PDA

View Full Version : What's your poison?

Inquisitor Engel
02-09-2005, 03:00
What gets you drunk?

Obviously that's a complex question. Many people drink to get drunk, some people drink for the taste, and some take the taste and take the getting drunk as a pleasant (or unpleasant) side effect.

I imlore ye, veritable citizens of Portent, answer me these questions!

Beer - What's your favourite beer, for casual drinking or for getting one drunk? Stouts and ales are included in this category.
Liquor - The hard stuff. What do you prefer for shots and to use for mixes? What mixes?
Mixes - Everyone has a guilty pleasure. What's the girly drink you love for the taste and take the drunkeness with pleasure?
Miscellanious - Anything else I've not covered.
State the answer, and why you prefer it, and share any stories associated with said drinks.*

Knock yourselves out, my answers will be along shortly.

*All stories must be Warseer appropriate. Names changes are optional.

Adept
02-09-2005, 03:07
Beer - Toohey's Old Black Ale.

Spirits - Straight Tequila.

Mixed drink - Jellyfish.

Other - Cigarettes.

Xhalax
02-09-2005, 03:18
Only ever been off my face once and that was after shots of brandy....and lots of them.

And NEVER AGAIN coz it all tastes like crap to me. I have much more fun sober. I do crazy things while sober but manage not to hurt myself but still have a laugh.

Nazerth
02-09-2005, 03:45
Beer - For taste, Guiness or Alexander Keith's, to get drunk, Canadian, because of 2 doller draft night at my favourite bar... though beer will rarely ever get me drunk, for that I need...

Liquor - Whisky for shots or just on the rocks, vodka for mixings. Hell, anything mixes with vodka! And if not, then I go on to my good friend Captain Morgan.

Mixes - Singapore Sling... such a girly drink, but 'tis good!

Misc. - My Sweet Death. This is the shot that almost gave me alcohol poisoning! What you need: A 2 oz shot glass, a can of Diet Coke with lime, Canadian Whisky, Raspberry Sour Puss, Smirnoff Ice Triple Black, and Smirnoff Twisted Raspberry. Pour a small amount of coke into the shot glass, follow up with 1 third of whisky, then 1 third of Raspberry sour puss. Top it off with an equal mix of both Smirnoff creations. Then take the shot like a man, dammit! Hah, I can remember the night, up until I ran out of whisky (after about 20 or so shots for myself)... apparently I kept making new shots, but of what, why and how many more I have no idea.

Crazy Harborc
02-09-2005, 03:45
Beers...........British, Aussie,........oh yeah, American too :D I do like"...??....Irish Red".

The "hard stuff"??? R.U.M. I like Virgin island rum. It's imported into the USA and bottled by McCormick and sold under their label.

Um.....back to beers. Two local restaurants have a German import and an Italian beer. Can't think of the darn names :(

The Phoenix
02-09-2005, 03:50
Beer: Newcastle Brown Ale

Liquor: Gin, preferably Tanquery 10

Mixes: Gin martini, straigt up, shaken, 2 oz gin, 1 tsp dry vermouth, ice that's at least a day old and a blue cheese stuffed olive.

Other: Cavit pinot grigio (wine)

-Phoenix

Yog Sogoth
02-09-2005, 03:59
Beer: newcastle/corona

Spirits: tequila

Mixed: jack and coke

Other: red wine. (I'm going to butcher this spelling) boujele?

Alco Engineer
02-09-2005, 03:59
Beer: Coopers Sparkling Ale (tops the list), VB for the more domesticated of us, Heiniken or Becks if I'm feeling rich, Guiness or Kilkenny if I'm skipping lunch. (On one occasion I did scull a pint(imperial) of guiness....bad idea. 2 minutes later it was back in the glass.

Spirits: Bourbon and scotch are picks 1 and 2. Rum's good too and the 17y.o. brandy we make at work is exquisute.

Port is fantastic. Australia needs to get back into fortified wines. the markets slumping and my job depends on it. And they get you really drunk and they go down really easy. Plus cheap one's can leave you with a rotten headache.

Cocktails. I'd rather a normal drink I think

Oh and Red wine. A couple of bottles of Wynns Coonawarra white on black go down very nicely. (I don't mind it out of a cask either)

Inquisitor Engel
02-09-2005, 04:20
I shall now impart my answers -

1 - Beer. I enjoy pretty much any non-American beer for casual drinking. The only American beer I can stomach (and as actually quite nice) is Sam Adam's, specifically the Christmas Rasberry Brew, but even standard Sam is great. For cheap beers to get you drunk, nothing beats a Corona and a lime.

2. If I'm just taking shots, I'll stick to Vodka. For mixers I can do most things, though I'm not a big fan of gin or whiskey to be honest. At least the kind of whiskey I can afford. :( I do so enjoy Vodka Martini's... :)

3. My guilty pleasure - despite several people's urge to shout "BREEZAH!" at me, I have to confess my love of Mai-Tai's and Strawberry Daquiri's. I make a mean Daquiri, but only with the frozen strawberries and ice, none of this pre-done mix crap.

4 - I don't do anything else, at all. I steer clear of drugs of any kind, and well, both of my Dad's parents died messy, messy deaths due to lung cancer, so I'm off any kind of smoking for life.

Alco Engineer
02-09-2005, 04:31
For cheap beers to get you drunk, nothing beats a Corona and a lime.

Coronas cheap?? Down here in Oz you're looking at close to $70 a carton for Coronas and normal beers about $30-35 a carton! I guess that's the import duty.

