PDA

View Full Version : US Backpack or no?

shakespear
28-09-2007, 00:19
I was told at the warstore the apocalypse backpack is UK only. Some guy at the shop said its on the US website, but I cant find it.

Anyone know?

odmiller
28-09-2007, 00:24
I was told at the warstore the apocalypse backpack is UK only. Some guy at the shop said its on the US website, but I cant find it.

Anyone know?

It had to be special ordered.

Fred_Scuttle
28-09-2007, 00:50
GET to your local GW store or Indipendant stocker ASAP.

They are going FAST!

Fred

The-Malefic
28-09-2007, 01:35
According to my black shirt friend, the UK demand was so high, they had less available to ship to the US than they meant to. But some still went.

Lyinar
28-09-2007, 01:38
I pre-ordered mine the day it hit the online store. When I ordered it, there were 104 left that were being sold in the US Online Store.

The next day, there were 33 left.

scrubout
28-09-2007, 01:41
I'd better get my pre-ordered one (day it came out w/180+/- left) or heads will roll...it's my new school back pack and I'm tired of carrying my textbooks to class...

-scrubout

wldside
28-09-2007, 01:45
When I ordered mine there were only 12 left on the US store site.

jasdc1
28-09-2007, 02:09
All I know s I better get mine. I jumped on the advanced order as soon as I saw it. I was waiting for it. You know how frustrating it is to check every day, sometime several times, to see if the web page has been updated when you KNOW it is coming and don't want to miss out?

ChaosMaster
28-09-2007, 02:15
I and dozens of other US customers have ordered the Gamer's Edition Backpack at our local GW store. I was the first one in line when the store opened and got my order in even before any of the employees! Certain independent stores like The War Store may not be able to sell it in the US, but it is NOT a UK only deal. There are only a few left at certain retail stores, so better get a move on if you want one. I know that one of my local GW stores still had a few left a few days ago, so you might still be able to find one.

The mailing date for the Gamer's Edition Backpack as well as Direct Only Apocalypse deals is Oct. 3 in the US. This is to ensure that the customers will have it before the big in-store launch of the Baneblade on Oct. 13. There is a coupon in the Gamer's Edition for $5 off each Baneblade you buy the weekend of Oct. 13.

Electrix
28-09-2007, 04:12
I'd better get my pre-ordered one (day it came out w/180+/- left) or heads will roll...it's my new school back pack and I'm tired of carrying my textbooks to class...

-scrubout

Lol, I had the same idea about the backpack, but yeah I leapt on that when my independent retailer said "There is going to be this backpack deal" and I'm a US customer

jdp
28-09-2007, 04:43
Yes, it will be sold in the US by independents, I have twelve coming to my store, so I have to imagine others have good numbers as well. Of course these all had to be preordered a while ago through GW, I doubt there will be extras for ordering come Monday the 1st, the nominal ordering date. Same thing with most of the other limiteds, you had to preorder vortex templates and the like. Hopefully your local fslgs thought ahead and laid in a supply.

Mikhaila
28-09-2007, 05:33
Trade sales in the US actually has a good amount of the backpack coming in. The VP for Trade Sales (sales to independent stores) recognized the popularity and got extra in for the US. As of yesterday, many reps still had some of the backpack allocated to them, and any independent store should have been able to get what they needed. At some point though, extras not needed by trade will go to mailorder, and you'll see some available through mailorder again.

I have 40 pre-ordered at my shop, and 50 coming in. We worked hard on making sure people new about it. Great deal, I think the contents are 84.00, which makes the Backpack an 11.00 item.

The Backpack and other Apocalypse deals were not offered to sub distributors such as Alliance, or to mail order shops such as the Warstore.

fwacho
28-09-2007, 06:30
The hobby store here in dallas is advertising them on it's wall.

Ravenous
28-09-2007, 06:33
We're getting a bunch of them in for people here so they cant be specail order only if retailers can get them.

But then again we can have anything from direct services shipped.

Captain Micha
28-09-2007, 13:01
.......... it's not on the us store anymore.. and I was going to buy it too.. shame on you gw! You should have -known- these things were going to sell.

Egaeus
28-09-2007, 14:27
.......... it's not on the us store anymore.. and I was going to buy it too.. shame on you gw! You should have -known- these things were going to sell.

Shame on them for what, exactly? There were around 250 for pre-sell at the US online store...if you didn't order one when they were available, that's not their fault...as obviously they did sell!

Ravenous
28-09-2007, 14:29
Its wierd that GW is pulling this kind of junk.

First they release whats in the Apoc deals, then a week before release they change it.

Then they are going to do the Gamers deal and then tell you that you cant get without going to them.

Its the old bait and switch, I have only one word for GW regarding this behaviour:

Bogus.

