PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a challenging army to play...

ChrisAsmadi
28-09-2007, 20:08
Back about seven years ago, I started Wood Elves, back when they were fragile and helluva hard to use. With the new 'dex, I find that this is less so. So, I ask of you, which armies are most challenging to use?

grickherder
28-09-2007, 20:18
Some people find Orcs & Goblins challenging because they are so unreliable and random. Beasts of Chaos aren't too easy to use.

Hvidponi
28-09-2007, 20:23
That one is hard... Dark Elves?

Other not so easy armies to play; Ogre Kingdoms... Tomg Kings... Vampire Counts Lhamia?...

I have played all theese... Dark elves must be the hardest to make a really abusive army with, but they also got alot of cool options... Hard hittting cavalry/chariots but with stupidity... Powerful magic, but with close ranges...

ChrisAsmadi
28-09-2007, 20:41
I would prefer not to go other Elves, and quite frankly, Ogre Kingdoms can go straight to hell. I still have hate for them due to the delaying of my precious woodies.

Angel of the Black Parade
28-09-2007, 21:38
I find my Empire difficult to use, but I might just be crap :p

Orcs and Gobbos and skaven are though, according to my friends

Urgat
28-09-2007, 21:47
All night gobblin army ( without skarsnik, of course :p ). Now that's not an easy army to play.

gorenut
28-09-2007, 22:51
If you want to stay elves, then I'd say Dark Elves. There are already plenty of moanings about HE being overpowered with their new army book.

chivalrous
28-09-2007, 22:58
How about a gunpowder free, foot-slogging Empire Army i.e. no cannons, mortars or rockets; No Pistoliers, Outriders or Knights.

How about a Bretonnian Peasant army with only 1 unit of knights for every 2 units of peasants (not including archers) where each Men-At-Arms unit must be at least 25 strong (including reliquae).

I still think that you're missing the greatest challenge of all avoiding Dark Elves though. They certainly take the most thought and coordination to play successfully.

Hvidponi
28-09-2007, 23:02
If you want something other than elves I would say the undeads (tomb kings and vampire counts) are hard to play, just dont overload on magic or make the flying circus...

I think orcs are easy, especially now with even cheaper and better rank and files, and animosity has become more of an advantage than a disadvantage, with the waaargh rule and so forth...

Skaven can be a challegence, but if you take the machine gun approach its more a matter of luck... the horde needs some tactics to work thou... you rarely win 1 unit versus 1 unit...

or just stop using barkskin in your woodies... use eternal guards ;)

My best bids anyways...

He Who Is Him
29-09-2007, 01:04
Dogs of war are a great "challenging" army to play. Serious lack of magic items and having a paymaster (I hate that little money grubber) are some definite challenges to over come, but they can be and you can make a really great army with as much fluff as you like.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
29-09-2007, 11:54
Well a full goblin army is certainly a tough army to use altough a good player can have many succes with it.

Greetz
G

GranFarfar
29-09-2007, 12:48
I general I find horde armies a bit more challangeing than elite. Takes more to coordiante all those units.

Heretic Burner
29-09-2007, 16:12
O&G are currently the most challenging army to win with. They aren't, however, particularly fun to play and animosity is so completely random this edition it likely isn't an army that fits your idea of using a degree of skill to help in an underdog role.

You might consider dark elves or beasts of chaos if that is your thing. Both should satisfy you to a much greater degree.

KingTut
29-09-2007, 20:07
Tomb Kings are a hard army to get to grips with at first.

huitzilopochtli
29-09-2007, 20:45
tomb kings are a pain to get used to.

however for REALLY difficult armies i'd say all night goblin armies. unpredictable and very prone to panic.

kyussinchains
29-09-2007, 20:52
I reckon tomb kings are about as close to a beginner's army as warhammer gets!, their magic is simple, you're not affected by a bunch of negative spells and magic items (that elf one which gives -3 to casting roll for example) no miscasts, the bowmen always hit on 5's regardless of modifiers...

not saying they're bad, but I think they're easy to start (I personally think they're awesome, and I'd start collecting them if my friend didnt already)