PDA

View Full Version : How to kill Necrons...

firestorm40k
02-09-2005, 15:07
Hello, I have been pondering of late exactly what it is about the psychic potential of most life in the 40k Universe which is abhorrent to the Necrons (and the C'tan).

I've been wondering if there is something about this, or the human soul, or whatever, which has something to do with a weakness of the Necrons.

What got me on to this is stuff in their fluff and rules about other armies psykers, also how the Pariah's are supposed to represent the Necron's vision of evolution (certainly human).

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Thanks for looking! :D

Mikko
02-09-2005, 15:14
The C'tan find living souls (our psychic manifestations) a delicacy, I understand...

Vosk
02-09-2005, 16:15
The C'tan do not mix well with the Warp. The C'tan (being a cloud of energy)are of this dimension, souls/psychic energy are of another (the Warp). The two simply do not mix. This is why C'tan don't get sucked into the Warp when hit by a Wraithcannon or whatever. Their energy is tied to this realm, and cannot leave it (hence the Talismans bringing the Warp to them, rather than the other way around). If a C'tan is subjected to large enough amounts of Warp energy then... well no-one really knows do they? It's never been recorded as happening (it "might" have in the case of Vaul vs the Dragon, and if it did then it's not lethal to the C'tan, since the Dragon is still with us).

Also, all of this adversity to the Warp is of a C'tan origin - it doesn't really have much to do with the Necrons themselves. The Pariah project is a C'tan scheme to help them combat the infestation of psychic races this galaxy is suffering from - but Pariah's aren't Necrons.

TheSonOfAbbadon
02-09-2005, 16:23
If a C'tan is subjected to large enough amounts of Warp energy then... well no-one really knows do they? It's never been recorded as happening (it "might" have in the case of Vaul vs the Dragon, and if it did then it's not lethal to the C'tan, since the Dragon is still with us).

It still might be lethal to C'tan, but the Dragon was the strongest of them all.

It's too bad that all but 1 of the Talismans of Vaul were destroyed...

Vosk
02-09-2005, 18:16
It still might be lethal to C'tan, but the Dragon was the strongest of them all.

It's too bad that all but 1 of the Talismans of Vaul were destroyed...

Not from where I'm sitting... :p

But you make a good point. Had the Deceiver been hit by the Blackstones then he may well have been destroyed.

ryng_sting
02-09-2005, 18:39
Pyskers and the warp are anathema to the C'tan and the Necrons because they are based wholly in the physical world, using science and energy to achieve their ends. The Old Ones nurtured the growth of life forms with a closer link to the warp, able to use its soul-fuelled energies to fight them. This is why they plan to seal off the warp from the physical world - to totally deny its usage to their enemies. It would also permanently keep Chaos out of the physical world.

Mikko
02-09-2005, 22:06
Nope. They like our physical life-force, not our warp-borne souls.
Ah. I stand corrected.

Khaine's Messenger
02-09-2005, 22:32
weakness of the Necrons.

Depends to some extent how you think of Necrontyr technology as working (originally, many fanfics that included Necrons based a large amount of Necron Clarke's Law tech on the warp--including the Veil of Darkness and the Gauss Flayer; I've even supposed that Necron inertialess drives utillize warp-based "mass-lightening"--but given their predeliction for loathing all things psionic/etheric, I really doubt it), as most of its inherent weaknesses would follow from that rather than any inherent flaws relating to how they interact with the warp.

Anybody got any thoughts on this?

IMHO, the Warp is anathema to the C'tan because it is formless energy that cannot be easily consumed, as one sip as from a cup of it would be to try and consume an endless ocean (cue Star Trek analogy: "just like putting too much air in a balloon!"); the necrodermis technology seems to protect them from the wilds of the warp when they are in it (well, if we are to accept the arguments about the tainting of Khaine), but while in the warp it would seem they are powerless, mainly because their powers primarily depend on mastery of underlying physical properties of the material universe, and in the warp those laws do not hold sway except in those refuges of reality that are artificially created; it is also this unordered energy that can easily wound them, but then that is not something that is really all that special in their case except to point out that is indeed one of the few things that can wound them (that is, the actual C'tan, and not the necrodermis per se).