ChaosMaster
28-09-2007, 14:49
Shame on them for what, exactly? There were around 250 for pre-sell at the US online store...if you didn't order one when they were available, that's not their fault...as obviously they did sell!
Yes, great point! I don't understand the assignment of blame to GW if someone missed getting one of these, the Apocalypse Gamer's Edition was not that hard to get if it was available in the GW Online store, GW retail stores, and independent hobby stores. When GW saw the popularity of this item they made it readily available. One of my local stores still had some for sale as late as last weekend. Granted, GW has made some popular items in the past hard to get (e.g., the Urban Basing Kit last year) but they did not pull that stunt with the Gamer's Edition Backpack. This is a huge release and if people really wanted one they could get it. And there are likely a few still available at some stores, so if someone missed out on getting one of these it's only because they must have endlessly procrastinated on ordering it.

Captain Micha
28-09-2007, 15:06
They -should- have -known- they would sell like hot cakes and made an appropriate number of them....

They obviously didn't. What really irks me is it's off the availability at all now.
I didn't procrastinate at all. My pay schedule didn't work out, and I -never- saw it on the online store before it was sold out. literally it was on the main thing about "advance order coming soon" on the apoc preview. and then next thing I know I read about people ordering there's so I think "they finally put it up.. cool" and then bam. nothing.. not even a trace of it on the online store.

And yes, yes I did check the store........... every single day.

ChaosMaster
28-09-2007, 15:37
If you're in the US, try calling the Battle Bunkers and see if they have any left for sale. Perhaps you can purchase one with a credit card over the phone. I know at least one of the Battle Bunkers still had a few left a few days ago. You can find the phone numbers at this link:
http://us.games-workshop.com/shopping/battlebunkers.htm

This Apocalypse Gamer's Edition Backpack deal went on sale back on August 20 in the US. As late as Sept. 22 I know for a fact that there were still some available in at least one store, so this was not so limited that it was gone in one day. August 20 to Sept. 22 is more than a month! If GW made enough for people to have more than a month to find one, then I'd hardly accuse GW of skimping on production in this case. And of course, those customers who knew it would sell well jumped on buying it ASAP to ensure they got one. GW doesn't want to get stuck with a bunch of expensive items that will sit on the shelf for a long time after the excitement of the initial release is done, so at some point, even with making thousands of these, production stops and if one has waited too long then one won't be able to get one. And they did make thousands of them in this case and allotted quite a few of them to the US.

Urza
28-09-2007, 15:55
They -should- have -known- they would sell like hot cakes and made an appropriate number of them....

Have you ever heard of the term Limited Edition?

Because thats what these were. GW never intended for these to be a large release. They were a very special limited edition release to celebrate Apocalypse.

Captain Micha
28-09-2007, 16:11
so now I have to buy the rule book, the templates, the dice seperately.... that's abit aggravating considering how expensive that stuff is

don't get me wrong the back pack part of that deal was awesome too but that was mainly what I was going after the backpack deal for.. was all of that other stuff.

PK89
28-09-2007, 16:23
DONT buy a backpack...

ChaosMaster
28-09-2007, 16:25
Again, see post # 20 above for a possible way to still get a Gamer's Edition Backpack. And if the Bunkers are clean out, try calling some of the smaller GW retail stores.

Note that the Big Gun dice, which go on sale separately on October 13 in the USA, are LIMITED EDITION, so if you're buying them separately from a Gamer's Edition don't hesitate or you'll miss those too.

Captain Micha
28-09-2007, 16:39
definitely on oct 13 right? I suppose I'll be up till midnight on the 12th......

Grazzy
28-09-2007, 16:52
DONT buy a backpack...

Why exactly? They dont look that bad.

Captain Micha
28-09-2007, 16:57
Anyone know when the limited release for the Ig company expires?

Thoth62
28-09-2007, 17:01
When they run out of them? I don't know...

Here in Canada, I'm not sure if the same thing was going on. TBH, at my local store (bunker) the pre-orders started flying off the shelves, so to speak, just this week. I'm not sure how many they have left, but it can't be a whole heck of a lot.

ChaosMaster
28-09-2007, 17:01
There has been no announcement of date that I've been able to get as far as when these Apocalypse bundle deals will end, only that they will. I wouldn't count on them to last into next year. If there's one you really want, even if it's a Direct Only unlimited quantity available deal, I'd get it ASAP since the offer can be pulled at any time GW chooses to do so.

Captain Micha
28-09-2007, 17:07
*sighs*It's so hard justifying that expense.... I'm like "just click the proceed button already" I think it's my wallet crying....

the worst part is I've been saving just for this moment.. and now I'm having a hard time doing it. someone cheer me on.. or try to talk sense into me.. please

I did it.....

foehammer888
28-09-2007, 17:17
so now I have to buy the rule book, the templates, the dice seperately.... that's abit aggravating considering how expensive that stuff is. You do know that, at least in the US, the stuff in the backback is actually cheaper bought separately than when bought with teh backpack? You are charged a couple bucks for the backpack itself.

