PDA

View Full Version : The Lightning Tower/ The Dark King..

reds8n
27-09-2007, 21:08
... so what do people think then ? I thought both stories were very enjoyable.
..... Empty Plinths eh ? :p:angel:

Luthien
27-09-2007, 21:11
Erm... what??
Stories you say, where can i find 'em or are you making this up :confused:

reds8n
27-09-2007, 21:15
See here (http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60040181021&type=Book). Got one at Gamesday.

Luthien
27-09-2007, 21:23
Damn, I'm pissed i missed out on that :(

Progena
27-09-2007, 21:26
It will be available from BL's online store (and perhaps your local store). :)

EDIT: Which should be evident from the link... bah... I have tendency to state the obvious...

reds8n
27-09-2007, 21:29
It will be available from BL's online store

Won't be in shops--they're only doing 1500 copies total apparently.

Be helpful if someone psoted a link to the preorder section eh ? :angel:

Progena
27-09-2007, 21:31
Won't be in shops--they're only doing 1500 copies total apparently.

Be helpful if someone psoted a link to the preorder section eh ? :angel:

Yeah, and when those 1500 copies dissapear in a week they're not gonna make a whole new batch? :rolleyes:

reds8n
27-09-2007, 21:36
I asked this at Gd and was told nope, that's it*.

Ebay must love GW.

*. Although I have a feeling they're boundto turn up in some collected edition or similat, which i'll also buy like the fluffwhore I am.:p:confused::eyebrows:

Progena
27-09-2007, 21:40
I asked this at Gd and was told nope, that's it*.

Ebay must love GW.

*. Although I have a feeling they're boundto turn up in some collected edition or similat, which i'll also buy like the fluffwhore I am.:p:confused::eyebrows:

I've sworn on the Chaos Gods that I won't be ordering online too often... at least not untill I get through the 40 BL novels on my "to read" shelf... I miss the old days when I could ignore half the novels on the "Coming Soon" list... :eyebrows:

cpl_hicks
27-09-2007, 21:46
except you cannot preorder the chap book from the BL website as when you add it to your shopping trolly, it says part does not exist.

reds8n
27-09-2007, 21:46
I generally bash any Bl book in a couple of days, but I must confess i have 3 or 4 books I bought in their sale that have just sat on the side since arriving. mainly as they tend to be book 3 of 4 etc etc.

Still better than Eldar prophecy though I'll wager.;)

EDIt : doesn't exist ? Jeez, you've gotta love Gw's web shops.

cpl_hicks
27-09-2007, 21:52
checked on the BL forums and they are saying that its a coding error that may be fixed tomorrow (i wonder if i could pull a day off sick from work :D)

The Judge
27-09-2007, 21:55
I got them at Games Day, and damn if they weren't some of the best stuff I've read in a good long time.

Lightning Tower rose the hairs on the back of my neck at the end... and always good to see some of the less mentioned Primarchs get some more air time (Dark King especially).

The Tarot cards were particularly interesting, and the simulations.

Progena
27-09-2007, 21:59
I generally bash any Bl book in a couple of days, but I must confess i have 3 or 4 books I bought in their sale that have just sat on the side since arriving. mainly as they tend to be book 3 of 4 etc etc.

Yeah, I did the "one-book-a-day" routine before I got back in school. Now I can hardly manage one a week due to the [expletive deleted]loads of homework, projects and book reports they make us do. :cries:

reds8n
27-09-2007, 22:02
If it's any consolation school is much more fun than working for a living. :D

EVER SO SLIGHT SPOILER SO STOP ETC ETC:

huge gap left to help non readers...

I really liked the bit with Konrad, the prisoner with the bolt gun and Dorn. Those few paragraphs said more about the respective characters than the entirety of some Bl books.

Lum-ox
27-09-2007, 22:22
Look at the price on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Horus-Heresy-Limited-Edition-Abnett-McNeil-Games-Day_W0QQitemZ180162633472QQihZ008QQcategoryZ44124Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Glad I got tricked into buying 2.;)

Lum

MadDoc
28-09-2007, 09:28
Just ordered my copy... :D

Londinium
28-09-2007, 16:59
500 UK Games Day
500 US Games Day
500 BL

That was the break down for their sales, so get then while you can.