And on the one hand, it would be interesting to portray the warp as a drug or eternal font (after all, the C'tan are "energy vampires," and the warp is commonly portrayed as a boundless energy source); this, instead of the consumption of fellow C'tan, could be the cause of the Outsider's insanity. And from the perspective of the C'tan, since the Necrons and the C'tan could theoretically be "invisible" in the warp, they could pass through it utterly unmolested by anything other than the warp's own "physical" forces (hence the suppositions made by those old fanfics), much as mankind's first probes and the Iron Men were supposedly ignored by warp-beings. But if that were so, then the Great Work would be shooting themselves in the foot, so you either have to make a good case for why they'd want to do that, or suppose that something else is going on....

Talkie Toaster
03-09-2005, 19:13
To fight Khaine, the Nightbringer didn't neccesarily have to enter the warp. A lot of evidence seems to point to the eldar Gods having mortal avatars/being mortals turned into Gods, so a physical confrontation wouldn't be out of the question.

Khaine's Messenger
03-09-2005, 19:21
I was speaking more about the fate of Khaine (the supposed incorporation of necrodermis shards and MvS's unofficial timeline that suggests that Khaine got re-banished to the warp and the necrodermis kept Khaine marginally seperate from the rest fo Khorne's consciousness) than the confrontation itself.

Vosk
04-09-2005, 00:07
Depends to some extent how you think of Necrontyr technology as working (originally, many fanfics that included Necrons based a large amount of Necron Clarke's Law tech on the warp--including the Veil of Darkness and the Gauss Flayer; I've even supposed that Necron inertialess drives utillize warp-based "mass-lightening"--but given their predeliction for loathing all things psionic/etheric, I really doubt it), as most of its inherent weaknesses would follow from that rather than any inherent flaws relating to how they interact with the warp.

I'd not heard of this before - could you (or anyone else for that matter) direct me towards some of this? Even if it is no longer canon, it would still be an interesting read.

IMHO, the Warp is anathema to the C'tan because it is formless energy that cannot be easily consumed, as one sip as from a cup of it would be to try and consume an endless ocean (cue Star Trek analogy: "just like putting too much air in a balloon!"); the necrodermis technology seems to protect them from the wilds of the warp when they are in it (well, if we are to accept the arguments about the tainting of Khaine), but while in the warp it would seem they are powerless, mainly because their powers primarily depend on mastery of underlying physical properties of the material universe, and in the warp those laws do not hold sway except in those refuges of reality that are artificially created; it is also this unordered energy that can easily wound them, but then that is not something that is really all that special in their case except to point out that is indeed one of the few things that can wound them (that is, the actual C'tan, and not the necrodermis per se).

Few things here. First, is the warp actually "energy" in the same sense that energy exists in our dimension? Second, when has a C'tan ever actually been in the warp? So far the only evidence that I've seen on the subject points in the opposite direction (though admittedly it's based on a tabletop rule rather than fluff, but the two are "linked" :p), and suggests that the C'tan literally cannot enter the warp. That in itself could be a reason for their loathing of the warp - it is the one place they can never enter and conquer.

Xhalax
04-09-2005, 00:11
But you make a good point. Had the Deceiver been hit by the Blackstones then he may well have been destroyed.

Indude.
Or at least might have said something along the lines of 'Ouch!'

Lord Balor
04-09-2005, 01:42
Bah, you don't need the BlackStone Fortresses for destroying the C'Tan. They failed, been corrupted, eaten Eldrads Soul and blasted away at Cadia and the Necron Fleets. Their next destination is the Crone Worlds...but thats another story...

The C'Tan are in a race for thier lives none the less. Their master plan to cut off real space from warp space is competing against Humanity's own plan for the Hydra (which would far supass anything Vaul had in mind) and the question is which will reach completion first.

Both seem a bit hazy to me as one plan, long and forgotten is 20 years in the making and the other tacked onto the 40K universe at the very last minute.

