PDA

View Full Version : Live Gigs That've Rocked Your World

He Who Laughs
02-09-2005, 15:12
I've just got back from a live concert. Not just any concert. This was the most awesome concert I've been to. And I've been to many - Tool, Pearl Jam, Deftones, Audioslave, Metallica, Muse, Sparta, Butterfly Effect - but out of all, this past evening has been the most intense, rocking, hardcore live music experience I've ever had. The bands that were playing?

The True Aussie and Kiwi Gods of Metal and Rock - Cog and Shihad.

I'm a huge Cog fan - I've followed them since I first heard them live at Wollongong Unibar back in 2002. As expected, they rocked out - opening with "Doors", playing an absolute kickarse version of "Open Up" and after an hour of near-orgasmic songs from their latest album, finished with "My Enemy" as Luke Gower (bassisit) stood above us on an off-stage equipment box, and belted it out. I was blown away - I thought that my night was perfect.

Then Shihad came on. Johnny Toogood (lead singer+guitarist) cranked open the stage from the first chord, and the night went from perfect to insanely *******' heavenly-hardcore awesome. We helped Karl play his bass at the end of a song. We helped Johnny Toogood stay upright when he decided to step out onto the security fence and rock out from there. We cheered as Johnny jumped off the stage, cordless guitar in hand, and did a lap of the arena - pausing only to stand on the mixing desk to blast out the final chords. Johnny knocked his microphone stand off the stage onto my mate Michaels head - I've never seen Michael so happy in my life.

I didn't know half the songs - but it was the most intense, insane, slab of adrenaline packed live music I've ever been too - and even beats Deftones hands down. If you live in Melbourne or Adelaide, and haven't got tickets for this weekends shows - buy them, now.

I'd like to hear other peoples reviews and experiences of live music gigs that have just blown them away - what has rocked your world?

Charax
02-09-2005, 15:20
Electric 6 at the UEA last year.

The sheer extent to which it wasted my time and money rocked my world.

Vaya
02-09-2005, 15:28
Flogging Molly. I never cought them live, until this year on Groezrock in Belgium. A friend of mine didn't want to be in the pit, so he asked us where he should stand. We figured out that halfway in the tent was a good plan.

Little did we know that the WHOLE tent would be the pit. :D

That, and the first live show of Bad Religion I saw.

Wiseman
02-09-2005, 15:35
Youth Alive at the brisbane entertainment center was great, i wanted to go see MXPX tomorrow night and Reel Big Fish in a couple of weeks, but still not 18 so cant go:(

Vaya
02-09-2005, 15:39
Do you have to be of legal age to see shows?

Hooray for Holland! :D

He Who Laughs
02-09-2005, 15:42
That sucks diddimz, so many great bands - so few under 18 gigs. Being a Brisbane man, would you have had the chance to see Butterfly Effect play? They are on par with Cog, and I've seen them a couple of times - fortunate enoughto stand right next to (literally, it was a low step stage) them whilst the rocked out at the Oxford here in the Gong. If you can go see them play - I highly recommend it.

He Who Laughs
02-09-2005, 15:43
Do you have to be of legal age to see shows?

Hooray for Holland! :D

For a lot of venues - the ticket prices only cover what the band is paid, and so for the venue to make money, they have to seel lots of alcohol - hence the fact that most gigs in Oz are over 18 gigs.

Vaya
02-09-2005, 15:56
Euhh, well, here you have to be 16 or 18 (depending on whether it's 'normal' alcohol or liquor) to buy alcohol. But that doesn't forbid you to go to places where alcohol is served/ cosumed in large quantities.

Punk and metal concerts in Holland usually have a couple of young teenagers walking about the place. As long as they're with a guide who is of legal age, it's okay. But that's easy, since you take your 14-year old brother with you as soon as you are 18.

Frodo34x
02-09-2005, 16:08
Seeing Rammstein at the SECC in July this year. It was my first proper gig, and was totally awesome.

