PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Mk2 is not a playable unit?

BladeWalker
27-09-2007, 01:36
I'm not sure that I have ever seen a box set released that could not be fielded as a complete unit on the table. The new Veterans box that is coming out soon is not a fieldable Veterans squad (at least from the picture (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/apocalypse/catalog/SM_Veterans2.htm)), 3 out of 5 members have gear that forces them to be the squads Veteran Sarge since that is the only way to equip them WYSIWYG (they have either Plasma Pistols or a Single LC). It's not really that big of a deal and I plan to get the box anyway, are there other box sets that are just "cool dudes" and not an actual playable squad?

Can a squad be structured like the Veterans Mk2 box in any other SM chapter codex?

mistformsquirrel
27-09-2007, 01:40
Dark Angels veterans can have up to 3 of the following:

Power Weapon, Power Fist, Lightning Claws (single or double), Plasma Pistol, Combi-Weapon - in any combination.

So I'd say at least Dark Angels vet squads could.

Torga_DW
27-09-2007, 01:41
Thanks for posting the link. Maybe they're not intended as a veteran squad but veteran sergeants for existing squads? Because you're right, it certainly doesn't seem to fit vanilla marines or BA, and i'll guess DA either. No clue about BT.

edit: DA can eh? interesting. Maybe thats the target then

Kasonic
27-09-2007, 01:45
It's actually not completely legal, but it's close.

Personally I like the idea of using them as Vet Sarges as well. I've never really thought very highly of Veteran Squads.

BladeWalker
27-09-2007, 01:45
Now it makes more sense, thanks mistform. Looks like my box is going to be split between my existing Veterans Mk1 squad and being new Sarges for some new tac squads.

Now I won't go: :wtf: every time I look at the picture in anticipation. :D

mistformsquirrel
27-09-2007, 02:20
It's actually not completely legal, but it's close.

Personally I like the idea of using them as Vet Sarges as well. I've never really thought very highly of Veteran Squads.

True. They'd have to either drop the plasma pistols for bolt pistols, or the Power Weapons for normal CCW. Hmm...

BladeWalker
27-09-2007, 02:35
Yep, it's the Power Weapon/Plasma Pistol combo that screws it up... and two guys have that combo in the box. (the coolest guys ;) )

mistformsquirrel
27-09-2007, 02:38
Hmm... do we know, are these one-piece models? Or could they have interchangeable arms? Now that I look at it, I'm a little thrown as well...

DarthIbis
27-09-2007, 03:23
First, I would think it possible that they will have weapon options on the sprues with this set so you can equip them as something that is legal.

Second, a box you can buy that is not playable as-is would be the Eldar Jetbike. You have to have at least three in a squad.

BladeWalker
27-09-2007, 04:04
The Veteran Mk1 box has each miniature with a specific arm attached to it's sprue IIRC so I assumed this box was going to be the same way with only one pistol per guy. It would be easy to do pistol swaps and make them easier to put in squads.

Good Call DarthIbis! Now I'm trying to think of others... :D

EDIT: Here is the parts for the mk1 guys as I remembered, one weapon on same sprue as guy.
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99110101300&orignav=300866&ParentID=254027&GameNav=10&ItemNav=303223

Arbiter7
27-09-2007, 05:15
Yep, it's the Power Weapon/Plasma Pistol combo that screws it up... and two guys have that combo in the box. (the coolest guys ;) )

Can't see the reason it HAS to be a power weapon. You can always argue its a cool-looking normal ccw.

CrewDog
27-09-2007, 05:37
Wolf Guard can be have equipment such as these guys have. Too bad they don't look like Space Wolves. Guess I will be doing a lot of pinning of tails and adding green stuff pelts as well.

BrainFireBob
27-09-2007, 07:58
The new Command squads can have the power-weapon plasma pistol option, but no lightning claw.

Really, the box isn't fieldable as-is, but combined with the Mk1 box, complete the "range" of Veterans and Command Squad models.

paspinall
27-09-2007, 10:40
Wasnt the Mk 1 Vets box the same?

