PDA

View Full Version : Blarg. I love the current Harlequins, but...

MysteryGilgamesh
29-09-2007, 02:27
Damn, they were a pain in the butt to put together. Great models, but I want to choke the joker who decided ALL of them needed to be multipart, with ill fitting joints (ESPECIALLY the Troupe Master). Took me 3 1/2 hours to get 12 Harlequins done.

I look back at my 2nd ed. Striking Scorpions, and long for the days when metals were 1 part.

elvinltl
29-09-2007, 15:11
Congratulations for fixing them. Wait till you paint them, i guarentee you will enjoy it. So many intricate patterns, ribbons and costumes requiring so many different colours and shades. I didn't even bother to paint them.

Btw, don't you think the Harlequins models are badly manufactured? The torso and legs can seem to fit in properly although the design are nice. The worst part comes when they come in all sorts of wierd posturing and i had to put glue and held them at that position if not they will just droop down.

And on the first game when i used them they fell apart. -.-
$%$#%@$#$#^#

leonmallett
29-09-2007, 15:14
Pinning elvintl, pinning. Once you have enjoyed the security of pinning you may again ignore the benefits.

Starchild
29-09-2007, 16:01
Yes, Harlequins are a truly Elite unit. It takes greater-than-average modeling skill to put them together, and greater-than-average painting skill to make them look stunning.

UncleCrazy
29-09-2007, 17:51
I painted a 2000 point army of Harlequins back during 2nd ed. And the guy I did it for bought me 2000 of IG ^,-

But yeah they are tough to paint. Checkering is a pain.....

Some guy (UK)
29-09-2007, 18:12
I can't get myself to buy any of these great minatures at the moment, all down to Razza. His work was so damn good that it would just put me into my perfectionist over drive :D

Bunnahabhain
29-09-2007, 19:14
It's a carefully though out plan, involving the sculptors and designers, to prevent every Eldar force being full of harlequins...

naked_surfer
29-09-2007, 20:20
Doesnt help that GW superglue is weak as hell these days. I was into the hobby 10 years ago and back then, the glue was about ten times quicker to set!

Kasonic
29-09-2007, 20:45
Doesnt help that GW superglue is weak as hell these days. I was into the hobby 10 years ago and back then, the glue was about ten times quicker to set!

...And walked 10 miles uphill both ways to the hobby store :rolleyes:

I've always hated gluing metals. I use a mix of Elmer's and superglue, since neither one on their own seems to do it.

qwertywraith
30-09-2007, 02:55
Does nobody use 2 part epoxy glue? It's cheap, readily available and holds metal on metal very, very well. I still pin most models, especially anything wasp waisted.

elvinltl
30-09-2007, 03:30
Pinning is quite troublesome. I rather just apply the glue and let it set but for metal it gets tricky because unlike plastic, i use Tamiya glue to sort of "melt" plastic joints together.

Ya, and the joints for Harlequins are very strange. They don't quite seem to fit properly. Another problem is transporting them to the gaming place, i mean they are so fragile with thin swords, legs and ribbons sticking out i tend to dislocate them. :D

Monospot
30-09-2007, 03:50
2 words: power drill

leonmallett
30-09-2007, 09:59
2 words: power drill

Alternatively look around for better drill bits for your pin vice. I have tried brass-coloured ones which are rubbish, but the black ones I have were cheap and grind through metal really easily, so I have one at 0.9 mm and another at 1.5 mm (the latter for drilling heavy bolter muzzles and Rhino exhausts).