A mate of mine has hypothesised that Coronas are jus Fosters we sell to the mexicans "recycled" and sold back to us.

NB: No self respecting Aussie actually drink Fosters. It is purely a myth by Fosters and CUB to get foreigners drinking it. If you ask for it on tap in an Australian pub you'll be laughed at.

Nurgling Chieftain
02-09-2005, 05:00
Rum - for all occasions. :D

Yorkiebar
02-09-2005, 05:15
Beer - What's your favourite beer, for casual drinking or for getting one drunk? Stouts and ales are included in this category.
Liquor - The hard stuff. What do you prefer for shots and to use for mixes? What mixes?
Mixes - Everyone has a guilty pleasure. What's the girly drink you love for the taste and take the drunkeness with pleasure?
Miscellanious - Anything else I've not covered.
Beer has to be either Super Bock (some weird beer I found in Portugal), or Guiness.

Liquor is straight vodka.

No mixes really.

As for other stuff, vodka jelly springs to mind. Like normal jelly, but made with vodka instead of water.

violenceha
02-09-2005, 07:19
Beer - anything that's not light, but i prefer Guiness
liquor - back when i used to work an early morning shift i'd drink half a bottle of either vodka or stoneys mac (depending on how much cash i had) then go to work, kept me warm most of the morning. now of course my sponsor is woodstock bourban and cola, i combine this with the occasional shot of cough syrup and panadol, and manage to get tipsy. i haven't actually managed to get properly drunk for ages. i really should go back to drinking op rum and those bottles of port that are like 2 bucks for 2 litres, that'd do the trick i reckon

Adlan
02-09-2005, 07:27
Beer - Anything Local, Beer that Travels well isn't good beer. So at the moment a godd wherry ale. when I was in Ireland Guniness
Liquor - Rum
Mixes - Rum and Gingerbeer
Miscellanious - Fentamens Gingerbeer.

samael
02-09-2005, 07:39
What gets you drunk?

Hardly anything.

But my drink of choice is beer, not pilsner, beer.

Alternatively I'll drink ouzo, or just everything whith aniseed (sp?) in it, wodka or absinth.

berzerka
02-09-2005, 08:28
1. mostly local beer called grolsch or brouwmeester.

2.I like tequila. gets me very drunk.

dont drink mixes, because I dont like them.

Charax
02-09-2005, 08:29
Beer - Can't stand it, in any form. It really does make me want to hurl. I can keep a Bud or two down, though, when I must.

Spirits - Limoncello. My Uncle makes it from lemons he grows (he has a lemon grove in Italy) - it's great. Absinthe is also one of my favourites, when I can afford it. Tequila's not bad. Do aftershocks count as a spirit?

Mixers - any girly drink you care to mention.

Misc. - No idea.

Funny stories? On my 18th I spent £300 on drinks for me and a friend and didnt get out of bed for the next week. Other than that I rarely drink.

ScouserInExile
02-09-2005, 08:35
Beer: anything cheap and fizzy. I hate "premium" beers like Stella and Kronemborg, they all give me headaches

Spirits: Vodka, never neat though, which brings mo on to...

Mixers: vodka and Coke - regular coke only, diet makes me sick

Misc: wine - red or white; coke (not the cola kind, if you catch my drift...)

Eldacar
02-09-2005, 08:37
Beer: Corona. But then, I'm not much of a beer-drinker, funnily enough. I prefer my spirits.

Spirits: Any, really. They all taste pretty damn good. However, Vodka and Whiskey are pretty good.

Mixers: No idea.

Misc: I don't do drugs or anything like that. Nor do I smoke.

Sai-Lauren
02-09-2005, 09:18
I'm pretty much if it contains alcohol, I'll drink it :D
However, I also have the twin problems of a fairly high alcohol tolerance, and the fact that after a certain point, I'll lose the taste for it, so it's rare I've been utterly trashed.
But
1) For preference, bitter. I've got a liking for ales, especially some of the irish ones, and there's some places where it's Guinness. Cider on a warm day, but I'll drink lager if there's nothing else.

2) Spirits - Vodka or Whisky for preference, but again, if it has alcohol...

3) Girly drinks? So that's anything with Bailey's then :D (had a stag evening a while back where every other drink was Baileys cocktails- that was a heavy night :eek: )

Nameless One
02-09-2005, 09:20
The funny thing with beer (or pilsner) is that it has so many flavours for so many situations.

When I am in bars or pubs I mostly drink what's on tap whether that is Grolsch or Heineken. I can drink both. ;)

In summer my favourite beer has to be Hoegaarden witbier (http://www.guido.be/tooldata/Documents/web_HoegaardenPint.gif) (without the lime) perfect when sitting on a sunny terrace. Or a Corona. (which neither is a cheap beer here).

Btw did you know that Mexicans do not ever drink their beers with a piece of lime? They used to add it to the bottle so that people could clean their bottle with it. :)

At home I now discovered Alfa pilsner I prefer it above Heineken at the moment.

During winter I like Kanon, a special beer from Grolsch. Because I want it to remain special I only drink it once in a while.

Liquor: I solely drink whiskey when I am feeling depressed and want to get in a bit of a haze. Next to that I can only swallow the cheap stuff. Once drank a bottle of Johhny walker gold/black label and it was a total waste of money. Far too strong to my liking.

