PDA

View Full Version : DOW: Winter Assault rumours confirmed!!!

Cade
01-09-2005, 18:58
In this month's edition of PC Gamer, further details of Dawn Of War: Winter Assault have been released.

The main objective of the single player campaign is to locate, recover and USE an Emperor Titan.

Eldar get Fire Dragons, Chaos get Beserkers, Marines get Chaplains and Orks get Mega-armoured Nobz.

Cannae wait! :D

Son of Morkai
01-09-2005, 19:08
Mainly very old news. We've had screens of the new units for a long time.

Actually using the Titan? Interesting...

x-esiv-4c
01-09-2005, 22:42
Emperor = Imperator class titan?

wow....Thats teh win!

Cade
01-09-2005, 23:03
The first Ork mission includes you having to unite the warring Clans, freeing a couple of captured Squiggoths and wiping out a Chaos stronghold.

Cypher
02-09-2005, 12:25
Ok let's be clear: DoW devs have stated countless times that the game engine simply isnt capable of dealing with anything titan sized. Id wager that the titan (if the reports are correct) is a plot device, nothing more.

DeathMasterSnikch
02-09-2005, 12:40
Meby they go all unethical and scale the titan down, or meby you ca just use it to call in a bombardment style attack such as general powers on C&C:G or the deep strike style targeting.

and yeh that news is incredibly old...

anyone know about the chaos and eldar first mission?

CELS
02-09-2005, 15:06
I agree. The Titan will probably just appear in a video at the end or something. Unless of course it was a Warhound Titan, in which case they might be able to cram it in there.

BorisGT
02-09-2005, 22:26
I agree. The Titan will probably just appear in a video at the end or something. Unless of course it was a Warhound Titan, in which case they might be able to cram it in there.

They could have some Knight class titans instead (I think that's what they're called. The little feckers who are the mini titans).

Oh, and if it was just in a video, and done like the opening video.... Well basically I'd need to change my shorts after watching it. I love the opning video.

Lord Setra
02-09-2005, 22:29
I think the mini titans are called Skitatri.

Well I must say Im looking forward to getting it.

CELS
02-09-2005, 22:31
Erm, no. Knights are called Knights, they're not called Titans. You have dreadnoughts, knights and titans. Don't mix them up ;)

And the Skitarii are the Tech Guard, the Mechanicus' version of the Imperial Guard, in many ways. So no, Skitarii are not "mini-titans" or Knights.

BorisGT
02-09-2005, 22:54
Oh, okay. Well now that I'm clear, I think that they could have Knights in the game as a bit of a teaser to the titan you could be playing to secure.

Son of Morkai
03-09-2005, 07:54
You have dreadnoughts, knights and titans. Don't mix them up ;)
Don't forget the robots, too...

CELS
03-09-2005, 10:13
Actually, I think I will forget the robots ;)

(*officially hates all mention of robots in 40k, for fluff reasons*)

useless
03-09-2005, 10:19
This is VERY old news imo

WLBjork
03-09-2005, 12:09
anyone know about the chaos and eldar first mission?

There are no "Chaos" or "Eldar" missions.

Instead you play Order (Imperial Guard and Eldar) or Disorder (Chaos and Orks).

The first mission for Order is an Imperial Guard beachhead then control switches to Eldar for a stealth attack at Chaos power plants.

For Disorder, as stated, the Orks get united and stomp Chaos.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
03-09-2005, 18:14
Wow...it jsut struck me. How cool would it be to have a shooter game based on you being an imperial guardsmen and working your way up to sergeant, where you can command a squad, veteran, where your squad is all elite and does crazy cool sneaky missions, veteran sergeant, where you control a squad of veterans, and so on. When your a regular guardsmen you can choose to be heavy weapons, regular, or special trooper, and you can fight in huge battle, like the one tyranid vs cadian battle in the codex, or go into cityfight and fight in cities. Just imagine a first person shooter where you and your squad would be following a baneblade as it enters the city, or you and millions of other line up in some field and shoot at the nids and hope they all die before they get to you.

Or they could just make a Battlefield: 40k thing.

