PDA

View Full Version : I need help. I can't decide...

Quentin
26-09-2007, 00:56
I hate this. I've finally got back into 40K after years of being too busy with high school and various other tumultuous events in my mid-teens, and now I can't decide which damned army I want to start collecting.

When I stepped back into my local GW store, I went in with the intention of buying Space Wolves. They were the army I had started collecting before. But then I suddenly thought to myself, "Everyone plays Marines. I'm going to do something different!" So I walked out happily with an IG Cadian Battle Force.

Immediately after building my battleforce and looking at the codex, I was absolutely spoilt for choice as to what to do with my Cadian's, gameplay and fluff wise. I just couldn't decide what direction to take with the Guard. Mechanised, Grenadiers, Armored Company, Drop Troops, Inquisition allies, Chaos Renegades, Mordians, Praetorians... Too many choices.

So one day, when in the shop, I noticed some Necrons. "Hey!", I thought. "Necrons are simple! Hardly any choices at all! I'll buy some and battle with them until I decide what to do with the Guard."

I loved all the other Necrons models. But not the Monolith. Ugh... Ugliest thing ever. But I absolutely loved the look of Destroyers. I wanted to create a Destroyer-centric army.

I also bought a White Dwarf with the Necrons. It was the issue with the preview of the new Chaos models. I was very impressed. I showed it to my brother and it inspired him to plan a future Nightlord's army.

Then I bought Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and fell in love with Tau Stealth Suits, and I created a list based around a Tau Stealth Cadre. You can do a search if you're interested, I posted it on here.

Basically, now I am really stuck about which army to collect as well as how to collect them. My two best friends are steaming along with thier own armies (Tau and Eldar), and I'm just so damned undecided. I really need help deciding which army to collect, and how to stick with it. I just want to build up a 1500 point force and battle with it for a while before I start spending like crazy on other projects.

I really don't want to end up so frustrated I quit the hobby again.

I assume there are probably a few Warseer's who have been in similiar predicaments.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Torga_DW
26-09-2007, 00:59
my advice would be to get a high paying job and start ALL your listed armies at once. =) Does that help?

Quentin
26-09-2007, 01:08
my advice would be to get a high paying job and start ALL your listed armies at once. =) Does that help?

Sadly, it doesn't. I'm a Uni student with only a part time job. I need to concentrate on one list for now.

Torga_DW
26-09-2007, 01:11
Well, on a more serious note, heres my advice:

Don't do tau as one of your mates is doing them already.

Then decide whether you want GEQ or MEQ. (guard or marines).

Since your other friend is going eldar, might i suggest necrons? Plus they're high points per model, so theoretically easier on your wallet.

Hope that helps (for real this time) =)

Tyron
26-09-2007, 01:22
Find a player, proxy the models to play all the above lists, play a few games with each list.

Decide which list you want to do then buy the models from ebay ect

Paint a unite at a time before buying the rest or you will just end up with an unpainted army.

Quentin
26-09-2007, 01:23
Thanks Torga! I suppose it would be boring of me to collect a Tau army whilst my mate is doing so. K, I think Tau are on the back-burner for now.

Necrons do look cheaper in the long run, and I like the models. Especially Destroyers. But damnit, they have next to no fluffy goodness like the Guard or Chaos...

Hand of Dume
26-09-2007, 02:03
don't do chaos. right now with the new codex everybody and their brother will have a chaos army. go necrons. they have a new lord coming out with the apocolypse stuff soon and a new codex can't be that far away. throw the other armies on ebay and finance the rest of your necron army.