Obermotz
27-09-2007, 12:21
Well they are obviously an apocalypso release. There you can field them as 5 Space marine captains..

Ravenous
27-09-2007, 12:25
Vet sgts all the way.

Bunnahabhain
27-09-2007, 13:42
Well, the IG Army box isn't playable as is. You need at least another 20 men and a tank as a bare minimum to make it legal.

BladeWalker
27-09-2007, 14:17
Wasnt the Mk 1 Vets box the same?

No, it's fieldable for vanilla marines (I use it plus one more bp/ccw guy in my army). Mk1 gives you a PF Sarge, LC weapon option, PW weapon option, and 2 guys with bp/ccw so it's playable as is. Thanks for making my weird question into a interesting thread guys. :)

paspinall
27-09-2007, 14:28
No, it's fieldable for vanilla marines (I use it plus one more bp/ccw guy in my army). Mk1 gives you a PF Sarge, LC weapon option, PW weapon option, and 2 guys with bp/ccw so it's playable as is. Thanks for making my weird question into a interesting thread guys. :)

Yeah but that still forces you in to having one of them with a specific weapon as the sergeant, which I thought was your problem with the Mk2 box?

Anyway I intend to use them as Veteran Sergeants, I do kind of want a Veteran squad but will probably make my own.

Grazzy
27-09-2007, 17:49
I would use them as vet sarges. Veterans are an ok unit, but you have to resist the tempataion of so many upgrades. A fist sarge and some power weapons is fine, no termie honours needed.

Grazzy
27-09-2007, 17:50
On the subject of boxes that cannot be used as units - single bikes, attack bike (in vanilla marines).

Emperor's Avenger
27-09-2007, 18:02
Technically, it is a legal unit. Give the Vet sarge in a Vet squad termie honours for 15 pts and the rest of the squad can have them too at 10 pts each, giving them access to the armoury. However, this is very expensive, and then you end up with a super-tooled up assault unit that is
1. Easy to kill off
2. Has a guy with a bolter in it, for no reason other than it looks cool

Can't see the reason it HAS to be a power weapon. You can always argue its a cool-looking normal ccw.

Not really, because PWs have that little cable/wire thing on the blade.

Reinnon
27-09-2007, 18:13
you could always say they forgot to charge the battery pack on the power weapons, i always do it with my phone :)

but yes, those models look like they were meant to be used as vet sarges for your basic units

Askari
27-09-2007, 18:36
Technically, it is a legal unit. Give the Vet sarge in a Vet squad termie honours for 15 pts and the rest of the squad can have them too at 10 pts each, giving them access to the armoury. However, this is very expensive, and then you end up with a super-tooled up assault unit that is
1. Easy to kill off
2. Has a guy with a bolter in it, for no reason other than it looks cool

Not really, because PWs have that little cable/wire thing on the blade.

Terminator Honours does not give access to the Armoury.

Wyssy Wyg
27-09-2007, 18:54
If there is a Codex: SM Redux on the way, maybe they're just thinking ahead to when the veteran options will be like those in DA and BA. And if the sergeant options for vanilla marines are like those in DA and BA come Redux time, then the lightning claw veteran won't be a fieldable sergeant.

Greatoliver
27-09-2007, 23:35
I think it's a bit of a shame they modelled one with a LC and a BP... It's a really bad combination even though it looks cool. :(

llama rider
29-09-2007, 02:58
Everyone says that they would use them as vet. sarges
dont you think that they would stick out from the rest of the squad like a sore thumb?

CrewDog
29-09-2007, 04:14
Everyone says that they would use them as vet. sarges
dont you think that they would stick out from the rest of the squad like a sore thumb?

Not if you painted them the same as the rest of your army, no they would not stick out. But then as a vet sergeant, don't you want them to stand out a bit mroe?

llama rider
30-09-2007, 06:23
not so much as to make my other marines look horrible. if all my marines looked kind of beefed up with customized armor and more purity seals, then they would blend in more, but even with the last version of the veterans that I painted up and put as vet. sargeans, they looked wrong because they are really beast models and they make ordinary space marine models look dull. thats not a good effect.