PDA

View Full Version : c'tan phase sword?

bram kuijpers
28-09-2007, 09:59
what is a phase sword exactly the sword that a callidus assasin uses?

reds8n
28-09-2007, 10:14
A sword.:D

An old C'tan/necrontyr weapon that the imperium has "liberated" from various tomb worlds etc without really knowing what they are or how they work.

There's a story in the Necron codex which suggests they are made of the same living metal as the C'tan body shells, so I guess the weapon could be pretty much any shape you wanted.

What's really wierd is that no model in the Necron army carries one of these weapons.:confused:

LordXaras
28-09-2007, 10:25
What's really wierd is that no model in the Necron army carries one of these weapons.:confused:So Warscythes don't count?

reds8n
28-09-2007, 10:28
sword

Phase swords don't get extra penetration dice vs. vehicles , so must be a different weapon.:p

LexxBomb
28-09-2007, 13:54
think of the swords as an experimental/prototype version that got replaced by the warsythes

Progena
28-09-2007, 14:40
Err... or perhaps as a neat piece of metal that some humans found and made a sword out of?

Luthien
28-09-2007, 14:44
It may be an imperial experiment with living metal that proved successful. The metal it's self being gleaned from various necron tombs and sites of necron raids

Witchfire
28-09-2007, 14:48
cypher has a ctan phase knife at one point and stabs a ctan with it- and it just melts into the ctan's body so its safe to say that the blades are living metal.

LordXaras
28-09-2007, 17:51
sword

Phase swords don't get extra penetration dice vs. vehicles , so must be a different weapon.:pIt is quite petty to focus on a three-word definition of a piece of wargear. The weapon itself being a sword is not important (especially since people like Cypher carry/carried other forms of Necrodermis-based Weaponry), thus I read your question as asking for Phase Weaponry, which there is quite a lot of in the Necron Codex.

If we are going to be nit-picky, the C'tan Phase Sword is a human modification of Necrontyr living metal technology. This is why the Necrons don't use it, and this is why it is not in the Necron Codex.

EDIT: Interesting, you even said it yourself that the weapons can be any shape you want them to be, then reject my suggestion that a Warscythe essentially is the same thing. Does anyone else see what I mean?

reds8n
29-09-2007, 12:49
:), I broadly agree hence the :p I added.

I agree that warscythes do broadly the same thing, but still think it odd that phase weapons other than them aren't available in the list at ll.

RexTalon
29-09-2007, 15:55
cypher has a ctan phase knife at one point and stabs a ctan with it- and it just melts into the ctan's body so its safe to say that the blades are living metal.
No, I think that was just an assassin. If it were cypher, he'd be dead.

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 15:58
No, I think that was just an assassin. If it were cypher, he'd be dead.

it was cypher

Progena
29-09-2007, 17:26
It was both Cypher and an assassin on two different occasions. Cypher's not dead, but the assassin is.

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 17:28
It was both Cypher and an assassin on two different occasions. Cypher's not dead, but the assassin is.

thank you for clarifying that :p

Lord_Squinty
29-09-2007, 17:35
Isnt a C'tan phase knife / sword part of a C'tan Necrodermis??

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 20:53
Isnt a C'tan phase knife / sword part of a C'tan Necrodermis??

yeah, thats why it melded into the ctan body

LordXaras
29-09-2007, 21:27
Actually, it doesn't have to have been part of a C'tan body. The Necrontyr used living metal long before they found the C'tan, thus the metal is found in many places of Necrontyr technology.

downundercadet07
29-09-2007, 21:39
If the phase knife is an imperial bastardization of Necro tech, I wonder how Cypher got his mitts on one? I don't think that the humans really had much contact with the Necrons during the Great Crusade (although I'm sure it happened once or twice), and apparently they don't exist in the state that the callidus temple and others use them in inside the tomb worlds, so Cypher must have knocked off a temple assassin or something to get his right? Since they don't exist like that in the tombs themselves? I doubt Cypher has access to the machines and expertise necessary to modify the metal like the temple armourers apparently do.

