PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse FOC question?

OracleBoyd
26-09-2007, 05:24
Okay,

So I know there are no FOC maximums for Apocalypse, but are there still minimums? Do I still have to field 2 troops choices, or is it possible to field an HQ or 2 and forty-leven HS choices (for example)?

Thanks!

Torga_DW
26-09-2007, 05:28
AFAIK you can have an army soley made up of chapter masters if you want, no minimums or maximums anywhere.

OracleBoyd
26-09-2007, 05:41
Well,

From the rumors, that's my take as well (but I haven't actually seen the codex yet). I'm hoping that someone who's actually seen the book can give me a definite answer.

Invader Nails
26-09-2007, 06:05
Well when I popped into a GW store the other day a friend of mine told me a bit about Apocalypse. He prefaced his spiel by saying "in Apocalypse you can take ANYTHING. Here, think of some perverse thing you'd want to do."

I started to say "47 Baneblades" and he interrupted by saying "you can take that."

So .... I'd so no mins or maxes of any kind.

Hellbore
26-09-2007, 06:24
other than that you need 3000pts to start. as most people will have 1500-2500 in an FOC thats where it comes out

shin'keiro
26-09-2007, 08:30
Okay,

So I know there are no FOC maximums for Apocalypse, but are there still minimums? Do I still have to field 2 troops choices, or is it possible to field an HQ or 2 and forty-leven HS choices (for example)?

Thanks!

This should be in the RULES section - this will answer your question...
http://warseer.com/forums/40k-rules/104734-apocalypse-foc.html

OracleBoyd
26-09-2007, 11:42
Thanks shin'keiro!

atlantis
26-09-2007, 12:13
i have the apoclipe book (thx to games day UK) and there is NO force orginisation chart. the units are still deployed normally, any non codex units are called LEGENDAIRY (eg: Baneblade, Titans, Aircraft)

IJW
26-09-2007, 12:14
the units are still deployed normally
You might want to re-read your book, Apocalypse deployment differs drastically from normal 40k...

Estavez
26-09-2007, 12:35
A big difference to deployment. Because of the scale of things its simple, and you get more control on reserves.

The only limits on your battle is a minimum of 3k per side, and whatever house rules you come up with that you think appropriate. You don't even have to have the same amount of points per side, as GW have another way of balancing that out.

Steel_Legion
26-09-2007, 12:44
Yeah, my first game we got kinda dripped up as we didnt really have a clue what was going on... as for no unit restrictions, would that mean Imperial Guard still have to take a doctrine for veterans? etc

atlantis
26-09-2007, 14:13
i ment when the army is deployed onto the battle field they are set up as normal. HQ then Troops, then elite then fast, then heavy and finaly legendairy/super heavy

Grazzy
26-09-2007, 16:48
Yeah, you could take just HQ's or just thousands of grots!! Deployment works by the player that says they can deploy their army in less time deploying first ( with units he doesn't have time to deploy going into reserve) and then the next person deploying in their allotted time.

atlantis
26-09-2007, 17:25
that souds nice

ChaosMaster
26-09-2007, 17:27
Do I still have to field 2 troops choices...?
Short answer, no.

stonehorse
26-09-2007, 17:34
I'm guessing any codex units with 0-1 are ignored in Apoc.

If so, that can be abused heavily... an army of Lictors will be so funny to use.

Edit:

Just read that the 0-1 is ignored.

atlantis
26-09-2007, 18:11
exept for unique units (Special Charaters, deathcompany)

Fellblade
29-09-2007, 06:35
i ment when the army is deployed onto the battle field they are set up as normal. HQ then Troops, then elite then fast, then heavy and finaly legendairy/super heavy

As far as i know, there's nothing 'normal' about deployment for Apocalypse. Players make a silent bid on how many minutes they think it will take them to set up and the lowest bid places their entire army first. Anything not set up in time instantly becomes reserves and likewise, anything can be left for reserves. Half the reserves arrive turn 2, the other half on turn 3. After the second player sets up, whoever bid lower for deployment gets first turn.

Mr_Rose
29-09-2007, 07:42
As far as i know, there's nothing 'normal' about deployment for Apocalypse. Players make a silent bid on how many minutes they think it will take them to set up and the lowest bid places their entire army first. Anything not set up in time instantly becomes reserves and likewise, anything can be left for reserves. Half the reserves arrive turn 2, the other half on turn 3. After the second player sets up, whoever bid lower for deployment gets first turn.
One thing that's not yet been made clear: Do the higher bidding team have to stick to the time they bid?
We know that both teams bid a time in minutes, then the low bid sets up in that time or not, but does the high bid then have to set up inside the time they bid as well, or do they just get as long as they want? Or do they get some third amount of time that is specified elsewhere?

Durath
29-09-2007, 08:16
I'm guessing any codex units with 0-1 are ignored in Apoc.

If so, that can be abused heavily... an army of Lictors will be so funny to use.

Edit:

Just read that the 0-1 is ignored.

I just received my copy of WD333, which contains 55 pages of preview, designers notes, explanations of what this expansion is, and a rather detailed battle report of 24 pages.

One thing that is emphasized... this expansion is all about having fun with the battle. It is not about competitive tourney-based gameplay.

If you brought an army of lictors, you wouldn't be "abusing" anything. You would simply be bring a massive brood of lictors that your enemy has decided to wipe out.

(incidentally, the super-heavies and flyers would have a party completely wiping out the lictors)

There is no "abuse" in Apoc. If you can think of it, you can bring it... and its all perfectly legal.

Fellblade
29-09-2007, 16:30
One thing that's not yet been made clear: Do the higher bidding team have to stick to the time they bid?
As far as I recall, yes. They get their 5 minute discussion period then they must deploy their army within their time bid. Anything not deployed lands in the reserve pool as normal. This is where the Strategic Asset of "Jammers" is really nasty. It removes the 5 minute chit-chat period and the other team isn't allow to communicate in any way during deployment.

Mr_Rose
29-09-2007, 18:43
I can now confirm this having properly read the deployment rules in the Apoc book:
You do indeed have only the time you bid (plus 5min discussion) to set up regardless of whether you "won" the bidding or not. Additionally, any unit partially set up at the time the clock runs out must be placed in strategic reserve, as well as any unit found to be illegally deployed (accidentally or otherwise) is removed and placed in reserve. Also, all scout movement must be done during the allotted deployment time, after that player has set up everything they are going to. If they run out of time, it doesn't happen. Plus, the low bidding team does not get to use infiltration AT ALL.

30-09-2007, 03:43
I still want ot do an all assassin army :)

Belisarius
30-09-2007, 03:47
win bid get no infiltrate....I gotta say the level of strategic choices made available in this game format will make it really unique and fun.

Fellblade
30-09-2007, 06:19
I don't remember, but doesn't infiltrate in Apoc only permit you to deploy in the no-mans land or its it standard infiltrate? Either way, given the volume of troops you can deploy on the table the infiltrate ought to be fairly insignificant. On a side note, If I recall the Ogryn Aux datafax gives that formation the infiltrate ability.
The bid winner not being able to use the special abilities isn't too major of a penalty for them anyway since having a low bid guarantees going first.