PDA

View Full Version : White scars, which dex?

skott4991
26-09-2007, 01:21
Im planning on starting a white scars army and cannot decide which dex to use.

Please explain your choise as i am at a loss.

Torga_DW
26-09-2007, 01:24
Dang, extremely tough call. Neither really screams 'white scars' at me like the old IA rules did. I'd probably lean more towards ravenwing over vanilla whitescars traits.

Beast Rabban
26-09-2007, 01:28
Tricky pondering same for RW. Hmmm
No, can't decide.

dcikgyurt
26-09-2007, 01:29
Ravenwing, only because I hate the SM codex and feel that the BA and DA lists are more balanced. I've chosen Ravenwing because White Scars are mostly bikers and I feel it would fit better than BA.

Sovereign
26-09-2007, 01:33
Ravenwing

DA is a new-style Codex, so the rules are going to stay valid for a long while, and you can expect that any future Ravenwing list will be similar with Combat Squads and increased weapon costs, etc.

The old-style SM Codex is probably going to lose Traits, so you shouldn't really build around it.

The BA Codex isn't a bad idea, but it's not gone to print as a standalone, so it will probably change.

Good luck, though!

Master Bait
26-09-2007, 01:57
i personally think RW are too specific to DAs, and you'd find your army being re-juggled when SM redux rolls around. i think your idea of lots of bikes and then Tact squads in super-charged rhinos as per the BA codex is far more fitting for a WS army

Raven1
26-09-2007, 02:03
I would definetly go with the DA-codex
One the raven wing is based around a fast attack army, as is the White Scars
The DA codex is newer and will be affected less by rule changes
you could do a chapter master of the white scars based on the master of the ravenwing on a Jetbike

Why not the BA codex, as official as is its not written and printed in the true style of a codex...i just though about the WD.
There are no White Scars Death Company

The SM codex
We have all heard about a mysterious SM redux, and with the CSM veteran traits gone, I assume so will be the SM Traits.
I don't know enough about traits to know if they really can give the White Scars the rules they deserve.

Master Bait
26-09-2007, 02:25
deja vu....

have you written the exact same response in another thread about a WS army?...

Gen_eV
26-09-2007, 02:32
Definitely go with Ravenwing.

The current traited White Scars are useless, not properly representative of the Chapter, and Blood angels is just plain wrong, what with the Death Company and all.

The DA rules are nice and simple to switch into White Scars, plus you can still take plenty of mounted infantry in a RW list if you feel like it.

BDJV
26-09-2007, 05:13
I'll throw in with the Ravenwing crowd, it will be a much better representation of the White Scars than the crappy codex SM list.

skott4991
26-09-2007, 07:09
Thanks for everyones help so far.

Looking good for a ravenwing army.

Hulkster
26-09-2007, 07:14
I would say the SM codex

the RW rules are for the RW

the WS do not have an uber LS or a JB for starters

sorry but for me it can only be the SM codex

fwacho
26-09-2007, 09:12
Teh raven wing are handy ... don't forget tha tif you add a power weapon to your srg you'll have 4 attacks on the charge. you may just use the veterans in Rhinos for your elites choice. I also recommend a preditor as heavy support to take anti-tank heat off your bikes. the heavy bolters com e in handy too.

Jester Boy
26-09-2007, 10:13
I'm doing White Scars too. I was going to used traits but after a few chats with folks on here I'm leaning towards Ravenwing. I have been out of the game for about two years so thats all I can tell you until I get the 'dex and sort things out.

My guys will be all on bikes and speeders except for a squad of scouts that haven't earned there rite to ride. I'm going to project log it if I can be assed.

No tanks and no foot sloggers. Hard to play but heaps of fun.

Let me know how you go.

Sir_Turalyon
26-09-2007, 10:44
Hmm...
White Scars: Troop CC bikes with special rules + lots of Land speeders, no infrantry or mechanised infrantry supporting

Trait White Scars: Troop /Elite bikes + lots of Land speeders, supporting infrantry with true grit

Ravenwing: Troop bikes and Land speeders + lots of speeder squadrons + special association with Terminators

Blood angels: Fast attack bikes, troop assault squads, squads cost extra points for death co. you don't need.

Blood angels don't sound "white scars" at all. As for traits vs ravenwing, real choice is between having veteran bike squads and access to true grit tacticals and having lots of small troop scouting bike combat squads and extra speeders, and teleport homers for deathwing. I think veteran bikers fit white scars better then scouting in small groups. Voted traits.

leonmallett
26-09-2007, 10:47
Definitely go with Ravenwing.

The current traited White Scars are useless, not properly representative of the Chapter, and Blood angels is just plain wrong, what with the Death Company and all.

The DA rules are nice and simple to switch into White Scars, plus you can still take plenty of mounted infantry in a RW list if you feel like it.

You can choose not to use any of the available Death Company (it states clearly in the list).

Corporal Chaos
26-09-2007, 15:19
I think a DA list would fit them nicely, though the Trait system would better suit them.

Granitearm
26-09-2007, 15:37
I'm putting together a White Scars army for a tournament, and I'm using the SM Codex with Traits.

However, I don't particularly care for the White Scars drawbacks, as I feel it's just too restrictive. I want an all mounted force (Bikes or Transports), but it's too hard to get transports with that drawback. So for friendly games my White Scars are just going to have Be Swift as the Wind and a minor drawback of my choosing. I know this is technically "against the rules" but I don't think it should be a problem with my opponents.

And if it is, I'll introduce them to my "Storm Lords" army, a White Scars successor chapter with a very similar color schem but different traits. :evilgrin:

St.Germaine
26-09-2007, 18:56
A bike heavy list can be done with traits as has been stated already and that's the road that I went with my Storm Riders. For White Scars I like the idea of DA better than traits because the larger squad size for the RW harkens back to the IA version of WS. Granted, you can't do 10 man bike squads but you can get at least 7+1 (I think, I don't have my codex here at work).

inquisitor solarris
27-09-2007, 09:05
ravenwing because u can mix landspeeders with bikers and your leader is either riding a jetbike or a armour 14 landspeeder what's not to like?:)