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 21:42
If the phase knife is an imperial bastardization of Necro tech, I wonder how Cypher got his mitts on one? I don't think that the humans really had much contact with the Necrons during the Great Crusade (although I'm sure it happened once or twice), and apparently they don't exist in the state that the callidus temple and others use them in inside the tomb worlds, so Cypher must have knocked off a temple assassin or something to get his right? Since they don't exist like that in the tombs themselves? I doubt Cypher has access to the machines and expertise necessary to modify the metal like the temple armourers apparently do.

i bet someone sent an assasin after cypher and it took off from there

downundercadet07
29-09-2007, 21:47
That seems to be the most reasonable explanation, although the assassin probably didn't know who he was gunning for, just some high level chaos marine. Poor bastard.

LordXaras
29-09-2007, 22:04
From the story with Abaddon's Chosen (was it the 3rdEd Chaos Dex or EoT?) we know that Imperial Assassins are given quite a lot of intel regarding their targets. After all, they are an immensely valuable resource - if you hold information back the mission is running a higher risk of being compromised or simply fail.

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 22:19
i agree, in the 2002 chaos codex the assasin team sent to kill abaddon's chosen knew exactly who they were dealing with, as did the assasin sent to kill konrad kurze

Progena
29-09-2007, 22:20
Perhaps Cypher jumped the Assassin? He's a really sneaky guy after all. :P

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 22:21
i think cypher probably knew the asassin was coming and killed him as sooon as he appeared, the assasin thought he'd surprise cypher but got a nasty shock

Progena
29-09-2007, 22:23
What I ment was that perhaps the assassin was sendt to kill someone completly different and Cypher, who happened to be in the neigbourhood, decided he wanted a fancy poker. A sword for a normal human would be little more than a dagger for a Marine.

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 22:26
What I ment was that perhaps the assassin was sendt to kill someone completly different and Cypher, who happened to be in the neigbourhood, decided he wanted a fancy poker. A sword for a normal human would be little more than a dagger for a Marine.

its possible but cypher is a realy high priority to be dealt with, so they wouldnt pass up the chance to have a pop at him

Marsekay
29-09-2007, 23:15
Actually, it doesn't have to have been part of a C'tan body. The Necrontyr used living metal long before they found the C'tan, thus the metal is found in many places of Necrontyr technology.

Is this the same "living metal" on Vulkans arms? did he have "C'tan phase fists"? :)

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 23:22
Is this the same "living metal" on Vulkans arms? did he have "C'tan phase fists"? :)

i think you mean ferrus mannus and if so then yes.

ferrus killed a c'tan construct with his bare hands and got coolio fists and eyes as a result

Kiro
29-09-2007, 23:27
ferrus killed a c'tan construct with his bare hands and got coolio fists and eyes as a result

Well, nobody ever explicitly said he killed a C'tan....
;)

I don't think an assassin was deliberately sent after Cypher. After all, the Dark Angels work as damn hard as they can to keep knowledge of the Fallen a secret. Running to the Officio Assassinorum kind of negates all that effort. My money is on an assassin being sent after someone Cypher was working for/with and Cypher taking out said agent....maybe after completing their mission :evilgrin:

Marsekay
29-09-2007, 23:29
oh yeah sorry, ferrus mannus, i apologise for getting them mixed up!

Witchfire
29-09-2007, 23:32
Well, nobody ever explicitly said he killed a C'tan....
;)

I don't think an assassin was deliberately sent after Cypher. After all, the Dark Angels work as damn hard as they can to keep knowledge of the Fallen a secret. Running to the Officio Assassinorum kind of negates all that effort. My money is on an assassin being sent after someone Cypher was working for/with and Cypher taking out said agent....maybe after completing their mission :evilgrin:

not a c'tan, a c'tan construct which took the form of a metal serpent on his homeworld

Marsekay
29-09-2007, 23:33
not a c'tan, a c'tan construct which took the form of a metal serpent on his homeworld

sounds like a wraith.
kinda a serpent with shoulders....

downundercadet07
29-09-2007, 23:40
That was more what I meant about the assassin. The secretiveness of the DA chapter probably means that the assassin didn't realize his target was fallen number one zero zero. Nobody had probably tipped him off to the fact that bad stuff happens to your face when Cy is around.

Tulun
30-09-2007, 00:00
How did Cypher even escape from a C'tan? lol. You'd think he'd have gone *stab*..... ineffective... Crushed!