Bit dissapointed about the artwork on the cover mind, hasn't that picture been overused enough already ? I would have loved to see some artwork of Dorn and Night Haunter considering they are absent from the Visions books (I ignore John Blanches' awful sketches in the case of Dorn).

DantesInferno
28-09-2007, 22:08
Would there be any chance of a pair of brief synopses for those of us who won't get a chance to get these? With spoiler tags, of course.

cpl_hicks
28-09-2007, 22:29
You can now order this book from the BL website

Daemonslave
28-09-2007, 22:39
Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp?prod=60049981013&type=Book

I've already ordered my, err, one or two copies.;):angel:

MadDoc
29-09-2007, 02:14
You can now order this book from the BL website

:eyebrows: As had already been posted by me, almost 17 hours ago...

cpl_hicks
30-09-2007, 00:26
i missed that comment, but with all the problems that where being had with the ordering system i felt it had to be said loud and clear

Nazguire
30-09-2007, 07:15
I too would like a description of all the juicy bits spoiler tagged and all:D

reds8n
30-09-2007, 11:52
Would there be any chance of a pair of brief synopses for those of us who won't get a chance to get these? With spoiler tags, of course.

seeing as it's you.;)

The Dark King

We open with a nightmarish vision of the universe in chaos, "the death of a world...Astartes fighting to the death...a golden eagle cast from the heavens". Gradually reality comes back to out "hero" who is Curze squatting on the ruined body of Dorn-- who is listed as having bone white hair which ruins my afro hope--and people, including Sigismund shouting at him about what he has done.
We then shift to later when Curze is secured in his chamber on the orbital fortress that the NL,IF and EC have been using as a base during their recent campaign. He thinks back to an incident at the end of the campaign. The enemy has surrendered after a hard 8 months of action. Curze basically has had his chaplains set up execution/death camps and the NL are shooting all of the prisoners they have taken. They then burn the bodies in huge pyres. Dorn arrives incensed at what he sees as an atrocity as these people will be the Emperor's subjects. He and Curze then debate over the nature of the crusade-- to Dorn it is to liberate and bring illumination and a better more benevolent tomorrow. To Curze the sole purpose of the crusade is to conquer and install enough fear in the Imperium that they will obey.
To illustrate his point Curze seizes 1 of the prisoners, gives him a bolt gun and tells him to shoot him ! The man is too terrified and in awe of the Primarch to obey. Curze then orders his men that WHATEVER this man does he is not to be harmed, and then walks away. The prisoner then shoots at Curze who turns and crushes his skull in his bare hands. Dorn dismisses Curze ( Dorn appears to have overall control of the campaign) and as Curze leaves he wonders if perhaps he has no place in the Imperium after all.
We return back to Curze in his chamber who is joined by his equerry Captain Shang. We learn that Dorn will recover, and that he confronted Curze after Fulgrim told Dorn about Curze's nightmarish visions. As he confronted Curze, the visions overcame Curze again and that is why he attacked Dorn. we are told the Legion is to be sent back to earth where in all likelihood it will be disbanded. Lastly we gather that after Curze's departure Nostromo has descended back into corruption and lawlessness. Curze orders his ships to be made ready.

We then move to Curze armouring himself and preparing to escape. He uses some kind of psychic force blast wave and shatters all the lighting strips in the room. He then vaults up into the rafters and hides. Straight away the guards outside his room-- a mixture of EC and IF elites-- come into the room. despite their armour and training they can't see Curze in the darkness as he is just too fast. His armour is also capable of jamming Astartes comms as well. Then like some uber-Batman from hell he kills all the guards in a variety of nasty ways and leaves, vowing as he does so that he is Curze no longer but is, indeed always was, Night Haunter.
We jump again to the bridge of NH flagship-- which is of course largely dark--where he sits dealing out some tarot cards. He always gets the same ominous pattern. The fleet is in orbit around Nostromo and they are detecting pursuit from his brothers. NH orders all 50 of his ships to fire and they destroy his homeworld. We end with " The shockwave of this terrifying act would reverberate around the Imperium and come to the attention of those who,like him, understood the sacrifices needed to preserve the galaxy for humanity. Nostromo burned and Night Haunter said " I take this burden of this evil upon myself and I will not fear it, for I am fear incarnate.."

I'll do the Lightning Tower later.

