy. There's like, suddenly one character with THICK plot armour will easily kill a WB with ONE SHOT FROM A LASGUN, while hundreds of his buddies have just been effortlessly slaughtered by the same guy. And the end is a bit poor.

Sheena Easton
05-12-2008, 15:24
I thought it was absolutely terrible and one of the worst books I've ever had the misfortune of reading - I'd rank it worse than Eldar Prophesy by the much maligned CS Goto its than bad.

I'd stick my copy on ebay but I suspect I'd have to pay people to take it off my hands.

Ubermensch Commander
05-12-2008, 16:42
I was unimpressed by it. There are several instance of Chaos Space Marine Fanboism where the Imperial force act UBELIEVABLY stupid, especially bits involving Titans and Mechanicus equipment that should be able to shoot over miles and hordes of lovely clumped Chaos Marines and their equipment milling about in front of them....and yet the Machine God walks forward....into a Canyon that is scraping its sides.....*sigh*

I agree with Don Karstons assessment. "CSM FTW! We will fething pwn everyone in our way with our uber skillz cuz' we're so imba." I could not finish the book because it tried to make the Legion of religious losers look "HARDCOREZ!"

ChrisMurray
06-12-2008, 10:07
I liked the book. I think it's one of the best books i've read with the guard in and chaos. I liked the fact that the word bearers were on the brink of losing at the end and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the 2nd book.