MadDoc
30-09-2007, 00:32
How did Cypher even escape from a C'tan? lol. You'd think he'd have gone *stab*..... ineffective... Crushed!

How does Cypher escape from anywhere?

*poof* and he's gone

Tulun
30-09-2007, 00:33

*poof* and he's gone

Well, that's sort of lame. Chaos god help, tele-porta? lol.

MadDoc
30-09-2007, 00:38
Well, that's sort of lame. Chaos god help, tele-porta? lol.

Technically, its never actually specified who whisks him to safety...

LexxBomb
30-09-2007, 09:15
ok firstly we dont know if Ferrus killed a c'tan or a construct. gw has never said which one and we only started interpreting the story that way after the introduction of the second generation of necrons.

cypher had the phase knife long before the necrons were an army and the ctan were just a foot note in history. shortly after the introduction of the ctan leading the necrons cypher lost his knife and suddenly got the ability to shoot his plasma pistol in close combat.
fluff wise i had always thought that cypher had raided a ctan relic world because thats what they were back then.

Witchfire
30-09-2007, 09:27
Technically, its never actually specified who whisks him to safety...

oh god i hope its the webway, that would be so cool

ok firstly we dont know if Ferrus killed a c'tan or a construct. gw has never said which one and we only started interpreting the story that way after the introduction of the second generation of necrons.

cypher had the phase knife long before the necrons were an army and the ctan were just a foot note in history. shortly after the introduction of the ctan leading the necrons cypher lost his knife and suddenly got the ability to shoot his plasma pistol in close combat.
fluff wise i had always thought that cypher had raided a ctan relic world because thats what they were back then.

would it be justifyable to put cypher in a necron apocalypse army?
i suppose it wouldnt look too bad compared to the necron baneblade :D

and i think it will be specified in the HH books eventually, how many are they making?

LexxBomb
30-09-2007, 09:32
well when it comes to the fall I want the book to be written from the point of view of Captain Astelan the fallen from Angels of Darkness

Witchfire
30-09-2007, 09:35
well when it comes to the fall I want the book to be written from the point of view of Captain Astelan the fallen from Angels of Darkness

thats another good point, will GW reveal the dark history of the DA? the secret that has been kept since it happned?

anyway, we'd better get back on topic before they release the mods :(

Progena
30-09-2007, 10:45

Seem to remember he stabbed the Deciever. Sure, the Nightbringer would just go "Reapingtime" if someone tried to stab him, but the Deciever seems to have asoft spot for people who have a habit of creating cunfusion and tricking people.

-"Dude, we like totally captured Cypher!" :D
-"Awesome dude! Like... where did he go?" :wtf:

Ergo, he goes free... for all I know the Deciever might be Cyphers patron...

LexxBomb
30-09-2007, 10:51
I thought he ran into a portaL evading death by necron

Lord_Squinty
30-09-2007, 12:37

*poof* and he's gone

Cypher IS Kayser Soze!!!!!!
Well, that explains a LOT!!
:D

bram kuijpers
30-09-2007, 17:02
back to the point...

so the c,tan phase sword is a stolen sword from the necrons?

Witchfire
30-09-2007, 17:38
back to the point...

so the c,tan phase sword is a stolen sword from the necrons?

i seriously doubt it, the only things the necrons used phases on are warscythes and the occasional special blade like the nightbringer's scythe. phase swords are most likely an imperial barstardization of c'tan technology and necrodermis

bram kuijpers
30-09-2007, 17:54
so necrons simply forgot copyright?

jb85
30-09-2007, 18:17
i seriously doubt it, the only things the necrons used phases on are warscythes and the occasional special blade like the nightbringer's scythe. phase swords are most likely an imperial barstardization of c'tan technology and necrodermis

Not necessarily, the blade could be an older weapon superseded by the Warscythe or be one than is utilised by a currently unseen/unrecorded class of Necron. The wording of the Deathwatch IA article would suggest that an actual C'tan Phase Sword was found and the Imperiumís supply is from further discoveries of weapon caches or reverse engineering of the blade.

Gazak Blacktoof
30-09-2007, 18:38
It could be a ceremonial weapon.

The Imperium must have a stock or some small manufacturing ability to keep giving them to their assassins though.

