PDA

View Full Version : Hellfiresword

GranFarfar
01-09-2005, 19:43
In the description of the Hellfiresword it says something in the way of
"Any caused wound(after saves etc) is multiplied into D6 wounds with no armour-save allowed"
Donīt have the book in my hands - Please do correct me if I am way of, or even If I am just slightly out there.

Now, normally multiple wounds weapons are quite simple - every caused wound is multiplied by X.
But here they have specifically stated "with no armour-save allowed", which leads you too think 2 things.
1. You are actually allowed a wardsave against every multiplied wound - which is rather unike.
2. GW yet again shows there skill in writing deiciving and confusing ruledescriptions.

I am leaning agains option 2. I just refuse to belive in option one. Would just like some second oppinions.

Festus
01-09-2005, 20:33
Hi

The Hellfiresword is not a multiple damage weapon per se.

Following the description, it first has to hit/wound normally and saves are allowed here.
Then it deals another D6 wounds, which do not allow armour saves (but ward saves can be taken as normal).

So it is not a multiple Wound weapon (like 1D6 Wounds/hit), but a 1 hit weapon that can deal additonal damage (1 W/hit + 1D6 additional Damage)

Greetings
Festus

edit: I even daresay that targets immune to flaming attacks are immune to the additional damage as well...

GranFarfar
01-09-2005, 21:15
OH! So you mean that for example - A Chaos lord with 5 attacks and with the hellfiresword, can at a maximum cause 5 wounds + D6, and not 5*D6?!

I did not realise that was the case. Well, no wonder since I have never seen the sword in action. And I donīt expect to in the nearest future.

Izram
01-09-2005, 21:23
The unsaved wounds are multiplied, i.e. roll a d6 for each unsaved wound

Porksta
01-09-2005, 21:51
But each D6 wounds is on each model that takes a normal wound, so it is no use against infantry or the like.

samw
02-09-2005, 02:10
Well, not strictly true. A Chaos lord with this sword could challenge the unit champion, and would probably get the wound + maximum overkill. It can also be very good against monsters and characters. It's better than the sword of change anyway...

Festus
02-09-2005, 11:23
Hi

The unsaved wounds are multiplied, i.e. roll a d6 for each unsaved wound
No, they are not.

The model suffers one Wound AND additionally 1D6 Wounds.

Greetings
Festus

Izram
02-09-2005, 13:32
"Any caused wound(after saves etc) is multiplied into D6 wounds with no armour-save allowed"

Thats what im basing multiplied off of; what rule are you basing "+1d6" off of? Does your copy of the book say that for each unsaved wound the model takes an extra d6 wounds?

T10
02-09-2005, 13:45

Thats what im basing multiplied off of; what rule are you basing "+1d6" off of? Does your copy of the book say that for each unsaved wound the model takes an extra d6 wounds?

GranFarfar did not quote the exact text.

Suffice to say that the additional 1d6 wounds is an effect triggered by the fact that the target suffers one or more wounds to the sword.

Thus the helfire sword is great for handling monsters, not so great against characters and pretty confusing against multi-wound rank-and-file troops like Ogres.

-T10

Festus
02-09-2005, 16:12
Hi

I *base* the rule on the one in my book, where it says in plain language (although this is German) "1W6 zusätzliche Schadenspunkte", translating to "1D6 additional wounds".

Either my (German) book is wrong, or the *quote* erm... of GranFarfar...

Greetings
Festus

Inquisitor Maul
02-09-2005, 16:21
it's lovely against treemen :evilgrin:

GranFarfar
02-09-2005, 16:23
Sorry if I caused any confusion. But I was clear in my first post that the quote wasnīt precise... or atleast I was trying to be clear on it.

But I think it is starting to make more sence for me now.

But just to reasure myself - I take one wound, and if I am lacking or failing wardsave, I take an additional D6 wounds. Yes?

Thanks for all the help.

Festus
02-09-2005, 16:54
Hi

No, not quite:
You hit and wound normally with the Sword.
Then the enemy saves normally (including Armour, Wards)

If the hit then has causes an unsaved Wound, the enemy suffers another D6 of wounds, which bypass armour completely (although Wardsaves can be taken as normal against any wound suffered).

Greetings
Festus