TheSonOfAbbadon
04-09-2005, 16:50
The C'Tan are in a race for thier lives none the less. Their master plan to cut off real space from warp space is competing against Humanity's own plan for the Hydra (which would far supass anything Vaul had in mind) and the question is which will reach completion first.

What's the Hydra?

Inquisitor Maul
04-09-2005, 16:53
It's from Inquisition War. A group of Rouge Illuminati (psykers who've survived possession and gained imunity to daemons) tried (tries?) to create an entity that will bind all of humanity into one single will (or something like that, can't remember the details). Though, some belive this willl simply cause a huge meltdown and bring forth the 5:th Chaos God

Psiweapon
05-09-2005, 02:53
Uh Oh. Fifth chaos god? That sounds like trouble. And wouldn't Malal be jealous of it?

Vosk
05-09-2005, 11:16
Ha, that would be an excellent example of humanity being responsible for its own destruction. Humans survive because of their variety and the racial ability to produce individuals that all set out in their own way - one of those ways is bound to be right. It's a bit like throwing a million darts at a dart board - one is bound to get the 60. A single will governing all humanity would be an end to this. It might be highly successful in the short term, but unsustainable. Humans are not Tyranids.

halo
05-09-2005, 11:32
intersesting debate,but call me shirley !,would this mean that any necron tomb worlds in or around the Eye of Terror would be easier to plunder when discovered.
I may have missed something here,but wouldn't that give the chaos legions access to more technology?
A hungover thought,my head hurts.

Khaine's Messenger
06-09-2005, 16:21
I'd not heard of this before - could you (or anyone else for that matter) direct me towards some of this? Even if it is no longer canon, it would still be an interesting read.

No, because it's all completely fanfiction that's strewn about the 'net, and are thus quite possibly lost to the ether (and I never bookmarked any of them, either); this on top of none of them being canon.

First, is the warp actually "energy" in the same sense that energy exists in our dimension?

Bluntly? Most likely not. It's suggested that the warp is immune to our physical laws, and that to try to define it with such is an exercise doomed to failure. However, the idea of energy being basically formless is what largely fuels the idea that the warp is a place built of "pure energy" (which is itself a largely nonsensical concept).

Second, when has a C'tan ever actually been in the warp?

No; I clarified my meaning on this in the above statements about MvS's theoretical "timeline" of the involvement of the necrodermis-tainted Khaine, who by dint of his "taint" was able to remain a semi-independant arm of Khorne after having been banished back to the warp. There are a lot of odd circumstances about this, of course--number one, that the necrodermis pieces in question were bonded to Khaine, who is a whole different manner of "energy being" than a C'tan, and number two, that this different manner of energy being already had a warp-affinity that could have protected it. So there are some rather large distortions in what I said, I'll admit.

mooby
06-09-2005, 20:20
AN ABSOLUTELY HUGE SUPER SOAKER 40k

TheSonOfAbbadon
06-09-2005, 21:11
Necrons don't actually have any electrics to speak of, they are merely sentient metal skeletons who are "powered" by pure energy. Therefore, a super soaker would be useless.

FieronThor
07-09-2005, 11:21
I think in the fluff thay talked about the Necrons having magnetic fields to stabilise nanotech at atomic sizes. Surely if you disrupt th magnetic filds then at east it'll be difficult for necrons to take as much damage as they can.

halo
07-09-2005, 11:32
I think in the fluff thay talked about the Necrons having magnetic fields to stabilise nanotech at atomic sizes. Surely if you disrupt th magnetic filds then at east it'll be difficult for necrons to take as much damage as they can.

Sounds plausable, but you would need a bloody great orbiting EMP weapon, remembering that all that lovely Imperial tech would be affected to.
Also since it is their energy that powers the shells they are trapped in, it may only effect their self repair mechs ?

FieronThor
07-09-2005, 11:40
I think it could be possible to develop tech in which the emp blast would rather be a beam of some sort. All theoretical of course.

halo
07-09-2005, 15:00
Ahh, a coherant EMP beam weapon, I must command my forgemaster and techmarines to knock one up immediately.