Mixes: I am not really into mixes. Generally I don't like sweet drinks at all. However I recently discovered the tequila sunrise which can be a nice addition on a barbecue. :)

Misc: What about whine? I like to sip a glass of Rosť in summer or spring. And I occcasionally drink red whine but it is mostly during dinner but never drink it on parties or what so ever.

samael
02-09-2005, 09:27
During winter I like Kanon, a special beer from Grolsch. Because I want it to remain special I only drink it once in a while.

Remind me to bring a couple of them to the next Slaugther/Portent tournament and feed them to Lav, should be fun. :D

Fusion
02-09-2005, 09:30
1- Beer? Carlton Draught. Sure, the taste is somewhat average, but as a student, it's all I can afford most of the time. Then of course there's Geelong Bitter... AU$4.50 for a jug at some bars in Melbourne. I'll drink to that!

2- When I have the money, I like to go to to the Melbourne Supper Club and drink fine whisky. With about 30-40 on the list, I still haven't found one that is exactly to my taste just yet.

3- I avoid pre-mixes like there's no tomorrow. I still can't stomach the taste of the ubiquitous Lime UDL after the infamous U/16 cricket grand final win...waking up in a wheel barrow at the age of 15 is not recommended.

4- A glass of tokay always goes down well with a nice cigar, but then that's when I have money. The last time this happened was a long time ago, and I'm not sure if it actually happened. Folk-lore? Perhaps.

highmarshaldave
02-09-2005, 09:38
Beer: Guinness. Oh yeah, for the taste, the colour and that "meal inna glass" feeling. I also like stella, miller and bud (but only bottled).

Liquor: Sambuca or Jack, methinks.

Mixes: Jack and coke, or Blu-Ray. What is Blu-Ray (aside from a new form of HD-DVD). Well, its a 1-1-2 mixture of Sambuca, Smirnoff Vodka (blue label if possible) and WKD Blue.

Other: Erm. . . I may, may, have been known to dabble in a wee bitty hash. But dats all! No other drugs, and nothing like wine or whatever.

Dave out.

hairyman
02-09-2005, 09:42
1. Guinness. Always guinness.
2. Vodka, straight out of the freezer.
3. White Russians. As far as dodgy drinks go, a friend and I used to polish off a bottle of eggnog every christmas....
4. Other stuff? Errr..... :angel:

Yodhrin
02-09-2005, 10:07
Beer - Nothing beats a pint of Deuchars IPA, it's just lovely. Slightly sweet with a little bite in the aftertaste. Only if it's slightly cool though, you should never serve an ale chilled like those gnat-**** American beers. Sorry guys, but it's just weak, I spent two hours in a bar in the US last year wondering why the hell I wasnt drunk yet, turns out your lagers are about a third as strong as ours.

Spirit - There is nothing in this world that comes close to a good single malt. My particular favourites are Talisker and Laphroaig, although Im quite partial to many of the Islay and Speyside malts. The Highland and Lowland malts, as well as the grain whiskys and the blends dont suit me. I cannot stand Bourbon(which is odd, as Laphroaig is aged in casks which once held american bourbon) or Irish whiskey for that matter.

Mixed - I cant drink that stuff. Cocktails and those rancid alco-pops just make me feel sick, too sweet.

Guilty Pleasure - I love Lucky Strikes. They're hard to get around here, but a couple of tobacconists in the town center sometimes have a couple of cartons in stock and I always buy one when I can, they go really well with the abovementioned whiskys.

Crube
02-09-2005, 10:14
Beer - Lager - Aldi's own brand is surprisingly good.... failing that, the cheapest on tap at the bar - I cant see the point in payng twice as much for something that tastes pretty much the same

Liquor - Vodka, occasionally a nice whiskey courtesy of my dad

Mixers - another vodka - (cant stand it diluted with anything

girly drink - Most cocktails really. Went on a Europen Cruise where they had a cocktail of th day everyday, so by 2pm everyday, me and Mrs Crube were very happy...except the day when the cocktail had coffee in it - then we hit the beer....

Anything else - no, sorry

Pez
02-09-2005, 10:28
Beer - Black Sheep's Riggwelter. It's like a lovely stout ale, and the name literally means 'a sheep lying on its back that can't get up'.

Spirit - Sambuca. Despite being, for all intents and purposes, the devil's spittle, this gets me wa-hasted.

Mixer - Jack & Coke. Sweet'n'simple.

Anything else - maybe it's just me, but a bag of pork scratchings goes really well with almost anything.

Gaebriel
02-09-2005, 10:51
4. chocolate - and I get into a state of drunk by that, too...

Vaya
02-09-2005, 10:57
Beer: Basically anything. But I'm pretty allergic to Oranjeboom.

Spirit: Whisky. MacAllen 18 is great (but expensive), but Glenfiddich is great too.

Mix: 'Brown Bear'. That's a mix of Vodka and (don't laugh) chocolate milk. You all probably know the Dutch make the best chocolate milk in the world. And if you didn't you do now. Goes well with all liquor, but best with Vodka.

And as far as Kanon from Grolsch goes: there's a ridiculous amount of sugar in that one, which will get anybody drunk in no time. Don't know anybody who drank more than 3 of those buggers.

The boyz
02-09-2005, 11:02
My favourite pint at the moment is probably Guinness, but I am trying to cut down on what I drink so I tend to only have a thew pints and then thats it.

I like most real Ales except for Sharps (they taste poo). I like a beer by St Austell brewery called HSD thats fairly strong, but if I am going to get drunk then I just drink lots of what I am drinking at the time.

I dont really have a favourite spirit, I dont really drink them. But I do have the occasional Captain Morgan and coke, that tastes quite nice.

