PDA

View Full Version : A Salvo of Questions Dakka! Dakka!

ro9an
30-09-2007, 19:21
hello!

1. If I print out my own decal sheets with logos of GW chapters/legion for SM is this allowed in tournys?

2. Anybody in the UK play a pre-heresy legion, is this allowed at tournys?

3. Which legion should I collect, luna wolves, night lords or emperors children for a pre-heresy legion?

4. if I print out my own decal sheets where do I get the transfer paper from?

round over...

plus...

?. Is it still possible to buy the non-GW titans (can't remeber the brand) any where, and how much are they?

and, the Bell of lost souls blog (belloflostsouls.blogspot.com?) is great!

Thanks

Slaaneshi Slave
30-09-2007, 19:25
Hi there!

1. Who is going to know?

2. Sure its allowed. They are your models, paint them however you like.

3. Which legion do you prefer? ;)

4. Bell of Lost Souls (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/) has some great articles and transfer sheets on this exact subject.

?. Armorcast Titans are still readily available on Ebay. I'm not sure how many of them are actually originals and how many are copies though.

IJW
30-09-2007, 19:25
1. If it's GW imagery, this is illegal. As in against the law, not just 'can I use it in a tourney'.

2. Plenty, why wouldn't it be allowed?

3 No idea.

4. First make sure that it's only your designs...

ro9an
30-09-2007, 19:43
1. If it's GW imagery, this is illegal. As in against the law, not just 'can I use it in a tourney'.

2. Plenty, why wouldn't it be allowed?

3 No idea.

4. First make sure that it's only your designs...

how can i tell if the legion icons are copyrighted material... I.e. luna wolves?

Slaaneshi Slave
30-09-2007, 19:45
If they are on Bell of Lost Souls you have permission to use them, because GW have never done them. If they are copyright GW it will say on the item. if it doesn't feel free to do what you want with it.

Torga_DW
30-09-2007, 20:57
I can't imagine GW will give a flying ******* if you make decals of their symbols to use on your army. After all, they don't go after ppl who make banners of primarchs/that sort of stuff for their chapters. Just as long as its for personal use and you don't try to sell/distribute them when they're done. Thats my opinion. As to where you'd get decal paper, i have no idea.

Likewise, you can make a pre-heresy legion if you want, no-one will object and you'll probably get some kudos for being original. Just as long as they adhere to a legal codex there'll be no problems. Hope this helps.

the1stpip
30-09-2007, 21:27
I know you can get transfer paper and sets from the 'Hobby' catalogue (not a GW catalogue). I get it from my local train and model plane shop, so that might be worth a look.

ro9an
01-10-2007, 12:08
Alright then as I start think about my Lunar Wolves these are pre-heresy ideas...

All dreadnaghts will be the mark 4s? the forgeworld ones...
Terminators have no crux terminus... but would they have different helmets?
helmets on standard marines... roughly 5% mark 2 60% mark 5; 40% mark 6; 5% mark 8...
forgeworld pre heresy lanraiders anything else?

rivers3162
01-10-2007, 12:16
www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk

I've ordered from them before and they're very good. If you can't find iny in a loacl train or hobby shop then I'd say here was the best place.

ro9an
01-10-2007, 12:53
thanks river and the kyle

ro9an
01-10-2007, 12:55
but what type is it that i need?

destroyerlord
01-10-2007, 13:07
I hardly think that printing out decals for personal use only on your models would be considered illegal. How is that any different to painting the symbols yourself? Especially considering the fact that GW's intellectual property exists primarily for use in making your army and painting it in an inspired fashion. As long as you don't try to either claim the symbols for your own work or sell the decals you printed.

Nurglitch_PS
01-10-2007, 13:13

Meaning that if I start playing Dark Angels again (I used to some 10 years ago) and paint the Dark Angels' symbols on their shoulderpads, as GW encourages me to, I'm commiting a crime?

That's a novel way of looking at it.

ro9an
01-10-2007, 13:19
i just wondered bearing in mind that gw lawyers seem to be very active...

Gwedd
01-10-2007, 13:42
[QUOTE=IJW;1962182]1. If it's GW imagery, this is illegal. As in against the law, not just 'can I use it in a tourney'.
QUOTE]

Comrade,

Not true, mate. Under international fair copyright laws, you can make copies of anything you wish, as long as it is for your personal use. You can make your own decals from GW images, artwork, etc. That is NO DIFFERENT than if he painted them by hand. As long as he isn't making decals and then selling them or giving them away as decal sets, then it is a perfectly fair use of GWIP and well within the law. In fact, he could also make decals and use them on minis he paints and sells to other folks. That is functionally no different than hand-painting them.

However, he CANNOT legally make decals and sell them as such or even trade them or give them away to another.

Respects,

IJW
01-10-2007, 13:50
Not true, mate. Under international fair copyright laws, you can make copies of anything you wish, as long as it is for your personal use.
You are confusing 'copyright' and 'fair use'. The two are not the same thing, and fair use changes drastically from country to country. In most countries you do NOT have the automatic right to copy something for your own use, and even in the US it would be dodgy.

Painting the logos is a better point. :(

ro9an
01-10-2007, 15:04
you see I know this and with my scythes its not a problem but luna wolves logo is a abit more fiddly

Gwedd
01-10-2007, 21:24
You are confusing 'copyright' and 'fair use'. The two are not the same thing, and fair use changes drastically from country to country. In most countries you do NOT have the automatic right to copy something for your own use, and even in the US it would be dodgy.

Painting the logos is a better point. :(

Comrade,

This very day I ran this idea past our own corporate attorney, the one who does our own IP support, and he sees no problem with it under US law.

The EU may be different, and I'm not foing to fisk that kettle of fish here, but under US law, there's no problem with making your own decals from other's IP as long as they are for your own personal use.

ro9an
03-10-2007, 17:25
legal showdown!

Cherubael
03-10-2007, 17:55
Speaking as someone who has studied UK law, copying the images and using them for your own decals is acceptable only if you are the only one to use them. Any attempt to sell or trade or allow others to use them would be breaking the law, as others have said.

This is somewhat a mute point as if you look at older Codexes featuring the symbols they have a disclaimer saying that the images can be photocopied for personal use. There is nothing to stop you photocopying them from the older books onto to transfer paper.

Grazzy
03-10-2007, 18:23
Cherubael looks like he know what he is talking about. I should think there would be no problems with using preheresy decals and armies - some variation on all of the marine armies has to be a good thing!

ro9an
31-10-2007, 18:51
Speaking as someone who has studied UK law ... This is somewhat a mute point

without...

1. Being a bit of a knob for thread-mancy
2. Being a bit of a knob for commenting on someones spelling given the frankly atroticious state of my own

isn't it moot point... unless mute point is some great new invention

Lawyer: Have You seen this man before?
Witness: Well... (mute button pressed) ...................................

making the invidual unprosacutable... genius!