PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt Pilot Uses..

Corrupt
25-09-2007, 21:43
Pictures of the forgeworld masterpiece a friend bought for me at games day are here for those who haven't yet seen it
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/tboltpilot.htm

Anyways I decided this model was too nice to fit on a shelf, he HAS to fit into my guard army somewhere. Judging by his gear I've come up with some idea's and would like a little input as to what use he could be put.

Ideas so far include
Techpriest
Allied "Inquisitor" (Ie 20pt model with bolt pistol and maybe another 10pts gear)
Veteran Squad member
Objective (not really army composition though)
Officer/Sergeant in "themed" platoon/squad (all converted to be ground crew/pilots forced onto front line using elysians as base)

Lord_Squinty
25-09-2007, 21:46
Dont thunderbolts etc get the option for an ejector seat?
IIRC - if the fighter is downed the pilot comes into play on foot

Corrupt
25-09-2007, 21:47
Dont thunderbolts etc get the option for an ejector seat?
IIRC - if the fighter is downed the pilot comes into play on foot

That will be exactly what I use him for when i can afford the damned plane:P

Leunam
25-09-2007, 21:49
I thought the pilots were too big compared to normal guardsmen?

RavenMorpheus
25-09-2007, 21:50
So your mate bought you the pilot but you don't have a Tbolt? That's like buying someone the keys to a Ferrari but not the actual car :wtf:

I think from your suggestions the Officer/Sergeant of an Elysian squad would be a good use for him in the meantime. :)

Corrupt
25-09-2007, 21:55
So your mate bought you the pilot but you don't have a Tbolt? That's like buying someone the keys to a Ferrari but not the actual car :wtf:

Haha but the pilot doesn't cost every penny he owns+60

RavenMorpheus
25-09-2007, 21:57

Good point.

Model him on a base with some sort of Grav Chute, he looks a bit peed off anyway, as though his plane just got shot down. Or is that supposed to be the "I'm a hard as nails navy pilot" look?

Corrupt
25-09-2007, 22:05
Good point.

Model him on a base with some sort of Grav Chute, he looks a bit peed off anyway, as though his plane just got shot down. Or is that supposed to be the "I'm a hard as nails navy pilot" look?

I do have a spare elysian grav chute...
Anyways at the moment I'm leaning towards the "Inquisitor"

Downed Pilot-Bolt Pistol, CCW-22pts

Maybe with "Word of the Emperor" representing his being very narked off at being shot down and scary when he's mad :P

Chaos and Evil
25-09-2007, 23:19
I thought the pilots were too big compared to normal guardsmen?

Nope, he's smaller, if anything, because he's a truescale model, rather than heroic scale.

Lord Cook
26-09-2007, 00:01
I'd put him in a command squad as a basic guardsman or veteran. The guard army he's accompanying could be receiving a lot of air support from the Imperial Navy, so the Navy assigned a liaison officer to 'better facilitate cooperation'.

RexTalon
26-09-2007, 00:21
I'll put him in my command squad as an advisor from the Navy (Aka vet sgt). He'll most likely be given a plasma pistol (who's to say what kind of pistol that really is?) and a close combat weapon (as in beating people over the head with that box).
I also have the titan techpriest and Inquisitor Lok, so my HQ squad will be all pimptified!

When I play Apockylips I'll throw down my two thunderbolts and field him as a downed pilot if it comes to it. :P

Raven1
26-09-2007, 00:24
I would use him as an objective.

silveryfox
26-09-2007, 00:28
You could always sell him to me :)

I would use it as an objective for my Elysian army. "
We need to get that pilot so he can fly us home, kind of :)"

Serpent
26-09-2007, 04:31
That would be a relly kick-ass Objective Marker...

Guilliman
26-09-2007, 16:43
You don't use it. You put it in a box with my adress on it and put it in a mail box...

But seriously. Put him in a veteran squad representing the kick-ass ace pilot he is who just joined the squad after he's plane was shot down.

Grazzy
26-09-2007, 17:44
I'd put him in a command squads as a basic guardsman, like Lord Cook says. He can be an imperial navy ''official liason'' between navy and infantry.

Gen.Steiner
26-09-2007, 17:51
I'm using him in a 400pt Rearguard Combat Patrol Army - in a Conscript Platoon.

The idea is it's a ragtag collection of People With Guns commanded by a junior Commissar and supported by a Hydra (:eek:) and some Veterans, trying to make their way back to friendly lines and do as much damage on the way as possible. :D He fits in nicely as a downed pilot tagging along with the groundpounders for safety...

Triggerdog
26-09-2007, 17:51
I'd put him in a Deep Striking Storm Trooper squad. He would be there to "learn them the ropes" of jumping out of a plane and into a fire fight. Hell in that case he would do even better as a Commissar because he would saying stuff like "B*tch jump out the plane! Jump, Gypsy, jump!" Give him a plasma pistol to be cool and the box could be either a CCW or a power-box (hey, they have power maces so why not a metal box?)

VanHel
26-09-2007, 18:22
Oh how I wants several of those...I guess I'll try and figure a way to convert it.