Wez
02-09-2005, 19:48
My two favourite live bands have to be:

Rammstein
No real pits, fairly passive crowd, but absolutely awesome stage-show. Only slightly spoiled by the drunk chav-child who decided to take a **** on the people in front of me. Later, he had a head-butting contest with his equally drunk dad. I didn't see him after that.:)

Rise Against
OW! It hurt a lot, but I love their music so much. At one point, there was a circle pit around the main pillar. There was also some 6'4 ginger guy doing karate in the pits.

Manson, Goldie Lookin' Chain and The Pixies also deserve a special mention.:)

About the age limits on gigs. I don't think they care at all. I've never been ID'd at a gig, even when obviously underage. I don't think the organisers really care: you knew you were underage, so it's your fault if you get hurt. Serving alcohol to make profit doesn't matter either, as they'll serve you regardless of age.:p At a gig, I've never been asked for ID for alcohol. Not when I was 15, nor, now, when I'm 16. Apparently this is different down below though.

-Wez

Johnny Bravo
02-09-2005, 19:53
Saw Garbage perform at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan a couple years back. Shirley Manson is incredible and may do whatever she wishes with or to me.

Crube
02-09-2005, 21:58
I've been to so many metal gigs, but Bruce Dickinson, just after he left Maiden was my all time Fave

Just after the Skunkworks album was released. i was going to Rock City on a Friday, mate rang to say he couldnt make it, so i thought I'd go in early, seing as the doors were open.

"1 please?"

"to the club, or to see Bruce Dickinson?

"erm Bruce please"

"3 please"

Got in, no more than 60-70 people in the entire room. Bruce was on form and ended up doing 3 encores, and was on stage for over 2.5 hours....

BorisGT
02-09-2005, 22:07
The first time I saw As I Lay Dying perform live I was 100% blown away. The pits were intense. I try to avoid going in when I'm at metal shows (but get me to a ska show and it's dancing time!) but I was on the edge for most of their set. Between each song they had the crazy feedback going through the speakers that sounded something like a mix of Hell, infants screaming, car tires coming to a halt too quickly, and annoying cellphone ring tones. My goodness, it was awesome.

I had a chance to see them again recently at Ozzfest and they weren't as good because it was an outdoor venue (compared to the indoor venue called The Electric Factory in Philadelphia where I saw them initially). I still enjoyed myself but they blew me away from a metal stand point.

redemptionist15
02-09-2005, 23:36
The Haunted: I saw them at Birmingham Academy 2, a tiny box of a room, small capacity, small room (the ceiling is so very low). Totally awesome gig, the support acts were great but The Haunted, **** me with a broomstick were they good, so tight live and they can pull it all off, the energy they put into their show was astounding. The pits were crazy, i was on my **** within 5 minutes with a massive tear in my jeans and im not a small guy at all. Probably the best small-ish band i have ever seen.

System of a Down: I saw them at Leeds 2003 and they were awesome, Malakian the guitarist was sporting a sweet Serpico stylee beard and glass's combo and the whole band were there to have fun, it was their UK show that year (except for reading) and they were amazing, the crowd went so crazy they broke down the barriers. Such an awesome show which totally blew Metallica off the stage (who followed them).

Kohhna
03-09-2005, 00:05
Dizzee Rascal, Mandela hall, QUB last year. Probably not most people here's cup of tea, but the guy is amazingly talented.

LAHNDAHN ! LAHNDAHN !

And the Nine Inch Nails in Brixton Academy. That was a good gig.

redemptionist15
03-09-2005, 00:31
Dizzee Rascal, Mandela hall, QUB last year. Probably not most people here's cup of tea, but the guy is amazingly talented. Boy in da corner is an awesome album :D It contains one of my favourite rap lines ever, "im sweet like tropicana" Genius!

New Cult King
03-09-2005, 01:27
Tool, Lateralus tour. I missed out on tickets to their Aenema tour.