Kage2020
07-09-2005, 15:14
I think it could be possible to develop tech in which the emp blast would rather be a beam of some sort. All theoretical of course.
Are not 'microwave guns' supposedly meant to have some form of EMP effect?

Kage

halo
07-09-2005, 16:00
Are not 'microwave guns' supposedly meant to have some form of EMP effect?

Kage

Not ot sure about that.Concentrated they agitate water molecules generating heat ,blah,blah. good for brain bursting. most electromagnetic radiation have effect on their surroundings but would it be enough to shut down a Necron ship?
But a valid question, i'm probably wrong.
Checked out the Anargo sector project,looks good,shall puruse it further later.

Norminator
07-09-2005, 16:38
Personally, I think a well timed EMP would sort out the Necrons...

FieronThor
07-09-2005, 16:56
A sort of 'Goldeneye' (Bond film) weapon but slightly more powerful. However this would mean that the Necrons would not of thouht of EMP proofing their technology.

halo
07-09-2005, 17:43
ah yes, an orbiting station of destruction. Probably towed by some rightheously devout
techmarine, glorifying in its sanctity a true gift from the omnissiah.
Excellent ( in a suitable Mr. Burns fashion).
A different point though, I replied on an earlier thread. That if Necrons are affected by psykers and thus the warp, are they easier prey in the Eye of Terror.

FieronThor
07-09-2005, 20:24
I don't think they can be damaged like humans in the Eye of Terror. I severely doubt any Necron will even go near the EOT. They'd be far happier staying outside and building pylons like those on Cadia.

halo
07-09-2005, 20:37
Ah!, But the question is, were there tombs present prior to the creation of slanesh or not.

Bmaxwell
07-09-2005, 20:37
we all know what happens to a c'tan when they get put in the warp they just cease to exist at the point but a acauall necron warroir might be able to survie considering that they are just simply machines

FieronThor
07-09-2005, 22:16
There were tombs prior to Slaanesh's birth because the tombs were constructed around the times of the Old Ones. I would of thought that the tombs would have some sort of device to stop people just allowing the warp to engulf a stasis world.

Vosk
08-09-2005, 00:08
we all know what happens to a c'tan when they get put in the warp they just cease to exist at the point but a acauall necron warroir might be able to survie considering that they are just simply machines

No C'tan has ever been in the Warp to our knowledge though - we just assume that it would have a bad effect on them because of the word "anathema" and because half of their minions and plans seem based around shutting it out. It could all be because shutting off the Warp would make their cattle-races easier to control.

halo
08-09-2005, 15:12

But aren't they machines powered by the life energy of the Necrontyr?
I thought this was the price they paid for immortality, though they also lost their freedom of thought and will.
Since the C'tan feed of life energy and not souls they should,theoretically still be adverse to the warp.

Vosk
08-09-2005, 16:08
But aren't they machines powered by the life energy of the Necrontyr?
I thought this was the price they paid for immortality, though they also lost their freedom of thought and will.
Since the C'tan feed of life energy and not souls they should,theoretically still be adverse to the warp.

Did the Necrons have a "soul" in the first place though? Really, a soul in the 40k sense is just a special warp presence.

Mikko
08-09-2005, 22:22
Did the Necrons have a "soul" in the first place though? Really, a soul in the 40k sense is just a special warp presence.
Which, I would guess, is one thing the Necrontyr lost when they became the Necrons, immortal but devoid of individuality and free will.

mooby
09-09-2005, 12:06
why not stick to the usual method of leaving them alone and then making them eat warp energy (can you guess that i love wraith guns?) as I beleive some where it was once written that the necrons can't in any way travel through the warp and are affected by it in a bad way.

