PDA

View Full Version : Steroid abuse

scratchbuilt
30-09-2007, 17:22
Not a big deal but has anyone else noticed how much beefier all the models and sketches are getting. Orks getting bigger and bigger. Skaven. Even the elder models are getting bigger. I'm sure you can think of lots of examples. Back in the day the elder where skinny models, now they are all down in the gym, getting pumped.

I don't have a problem with orks getting bigger, but think the skaven and elder should stay skinny.

swordwind
30-09-2007, 17:40
Scale creep. Look at a RT ere Space Marine and then compare it to its 4th ed counterpart.

Adept
30-09-2007, 21:56
I hate scale creep. It makes your older models look silly, and makes otherwise excellent older models look out of scale next to the newer models.

scarletsquig
30-09-2007, 22:00
They've apparently sorted this out for fantasy with the introduction of master models that the entire range has to conform to. The new night goblins are smaller than the last lot.

No idea about 40k, though...

RavenMorpheus
30-09-2007, 22:48
Scale creep is annoying. The Leman Russ with his two wolves model looks great, until you put it up against a new SM model or even Ragnar Blackmane, then it looks like a normal human in a suit of power armour, instead of an SM primarch :(

IJW
30-09-2007, 23:08
When the old Russ-with-wolves model was released Primarchs didn't exist in their current form - he was just the founder of the Chapter...

swordwind
30-09-2007, 23:09
Though back when the mini was made Leman Russ was just a normal human with power armour :D

Edit: Doh! Beaten to it!

theunwantedbeing
30-09-2007, 23:11
Scale creep isnt a bad thing really.
Just means you have to buy a whole bunch of new models so your new stuff doesnt look out of place with your old stuff.
It's called "marketing strategy".

I hadnt noticed the skaven steroid abuse personally though.
Unless your on about rat ogres....although your obviously eating warpstone if you make this mistake :P

scratchbuilt
30-09-2007, 23:11
Place an old howling banshee next to a new one. It's like Paris Hilton and Serena Williams. Elder shouldn't be that pumped.

Skaven used to look like rats, now they look more like wolves.:eyebrows:

scarletsquig
01-10-2007, 00:01
Place an old howling banshee next to a new one. It's like Paris Hilton and Serena Williams. Elder shouldn't be that pumped.

Which ones are you comparing? The 3rd/ 4th edition ones to the 2nd edition ones, or the 4th edition ones to the 3 edition ones.

When the first banshees came out, they were perfectly scaled Jes Goodwin masterpieces... then 3rd edition saw serious scale creep across all ranges.

The banshees became weirdly proportioned with gigantic T+A and absolutely giant heads.

The current 4th edition ones have much more realistic breasts, but their bums are still gigantic.

... I think, with this post, I just reached a new low as far as nerdiness goes :p

RavenMorpheus
01-10-2007, 00:12
The problem with scale creep is it's down to having to many cooks so to speak.

In the days when the majority of mini's were done by Jes Goodwin and one or two other sculptors they all appeared to be the same.

Nowadays though there are so many more sculptors at GW and they don't seem to have anyone going along and checking.

It's like the "fluff" there are major holes in that. GW really need some people to check on continuity and scale so that it is kept in order. I'd like to see them introduce a system like they have in WFB as mentioned in a post before by having a set of master models.

But I also think that theunwantedbeing is correct - it is a "marketing strategy", with every generation of new models they get bigger, therefore they do not entirely fit with people armies and therefore we all feel we need to buy new models, thus GW sells more models than they would if they released new models in the same scale.

Personally though I don't notice the differences, they are after all only minor differences, the 3rd edition metal Marines for example are only slightly smaller than the current plastics and I personally don't notice unless I get really nerdy and put them side by side and start measuring them.

And whats wrong with Banshees having big T + A, they are women after all?

fwacho
01-10-2007, 07:41
I really liked the older cadian models. (have an army of them actaully) They actaully look scrawny next to a space marien.. like they should. but yes I would like the weak models to be samller.

IJW
01-10-2007, 09:25
In the days when the majority of mini's were done by Jes Goodwin and one or two other sculptors they all appeared to be the same.
When was that? :confused: There's always been many other sculptors working for GW, at an absolute minimum you have the Perry Twins plus several others.