A Perfect Circle, Mer De Noms tour.

The Tea Party, both times I've seen them. Phenomenal.

Fear Factory, Obsolete tour.

devolutionary
03-09-2005, 02:34
The Lateratus tour was awesome, they even stopped in NZ twice, so I saw them at both. Most excellent shows. Win's the award for the Best Mindf**k.

Rammstein have Pyro! Rammstein have Noice! Rammstein have strange little Germans in inflatable boats! Best Performance, by far.

Mudvayne's recent tour is kick ass. Not big on stage effects, but the crowd went completely ape. Take's the Best Atmosphere award.

Slipknot, when they were doing the Big Day Out this year, were absolutely brilliant. Automatically wins the Most Painful Yet Enjoyable award.

Mix those three up, you have a happy me!

He Who Laughs
03-09-2005, 03:58
Tool, Lateralus tour. I missed out on tickets to their Aenema tour.

Since I originally hailed from a small country town full of retirement homes, Port Macquarie, on the NSW Mid North Coast - my first real live gig was this tour - Tool playing at WIN Stadium in the 'gong. I didn't know that stage amps could get that loud - and was initially a bit concerned that the bass kick drum was going to do funny things to my heart (naive huh?). But my God - that show blew me away, I even found myself holding my jatz-crackers at one point, I was that engrossed and utterly consumed by the sheer, dark, emotional power that is Tool. Maynards first words to the crowd - about two songs in - were:
"For those of you that may have gotten lost upon the way, this is not a Britney Spears concert" - needless to say, the crowd went psycho at that point.

And those freaky contortionist dancers - Osseus Labyrinth (who make a cameo appearance in MIB 2 is you look hard enough!) - holy crap! Theres just something amazing - and slightly disturbing about watching two naked people strung up by the ankles, 5 metres above the stage - slowly twisting and turning in time with the build-up to Reflection/Triad. Gobsmacked.

Kaoslady
03-09-2005, 04:49
Well over the years I have missed out on more gigs than I've actually been to, which stinks, but I have stull been to some great ones!

The first concert i ever went to in my life is too embarrasing to mention, but I will give you a hint- Mysterious Girl. :cheese:

Second concert I ever went to in my life was The Fugees, I was mesmerized. God, Lauren Hill has a voice on her, wish she was around more these days.

Naughty By Nature a couple years back (they loved NZ so much they came back later the same year) Went off! :D They clearly enjoyed the gig as much as we did.

Went to the Big day out in ummm 2000 I think, anyway it was the year the Chilli Peppers were the headline act on the main stage, and the Chemical Bros were headlinin the Boiler Room. Was by myself the whole day as I never found the mate I was supposed to meet there. Despite that, or perhaps because of it, I had an insanely good time!!!

Snoop Dogg- Mad hot, sweaty and stinky in the Supertop (it's a damn big tent with a dirt floor, aka the Boiler Room during the BDO) at Erickson Stadium, but oh so soo good.

Most recently (last weekend in fact) my first live gig in too damn long, Tadpole, who are a terrific NZ rock band with a female lead singer.
Opening band Brutally Frank were Mad good and highly reccomended, with a frontman who looked and showed off like Robbie Williams but sounded a lil like the Gorrillaz. Got us in the perfect mood for the show! Then The Stoods, rather drunk on the free booze in the VIP area but still good. Autozam next who did a real tight set.
Then TADPOLE!!! :D
Damn that girl can sing, rock, an put on a show! We were centre front up against the speakers an moshing hard out! I got booted in the head a couple times by the mad dreadlocked crowd surfer (he got dropped a couple times too, ow) and was inspired by the longhaired leatherjacketed dude moshing hard out in his wheelchair off to one side of me.
Was rather disturbed after the show when I pointed out to the sweaty, drunken, lost lookin dude in a singlet that he left his shirt by the speaker, and he thanked me by bawling "You're a LEGEND!" , grabbing my face in both hands and kissing me full on the lips. With his mouth open. My lips were clamped firmly together (You Shall Not Pass!!) and I'm sure I had a totally mortified look on my face that he was thankfully too wasted to pick up on. My mate shoulda got the kiss anyway, she found the damn shirt in the first place! Told my darling b/f about this later and he thought it was hillarious! :rolleyes:

warmasterbubba
03-09-2005, 06:30
2002 Music Midtown in Atlanta. Incubis, Bush, Stone Temple Pilots, Kid Rock, Bone, Bubba Sparks, Jim Crow, and too many others I don't remember. Most fun I ever had. 3 day concert where all of down town ATL became a mini woodstock. There were like 5+ stages, it was insane.

Gethalorre
03-09-2005, 08:10
Green Day milton keynes bowl, earlier this year. Man, was it superfantaexcellebrilliextragreat. However, in Taking Back Sunday's set I got pushed into the circle pit of 6' guys. And I'm 12.

Nid
03-09-2005, 08:18
Marylin Manson: Against All Gods ruled my world.

Then comes Slipknot/Lamb of God/Shadows Fall for their recent tour.

Then A Perfect Circle: Thirteenth Step tour.

All amazingly good.

The Dragon Reborn
03-09-2005, 08:41
jack johnson... wow lots of hippies

shadows fall

avenged sevenfold

bleeding through

dream theater(dvd not really live)

atryeu

In Flames

L6FR_BH_FKR
03-09-2005, 08:44
I've been to a few:

- Nuttea (French Reggae/Ragga/rap singer. Real nice show with a very authentic feel as in: i'm not here to make $$$ but to sing my music the way I feel it)

- NTM (another French Band, ghetto rap this time. This-PWNED-My-Whole-night. Great concert)

- Linkin Park, great as ever

- and a 'local' band concert. 10 Bands, 6 hour concert, lots of styles, best concert ever.

Lord Lucifer
03-09-2005, 10:16
The True Aussie and Kiwi Gods of Metal and Rock - Cog and Shihad.
...shihad...Shihad...Shihad!...SHIHAD!...SHIHAD!.. .SHIHAAAAAAAD!!!

Legends, the lot of 'em :D
Saw them at the Big Day Out a couple years ago. So bitterly gutted when they started playing 'Bitter' and nobody else was going nuts. BEST song, why did the philistines in their own damn country not know it? Arghhh!

Concerts/shows/live gigs that have blown me away?

TOOL The lateralus tour, both times. Simply the best show ever.
First time round I even got an autograph :D

The lighting was awesome, the bland played to perfection, Maynard worked the crowd, the visuals were stunning, the contortionists were fantastic, and it was quite simply the two greatest nights of my life.
Track down some bootlegged footage from the shows, and then realise it's not even a patch on the live experience.

Just mindblowing, the whole experience.

A Perfect Circle's 13th Step tour was pretty wicked. Not quite as awesome as TOOL though.

Ramms+ein at, I believe the 2001 Big Day Out was awesome too.
The fire, the pyrotechnic bow, the dildo, the guitarist jumping on an inflatable dingy and 'rowing' out into the audience, then frantically trying to row back when he realised the inflatable raft could tip quite easily...
It almost made up for having to listen to Limp Bizkit

Then 2002 I think had SOAD. AWESOME.
They had to stop the show halfway through because the barricades were knocked down a bit, and we had to listen to the craptacular Silverchair, who are unquestionably the WORST live act I've EVER seen.

The Foo Fighters was also really awesome, Dave's an excellent showman

Wiseman
03-09-2005, 14:57
That sucks diddimz, so many great bands - so few under 18 gigs. Being a Brisbane man, would you have had the chance to see Butterfly Effect play? They are on par with Cog, and I've seen them a couple of times - fortunate enoughto stand right next to (literally, it was a low step stage) them whilst the rocked out at the Oxford here in the Gong. If you can go see them play - I highly recommend it.

