PDA

View Full Version : Vamp Count In Need of advice for a 3K battle

colnagoing
27-09-2007, 06:30
I have a battle on Friday against a Dark Elf player who has an advantage of about 200-300points due to campaign rules. I wanted to do a very heavy calvary army while eliminating the efficiency of the dragon he continually brings, so i picked the Von Carstiens army. Here is the list:

1 Von Carstein Vampire Count @ 336 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Extra Hand Weapon
Black Periapt
Call Winds
Wolf Form

Hides in the back somewhere avoiding cannon fire and calling winds until later on in the game.

1 Von Carstein Vampire Count @ 359 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Lance
Barded Nightmare
Book of Arkhan
Crown of the Damned
Walking Death

jumps into the unit with banner of the barrows. Probably going to be my general, however I am concerned about the potential of an assassin

1 Von Carstein Vampire Thrall @ 137 Pts
Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armor; Shield
Barded Nightmare
Walking Death

In with the warbanner knights

1 Von Carstein Vampire Thrall @ 156 Pts
Hand Weapon; Heavy Armor; Battle Standard Bearer
Barded Nightmare
Walking Death

In with the last unit of barded knights

1 Necromancer @ 158 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Nightmare
Power Familiar

In with the wolf unit with a doom wolf

1 Necromancer @ 148 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade
Nightmare
Staff of Damnation

In with the wolf unit with a doom wolf

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

5 Dire Wolves @ 50 Pts

Cannon/arrow shield and war machine hunters

5 Dire Wolves @ 70 Pts
Doom Wolf

Mages hide here

8 Black Knights @ 290 Pts
Musician; Standard Bearer; Barding
Hell Knight
War Banner

Form one center flank

8 Black Knights @ 310 Pts
Hell Knight
Banner of the Barrows

Forms the other center flank

8 Black Knights @ 265 Pts
Hell Knight

Forms the center

9 Black Knights @ 270 Pts
Musician; Standard Bearer
Hell Knight

Forms a far flank

9 Black Knights @ 270 Pts
Musician; Standard Bearer
Hell Knight

Forms the other far flank

1 Cannon [Dogs] @ 85 Pts

Takes out chariots

Total Roster Cost: 3054

I am allowed about 100-150 extra points allowance over 3K. What the other guys in the campaign have told me about his army (he is winning and they dont want him to) is that he will have a dragon, 1 lvl4, 2 lvl 2s, an assassin, 2X crossbow unit, a block of corsairs, a block of spearmen, 10 CoK, 2 CoChariots, a block of exicutioners, a block black guard, 2X bolt throwers, and a cannon.

I really have no idea how to counter his army as they can do alot of damage. Any ideas would help out sooo much.
-Thanks

BigRob
27-09-2007, 07:27
I'd be worried that it looks like both your necromancers are on nightmares in the same small unit of dire wolves.
I've never seen it done, so good for taking the risk, but some Repeater X-bow/Bolt thrower fire and suddenly, bye bye meatshield with no chance of reviving.
I like the all mounted speedyness though, its looking good. The DRagon might give you some problems, possibly eating the vamp left at the back, but if you can neutralise it (Does call winds stop flyers or just missiles?) then maybe that cannon can line up a shot :D

Good luck

colnagoing
27-09-2007, 18:03
i was debating if it was a good call about the necros in the wolves (the wolf unit with necros would follow the black black knights and use them as protection from shooting...possibly charging a missle unit once everyone is engaged in combat since invocation wouldnt be very effective with this army). if he has hills then i will throw them in with a unit of black knights or two, call of winds reduces the dragon to ground movement only...thus letting me have the range to charge him, it also makes it harder to hit with missles (i think generally he would hit on a 5+ or a 6+).

BigRob
28-09-2007, 07:45
Call winds will certainly even things up in that respect, hopefully your cannon will be uneffected. I havnt seen a all mounted VC army before, so good luck and pop up a battle report when your done :)

Only other thing I didnt spot was any dispel scrolls?

Necronoxz
28-09-2007, 12:37
loze the cannon!!!
character's in unit dire wolfs DONT WORK!!!! realy dont even try it ;)

you can have 2 lord choises take 1 necromancer lord and 1 vampire lord

loze some knight's and take a unit of grave guards (walking wights) give them a banner of doom and put your necromancer lord in that unit
he is well protected agains missile fire becouse they first must shoot the rest of the unit before they can take your lord just watch out for combat. so your general is well protected.

if you take von carstine you also can choise to leave your lvl 3 wizard behind in your unit grave guards and dont give him armour so you are heavy in magical ;) just keep in mind if you general is slain you start to crumble and I can tell you this you dont gonna like it

your dire wolfs are verry fast and if you take tactical good choises you can hunt down all warmachines you want ;) if you dont trust this you also can go for the fell bat's ;) but I prefurse the dire wolfs and unit's form 6 istead of 5 and just loze the doom wolf in small unit's they dont make the difrents

colnagoing
29-09-2007, 19:02
Turns out that the cannon didnt do anything (i forgot to fire it first turn and it was KOed during his turn.)

I put the mages into an unbarded knight unit and after turn 1 had them just follow closely behind. Game ended up turning into one huge 4 of my knights untis, 2 of his infantry units, and 2 of his chariots being engulfed in a combat in the center of the table...and the battlestandard bearer won me the game.

Only big thing i realized during the game is that walking death does not stack...and the BSB is such a god-send in a knight heavy army.

jimbo
24-10-2007, 14:56
So...You won?!
Good on ya'! Another victory for Vampire kind!