SonofUltramar
26-09-2007, 19:28
I'd put him in a command squad as a basic guardsman or veteran. The guard army he's accompanying could be receiving a lot of air support from the Imperial Navy, so the Navy assigned a liaison officer to 'better facilitate cooperation'.

Thats pretty much what i'm going to do, make him a Veteran and buy him a Bolt Pistol. I could use him as a downed pilot but my Thunderbolt will never get shot down:D

myrmedon
26-09-2007, 20:28
use him for a Diarama with a T-Blot as one of the Phanixe XX Umbra flight.

dave38x
26-09-2007, 20:38
So your mate bought you the pilot but you don't have a Tbolt?

normaly raven, i would agree with you. however, it is closer to buying your mate a really cool model that now goes for 2-3 times its rrp on ebay and getting one yourself. i happen to be that mate. forgeworld is damn expensive. it took me half a minute to wrack up a 120 bill on dads credit card. parents for the win!. it is a seriously nice model. my use for him is going to be a f/w exlcusive diorama of the senior officers of the battleship Dragan on the bridge. the ork is also pretty good.

Gen.Steiner
27-09-2007, 13:42

Point of Order:

Forward Air Control officers wear battledress, not flight uniform (replete with life jacket/survival vest in Hi-Vis colours, flight helmets, map-pocket and fur-lined boots!). The pilot is far too obviously a pilot to be a FAC or liaison officer, I'm afraid! :(

Deamon-forge
27-09-2007, 17:15
Iv used my two for my Vulture gun ship...

Steel_Legion
27-09-2007, 17:26
is it JUST games days you can get him at?

Lord Cook
27-09-2007, 18:03
The pilot is far too obviously a pilot to be a FAC or liaison officer, I'm afraid! :(

My dear Gen.Steiner, please take your logical and intelligent observations elsewhere. This is the Imperial Guard! We're not paid to think, we're paid to purge the alien scum from the Emperor's blessed domains! Come to think of it, I'm not sure if we're paid at all... hmm... must speak to the Union about that.

dave38x
27-09-2007, 18:38
I agree lord cook. your (i dont play guard) job is to throw your conscripted unpaid bodies at my wall of gribbly pointy hungry death (i play tyranids), vaporize them under a hail of pulse fire (tau too) and then if they survive all of that, become chaos spawn (yep, CSM too). normally the guard win. grrr. corrupt, you will PAY i tell you :p

@steel legion, you can get him from any forgeworld events. or, alternatively, if you have his original price times the number of weeks since gamesday squared amount of cash lying around then you can get him off ebay.

i would recommend waiting till their next event, unless you buy a new warhound company each week :p

RexTalon
27-09-2007, 19:37
Point of Order:

Forward Air Control officers wear battledress, not flight uniform (replete with life jacket/survival vest in Hi-Vis colours, flight helmets, map-pocket and fur-lined boots!). The pilot is far too obviously a pilot to be a FAC or liaison officer, I'm afraid! :(

Space command operators wear flight suits and they don't fly at any time. In fact, Aerospace medicine wear flight suits too, and they don't fly either! There are plenty of Liaison positions for which you could use him.

Corrupt
27-09-2007, 20:29
I agree lord cook. your (i dont play guard) job is to throw your conscripted unpaid bodies at my wall of gribbly pointy hungry death (i play tyranids), vaporize them under a hail of pulse fire (tau too) and then if they survive all of that, become chaos spawn (yep, CSM too). normally the guard win. grrr. corrupt, you will PAY i tell you :p

He's just mad I tend to have more troopers on the board that he can actually kill in a game even if every shot hits and wounds:P
Guess what
The new 14th Eklarian (read DKoK with new name and less trenchy) are 15pts cheaper per squad than their Carentian counterparts!
I need more cash to fund this army...

Gen.Steiner
27-09-2007, 21:00
Space command operators wear flight suits and they don't fly at any time. In fact, Aerospace medicine wear flight suits too, and they don't fly either! There are plenty of Liaison positions for which you could use him.

Ah, but wearing a flight suit is different to wearing one as well as the two seperate flight helmets, the life-jacket/survival vest, and the hoses and masks that connect you to your aircraft plus the furry boots. Face it - this guy is a Navy pilot, not a liaison officer.

I'm not sure if we're paid at all... hmm... must speak to the Union about that.

We have a union? HERESY!!!1!

ash_wednesday
27-09-2007, 21:10

and he would be fun to paint.

llama rider
29-09-2007, 03:02
that is indeed a sweet model. I would use him as a veteran

Gen.Steiner
29-09-2007, 17:07
Does he have to have a use? Can't you just paint him really nicely and keep him as a nicely painted display model?

Some guy (UK)
29-09-2007, 19:10
Does he have to have a use? Can't you just paint him really nicely and keep him as a nicely painted display model?

Very well said. The same can be applied for a lot of models made by FW and GW. There to please the painter and converter first, and if the gamers can find a use, then there you go.

boogle
29-09-2007, 19:33
Diorama usage is what i would suggest