I drink or used to drink alot of Port, But I dont really drink a great deal of it anymore.

spawn
02-09-2005, 14:11
Beer: I like beer... Alot.. and lots of 'm too. Favourites include "Kasteel" (belgium) (hard drugs beer style, like the afor mentioned "Kanon"), "la Chouffe" (belgium)and "Augustijn grand cru"(belgium), but I"ll probably drink whatever is available. I really like the greek beer "Mythos" too. I think it is save to say the belgiums are the beermasters of the universe.

Strong: Whiskey (scotch)

Mixed: G&T (gin and tonic). Get the job done quickly.

Misc: Absinth with plenty sugar, Makes me and my girlfriend mad like monkeys! :D

Yodhrin
02-09-2005, 14:17
Strong: Whiskey (scotch)

*nitpick* It's spelt without the E when referring to Scotch, Whiskey is Irish or American :D *nitpick*

vforvenator
02-09-2005, 14:23
Beer: I am not exactly a fan, but I'll go a Guinness if I'm really thirsty. Ale is good, though - the best one I've had was called Hobgoblin.
Strong: Glenfiddich whisky or Cap'n Morgan dark rum. White rum is completely overrated, it's like grapefruit juice.
Mix: All of the above.
Misc: Absinth is great too.
Me and couple of friends tried to do the Withnail and I game once, but I can't remember who won, or indeed much else.

devolutionary
02-09-2005, 14:48
aaaaaaaaaaaaaalcohol :)

I'm a simple man. Am yet to find a spirit I can't stomach, though some brands I despise (burn in hell Johnny Walker!)

However, for the list;

Beer - Bravara. Good stuff. Crazy Brazilian beer :D
Liquor - If I have to pick something, it'd be Vodka. Whisky is not poison, it is the very essence of life itself, and it'd be an insult to merely refer to it as "liquor" :p
Mixer - *mutters quietly* baileys and milk... what?! Come on, you can drink it by the bucket load!
Misc - Tie between a good red wine (my usual these days) and a backdraft. It's technically a cocktail, but it'll get ya head spinnin nicely.

x-esiv-4c
02-09-2005, 14:56
Duvel
Vodka
Duvel+Vodka
methanol

Vaya
02-09-2005, 15:05
... :eek:

I'll come to your funeral, x-esiv... :cries:

x-esiv-4c
02-09-2005, 15:07
Hehe, live a little! We spend the rest of the time dead :)

Vaya
02-09-2005, 15:40
Well, as long as nobody can prove anything on that point... Bottoms up! :D

Crazy Harborc
02-09-2005, 18:13
Oh yes, the experts will tell you to allow the drink to rest a moment, allow wine to "breathe" before drinking................. ;) Hey, there is only sooo much time before last call :evilgrin:

Thud
02-09-2005, 18:22
Beer - Guinness. Not including stouts; either Hansa pilsner or Tuborg GrÝn. Singha (Thai beer) is also great.
Liquor - Smirnoff Vodka.
Mixes - Nope. Honestly. I don't mix stuff.
Miscellanious - Weed.

strv
02-09-2005, 18:38
Cider, thats all, never goten drunk those :angel: since i'm under 18. and don't think it would be so exiting to be drunk

Guido le Wombat
02-09-2005, 18:46
Everyone knows wine is best drank straight from the bottle, preferably with the aid of a straw to let air back into the bottle :)

x-esiv-4c
02-09-2005, 18:54
Liquor - Smirnoff Vodka.

....Heretic.

Crube
02-09-2005, 19:32
2- When I have the money, I like to go to to the Melbourne Supper Club and drink fine whisky. With about 30-40 on the list, I still haven't found one that is exactly to my taste just yet.

My honeymoon was spent in Scotland (Outer Hebredes actually - beautiful place...)

Anyway, at my wedding reception, the bar of the place we were at had 57 different whiskys

The bar on the way back had 82... :eek:

(I only tried a couple..)

bertcom1
02-09-2005, 19:46
I ph34r b33r.

Rocket Fuel is teh win!

Odin
02-09-2005, 20:01
Beer - Difficult to say really, I like real beer, not that carbonated urine known as lager. Current favourite is probably Blandford Fly - nice gingery tang to it. Also the Coffee beer from the Meantime brewery in Greenwich. Each pint has the equivalent of a double shot of espresso IIRC, which makes for a very interesting kind of drunk. I do like Belgian beers as well - Framboise being a particular favourite.

Liquor - Scotch. Single Malt. Lagavulin is probably my all-time favourite, a nice peaty, smoky Islay malt. tequila is also good if you're on a night out - gets me drunk and keeps me going somehow.

Mixes - White Russian or Black Russian (the proper one - without Coke). Had to try a White Russian after watching the Big Lebowski, and I've been drinking them ever since.

Miscellaneous - Wine, which you seem to have missed from your options. Favourite would have to be Faustino V (1996), a very nice, smooth Rioja. Oh, and there are some great English wines available - check out New Wave Wines. The Empire Zest, Bacchus, Fume and the Chapel Down cavas in particular.

More Miscellaneous - I really like hot alcoholic drinks in the winter. Mulled wine, mulled mead, mulled cider... I have a recipe for mulled ale but I've not yet been brave enough to try it! I also make a mean hot rum punch.

Even More Miscellaneous - Mead. When I was at University and went to parties, there was always this bloke who would turn up with several bottles of homemade mead. Never could remember his name (probably because of the mead!), we just knew him as "Mead Man".

Captain Brown
02-09-2005, 20:11
Beer - Well I like Canadian Beer (just about every brand) cold.

