PDA

View Full Version : Casting Miniatures?

BigRob
29-09-2007, 09:46
Hello,

I hope I am allowed to ask this, I know warseer has guidelines about talking about GW IP and recasts but hopefully people can answer my question. Theres several threads about at the moment about conterfiet miniatures, dodgy eBay auctions and people copying Games Workshops models.

Now, I know recasting Games Workshop miniatures and flogging them off as the real thing is against the law. But (There's always a but) go on any of the Modeling, painting and project threads where someones done a really cool conversion/sculpt or bodge together and theres people clamouring for them
to cast it, often saying "Wow, you should cast it, loads of people will buy it".

I've seen home casting kits on eBay and other places (which frankly look dangerous!). I've seen peoples home cast of female guardsmen, Preetorians, cool armoured Guardsmen etc on MPT threads. Is this not also illegal, since it is a cast based on GW IP, or is it allowed because its for thier personal use? Then there are Scratchbuilds, like the wonderful Chaos Dragon, how do they fit into it?

Just confused as to whats allowed, whats not allowed and what people can do. Especially after the confusing conversion guidelines on Games Workshops Website.

Thanks,
Rob

Shadow Marine
29-09-2007, 09:55
One of the bartertown users was organising the casting of female cadian bodies. He had got someone to do them from strach and people ordered sets. I cannot find the thread but I am sure he said that he had spoken to someone at GW and they had said go ahead. I don't think much profit was made.

I have also seen casting on the GW, were the staff have made copies of symbols using green stuff. Confusing!!

BDJV
29-09-2007, 10:10
GW's IP is exactly what they decide it is and it changes from moment to moment. It can be very confusing.

Patriarch
29-09-2007, 10:14
Female Cadian accessories (heads & bodies) discussed here:

http://warseer.com/forums/40k-general-discussion/68618-is-anyone-interested-in-making-female-cadians-a-reality.html

PM the OP and he'll sort you out on the next run. Small production runs, the only people who are making money on this are GW since you have to provide the arms/weapons & bases yourself, i.e. use plastic cadian ones from the boxed set.

Easy E
29-09-2007, 10:53
And the Sculptor.

It is very confusing. If it is something that you have created on your own and fit into the GW universe you are free and clear to do what you like. For example, my Cultists in my sculpting thread are complete free of GW iconography, weapons, etc. They are generic.

Once you start using GW bitz and iconography, that is where things get sticky.

Kloud13
29-09-2007, 15:04
PM the OP and he'll sort you out on the next run. Small production runs, the only people who are making money on this are GW since you have to provide the arms/weapons & bases yourself, i.e. use plastic cadian ones from the boxed set.

I don't think GW makes a whole lot of money here, cause anybody who collects guard, should have tons of extra arms, and bases.

dodicula
29-09-2007, 18:26
You were born free, you are free to do what you want.

Wintermute
29-09-2007, 18:39

Wrong.

The there are laws governing what can and cannot copied or cast for personal use. However these laws vary from country to country.

We also have rules on WarSeer.

The discussion of intent to violate Intellectual Property is prohibited on these forums. This includes discussing the casting of miniatures copied from originals by companies such as GW, even if for personal use.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition

scarletsquig
29-09-2007, 20:18
You don't have to cast your own work personally, in fact it's probably best not to, if you want to keep the quality level high.

There are companies out there that will vulcanise and cast your greens for you.. some will even start selling them (if they're good enough) and pay you a small amount of royalties. Naturally, they won't deal with anything that breaches IP laws, so I thought I'd mention it as a non-dodgy way of reproducing your work.

Life's all fun and games until you end up on soap-collection duty in your local jail. :D

Light of the Emperor
05-10-2007, 01:19
I'm not familiar with the extent of casting in the GW IP, but, if I convert a model using GW bitz and parts and want to replicate it, can I cast it for my own private use?

Can someone cast it for me so long as I only pay them to cover the costs of the cast? (no profit will be made on any front). Is there a section in the IP I can find that in?

Thanks.

Wintermute
05-10-2007, 06:36
I'm not familiar with the extent of casting in the GW IP, but, if I convert a model using GW bitz and parts and want to replicate it, can I cast it for my own private use?

Can someone cast it for me so long as I only pay them to cover the costs of the cast? (no profit will be made on any front). Is there a section in the IP I can find that in?

Thanks.

No and No.

Making a copy of a mini, even for personal use, may be considered an illegal by GW.

Tzaryn
05-10-2007, 14:23
Think about it this way:

You're not just copying GW IP but the skill of the sculptor who created the original piece.

Scratchbuilt - cast all you want - it's your model (subject to arguments regarding the copyrights of image and IP if it contains visuals related to GW IP - like scratch buildling a space marine that is obviously a GW space marine).

Easy way - just do conversions or scratch build.

Light of the Emperor
05-10-2007, 15:25
Thought so...

Guess I need a new a conversion that's easier to replicate.

Geetarman
05-10-2007, 15:40

I'd say that the minute you replicate it your in trouble. However, i don't think GW is gonna care that much unless you start to produce hundreds of them or start to sell it on to other people, if you make a few dozen for yourself I dont think they'd really care that much...

Gman

OBISPUDKENOBI
05-10-2007, 23:13
i think the rule of thumb would be if the model is completely your own design and scratch built using no GW like-ness or parts you would be safe to cast and sell it aslong as you dont claim it is for use with or use any GW copy written names or terms to sell or market it .

Vic
06-10-2007, 01:11
GW likeness doesnt count. It's when you outright copy them that you get the legal department buzzing. If my Earth Invader tank looks slightly like their tanks, there isnt a damn thing they could do. They could send a letter, but good luck getting a court to side with them if it isnt an outright copy. If that were the case, Lucas could have sued GW for making their Space Marines in the "likeness" of the imperial Storm Trooper, or Geiger could have sued GW for the Tyranid "likeness" of his Alien design (actually the bio-mechanical aspect of his art would also throw GW into trouble over their Tech-priest art and John Blanche's "art" being soo close to Geiger's bio-mechanical art).