I apologise for the super soaker comment

FieronThor
09-09-2005, 12:16
Not all races have 'wraithgun' tech, and those that do are far too limited in number.

halo
09-09-2005, 14:26
Now this is where it could get interesting!
Xenos technology could supply the answer to the threat of the dread Necron.
However using said technologies,captured weapons,artifacts, the occassional
daemonhost could all be frowned upon, by various bodies Inquistional bodies.
But what if these technologies were studied,taken apart and rebuilt in a more familiar form.
A devastator squad armed with wraithguns sounds appealing, if not heresey.
But to survive wouldn't a chapter master take whatever steps necessary to protect the Imperium and humanity.

Nazguire
10-09-2005, 12:19
Now this is where it could get interesting!
Xenos technology could supply the answer to the threat of the dread Necron.
However using said technologies,captured weapons,artifacts, the occassional
daemonhost could all be frowned upon, by various bodies Inquistional bodies.
But what if these technologies were studied,taken apart and rebuilt in a more familiar form.
A devastator squad armed with wraithguns sounds appealing, if not heresey.
But to survive wouldn't a chapter master take whatever steps necessary to protect the Imperium and humanity.

That's what we thought about the Ultramarines, and even when the Battle of Macragge looked grim, they still just about refused to relent from the Codex Astartes.

When you are a Chapter Master, or Space Marine in general, you have such faith in your Primarch/Emperor/Chapter etc that you think anything that deviates from it is nearly heresy in the extreme. Only grudgingly would they move away from it.

FieronThor
10-09-2005, 15:19
It's a testament to the Codex Astartes I think that the Ultramarines have been able to win so many battles and survive, even when they follow the Codex Astartes so strictly.

Vosk
10-09-2005, 16:44
It's a testament to the Codex Astartes I think that the Ultramarines have been able to win so many battles and survive, even when they follow the Codex Astartes so strictly.

I think it's more of a testament to the Ultramarines themselves, personally. They get a lot of flak for some reason, but they are easily one of my favourite Space marine Chapters - the real image of "courage and honour" in a bleak Imperium. It is actually, dare I say it, far more interesting to see a Chapter such as the Ultramarines rather than another tragic, flawed, unforgiven or otherwise grim army of Space Marines.

As far as the mass implementation of Xenos technology against the Necrons goes - I think you're forgetting that we're dealing with the Imperium here. Aside from the problems they would have in finding, using and justifying Xenos technology, you must remember that they know far less about the Necrons (and even less about the C'tan) than we, as gamers, do.

Right now the current Imperial thinking on how best to combat the Necrons is to use more Plasma Guns. A rare few intellectuals theorise that maybe the Eldar Blackstones were made to fight the C'tan, but that's about as far as they get - these theories are challengedm frowned upon and generally regarded as mad ravings. In short, the Imperium simply doesn't recognise the Necrons as the threat that they are. An Imperial saying goes something like "It doesn't matter if a hundred planets fall or a trillion men die for no reason - there are a million other worlds in the Imperium, and so nothing can really harm us on a large scale".

Thanks to this line of thought, the Imperium will happily trundle along as it does now, until all of a sudden one day they find that they are shut off from their souls as the C'tan complete their Great Work, or that all of a sudden the entire left half of the Galaxy is submerged in Tyranids. Such threats are things that we know about, and were we in command of the whole Imperium may well have a chance to stop. However, the Imperium itself doesn't have that luxuary. Ignorance will bring how the Imperium.

FieronThor
10-09-2005, 17:27
Most knowledge about the Necrons that the Imperium has is safely hidden in vaults beneath the Golden Thorne. Those that read it are deemed blasphemous and heretics. Therefore like you say the Imperium will be thinking in a very narrow channel on how to kill Necrons. The AdMech do seem to conducting field research on tomb worlds, but they seem to be more interested in learning tech from them, rather than trying to defeat them.

halo
10-09-2005, 18:18
This is what makes the hobby so great. We the gamer, have access to all the knowledge throughout the 40k Universe, if we spend time to dig it up.

The Imperium is archaic, slowly trundling forward, hoping to achieve the Emperors dream of a united human universe. Though the answers to many of their problems could be found in utilising alien technology, the thought of doing so, as it has been already stated, is a complete non starter.