Liquor - Navy=rum=Captain Brown's favourite (I can pretty well drink it like water). Have been known to indulge in Vodka, some Gin, Vermouth, etc.

Mixes - Long Island Ice Tea.

Miscellaneous - Never accept a drinking challenge from a 5 foot tall French-Canadian gal who wants to do Tequila. You cannot win, even of you have twice her body weight...then you will get sick and she will run around shouting about defeating the 'Inglesh'. You may have fun after that, but the head-ache the next morning really hurts.

Captain Brown

redemptionist15
02-09-2005, 23:25
Beer-I particularly enjoy a nice pint of Leffe blanc, or Newcie Brown, off the tap Carlsberg Export is normally my choice of poison.

Liquor- Its gotta be Jack Daniels, can't beat some nice whisky, other than i love Absinthe.

Mixes- Blue Lagoon is a nice mixer, lots of vodka and a very sweet taste.

Miscellaneous- I absolutely love lots of different shots, Tequilla, Sambuca, Absinthe whatever im normally up for it.

As for my alcohol story, that would probably be me drinking so much on my birthday i got alcohol poisoning, it made me bedridden for a few days and made my eyes bleed, but the pleasing thing was that i won! I drank everything my friends hit at me, i was out with a good 20 or so people and nearly everyone bought me a drink, i also spent £20 myself that night so you can imagine that was a lot of alcohol :D

Luke
02-09-2005, 23:31
what gets me drunk?

well i do not drink alcohol, i cant stand the stuff. hate being hugover blah blah....

this is how i get moshed on a saturday night:

1: smoke a teenth of draw
2: sink about 14 tins of red bull/charge/devil
3: take any other drug that is going around at the time near the end of the night

that gets me fairly mullered. that and trying to figure out "is there blood on my shirt dennis?" and "is this pint mine? is it? is this pint mine? i didnt order this pint whywointyoutellmewhosthepintisdennisicantseestraig ht..."

oh, and someone spiked my drink once and i ended up getting into a fight with 3 of my best mates. plus i was on creatine and lean 7 at the time and just came straight from the gym...

Kittah
03-09-2005, 00:35
Beer - Guiness for me, though I don't drink much in the way of beer.

Liquor - Rum, Bacardi and Tequila, mostly.

Mixes - Red Bull and Vodka.

NaT
03-09-2005, 09:49
1. Beer - James Squires amber ale: The only beer i even slightly enjoy drinking
2. Liquor - Sambucca. Black.
3. Mixes - Obviously smirnoff blacks. I owe much to these bottles of pantie removers.... i mean pre-mixed vodka ;)

Robot 2000
03-09-2005, 13:03
Beer - Boddington's :D
Liquor - Kahlua and ice/double scotch and ice
Mixes - Vodka+Red Bull/Southern Comfort + Lemonade (girly I know but it tastes so gooood!)

Gorbat!
03-09-2005, 13:59
1. Beer - It's not really the best beer i had but i tend to drink a lot of Sofiero, mainly because its quite cheap and the taste is nice.
2. Liquor - Stroh rom.
3. Mixes - Gin and tonic goes down really well.
4. Miscellanious - Snus or snuff, i dont know what name you guys know it by.

Yodhrin
03-09-2005, 14:04
1. Beer - It's not really the best beer i had but i tend to drink a lot of Sofiero, mainly because its quite cheap and the taste is nice.
2. Liquor - Stroh rom.
3. Mixes - Gin and tonic goes down really well.
4. Miscellanious - Snus or snuff, i dont know what name you guys know it by.

Aha! Stroh! I'd forgotten that stuff, a friend of mine brought a few bottles back from Amsterdam a few years back, nice stuff.

Wiseman
03-09-2005, 15:02
arsenic, the only thing that makes sure you are dead as a doornob, best sort of poison around;)

Venomizer
03-09-2005, 18:43
Beer: I don't drink beer

Liquor: dont really drink liqours

Mixes: Smirnoff Ice (Red & Black), Malibu & Milk

Miscellanious: Mudshake ~ specifically mint and chocolate

Serpent
03-09-2005, 18:49
Beer: Staropramen, usually. Have just discovered the Jamaican beer called Red Stripe. Quite nice.

Liquor: Whisky. Glenfiddich at the moment, but when I'm going out, I can't afford the really good stuff. Tequila might get you drunk, but I've had my second worst hangover ever from tequila. No picninc...

Girly Stuff: As I'm the barman in the student theatre group I mix a fair amount of drinks. None really difficult, but most are quite efficient at what they're supposed to do. Love Potion is basically a mix of vodka, raspberry soda and grenadine. Is pink, tastes sweet, gets the couples amourous. Then again, we have Bullet in the Head, which tastes like it sounds... And have a similar result. :eek:

Others: I also enjoy red wine (hey, I'm a theatre guy) a lot. The problem is that you're supposed to sip it, not drink it like water... :rolleyes:

Serpent

Snoozer
03-09-2005, 18:54
Beer: Koff, but after a few bottles I really don't care that much :p

Liquor: don't drink enough to really have a favorite.

Mixes: Smirnoff ice.

:D

Hideous Loon
03-09-2005, 19:45
Beer: I have only drunk beer once, and that was enough. I do not like the taste of beer.
Liquor: Close call between vodka and whisky. Probably vodka, because it mixes with practically anything.
Mixes: Vodka Martini, shaken, not stirred.
Misc: No, I don't do any more drugs than alcohol. Snuffed once, smoked once, but no, it's just not my cup of tea.
Note to those who care: I'm trying to stop drinking. I have had some success, having poured out my liquor bottles, and have now been sober for three weeks.

