PDA

View Full Version : Turn maneuver with extremely uneven ranks.

Kadrium
26-09-2007, 21:31
A question posed from elsewhere that I can't come up with a decent answer for.

Consider:

A unit of archers starts the turn like this: (the red lines are in a constant location for reference)
http://i20.tinypic.com/zl6usn.png
The unit moves (M4) up 1 inch, then turns to the right, which the player declares would result in:
http://i20.tinypic.com/f2tset.jpg
The archers then change formation and bring the unit up to a 6x3 formation, thusly:
http://i21.tinypic.com/11scfic.jpg

Legal or no?

The rule cited was that "The rules for a turn say that incomplete ranks move to the rear when turned."

Under that rule, a unit shaped like:

and executing a left turn would end up in a single file. This seems odd to me.

Thoughts?

WLBjork
26-09-2007, 23:52
Ok, it looks like the initial turn was done correctly (page 13).

However, the change formation was carried out incorrectly. As a turn had been made, a quarter move had been sacrificed. Thus, only a further 5 models could be moved due to a "change formation" manouvre (requiring the sacrifice of a half move) - see page 14.

Jonke
26-09-2007, 23:57
The rule cited was that "The rules for a turn say that incomplete ranks move to the rear when turned."

Under that rule, a unit shaped like:

and executing a left turn would end up in a single file. This seems odd to me.

This is indeed true and the big problem with the turn rules. When turning with an incomplete rank the models making up the incomplete rank are moved to the rear of the units new formation. The move you described is perfectly legal.

edit: Using half the movement a unit may or deduct up to five files, thus you may change formation from single file to six files as in the example. When doing this you simply take five models from the rear rank(s) and move into five new files, then rearrange the rest of the unit to even ranks.

Peace!

theunwantedbeing
27-09-2007, 00:11
Looks legal.
Seems to follow the rules to the letter, albeit seemingly abusing the fact that he has only a single rank.
However no models move more than double their move rate from their initial starting position and they didnt reform so they'de still be allowed to shoot.

By the time he's completed the turn to form his unit into a long line he has used only half his movement rate,so can spend the other half adding 6 models to the front rank(the rear ranks are then filled automatically).

So long as he doesnt move further it looks to be perfectly legal, albeit a bit odd.

WLBjork
27-09-2007, 11:02
Oops, I got it wrong. Should've looked at the diagram (14.2).

Yes, what you oppnent did was legal in all respects.

DeathlessDraich
27-09-2007, 12:18
Lovely diagrams - what application did you use?

Just adding to the correct answers above.

1) The sequence chosen is the most effective in getting the unit in the final position in the required formation. If the sequence of moves were executed in a different order, the unit might not have moved! e.g. change formation , turn and turn results in a reform about the centre!

2) Unlike the reform rules, changing formation is one of the 5 or possibly 6 cases where a model may move *more* than its movement allowance. More below.

3) Unlike the reform rules which makes the unit's centre immovable, changing formation starts with, and fixes, the first rank i.e. the formation is changed relative to a fixed first rank.

A very long line of archers performing the above manoeuvre could effectively moved a distance more than 4" as a unit and some models definitely could have moved more 8"!

I see this as legal but some players will not be pleased with this and will dispute it.

Kadrium
27-09-2007, 14:17
Lovely diagrams - what application did you use?

MS Paint :D

Thanks for the answers all.

TheDarkDaff
28-09-2007, 06:12
Not meaning to nit pick but i was under the impression that a model could never move more than it's M value unless marching (this may be a hangover from an older edition where i know it was put in print).

@theunwantedbeing - The double movement is meaningless because the only way to use it is if you are marching which only allows a unit to wheel(and would disallow them from shooting too).