Lord Barker
03-09-2005, 19:29
Will there be any gameplay enhancements/changes?
The squad and vehicle cap bugs the hell out of me, amoung other certain things. Ofcourse having a horde of chaos space marines would be unfluffy, so how about the squad cap only applies to CSM, possesed, obliterators etc etc. So one can have countless squads of heretics? Same could be done for the other armies, IG only cap the kasrkrin, and their horde is the infantry. For Eldar, hmmmm, well, just cap the aspect warriors, the eldar will field lots of guardians if the situation demands rite? Space marines are even harder, perhaps not cap the troops, as same reasons for eldar. Orks, odviously don't cap basic troop types.

GuRu
03-09-2005, 19:49
Will there be any gameplay enhancements/changes?
The squad and vehicle cap bugs the hell out of me, amoung other certain things. Ofcourse having a horde of chaos space marines would be unfluffy, so how about the squad cap only applies to CSM, possesed, obliterators etc etc. So one can have countless squads of heretics? Same could be done for the other armies, IG only cap the kasrkrin, and their horde is the infantry. For Eldar, hmmmm, well, just cap the aspect warriors, the eldar will field lots of guardians if the situation demands rite? Space marines are even harder, perhaps not cap the troops, as same reasons for eldar. Orks, odviously don't cap basic troop types.

1. No unit cap would mean A LOT of models on screen, a lot of models on screen means a serious FPS hit. For obvious technical reasons, RTS games will always have a unit cap.

2. Most of the DoW maps are too small to have a complete battlefield filled with troops and vehicles. It would be a pathfinding nightmare!

Lord Barker
03-09-2005, 20:06
Yeah but still, a squad cap of 20, it would even be shamefull it that 20 were 1 for each squad. atleast 40, come on..

The pestilent 1
04-09-2005, 00:56
i think you can Altar those settings via the Rules.ini file?
if not there is the mod that doubles all caps (but does nothing else)
look here (http://dawnofwar.filefront.com/news/) for it maybe?

Rabid Bunny 666
04-09-2005, 01:02
Or they could just make a Battlefield: 40k thing.

thems modding it ;)

The pestilent 1
04-09-2005, 01:25
im hoping for a 40k on a Galactic scale.
like Imperium Galactica if you know it?
imagine that with modern technologie :evilgrin:

WLBjork
04-09-2005, 09:51
Ok let's be clear: DoW devs have stated countless times that the game engine simply isnt capable of dealing with anything titan sized. Id wager that the titan (if the reports are correct) is a plot device, nothing more.

That comes from a piece of ambiguously worded text in the preview, whereby it is stated that the game is about
finding and controlling one of these armoured behemoths (Emperor class Imperator Titan)

warlordgrubnatz
04-09-2005, 18:55
damn, i havent played DOW yet. I have it right here but i need a transform and lighting graphics card.

New Cult King
04-09-2005, 23:20
I cannot wait to get this add-on. Just to clarify, if Order is IG and Eldar, I take it there's no SM campaign for Winter Assault? If not, I'd understand, as the original game had a SM campaign. Do we know how many single-player missions are in WA?

Son of Morkai
04-09-2005, 23:30
6 missions on each side. They are supposed to be fairly long, with choices that will affect the campaign in some way. Some of the missions will be playable from both sides. (YAY! I loved TA: Kingdoms for stuff like that!)

Ultramarines will make a cameo, either like the Guard in DoW (controlable) or like the Eldar in the last mission (uncontrolable).

Rumored is a Tyranid cameo (a few units, like the Guard in DoW) - probably Genestealer cultists.

Oh, and I don't think anyone mentioned this yet - the Chaos Lord swaps his scythe for a big Khornate axe (Axe of Khorne, Doomaxe, or something else, I know not which).

CELS
04-09-2005, 23:55
I hope they swap his head too. To paraphrase a Star Wars fan who was a bit disappointed with Darth Maul; "Why is it that the bad guys always have bad teeth?"

Son of Morkai
05-09-2005, 00:06
I think he keeps the same head... I don't recall a headswap in any of the screens I've seen.

The pestilent 1
05-09-2005, 00:49
no whacking great Scythe. Travesty!
id still prefere a mace though, too many manreapers are scythes for my taste.

New Cult King
05-09-2005, 03:54
Looks like a cross between an axe and a mace in this pic:

http://media.pc.ign.com/media/730/730067/img_2989522.html

CELS
05-09-2005, 08:31
And I suppose now even the Emperor's Children chaos lords will have this 'axe' of Khorne... *sigh*