And whats wrong with Banshees having big T + A, they are women after all?
What's wrong with it is that Eldar aren't supposed to have much in the way of body fat. ;)

Mikhaila
01-10-2007, 14:17
I have to laugh at the idea of skaven abusing steroids. Those crazy little drug addicts would be mainlining the stuff every chance they got. They eat warpstone for kicks, a little manling-getbiggermuscles-drugs aren't going to make them even think twice. )

IJW
01-10-2007, 14:39
I have to laugh at the idea of skaven abusing steroids.
Skaven on drugs? Nah, don't be silly! :)

RavenMorpheus
01-10-2007, 20:08
When was that? :confused: There's always been many other sculptors working for GW, at an absolute minimum you have the Perry Twins plus several others.

Always seemed as though there were a group of a few doing the majority of the models imo - course I could have just not been paying attention to the scupltors names but all the models back then like I said seemed to be of the same scale.

What's wrong with it is that Eldar aren't supposed to have much in the way of body fat. ;)

Well the A could be muscle, granted the T are essentially big bags of fat but look at wrestling women, they have big T & A. Ok probably not a good comparison but you get my drift. ;)

I have to laugh at the idea of skaven abusing steroids. Those crazy little drug addicts would be mainlining the stuff every chance they got. They eat warpstone for kicks, a little manling-getbiggermuscles-drugs aren't going to make them even think twice. )

So one could argue the aforementioned scale creep on the Skaven models is down to the "fluff" over-ingestion of Warpstone? ;)

scratchbuilt
01-10-2007, 21:34
Well the A could be muscle, granted the T are essentially big bags of fat but look at wrestling women, they have big T & A. Ok probably not a good comparison but you get my drift. ;)

Elder are supposed to be deceptively strong despite their slight build. Not 'She's got a booty like a horse!'. Sister Sorroritas could be big girls, but Elder should be skinny as celebrities. ;)

Raab
01-10-2007, 21:48
Actually, some things have gotten smaller over the years. Put a classical Warmaster Queek next to a modern day skaven warlord or, even worse, into a unit of clan rats. Looks like Michael Jordan visiting an elementary school jamboree. As far as I know, that's because back in the day, characters weren't only distingiushed by details, but also by shere size.

scratchbuilt
01-10-2007, 21:57
Actually, some things have gotten smaller over the years. Put a classical Warmaster Queek next to a modern day skaven warlord or, even worse, into a unit of clan rats. Looks like Michael Jordan visiting an elementary school jamboree. As far as I know, that's because back in the day, characters weren't only distingiushed by details, but also by shere size.

Well when I say back in the day, I'm thinking further back than that. ;)

Raab
01-10-2007, 22:14
Okay, my "back in the day" was when the slotta base was already invented, shortly before the "Red Peroid" of Fantasy Chaos, so I guess I really can't speak for everybody then. :D

carlisimo
02-10-2007, 01:19
Just look at Orks... in post-Gorkamorka 2nd edition, Trukk drivers were to scale! They blew up the most, imo, and that's not a good thing in a horde army.

I don't think there was anything more insidious than an attempt to get more detail in. But it's a bit out of hand and I'm very glad to hear WHFB is getting it under control.

Oh and... new Banshees were released for 4th edition? I'm surprised. I didn't have any in 2nd, and bought 3rd edition Banshees because they had shuriken pistols... yeah, they're big next to my other Eldar. Especially next to my 2nd edition Hunger Striking Scorpions!

Dr Death
02-10-2007, 11:03
Well there are two forces at work here: 1) Scale creep, and 2) Reimagining of the races. There has definately been some scale creep as in the case of humans (compare the 5th edition empire plastics to this new lot- there's certainly an increase in size) and the range has evolved from about 25mm 'back in the day' to nearer 30mm now.

On the other hand a lot of it has to do with design. Orcs are the biggest example of this which have evolved out of recognition from the Tolkienian runts they started as. The Eldar while still being slight have developed an athletic build and far greater emphesis on the upper body (a change which i wholeheartedly support). This has, as in the above cases, spurred models to become bigger and bigger.

Dr Death

synapse
04-10-2007, 16:01
one set of models i cant wait to seriously be victimised by scale creep are 5th edition marines.
hopefully theyll be the right scale

scratchbuilt
04-10-2007, 20:54
The Eldar while still being slight have developed an athletic build and far greater emphesis on the upper body (a change which i wholeheartedly support). This has, as in the above cases, spurred models to become bigger and bigger.

Dr Death

Booo! Booooooo! Hissss! Note of displeasure!