Plinths. 2 empty plinths is all I'll say for now.:angel:

DantesInferno
30-09-2007, 12:07
*grovels at the feet of reds8n*

That's a brilliant insight into the twisted mind of Curze. Great synopsis!

Ktotwf
30-09-2007, 12:20
Why is the Emperor on the cover?

reds8n
30-09-2007, 14:38
Why not ? ;)

The Lightning Tower.

We open on Terra with the bestest description of the Imperial palace Gw have yet produced. Apparently when it was complete it was/is the largest single man made thing in known space. basically they appear to have carved out the Himalayas mountain range and added towers that probe the edge of the planets atmosphere and vaults that pierce the planet's mantle. It was designed and built by a coalition of all the greatest architects and masons of the current age who wept at the magnificence of what they had wrought when they were done. Indeed their cooperation was both a tribute to the Emperor and simple recognition that that is who he is.--" He had been the Emperor long before there was any such office to take.No-one knew his birth name, because he had always,naturally, been the Emperor. I gather he's quite likable then :D We then get a little description of it being shorn of its facades and embellishments and decorations and their replacement with earthworks, batteries and emplacements. The architect of this was Dorn and he was not proud of his work.
We then shift to inside the palace where Dorn is in conversation with Vadok Singh the warmason. He has been genebred to be even taller than the primarch --helps with surveying and overseering. Ironically the conversation is Dorn bemoaning the loss of the aesthetics of the palace whilst the architect persuades him it is necessary. Sigismund and Archamus of the IF are there and they both bristle as Vadok is very familiar with Dorn, even using his first name. Dorn hopes after all this is over to restore everything back to the way it was.

We shift to later and Dorn is stood on one of the last few as yet unfortified parts of the palace-- its so big the walls breed their own micro climate in parts. Dorn is wearing an old fur trimmed robe that had belonged to his "grandfather" in the Inwit ice caste who raised him. Apparently Dorn was the 7th primarch to be found, he had been ruling the Inwit Cluster as Emperor, his "grandfather" having been dead for 40 years +, but his memory obviously dear to Dorn as when he slept/sleeps he has the fur edged robe across his body at night. He believes that whilst attacking is easy the real art was knowing when not to attack- a lesson drummed into him by his upbringing. best line in this section : " The Imperium needs many things, but foremost it needs the ability to attack when necessary. That's why I gave it 20 (note that number there) strong teeth in its mouth".
Dorn is then joined by Archamus- who is head of Dorn's huscarl retinue. He tries to persuade Dorn that what he has built is wondrous, out-surpassing his previous fortresses, but Dorn is convinced that all he has actually done is ruin a wonder through necessity. What is troubling Dorn more than anything it seems is WHY this is happening. Archamus tries to cheer him by saying that Guilliman or the other primarchs will stop Horus before he reaches Earth, but Dorn knows otherwise. This section ends when Archamus asks Dorn who he is really afraid of ?

