PDA

View Full Version : Giant Question

Goldenwolf
29-09-2007, 00:40
My Giant 'Eadbutted a Steam Tank the other day, and I am wondering if my Giant should have gotten a wound from it the same way a Chariot would when it gets impact hits.

Any thoughts or actual notes :)

theunwantedbeing
29-09-2007, 00:51
A giant headbutts a steam tank, and it should suffer wounds?
That doesnt make any sense.

EvC
29-09-2007, 01:01
If it's not an impact hit, then it does no damage...

Though that makes me wonder: do Stegadons and Ogre Bulls take damage for charging the Steam Tank?

Ward.
29-09-2007, 01:46
I giant smashes his head into a big lump of reinforced steel (I'm assuming it's reinforced), he should get hurt a little, but rules wise it appears he does not.

Atrahasis
29-09-2007, 04:01
Though that makes me wonder: do Stegadons and Ogre Bulls take damage for charging the Steam Tank?

Do stegadons and ogre bulls cause impact hits?

IIRC, ogre bulls have the choice of causing impact hits (and if so they'd be silly to choose so against a ST), but I may be wrong.

Masque
29-09-2007, 06:33
Stegadons and Ogres do impact hits so would take hits in return from the Steam Tank. You are correct that Ogres have the option of inflicting their impact hits or not and would probably be better off not doing so.

Bortus
29-09-2007, 18:41
I believe the key rule here is "impact hits". If a model such as a chariot or Ogres (Ogres having the option of course) are governed by it then it is what it is. The rules for the Steam Tank say "impact hits" against it suffer d6 strength 6 hits so there you are.

Urgat
29-09-2007, 23:52
I have one question (well, sort of) about giants, so I'll use that thread: when a giant yells and brawls, the enemy aumotatically loses the combat with -2 right? My reading is that it's just what happens, there's no modifier or anything. Now, tonight, I've had the giant, a unit of wolves and my general charging both flanks of a unit of marauders engaged with a unit of night goblins. Now I had him strike after the wolves and the general (nothing seems to force me to have him attack first, right?) in order to avoid a possible fall on my own guys. So I was totatlly wining the fight already, and then he yells and brawls; the result is that the marauders lost the fight with much less than what they should have (they were outnumbered, I had flank charge bonus, they had no ranks and I had 2, and got a couple kills already). Well the marauders failed their break test and fled, but, potentialy, that attack could have turned an sure win situation into a result that could have been bad for me, to say the least?

ZomboCom
30-09-2007, 00:16
Gaints are random, and sometimes that randomness is a bad thing. Yes, you do sometimes end up only winning by two instead of lots.

EvC
30-09-2007, 01:11
Yes, it's saved me nicely before once or twice! That's why it's also smart to have him attacks after units if you have the choice (Though remember the initiative order still applies after charges)...

T10
30-09-2007, 13:26
So I was totatlly wining the fight already, and then he yells and brawls; the result is that the marauders lost the fight with much less than what they should have

Yeah. I guess the Giant's yelling kind of unsettles even his allies, distracting everybody on both sides from the full picture of what is going on.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
30-09-2007, 19:47
when a giant yells and brawls, the enemy aumotatically loses the combat with -2 right? My reading is that it's just what happens, there's no modifier or anything. Now, tonight, I've had the giant, a unit of wolves and my general charging both flanks of a unit of marauders engaged with a unit of night goblins.

Since this thread has already taken a turn off the original question, I hope Golden wolf doesn't mind if I elaborate on the controversial Yell and Bawl Giant rule.

1) " the models in *base contact* do not fight [the giant]

2) In the multiple combat where there are enemy units *not* in base contact with the Giant, these units may strike after the Giant Yells.

3) If the Giant is in base contact with Spearmen, Pikemen or mixed units with a similar ability (Ungors, pack masters), models in the secomd rank may strike back after the Giant Yells.

EvC
01-10-2007, 11:12
Ah, but you've inserted the word "base" into those three qualifiers. It's just "contact" that appears in the rulebook; some might think that means "base to base contact", I tend to think it means any model fighting in the same combat as the Giant, although that's a bit arbitrary.

DaJackel
02-10-2007, 00:01
Hmm. Can anyone clarify the proper rule here? Is it in combat with the giant or actual base-to-base contact?

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2007, 00:06
Wouldnt a better question be...

What happens when there are giants on both sides and they both yell and bawl? :P
Seeing as it only states models in base contact with the giant dont get to attack its entirely possible for this to happen it seems.