Luke
03-09-2005, 19:54
Note to those who care: I'm trying to stop drinking. I have had some success, having poured out my liquor bottles, and have now been sober for three weeks.

well done. its always good to see people taking an interest in the health. you dont need alcohol to enjoy yourself.

i been tea total for about 2 1/2 years now. it can be quite hard to resist at times but is well worth it. as a result i now have insane amounts of money to spend on motorcycles, GW and other neat stuff

Sojourner
03-09-2005, 20:09
Beer: how long have you got? I'm a beer fanatic. When I'm thirsty, a cheap pissy lager like Carling, Export or Foster's. For a leisurely summer's evening, real ale - I've tried so many I couldn't list them all (a pub not far from here boasts of having served 4,000 different ales since opening)

Liquor: Southern Comfort. The most exquisite, unusual taste there is. Also black Sambuca.

Mixer: Plain old vodka and coke. I don't go for mixers much.

Misc: Wine. Dope.

Luke: 12 tins of nerd oil? You're going to kill yourself. Seriously. That and the creatine will see you well on the way to pissing in a bag by your middle years, and don't even start on the heart strain.

Luke
03-09-2005, 20:24
lol, im off the creatine. two of my mates got cancer and they thought it was because of it. naturally i cacked myself and gave it up.

might move back down to just getting stoned and drinking water. if only a bottle of "club" water didnt cost as much as a pint of baileys......

TeddyC
03-09-2005, 20:24
Beer - Any real ale really, im a big fan of Rocking Rudolph.... Xmas time only.... errr besides that... Black Sheep and Bishops finger
Liquor - Whiskey, Ouzo (neat), Sambuca, Black Absinthe
Mixes - Blue WKD half and half with fosters
Miscellanious - errr... im ashamed to admit i drink lager!

Sojourner
03-09-2005, 21:05
clubs are legally required to provide tapwater for nothing, if you don't mind looking a bit of a cheapskate.

Phunting
03-09-2005, 22:31
Beer- Well favourite is James Squire's IPA. But it's nigh impossible to get hold of, so any decent real ale. I drink Young's Ordinary at my local.

Liquor- Gin and Tonic. Double. Bombay Saphire if they have it.

Mixes - I do enjoy a White Russian.

Phunting
03-09-2005, 22:32
Mixes - Blue WKD half and half with fostersThat sounds absolutely revolting!

...I think I'll try it.

Cade
03-09-2005, 23:48
Beer: Tennant's Lager. Fairly weak but fizzy and refreshing.

Liquor: Apple Sourz or, if I can find it, Pineapple Sourz. Not a liquor per se, but an excellent shot of sugary, fruity, alcoholic tastiness to offset all the beer.

Mixes: Snakebite & Black. Half lager, half cider, with a good shot of blackcurrant cordial. Looks like blood, tastes like heaven. Some pubs refuse to serve it because apparently it gets you really pissed really quickly and turns you into a mass murderer.
But we all know the real reason is becase they don't want Goths in their pub.

Misc: Absinthe. Very rare treat. ****s your brain totally. Not good. Only for exceptionally good reasons.

Freak Ona Leash
04-09-2005, 00:18
Guinness+Cider=teh win. Vodka+watermelon=almost as much of teh win as the above. But of course, Freak would know nothing of this for he is a minor. Hehe, yeah, of course. *cough*

EDIT:Mead>anything else.

Wiseman
04-09-2005, 01:18
Im trying to stop drinking at the moment, havent touched any in about 4 weeks:)

Inquisitor Engel
04-09-2005, 02:03
Mixes: Snakebite & Black. Half lager, half cider, with a good shot of blackcurrant cordial. Looks like blood, tastes like heaven. Some pubs refuse to serve it because apparently it gets you really pissed really quickly and turns you into a mass murderer.

*Writes this down*

Any recommendations on lager and cider to use? Double or single shot of cordial?

Now, trying to find blackcurrant cordial in the US... That may be the hard bit. :p

Delicious Soy
04-09-2005, 02:46
Beer - Hmmmm, Tooheys Old, Calton Black, Guiness, Lowenbrau (both their draught and Dark by the litre from their pub in the Rocks), VB, XXXX Can you tell yet I'm from Western Sydney? :p

Liquor - Straight? Brandy/Cognac is really pleasant on a winters evening.

Mixes - Usually Scotch and Coke or Beam and Coke, pretty much my standard drinks, scotch for when I'm out, Beam for when I'm home. Sometimes rum. Actually after one evening of downing Bundy and cokes, alternating between OP and Regular, I swore never to touch rum again. We shall also not speak of the foul concoction of Creaming Soda, Vodka, Beam and Red Bull served in a stein. That was another of my less than healthy evenings.

Miscellanious - Strongbow Cider, the first thing I got plastered with, led to my and a friend walking around a football oval screaming out Frenzal Rhomb songs. Must've been annoying for people nearby hearing drunken teenagers screaming out "ALL WE NEED IS, ALL WE NEED IS, ALL WE NEED IS... IS A PUNCH IN THE FACE!"