The Necron ( and the 'nids), exsist to devour life, these are not only possibly the greatest threats to threaten the Imperium but also the other races within the universe. So, couldn't it be possible that some forward thinking Inquistor or Chapters may see the old adage, "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend"
and act upon it.Even in regards to technology.

This thread has given me plenty of food for thought the Chapter i am creating will be Necron busting, I hope!

Nazguire
11-09-2005, 07:18

That is the skill of the Ultramarines, I would dare to believe. Sure the Codex Astartes is a great little tome of tactics/strategies/Space Marine Pin Up Girls, but it is still really just a book. The Ultramarines saved Macragge, not the Codex.

FieronThor
11-09-2005, 13:52
They did save Macragge, but in that instance Calgar had to deviate from the Codex and think up some tactics of his own. I'm just find it slightly peculiar that Chaos marines get a copy of the and they have pretty much how a Marine force will fight.

Vosk
11-09-2005, 15:15
At the time there was nothing in Codex Astartes about fighting a living wave of clawed monsters that had recently been on a planet eating tour though. If anything, it would be the Ultramarines that would "add" to the Codex Astartes on the subject of Tyranids. Something they must be intensely proud of.

halo
11-09-2005, 15:56
At the time there was nothing in Codex Astartes about fighting a living wave of clawed monsters that had recently been on a planet eating tour though. If anything, it would be the Ultramarines that would "add" to the Codex Astartes on the subject of Tyranids. Something they must be intensely proud of.

All to true, but wouldn't the Codex have been updated every time a new threat was encountered and engaged?
i.e Tau, Necron etc.
Given the state of Imperium communications, entire chapters could be wiped out before receiving any helpful,relevant combat data. Which I guess has probably been going on.

FieronThor
11-09-2005, 16:39
No I do nt criticise the Ultramarines for thinking up tactics against the Tyranids, but merely that the Codex is the most definitive text in the Imperium and should the enemies of the Imperium gain a copy, they would learn a great deal about the Space Marines an ho they fight.

Vosk
11-09-2005, 21:08
No I do nt criticise the Ultramarines for thinking up tactics against the Tyranids, but merely that the Codex is the most definitive text in the Imperium and should the enemies of the Imperium gain a copy, they would learn a great deal about the Space Marines an ho they fight.

Yes this is very true. However I would think that any enemy that really needs to know how the Space Marines fight would be able to piece the information together themselves. The only foes I can really see taking good, solid advantage of the Codex Astartes are the Traitor Legions.

In fact, now that I think about it, they already have. The Alpha Legion used a set up that the Codex would sneer at (and so the Ultramarines were unprepared for). This is back in the time of the Heresy, when the Ultramarines invaded the Alpha Legion planet (I forget its name, or if it was even their homeworld, but that's not important). The point is that the Ultramarines followed Codex doctrine (as Alpharius knew they would) and assaulted Alpharius's base itself. Guilleman (how do you spell that anyway?!) fought Alpharius in single combat and killed killed him, fully expecting the Alpha Legion to callapse in short order. This wasn't the case - they fought on and actually forced the Ultramarines off the planet (this isn't that the Ultramarines will tell you though), for they had developed a set of battlefield tactics totally alien to those of the Codex Astartes. They did not rely on a single leader for one thing - something Guilleman was totally unprepared for.

Nazguire
12-09-2005, 06:21
Yes this is very true. However I would think that any enemy that really needs to know how the Space Marines fight would be able to piece the information together themselves. The only foes I can really see taking good, solid advantage of the Codex Astartes are the Traitor Legions.

In fact, now that I think about it, they already have. The Alpha Legion used a set up that the Codex would sneer at (and so the Ultramarines were unprepared for). This is back in the time of the Heresy, when the Ultramarines invaded the Alpha Legion planet (I forget its name, or if it was even their homeworld, but that's not important). The point is that the Ultramarines followed Codex doctrine (as Alpharius knew they would) and assaulted Alpharius's base itself. Guilleman (how do you spell that anyway?!) fought Alpharius in single combat and killed killed him, fully expecting the Alpha Legion to callapse in short order. This wasn't the case - they fought on and actually forced the Ultramarines off the planet (this isn't that the Ultramarines will tell you though), for they had developed a set of battlefield tactics totally alien to those of the Codex Astartes. They did not rely on a single leader for one thing - something Guilleman was totally unprepared for.