The next scene is Dorn pondering this as he strolls through the palace, which is as ever busy and full of people. He considers various Primarchs and whether he is afraid of them. His walk takes him to the Investiary, a 2 kilometer wide Amphitheatre open to the night sky. Here are TWENTY plinths with statues on. " THE SECOND AND ELEVENTH PLINTHS HAD BEEN VACANT FOR A LONG TIME. NO ONE EVER SPOKE OF THOSE TWO ABSENT BROTHERS. THEIR SEPARATE TRAGEDIES HAD SEEMED LIKE ABERRATIONS. HAD THEY, IN FACT, BEEN WARNINGS THAT NO ONE HAD HEEDED?" --- I've capitalised that as let's face it that's pretty much the most info we've ever been told about the missing 2. But less digression more summary
The traitorous primarchs are covered with sheets-- Sigismund wanted to demolish them himself-- this made the Emperor laugh apparently. Dorn ponders on if it is Horus he is scared of-- he's the only one he isn't sure about being able to beat. He realises that what scares him is he doesnt understand WHY Horus is rebelling, and perhaps even worse, if he did know why Horus was rebelling would he also agree....?
His pondering is interrupted by Malcador who is "taking the air" but in reality he has been sent by the Emperor as he senses that there is doubt in Dorn's heart-- it is vital that the rebellion finishes here when they arrive, the palace must not fall.
We shift to a while later and we are now in Malcador's quarters. He has a collection of old banners and Thunder armours in stasis-- and also a multitude of ancient artworks seemingly including the Mona Lisa and the Sunflowers ! Here Dorn unburdens himself and explains the reason he is afraid is that he thinks if he can't understand what he is defending against then there will be a chink in the defense. Malcador tells him that Chaos is what is driving Horus and the rest now, and that by definition that is impossible to understand. To attempt to do so will drive you insane. He claims even the Emperor himself doesn't see and understand everything about chaos-- " it's what he knows he doesn't know". Malcador says it is better this way, recognise what chaos has done to our brightest and best and fend it off whilst remaining true to ourselves.
Dorn thanks him and is about to leave when Malcador shows him something else-- the sight of which grips Dorn with fear. He show him a deck of tarot cards made on Nostromo-- a pack used by Curze. Malcador apparently ( and I'm sure he's lying) has never heard the full tale of what happened between Dorn and Curze and asks what happened. Dorn relates that the IF, NL and EC had fought and beaten the enemy in the Cheraut system, but Curze didn't know when to stop so he was rebuked by Dorn. Dorn says he confronted him as he was angry at the lies Curze was spreading about marine fighting marine, the Emperor being overthrown and the galaxy in flames, and Curze attacked him and nearly killed him. he relates how Curze then burned his homeworld and fled with his legion " into the darkest part of the stars"-- I assume then the Curze's fall must have happened a few years ago at least before the rest of the Heresy. Dorn confesses that he does in fcat carry a slight fear of Curze still as he doesn't understand him and worse of all, seemingly he was right !
Malcador deals out the cards -- the Moon, the Martyr and the Monster, the Dark King askew across the Emperor. The last card a tower being hit by lightning, a palace brought to ruin by fire, a fallen bastion. Malcador then explains that this card has more than one meaning-- a change in fortune, knowledge or achievement obtained through sacrifice. A flash of inspiration that tumbles the world around you but leaves you with a greater gift.
We end with a description of an immense battle- the palace being overrun and destroyed, the heretics surge forward... and Dorn ends the computer simulation. He then resets it to include Curze amongst the attackers, it ends with
" Play it out, simulation after simulation, if you like" said the voice behind him."Simulations are just simulations. I know you won't fail me when the time comes."
Dorn turned. " I would never knowingly fail you Father" he said.
"Then don't be afraid. Don't let fear get in your way."

What are you afraid of? What are you really afraid of?
The Lightning Tower, thought Rogal Dorn. I understand its meaning: achievement obtained through sacrifice. I'm just afraid of what that sacrifice might be.

Ktotwf
30-09-2007, 20:12
I love the picture of the Emperor that Abnett provides. Abnett and I see eye to eye when it comes to Big E.

I sincerely hope he gets the "Battle of Terra" book. The Emperor will be in good hands, and the archfiend DantesInferno will be deprived of ammunition.

Mechanicus
30-09-2007, 20:15
I can't wait to get these... Especially after reading the spoilers... :p

Captain Stern
30-09-2007, 20:28
So did Night Haunter beat Dorn in a straight fight like in that cow pat of an Index Astartes or did he attack him when his back was turned or what? :mad:

WarEyes
30-09-2007, 22:00
For the insight into the history of the run-up to the Heresy, as well as the preparations Dorn went through, it was definitly worth picking up. I never really thought I got a full idea of Dorn's character from 'Flight of the Eisenstein', so to be able to see a different side to him was good.

Also, to have something on Konrad Kurze beside the assassination snippet just made him stand out even more. I'd like to think that BL will make a novel about what they got up to once they destroyed Nostramo...

I can hope...

Sephiroth
30-09-2007, 22:35
I love the picture of the Emperor that Abnett provides. Abnett and I see eye to eye when it comes to Big E.

Wasn't Abnett the one who said the Emperor is actually corpse-like, and what we see is His Psychic projection, thus he always appears "perfect" to anyone who views him?

Interesting take on him to be sure. ;)

Captain Stern
30-09-2007, 22:36
Wasn't Abnett the one who said the Emperor is actually corpse-like, and what we see is His Psychic projection, thus he always appears "perfect" to anyone who views him?

Interesting take on him to be sure. ;)

Where'd he say that???