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
04-09-2005, 06:37
Beer - Heineken, Corona, Some czech beer

Spirits - Straight Tequila

Mixed drink - rum+coke

Other - Cigarettes, some mary jane every now and then

Ravening Wh0re
04-09-2005, 13:07
Any spirit is good for me. But, Tequila will almost always ger me sick :(
Usually JD and coke for me. Sometimes, a Vodka, lime and lemonade (guilty)

drunk? A Blue Black. Blue WKD, Smirnoff Ice Black, and some Vodka. All in a pint glass, and drunk fast through a straw.

other? I'm rather partial to a handful of shrooms...

edit: a special shout goes out to that most saintly of drinks, Bloody Mary.
There is no better thing for a hangover (damned Tequila). I'm not sure if it's the alcohol, or the pepper, but ir certainly does the trick

Bubble Ghost
04-09-2005, 13:25
Beer: I don't much like ale or stout (quite partial to the odd Caffrey's though), so I drink lager. Middle of the road stuff usually, rather than cheap Carlsberg rubbish or overpriced Budvar-like shenanigans, and not Stella because it tastes like a chemical plant. A Heineken or Grolsch does me. Peroni Nastro or Staropramen if it's available.

Liquor: Wild Turkey on ice. It's a bourbon. If you drink JD or Jim Beam, you need to try this. I mean it.

Mixer: Morgan's Spiced rum and coke. Nice because it doesn't actually taste anything like rum; it's somehow nearer to a really sweet bourbon and coke. Again worth trying if you like a JD and coke.

*Writes this down*

Any recommendations on lager and cider to use? Double or single shot of cordial?

Now, trying to find blackcurrant cordial in the US... That may be the hard bit.
Snakebite doesn't get you drunk any faster than anything else with the same alcohol percentage, really. It's definitely no worse than, say, Stella on its own. The real reason some pubs refuse to serve it is an image thing, because because they don't want to appear to be catering for the sort of person who drinks it.:D (it's not goths they don't want; hell, I WISH we got goths in our bar instead of the chav ****** we usually have. They just don't want to specifically condone drinking to get drunk, which is the public image of snakebite. Hypocritical? Probably, yes). It tastes OK though, if I remember right from my student days.

Any common lagers ought to be fine. I don't know what sort of ciders you get in the US, as some American visitors to the bar I work in seem slightly confused when I try to explain what Strongbow is, but anything apple-based and alcoholic should work. As for the blackcurrent, just mix to taste. Use about as much as you would if you were mixing it with water.

Strictly Commercial
04-09-2005, 13:32
I suppose I will get a visit from the Inquisition if as a teetotaler I quip in with an opinion that "going dry is the only way to fly". But, I would be remiss if I didn't. And anyway, surely the Emporer would frown on alcohol consumption.

Don't take it personally, at any rate. I do the same to smokers, who just as equally don't want me prattling on.

Guido le Wombat
05-09-2005, 12:32
*Writes this down*

Now, trying to find blackcurrant cordial in the US... That may be the hard bit. :p

Single shot of cordial, and if served in a pub they would use the weakest **** they have to make it, so fosters/carling and blackthorn/strongbow.

However to enjoy snakebite properly it should be made with Special brew and White Lightning :)

Jedi152
05-09-2005, 12:53
I can't believe there are people who have lived without the pleasure of snakebite and black!

Every first year at our uni lived on the stuff - cue lots of pink tongues and lips (and plenty of pink sinks in the morning...)

BubbleGhost is correct - it doesn't get you more drunk than anything else, but it tastes sweeter, so is really easy to drink.

However to enjoy snakebite properly it should be made with Special brew and White Lightning :)
Nice! :p Like a turbo shandy or a blastaway...

Sojourner
05-09-2005, 13:35
Ugh, Snake B. Minging.

My mate invented a variation using wine for colour. Vile.

Ophidian
05-09-2005, 14:48
A friend of mine had a drink that he like to call 'the Unusual'.

I can't remember everything that went in it, but it definately had: John Smiths, Blue and Orange WKDs and neat Ribena...

...four wrongs do not a right make.

highmarshaldave
05-09-2005, 17:49
Extra smooth or normal? Cos if it was extra smooth i will HUNT YOU DOWN!!! HERETIC!!!

Can't say that i like Snake Bite, but my laydee friend normaly drinks it when we're out.

Dave out.

Phunting
06-09-2005, 14:21
But we all know the real reason is because they don't want Goths in their pub.Goths? Try cheap **** students. All they ever used to drink when I was at uni.

That said it is quite nice I grudgingly admit, and do occasionally have one. I agree with Bubble about the image thing though.

Back when I worked in the SU bar, we were told that it was banned under weights and measures. Though that could be an urban myth too...

Phunting
06-09-2005, 14:22
However to enjoy snakebite properly it should be made with Special brew and White Lightning :)Now that takes me back to my student days.

Or would if I could remember them...

ironduke
06-09-2005, 14:33
Beer: Fosters the only beer bar Carlsberg that doesn't taste of horses P***

Mix: Snakebites when i'm out because they are cheap and get you drunk faster.

Girly drinks: I then move on to Wkd or red, blue, green square and only stop when the inconsiderate guys on the bar shut it.

Shots: Sambuca is my favourite because it tastes just like the sweet BlackJack or liquorich

"Box of matchs, packet of pork scratchins, nuther box of matches and... four pints of snakebites pleaze"

Luke
06-09-2005, 14:39
oh fudge! all i used to drink at loughbrough was something called a "PURPLE NASTY" the signiature drink of the uni. basically a snakebite with some sort of purple cordial in it. got you absolutely wrecked on about 4 pints. its like fizzy pop with an alcohol content of 8%. yum, good times.

oh, i remember sitting up all nite trying to vomit purple paste into a carrier bag after a particularly heavy sesh....

ironduke
06-09-2005, 14:48
It turns your insides purple and you can feel it churning away all night and morning but its cheap!!