Im not a brisbane man, though i live close enough to there, hell i play my soccer there. I didnt get to see the butterfly effect though, cant say ive heard much by them though. Ill remember to go see Cog if i get the chance though.

CELS
03-09-2005, 15:26
Machine Head, Oslo, 2001. I think this was when they were promoting Supercharger. They're not my favourite band, but it was a kind of small concert with only hardcore fans, so the atmosphere was incredible. When I got home, I had to explain to my girlfriend (at the time) why I had bloody bitemarks behind my right shoulder. It was just that insane :D

Also, you know you're a drunk teenager when a rockstar spits whisky in your eye and you go "Wooo, alright! Best concert ever!"

Thud
03-09-2005, 16:38
Dead Kennedys (in '03 IIRC)

I was underage, so I snuck in. I got all the way to the front, and a few songs in their singer shoved the mic into my face right before the chorus in "Nazi Punks **** Off!" so I did what I was supposed to do and shouted my skull away.

After the show was done the band came out from the backstage area and started talking to the fans and I ended up talking to Klaus Flouride and their manager for about an hour. :cool:

It was awesome.

Inflammable
03-09-2005, 22:26
Flogging Molly.

Cade
03-09-2005, 23:43
Best gig so far has to be either Pulp or Biffy Clyro.

The Pulp gig was at the Corn Exchange, Edinburgh a few years back when they were at the very height of their powers. It was awesome.

The Biffy Clyro gig was back when they were a small band playing small venues such as the sadly departed (well, burnt down) Belle Angelle. They were the support act for a bigger band (who have since disappeared up their own arses) and completely stole the show.
Totally excellent.

Although I have to say that the upcoming Nightwish/Paradise Lost gig in London will top both of 'em.
Well.....it'd better!

He Who Laughs
04-09-2005, 07:52
...shihad...Shihad...Shihad!...SHIHAD!...SHIHAD!.. .SHIHAAAAAAAD!!!

Legends, the lot of 'em :D

Good to see the Kiwi's love their own bands as much as we love theirs :D

I must admit, on Friday night when I went to the gig - I was only going to see Cog, being the huge Cog fan I am. I'd seen Shihad play once during the time that they'd re-named themselves as "Pacifier"* - they were supported by Superheist, and I must admit that on the night Superheist were the better act - so I wasn't expecting much. Boy was I wrong. Rock on Shihad - as I said before, the True Gods of Kiwi Rock.

*The reason behind this (AFAIK) - the bands been around for years, and when they started up they thought "Jihad" sounded like a cool name for a band, but whoever wrote it down, misheard/mispelt it and wrote down as "Shihad". They toured America not long after the tragic disaster of September 11, 2001 - and were 'persuaded' to change their name - so they changed it to Pacifier - one of the songs from their first album - a bit tongue in cheek too. But, with a new hardccore sound in the new album, they've changed their name back to Shihad.

Lord Lucifer
04-09-2005, 10:42
*The reason behind this (AFAIK) - the bands been around for years, and when they started up they thought "Jihad" sounded like a cool name for a band, but whoever wrote it down, misheard/mispelt it and wrote down as "Shihad". They toured America not long after the tragic disaster of September 11, 2001 - and were 'persuaded' to change their name - so they changed it to Pacifier - one of the songs from their first album - a bit tongue in cheek too. But, with a new hardccore sound in the new album, they've changed their name back to Shihad.

Not quite, but pretty close.
They started up when they were in high school, won the NZ Battle of the Bands. Pretty much a Metallica cover band, but started branching out and writing their own material.
Took their name from the Dune novels, apparently.