Witchfire
30-09-2007, 18:48

The Imperium must have a stock or some small manufacturing ability to keep giving them to their assassins though.

thats what i was thinking, its unlikely that these blades keep being found at such i high rate, and the c'tan would probably retreive those left lying around if they thought the imperium might get their shiny toys :chrome:

BigRob
30-09-2007, 19:39
If the Imperium are making re-casts of the phase sword just wait til the Necrons IP Lawyers get on it, boy they'll be in trouble:p:p

I always thought it was created by the imperium from alien technology. Otherwise there would have to be a big ole chache of these swordskicking round the tomb world for the imperials to thieve, or in other words, how many assassins are there with a phase sword?

Witchfire
30-09-2007, 19:55
If the Imperium are making re-casts of the phase sword just wait til the Necrons IP Lawyers get on it, boy they'll be in trouble:p:p

I always thought it was created by the imperium from alien technology. Otherwise there would have to be a big ole chache of these swordskicking round the tomb world for the imperials to thieve, or in other words, how many assassins are there with a phase sword?

how long is a piece of string?

the imperium is a big, BIG,BIG,BIG place.

and i would think that the courts would rule the necron claim to phase stuff a monopoly of the uber-killy-deathsword market and would anounce phaseness open source :p

LexxBomb
01-10-2007, 04:10
what about the idea of the void dragon on mars and his palls in the Adeptus Mecanicus. maybe its through him that the imperium has the phase sword

Tehkonrad
01-10-2007, 06:07
Nice conspiracy theories here
although the truth is...

it was stolen from the necron tomb worlds (the metal that is)
and bastardized by ad-mechs

or if you want the conspiracy truth...

NINJAS!!!!!

bram kuijpers
01-10-2007, 08:01
ninjas stole a tomb world???!!!

Witchfire
01-10-2007, 15:12
what about the idea of the void dragon on mars and his palls in the Adeptus Mecanicus. maybe its through him that the imperium has the phase sword

that actually makes a heck of a lot of sense

sulla
01-10-2007, 21:23

Only if you assume that every callidus assassin gets a C'Tan Phase blade and a neuro disruptor when they enter their temple doors for the first time.

Perhaps those weapons can just be seen as metaphors for the exotic and bizarre weapons a callidus assassin might be issued with. For example, one assassin may have a phase blade and neuro disruptor while another has a Jokaero hand c-beamer and umbra-essence spheres. Yet another may have a half dozen miniaturised vortex grenades and a laserblade or a warp-portal sword...

In other words, just because the game simplifies the equipment of assassins and inquisitors, doesn't mean they have anything resembling standard equipment IMO.

bram kuijpers
02-10-2007, 05:23
so assasins all have their own personel weapons?

RexTalon
02-10-2007, 05:59
Death Cult ones sure do.

Tehkonrad
02-10-2007, 08:28
Ninjas don't just steal tomb worlds they steal background and replace it with retcons, they steal chaos dwarfs and hide them, they are responsible for everything at least vaguely mysterios, they are NINJAS!!

Necrotyr18
03-10-2007, 23:33
My belief behind a C'tan phase sword is a fragment or shard of a destroyed C'tan. That was then sculpted into a sword capible of unimmaginable damage and pain. MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA:skull:

Sekhmet
04-10-2007, 00:40
Maybe they found a gigantic chunk of living metal and decided to see what would happen if they made a weapon out of it... and the phase sword was born? It wouldn't be as effective as a warscythe because the material wasn't made specifically to be a blade.

The Warmaster
04-10-2007, 10:03
Here's my take on the origins of the Phase Sword.

Personally, I don't agree with the whole "Imperium shaping the Necrodermis" thing. As someone mentioned in some other thread on here, the Necrons we see are most likely the "soul-harvesters", and not their actual "military" (if such a term could be applied*). And, as this theory (which I agree with) indicates that there may be classes of Necrons that we have not yet seen, the C'Tan Phase Sword could possibly be utilized by one of these unknown classes.

- N.

* Before anyone goes and says "there's Necron Warriors", just remember that term is merely an Imperial classification, and does not indicate that they are indeed the Necron warrior class.

bram kuijpers
05-10-2007, 08:39
hmm so it isnt writtin somewhere?