PDA

View Full Version : First Attempt at 2000 pt Lizardmen

themandudeperson
29-09-2007, 16:42
I've been looking at the army book and the model prices vs point costs and I was wondering if an army made from 2 battalion box sets, a slann and a stegadon would make a decent army. I've made a list that totals 2005 points, it's a little bland, but I plan to expand it to 3000 later, I just want to see what people think of what I've put together so far.

Lord:
Slann with Plaque of Protection and Plaque of Dominion

Core:
20 saurus warriors with full command
20 saurus warriors with full command
10 scout skinks with brave and blowpipes
10 scout skinks with brave and blowpipes

Special:
6 Cold Ones with full command
6 Cold Ones with full command

Rare:
Stegadon

I realize the stegadon isn't considers as great as 3 salamanders, but I like the model and one steggy is easier on the wallet than 3 sal's. Later I might buy Kroq-Gar, if for nothing else, than to add a second terror causing unit and I can always call him a Saurus Old Blood on a Carnasaur instead if I need to save points. I'll throw in some sacred spawning upgrades, add a few more troops to each of the units and possibly some terradons or chameleon skinks to round it out to 3000. But that's all later. So.. would this list hold water?

Iziz
30-09-2007, 15:04
Looks like a pretty nice list. You may want to consider dropping one of the cold one units, with their mediocre save they are often the targets of bolt throwers and the like. I would drop the plaque of protection and give him tepok. That extra spell comes in handy. You may want to get a skink priest in there for line of sight. Also, it may be a good idea to beef the skink units up to 13 so you can take more hits before a Ld test.

As is this list isn't terrible, you might have trouble with ther magic heavy lists. With only two blocks of solid troops, if one things goes wrong it's over. Maybe make the slann a BSB to prevent this.

themandudeperson
30-09-2007, 19:15
my question is this: would it be intelligent to have 3 groups of 15 saurus warriors instead? with two battalion box sets that'll leave me with 3 spare, but would costs more point-wise.
Also, how much more effective are 6 Cold One Riders over 5? I know I WANT two units of Cold One Riders, just because I love the models and if warmachines are busy hammering them, they won't be hammering my slann. In addition, would dropping the musician and possibly the standard be smart with these guys? After all, the cold-blooded special rule should make them hard as hell to break with shooting.
Also, if I had to, would you recommend taking the points from my skink squads by dropping their brave?
The main purpose of the slann's plaque of protection is so he can float around outside of the units without much worry of missile fire except from warmachines, which I hope my skinks will eliminate or engage. I could drop it later if it doesn't prove useful.
Mainly, I want to use my magic phase to put down my opponent's by casting the highest strength version of Drain Magic. Even if you have a level 4 wizard, he's not going to be able to cast much if you have to discard every dice that rolls a 4, 5 or 6, so I should be able to easily dispel any magic if that spell goes off. I haven't decided though: should I use Drain Magic first or last? If I use it first, I can guarantee my opponent will either dump a lot of dispel dice or a dispel scroll on it, freeing up the rest of the spells to hammer his army. If I do the reverse, I have a much better chance of successfully casting it and hamstringing his magic phase.
Are you sure a 2nd generation Slann needs help in the magic phase? With the Plaque of Dominion he'll have 5 casting dice and 3 dispel dice, plus the extra two of each in the army pool. In addition he'll suffer no consequences from miscasts and gets a +1 to all casts and dispels. On top of that for every spell he casts he gets an additional free casting dice. With his 5 spells (counting Drain Magic) he'll have 12 casting dice at his disposal and if I replaced the Plaque of Protection with the Plaque of Tepok he'll have 13.
I will add 1-2 skink priests when I up my point total to 3000, but right now I think I'm a little tight on points to squeeze one in. It may be cheaper point wise, instead of adding a skink priest to just give a unit or two of saurus the spawning of tepok

Mordante
01-10-2007, 06:35
I don't have much experience playing with a slann, since magic is not as good as it used to be, but here is some advice for the rest of the army...
Lose the braves, they are not needed. I'd lose 1 unit of COR for a unit of Kroxigors. Keep the full command on the COR, and if you can find the points, add Huanchi's Blessed Totem. 2 units of 20 saurus are fine, I'd make them 6 wide for the extra attacks in the front rank. You probably will not have that 3rd rank by the time you get to combat anyway.

forgottenlor
01-10-2007, 09:52
I always play with the Slaan and have won alot with him. I would definately drop one unit of braves and use the points for a temple guard unit (with shields, but don't bother with command) then you have one unbreakable unit if you upgrade the Slaan to a bsb. Believe me a stegadon near a bsb is also greatly helped in case you roll badly the first round.