They started recording an album in the states in 2001, but after the 9/11 events, their US label wouldn't release the album unless they changed their name, because 'Shihad' sounds too similar to Jihad.
They picked the name of a previous song, Pacifier, as their name. It blew and everyone knew it.
Someone from the company even wanted their album to be called 'suck on this' with a picture of a baby pacifier on the cover :rolleyes:

They realised that they weren't enjoying the US music industry, and decided to get back to being their own band, moved back to NZ, dropped the name 'Pacifier', and started to rock again.

Pacifier features on The General Electric, which is either their 4th or 5th album (I can think of Churn, Killjoy, and the self-titled Shihad that came out before The General Electric, and suspect there might've been one more before that too, but can't be certain).
The Pacifier album (not The General Electric, which is the album that the song 'Pacifier' is on, but rather the album titled 'Pacifier') blows unimaginable amounts of ****, but the rest of their work is great and recommended highly.
Awesome live act too.

He Who Laughs
04-09-2005, 10:51
Not quite, but pretty close.
Pacifier features on The General Electric, which is either their 4th or 5th album (I can think of Churn, Killjoy, and the self-titled Shihad that came out before The General Electric, and suspect there might've been one more before that too, but can't be certain).

I stand corrected then. I should my research first, rather than go off my (rather poor) memory. I'll keep a look out for the early albums - if they're worth they look, though? I know for most bands their early stuff is either their best stuff, or their worst stuff. Which is it for Shihad?

Lord Lucifer
04-09-2005, 11:19
Definately their best stuff is on earlier albums.
Killjoy - Deb's Night Out (if you want a 'beautiful' song by Shihad, this is it. Kind of a relaxed sadness to it), You Again (decent rock track), and Bitter (AWESOME song!) are the stand-out tracks.

Shihad - Home Again, La La Land, A Day Away, and Yr' Head Is A Rock being the top tracks there. Along with the General Electric this is their best work

The General Electric - My Mind's Sedate, The General Electric, Wait And See, Pacifier, Thin White Line, and Brightest Star are all found here, and definately their best album to date.

I'd skip Churn (earliest album), and Pacifier. Go straight for The General Electric and Shihad, then pick between Killjoy and Love is the new Hate

vypyr
04-09-2005, 21:13
see the kiwis take over this thread :)

i agree, shihad put on a very good live show. their show with grinspoon a couple of years back at the powerstation went off

i will also back up those that said rammstein at the big day out was awesome. that was the best major live show ive seen

orgy are a superb live band, as are tool. seeing a perfect circle at red rocks was surreal. the music go off live, and as i lay dying are a blast live too

but in the end my vote goes to 2 bands

1 is another local new zealand band called cold by winter. i guess they fall into the post hardcore genre. they played a small gig of about 100 people on the floor of a basement of a bar. it was packed. but as soon as the band started playing, the band and the crowd became one. the crowd moshed with the band for the entire set. i have never seen such energy and such a connection between band and crowd. it was insane

and the other is stabbing westward. any band that invites me up on stage infront of 1000's of people and plays a song around me kicks ass :P

Brother Frog
04-09-2005, 21:49
Too easy:

Ben Folds, July 2005 in Warwick.

One full hour of Eef Barzelay (from Clem Snide) performing solo, then two and a half hours of Ben (and at times, the support band) giving us all of the classics from his solo catalogue as well as the best of the Ben Folds Five stuff too.

The whole audience sang along when he told us too (including three part harmony - I kid you not!) and even did a great cover of a Dr Dre song!

I can't wait for the December concert.

vilden
04-09-2005, 22:08
One remarkable one was Iron Maiden in Stockholm 2003, well nothing more to say. It was Maiden how can it not rock?

My favourite gig ever was probably Doom Over Sweden though. Small gig with only 50 or so people in the audiance. The bands that played where awsome though. The Gates of Slumber (probably the worst band of the evening but still good), Isole (totally pwned), Thee Plague of Gentlemen (how can anybody not like these guys live? You get crushed under their heaviness), and last the mighty Reverend Bizarre who are the best band in the world so yeah they well were just perfect.