PDA

View Full Version : Of mice and Men.

de Selby
01-09-2005, 14:11
Another cool science link stolen from slashdot.

Surely no Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan can fail to be intrigued by this news story on the regenerating mice of doom! (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16417002%255E30417,00.html)

Joking apart, this is a major step forward if the same techniques can be applied to injured humans.

Yin - Yang
01-09-2005, 14:27
I must admit, that's quite impressive, but all my respect for the Professor who discovered this went out the window when I read that it was first observed in "experimental" mice. I am 100% against vivisection, and frankly while this is an interesting discovery, the fact that it was discovered through the abhorrent practice of vivisection repulses me.

Yin - Yang

grey_painter
01-09-2005, 14:49
So how long till they start grafting metal skeletons onto the mice? Or for that matter how long till they can start doing that to me?

Tomasaurus
01-09-2005, 14:49
one step closer to bioengineering a troll.

Sgt John Keel
01-09-2005, 19:58
This is amazing. How much longer can it be until we can bioengineer a human with four arms?

/Adrian

Wolf Scout Ewan
01-09-2005, 20:17
Its pretty cool to think we are this close to being able to grow replacement organs for ill/dying people.

But... in addition to that... cybernetic, bioware! Internal communication chips! Surf the net at work without anyone being to find out? Yay!

Got poor eyesight? Dont worry sir, one shot gene therapy or regrown organs? The choices:D

:evilgrin:

I cant wait! Shame that a few mice got killed in the process. But if this kind of research leads to a cure for cancer and/or aids then even though I find it distressing.

My cat used to eat mice does that make him evil? I used to feed a pet snake mice and rat babies... does that make the snake evil or me for feeding them to the snake? Mmmmm ethics ethics.

Nurgling Chieftain
01-09-2005, 20:35
I must admit, that's quite impressive, but all my respect for the Professor who discovered this went out the window when I read that it was first observed in "experimental" mice.What kind of mice were you expecting it to be discovered in, silly?

I am 100% against vivisection, and frankly while this is an interesting discovery, the fact that it was discovered through the abhorrent practice of vivisection repulses me.Surgery on live animals repulses you? That's pathetic. Get a real cause and stop trying to put us back into the dark ages.

anarchistica
01-09-2005, 20:58
I must admit, that's quite impressive, but all my respect for the Professor who discovered this went out the window when I read that it was first observed in "experimental" mice. I am 100% against vivisection, and frankly while this is an interesting discovery, the fact that it was discovered through the abhorrent practice of vivisection repulses me.
One of my colleagues does some medical study and from what i've gathered he and most students who want to become a doctor (or just chirurgeon) practice on hamsters first (i like to call him Rik the Hamster Slayer). He estimates he's killed about 200 hamsters just to learn certain techniques...

On topic: That's freaking amazing. In the future you can just snap off your hand to escape from handcuffs and stuff. ;)

Wiseman
01-09-2005, 23:59
that is very impressive indead

Freak Ona Leash
02-09-2005, 00:22
So, can I regrow my eyes? Mine right now suck. 20/75 vision is not fun :(