Which is something bizarre in itself. Wouldn't Roboute Guilliman realised that the backbone of an army doesn't rely on one bombastic individual? He wasn't stupid by any stretch of the imagination so to believe that an enemy such as the Alpha Legion would simply give up is unbelievable.

charlie_c67
12-09-2005, 11:37
Err thought the point of that Alpha legion vs Ultras fight was that Guilliman abandoned the codex ideal by 'porting in, taking out Alpharius and then trying to carry on the fight.

FieronThor
12-09-2005, 18:19
But you'd have to say it did backfire badly for the Ultramarines in the end.

charlie_c67
12-09-2005, 21:51
Yup, the fact that Gulliman went against his much vaunted codex proved Alpharius' point. Part of the reason the Al's symbol is now a hydra.

Jaq Draco
14-09-2005, 03:10
umm we are discussing Alpha Legion vs Ultramarines, in a how to kill necrons thread.

ok back on track.

killing necrons, because of the nano machine repair, and the WBB stuff, basically it woudl prolly take a hell of a lot of big power weapons, to smash them beyond the point of repair,

yep causing lots of damage and casualties to enforce the phase out

halo
14-09-2005, 16:31
umm we are discussing Alpha Legion vs Ultramarines, in a how to kill necrons thread.

ok back on track.

killing necrons, because of the nano machine repair, and the WBB stuff, basically it woudl prolly take a hell of a lot of big power weapons, to smash them beyond the point of repair,

yep causing lots of damage and casualties to enforce the phase out

Yes back on track.
Now then u suggest the use of mass heavy armourment, which is quite right, blast the shiny buggers with as many las/plasma cannon as u can.
Only problem is that this unbalances your army to a certain degree and them goodies ain't cheap. A problem i'm trying to over come for my own army.( A test list is posted in the army list thread under The Halo Guard - please comment).
Also Necrons comminicate via some form of electronic telepathy, could this be nullified.

halo
14-09-2005, 18:26
Well, archaic I know, but if you consider what has been written about the Necron Lords giving their orders silently.
Obviously for such a high tech species as the Necrontyr, it must be more complicated than radio.
But seeing that they have no organic componants, they are not accessing the warp to communicate are they?

Vosk
14-09-2005, 18:57
Electronic telepathy? Kind of like...radio?

Really, we don't know how the Necrons communicate. They could conceivably not be "communicating" at all. Has anyone ever read "Prey" by Michael Crichton? It describes machines (well, nano machines) which each share the same basic programming, and sinply know what to do and how to act by what the other members of their swarm are doing. Bit far fetched and full of holes for the Necrons, but it does illustrate that anything is possible with them really.

Marshal Draziel
14-09-2005, 20:10
How to beat Necrons?? hmmm... thats a though one...

I know it! Get a hacker to send Backdoor trojans to each tomb world!

That'll slow em' down considerably!! ( or use DeathWatch killteams to
infiltrate their tombs and collect any data needed to the further destruction of their race)

Know the enemy

halo
15-09-2005, 17:23
How to beat Necrons?? hmmm... thats a though one...

I know it! Get a hacker to send Backdoor trojans to each tomb world!

That'll slow em' down considerably!! ( or use DeathWatch killteams to
infiltrate their tombs and collect any data needed to the further destruction of their race)

Know the enemy

Pity that in the 40k universe, adepts spend more time praying to their machines than realising their a piece of kit.
But tomb raiding is something I'm interested in.

I want to use a specialised vet kill team in my army, and could I use kraken rounds, Tomb raider/robot hunter abilities?
How many vets? How much?Power weapons etc.
I don't want an entire army of Necron busters just a small versatile bunch who kick robot ****.