Luke
06-09-2005, 14:54
lol, dont get me started about the morning after! lets just say, its not prety.....

in fact thats probably the reason ive been tea-total for the last two and a half years.
want my advice kids? dont drink, spend your money on motorbikes instead.

ironduke
06-09-2005, 14:56
Don't listen to luke hes trying to lure you away from the dark side (hey i made a pun without realising) join us with many snakebites and together we will hurl over the galaxy and make vows that we will nether drink again and then break them the week after...

Luke
06-09-2005, 15:06
:D man i do wish i did drink. but to break now i would feel like such a cop-out. still, i gotta be strong.

trust me, going tea total is such a confidence boost. i can achive so much more now. of course, going out to clubs is damn boring.

ironduke
06-09-2005, 15:10
not listening, not listening. ARRRGGHHH!!! :cries:

salty
06-09-2005, 15:28
Beer: Carling, Carlsberg, Fosters... anything that is not Budweiser really.

Shots: Whisky mostly, in particular Glenfiddich (although being underage I have only recently been able to procure serious quantities of the suff)

Secret Shame/Girly Drink: I dont drink girly drinks at all. I once tried Sherry and thought it was gross. So, Lambs Navy Rum goes in here. Not girly, but it does say Navy...

Mix: Again, don't really mix drinks (bad experiences), but maybe Southern Comfort and Coke or Rum and Coke.

Salty :)

Inquisitor Mikarovic
06-09-2005, 17:15
Beer: Erm... anything on tap? I can barely notice a difference between them all and stuff ever finding the time to try. I usually end up just getting a Tooheys New. Though when I'm not buying, it's usually "Whatever you're having".

Things I have done for a free beer
- Gone up to a DJ and told him his music is ****. I had to stroll nonchalantly across an empty stage before a dozen scantly clad models were to walk onto it, so it wasn't so much a case of siddling upto the DJ and whispering it in his ear. I had to declare it to a Club full of people as well, and a bunch of girls who've been on the cover of mens' magazines.

- Humped an Electronic Blackjack table. A brief explaination to the patrons using it, and five impressive, energetic thrusts later I was up a cold one. Problem was that I was a little too energetic in my motion and the resultant bashing my testicles received hurt extraordinarily. The free beer helped to cure the ailment.

- Drank half a beer with a Tampon in it. I'd like very much to stress at this point in time that it was an UNUSED tampon. In no way has it been near its fated position, and it is a sanitary piece of a equipment, let's not forget, but still this story never fails to force a groan of disgust from all who hear it.

- I didn't do this. A guy I know down Gordo's; American chap, really cool guy; bet us a free one that he'd drink the scant remnants of a beer, topped off with the contents of an ash tray that has seen the labours of an entire nights efforts. he downed it in one go, and informed us that for a sizable sum of money, $200 I believe it was, he'd drink a cocktail of half a schooner of beer, half a schooner of the urine of a beautiful woman. We've yet to test his resolve, and some of us are probably too scared to do it. The guy seems serious...

Liquor: Black Sambuca's lovely. Anything that tastes like candy and makes your face numb is a go in my book.

Vodka's also neat.

Absinthe is the ticket if you want the alcoholic version of a club in the face with a Cricket bat. 50% alco-ma-hol, baby.

Mixes: Bourbon and Coke always goes down a treat, 'specially when it's $3.60 at the Gordon Club, and I can use Thursday's free drink to get one. I'm still collecting my breathe after learning that it costs more than double in the City. If I'm paying $7.50 for a drink, I want to be able to swim in it, or see leprechauns jumping around on the ceiling within 10 minutes. I got neither.

If I'm hanging for something sugary and I'm still on the mission of getting pissed, I'll get a schooner of lemon, lime and bitters with 1-3 shots of Vodka. You can't taste the booze at all, and the taste cures any sweet tooth.

I've only been boozing with mates for like... two months, so forgive my lack of extensive knowledge on the topic.

Ravening Wh0re
06-09-2005, 17:20
Absinthe is the ticket if you want the alcoholic version of a club in the face with a Cricket bat. 50% alco-ma-hol, baby.

Isn't it at least 70 percent? That's what it says on MY bottles anyway....

Inquisitor Mikarovic
06-09-2005, 17:22
... Well there you go. Even better.
You've made my day. ;)

Guido le Wombat
06-09-2005, 17:28
For me it depends how much money I have.

When i'm low on cash I just ask the barman what the cheapest drink is.

However when I can afford it:

Beer: bit of a lager phase atm, so Staropramen for me.

Liquor: Absinthe - mines 80%, or when I can't afford that, sambuca.

Mixes: G&T (with lime ofc) or southern comfort with lemonade. Also just about any spirit mixes really well with Ribena. Ive also been known to use tequilla for a mixer, can't quite remember how well that went though...

Wisdom
06-09-2005, 18:13
Beer wise I just used to drink anything but I'm going through a stage of only buying british lager at the mo (Partly over the top pride but also british is cheaper. Carling cheaper in pubs n skol, tennents etc from the offy)

Spirits wise I'm very much a Polish wodka man. A taste passed down through the generation so I'm always up for a nice bit of flavoured Wyborowa. Mmm mmm, yum yum

All followed by lovely lovely chicken Madras, oh how I love thee

edit: forgot my mixer- Vodka redbull for cheapness, when I'm at home lemon wodka and tonic. C'st Bon. C'est tres bien