PDA

View Full Version : The Reason We Whine and Complain About GW

AmBlam
30-09-2007, 01:52
Is because we love it.

Its so much better than (most of) the other ways of spending your time out there.

Threads whining and complaing about people whining and complaining are a bit underhand as they are no different.

biggreengribbly
30-09-2007, 02:06
Huh?

Do we whine and complain about GW because we love GW? Or because we love whining and complaining?

Orbital
30-09-2007, 02:14
One of my friends (who was once a GW redshirt) used to tell me that there are two hobbies connected to Warhammer 40,000:

- Warhammer 40,000
- Complaining about Warhammer 40,000

Like Warhammer 40,000 itself, there are long online conversations dedicated to Complaining about Warhammer 40,000, newbs and vets, and it even has its well-known personalities and stars.

Made a lot of sense.

Monospot
30-09-2007, 03:17
I complain about my wife all the time. That being said, I love her and wouldn't leave her for anything.

If you spend enough time (and money) on a hobby, you will find things to gripe about. And, to be fair, GW does provide a lot of material. However, if they didn't provide so much GOOD stuff, none of us would be playing and they wouldn't have been making games for as long as they have.

Ozorik
30-09-2007, 08:42
I try not to whine about anything but there is a lot of very valid critisims which can be levelled against GW.

Crube
30-09-2007, 09:58
I love WFB.

I do complain about it, because i spend an awful lot of time and money on it, and have done for over 17 years. I expect to get what I pay for. Sometimes the game, or a model, or the company falls short of my expectations.

It's like buying a PS game and finding the 5th level doesnt work.

grickherder
30-09-2007, 10:07
We obviously care about it enough to want to see it better. Now we also get it's also not possible to please all the people all of the time, but it's something that atleast can be approached or held as an ideal.

lanrak
30-09-2007, 18:53
If we didnt care we would simply walk away.But as most GW gamers have a HUGE investment of time and money .Most would like GW PLC to conider the actual games played/gameplay more important than 'just seling toy soldiers to kiddies.'

Eg the 40k codexii should be updated when required to keep game play interesting and ballanced .
Studio staff want to do this!(And they did pre PLC days.)
GW PLC insist codex/army books updates ARE ONLY RELEASED with new model ranges!
So corperate managment fix release shedules and hype the latest releases at the cost of 'game ballance' and 'game quality!'(IMO.)

Most complain about GW PLC corperate (marketing) decisions ,NOT the GW staff!

However other manufacturers that place gameplay high on thier priority list, are doing well.
Because DEDICATED GAMERS, NOT KIDDIES buy the most minatures.

And gamers want top quality games to use thier minis in!
Not 'age old crap' rehashed every few years.

TTFN
lanrak.

scarletsquig
30-09-2007, 18:58
I complain about my wife all the time. That being said, I love her and wouldn't leave her for anything.

That's probably the best analogy I've heard.

Only difference is, GW will always be there, no matter how much you whine about them, whereas the wife isn't a guaranteed thing. Naturally this means we can complain about GW much more. :p

Also, complaining about something is a lot easier than doing something about it - if every person that complained about white dwarf wrote an article for the watchman/ firebase, those fanzines would be 200 pages long and released weekly by now.

RavenMorpheus
30-09-2007, 20:37
I love WFB.

I do complain about it, because i spend an awful lot of time and money on it, and have done for over 17 years. I expect to get what I pay for. Sometimes the game, or a model, or the company falls short of my expectations.

It's like buying a PS game and finding the 5th level doesnt work.

Exactly...

Vic
30-09-2007, 20:48
Its the nature of Warseer. If we didnt have something to whine about regarding GW, or be a fanboy and extol the virtues of GW, or work off the snippet of some truth/half truth to gossip/rumour about, what would we have to talk about?? And where would we go do it other than at the shop/club? just think of Warseer as an internet Pub: you get a colorful mix of a bunch of rich characters from all walks of life united by one thread. So as long as they dont spill your pint, everyone's glad to see you.

The Guy
30-09-2007, 21:48
That's probably the best analogy I've heard.

Only difference is, GW will always be there, no matter how much you whine about them, whereas the wife isn't a guaranteed thing. Naturally this means we can complain about GW much more. :p

Also, complaining about something is a lot easier than doing something about it - if every person that complained about white dwarf wrote an article for the watchman/ firebase, those fanzines would be 200 pages long and released weekly by now.

GW won't always be there, like a wife...or in my case girlfriend [Hey I'm 15!] if you don't treat them well enough or give them enouigh respect and care they'll leave, just like GW could, if everybody complained and refused to buy their products they would soon collapse. Where would we be then? :(

scarletsquig
30-09-2007, 21:57
GW won't always be there, like a wife...or in my case girlfriend [Hey I'm 15!] if you don't treat them well enough or give them enouigh respect and care they'll leave, just like GW could, if everybody complained and refused to buy their products they would soon collapse. Where would we be then? :(
Well, I don't know about you, but I've secretly been fooling around with some of those other, younger, wargames behind GW's back. GW was too plastic for my tastes anyway. ;)

The Guy
30-09-2007, 22:09
Well, I don't know about you, but I've secretly been fooling around with some of those other, younger, wargames behind GW's back. GW was too plastic for my tastes anyway. ;)

Lol oookaaay I can see this getting slightly wrong soon...

blackspring
30-09-2007, 22:59
Being that GW is the most prominent and therefore visible entity in the

wargaming miniatures genre it is subject to a high degree of scrutiny and

criticism. Yeah, GW has made some mistakes and they are paying for them in

loss of sales, but overall the fact that they've been around for almost 30 years?

is a testament to the goodness of their games despite all of the complaining and

whining.

Ozorik
01-10-2007, 14:35
but overall the fact that they've been around for almost 30 years? is a testament to the goodness of their games despite all of the complaining and whining.

I would say that it is more a testiment to their previous acheivments which lead to their market dominance rather than the quality of their current work.

Night Bearer
01-10-2007, 18:31
I think there's two levels of whine/complaint: the kind that actually is whining about something, and the kind that only sounds like whining because it's something that the listener doesn't want to hear.

For example, I have not liked 40k since the demise of 2nd edition and the old-style Space Orks. My complaint would be that post-v2 40k feels very vanilla and watered-down to me, that non-"comical" Orks are really boring, and that their current "dark and brutal" look comes off as very adolescent to me.

Now, depending on who you are, what I've just said is going to be considered as either valid criticism (if you agree, or if you don't but are truly tolerant of other opinions) or as whining (if you don't agree and don't want to hear someone criticizing 40kv3/4).

In other words, I think true whining is actually much less than what most of us think it to be. We all have our topics or issues where we hold a strong opinion and simply cannot fathom any disagreement as being valid. Yes, there is some whining - from people who want to be completely catered to, or from people who have become so bitter on GW that for them anything GW does will be wrong. On the other hand, a lot of valid criticism and critics get swept up as being "whiners" for the simple reason that other people - maybe a majority, maybe just a vocal minority - don't want to hear them or accept that their complaints are valid.

This, I think, is especially true in gaming because, let's be honest, gamers are not always the most open to admitting being wrong or accepting the validity of other's opinions, and can be very prone to confusing a differing opinion or critique as being a personal attack. In addition, the perceived anonymity of the internets makes it much easier to stridently attack and dismiss others thoughts as worthless whining.

(sorry for the massive tome of an opinion! :) )