Sephiroth
30-09-2007, 23:05
Where'd he say that???

A seminar or some such. I can't say for definite, but it was posted up on Dakka I vaguely recall. The Emperor is corpse-like already, we just can't tell because he projects a psychic aura that cloaks him in "perfection" to who ever looks at him.

During the fight with Horus, this fails when he is mortally wounded, and it as Horus falters in shock and pity, that the Emperor delivers his deathblow to Horus.

Lemme see if I can find the link. I'm pretty sure that's his idea for the future though, rather than a harc "fact".

Edit: http://z10.invisionfree.com/Pre_Heresy/index.php?showtopic=1348&st=0&#entry8948520

Scroll to the top.

Ktotwf
30-09-2007, 23:17
If what Sephiroth is saying is true, I really really like it. Its so different and ballsier than I would have expected.

What a total mind**** though.

Sephiroth
30-09-2007, 23:25
If what Sephiroth is saying is true, I really really like it. Its so different and ballsier than I would have expected.

What a total mind**** though.

I agree. It's so good because it was so unexpected. :D

Hopefully the Heresy series will have more like it.

Ktotwf
30-09-2007, 23:29
It would shock the hell out of you to find out that your Dad who looks like Fabio mixed with Arnold Schwarzenegger is actually a Palpatine-ish old man.

It be great if the Emperor said something like, "Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the Emperor" before electrocuting him.

Captain Stern
30-09-2007, 23:37
Just had a look at that link...

Some cool ideas and... but then... Oh I can't cope with all this change! What the hell are they doing to 40!? Macneil was gonna be a surveyor! Now this!

Ktotwf
30-09-2007, 23:40
<---- is apparently the only 40k fan who couldn't give less of a crap about the Primarchs or the Space Marines.

I am totally interested in how this new concept of the Emperor is gonna play out.

Captain Stern
30-09-2007, 23:49
I always thought if they pulled this kind of drastic change I'd be extremely angry, but the more I think about it the more I really, really like the idea.

EDIT/ UPDATE

However I do NOT like the idea of the primarchs getting killed and being cloned and re-cloned though. Can you imagine Leman Russ getting killed never mind him being cloned!?

Ktotwf
30-09-2007, 23:55
Anything that makes the Emperor both Powerful/Wise and Weird is okay in my book.

And cloning of any kind is automatically lame.

WarEyes
01-10-2007, 08:58
Anything that makes the Emperor both Powerful/Wise and Weird is okay in my book.

And cloning of any kind is automatically lame.

Personally, I think that the cloning aspect, if it is true, will make things much more interesting. Because then it brings up so many questions about certain characters mutations.

Did Magnus gain his single eye through the power of the warp corrupting him when it flung his capsule out? Did he gain it due to a screw-up during a cloning procedure?

Regarding the Emperor, well, it's perfect. Ironic, because it's much like his Imperium of 10 thousand years later. Outwardly appearing perfect to it's many inhabitants, only to be corrupt and failing at the center.

Lastie
01-10-2007, 09:08
However I do NOT like the idea of the primarchs getting killed and being cloned and re-cloned though. Can you imagine Leman Russ getting killed never mind him being cloned!?

I can imagine Leman Russ getting killed quite easily. He's not invulnerable; immortal perhaps but certainly not indestructable. Oh, granted, a certain amount of firepower will be required, but if all else fails hitting him with a planet should do the trick. :D

Londinium
01-10-2007, 14:40
According to a poster on the Black Library forums who was also at said event, Abnett didn't say half of that, including the stuff about cloning and the Emperor's physical condition was merely an random thought of his own, I think the link to the rebuttal is in the Descent of Angels thread.

Ktotwf
01-10-2007, 20:30
So, thats cool too.

All in the same, I am gonna feel extremely gipped if I don't get some one on one time with the Emperor during this whole Horus Heresy book series. I am sick of speculation, and I really want to know WHY he did what he did, and WHAT he is, and HOW he views things. And I want them to do it in a way that makes me go "OHHH! It all makes sense now! I get who this guy is!"

I'm sorry if that makes me an unsubtle plebian - I am just tired of them being so circumspect with the most important character in the entire story.

And...why wouldn't BL make it? It would sell like an evening of guaranteed sex with Jessica Alba.