The thing that surprised me the most is that, at least in the US the Apoc templates are also limited release. How are they supposed to support apoc long-term if you can only get the game supplies for it on pre-order before the actual release?

Foehammer

Captain Micha
28-09-2007, 17:26
I'm not sure... I was just about to mention that actually as I started looking at the Tau deals as well. (thankfully with the exception of the fish and warriors I don't -need- any of them. Though the Cadre would have been nice.. since I need broadsides anyway.... and another hammer head never hurts.... or two... ) I kind of figured it would be, but the backpack would have been nice to have too.

Really they are kind of reasonable things that I feel they should keep. Considering that the force I just bought could literally be -one- Ig 1500pter...
Should they really be all that limited in release? I mean without the templates what good are the rules? And what good are the rules without the army? And not just for apoc. But this would be a great way to get entry into the hobby when you think about it. Instead of buying and paying out the you know what for medium quality minis, you could save abit of cash and do your army in one go. And if you don't like the deal they give you *which is unlikely since there are so many with these "limited releases"* you can pay abit more get a megaforce or battle force and customise from there.

If I had to do my Tau all over again, I would have loooooved for the megaforce to have been availible at the time. If I had had to them all over again now, I would looooved to have the Cadre availible, or even the rapid insertion force, or the interdiction force... get the idea? hint hint nudge, nudge gw. Keep these deals around, you'll sell a ton more models this way.

I'd have had 'eldar' by now if they jetbike buying deal had been availible at the time.. if they keep it around I just might go Eldar.. *oh look I'm spending yet more money.... * and there is no way I'm the only one that feels this way or else they wouldn't have done this in the first place

If all of this stuff is limited release aside from the rulebook why not just make the rulebook a limited release to and just be honest that it's a five minute fad thing?

Egaeus
28-09-2007, 17:34
Really they are kind of reasonable things that I feel they should keep. Considering that the force I just bought could literally be -one- Ig 1500pter...
Should they really be all that limited in release? I mean without the templates what good are the rules?

If all of this stuff is limited release aside from the rulebook why not just make the rulebook a limited release to and just be honest that it's a five minute fad thing?

I wonder if the Templates are in the rulebook? I know the basic templates were for 3rd (haven't looked at my 4th Ed hardback rulebook in a while and they wound't be all that useful in the BfM book :p). Another option would be to have them as a PDF on GW's site.

Of course having the pretty, sturdy, plastic GW-produced templates are nice, they aren't absolutely necessary, are they? I suppose it really depends on the force you plan to field...I would think that you could field a significantly large basic army that didn't use any of those templates.

Captain Micha
28-09-2007, 17:44
yes but accidents happen with beverages, cats, dogs, tearing etc etc... gw still makes the other templates. to me them choosing to 'limited release' makes me wonder just how serious they are really taking all of this.. Especially with all of the shenanigans about what comes in what army set that went on recently

same deal with the Imperial City deal.... that's like the -only- way I can justify buying it. (it being city scapes in general) and they've done two 'limited releases' of it now... why not just be smart and keep it available? All you're doing is putting your extra stuff together and bundling it. It's not like it's costing anymore cash to do it. Maybe I would have had my city done (and starting another) had that deal remained available. Maybe some of us had cash probs at the time. Maybe some of us will now.

Aside from all of that, at least they bothered to do it at all....

Some guy (UK)
28-09-2007, 20:13
I spoke to the UK mail order trolls this week about how long the deals (namely the Leman Russ squadron) were going to last.
He said there wasn't a definate cut off period, but we could expect the smaller/medium deals such as the Leman Russ squadron to last for a while, even well into the new year. Once they run out, he believes they will become direct only deals.

He also implied the bigger deals, like the SM company are until they sell up the ones GW have produced/ are planning to produce.

Also, incase you didn't know that Vortex grenade template is LE.

ChaosMaster
28-09-2007, 21:03
it's not on the us store anymore.. and I was going to buy it too.. shame on you GW! You should have -known- these things were going to sell.
There is definitely no need to complain that GW didn't make enough Gamer's Edition Backpacks. Buy a Gamer's Edition Backpack deal NOW! I just checked with one of the US Battle Bunkers myself and they still have Gamer's Edition Backpack deals for sale at this moment. All you have to do is call, pay over the phone with a credit card, and GW will mail it directly to your home no matter what state you are calling from. Shipments go out October 3. If you need the phone numbers of the US Battle Bunkers, I posted a link to that information in post #20 in this thread. If anyone who still wants this and who hasn't ordered it yet misses out on it now, they definitely will have no one to blame but themselves. This couldn't be any clearer, they are still available and you can buy one now if you still want one. Do it or stop complaining! ;)

By the way, the book is $50, templates $22 and the dice $12, so the huge, high quality backpack with custom patches is only an additional $11. That's an excellent deal IMO.