PDA

View Full Version : GW's worldwide campains

flare8521
01-10-2007, 03:05
hey guys
While working on my new Emperor's Children lists today I remembered the time of the Eye of Terror campain but couldn't bring myself to remember what year it was. Now that's probably easy to find on the net, but since then and until this last summer, i've pretty much been out of gaming so I was also wondering wha other hug campain took place?
I've read stuff against the Taros campain but I'm not so informed. Could anyone give me the list of the last worldwide campains? When's the next 40k one??
thanks

He who is doom
01-10-2007, 03:39
it will be this upcoming summer.
the last worldwide campaign was fantasy so the next will be 40k.
summer of 2008

Grimbad
01-10-2007, 03:44
Medusa V came after Eye of Terror. Taros Campaign is a forgeworld book.
So, for 40k
Armageddon
Eye of terror
Medusa
???

carlisimo
01-10-2007, 06:49
Sadly it probably won't be anything epic, that writes new fluff. Apparently Andy Chambers and others wanted the Eye of Terror to have a permanent effect on the storyline, but he was overridden.

That killed the rumors of a "Void Dragon awakens on Mars" campaign too.

Terrordar
01-10-2007, 07:16
They really should do something that has a real impact on the fluff, but we know that they won't, sadly.

Darnok
01-10-2007, 07:29
With Apoc coming out this month and being established by next summer, one can expect something biger than Medusa V though. A summer campaign for 40K would be the chance to bring out new big kits and bundle boxes, together with a bunch of data sheets, so the whole thing has to be a bit more epic...

BrainFireBob
01-10-2007, 08:25
*cough*

Ichar IV
Armageddon
Eye of Terror (2004?)
Medusa V

The first was the letter-writing campaign JJ ran, with Hive Fleet Leviathan (as I recall) attacking Ichar IV.

Armageddon was the first serious "worldwide" campaign. Eye of Terror was awesome, perhaps the high-water mark for 40K in terms of popularity and involvement- and a huge mistake, as anything else feels like a letdown.

Then Medusa V, which saw some nice models released, and a new guard line- fairly popular, and a definite return to "gothic" 40K.

aenarion67
01-10-2007, 08:29
i got a great campaign idea!
how about theres a new world discovered and theres a new spacemarine chapter. however its on a necron world! all the races could be involved in the campaign! and it wouldn't be fixed!

Terrordar
01-10-2007, 08:33
The best Campaign in my opinion would be after the Ork codex comes out, and basically be a post-Orkish victory against the Tyranids. The Campaign would center around the Orks spreading out like wild fire and conflict errupting on all sides.

The Eldar arrive to save Exodite worlds threatened by the Orks. The Orks fight the Orks, cuz dose otta boyz iz weak! Tyranids strive forward again, to regain the lost biomass and of course, devour all before them. Space Marines and Imperial Guard arrive for different reasons, Guard to hold ground, Marines to wipe out the Orks and Tyranids. And Chaos is there because of opporunity to spread taint. Finally, Necrons have an excuse, because of all those damn life forms running around :P

BrainFireBob
01-10-2007, 08:39
And the Tau and Dark Eldar want . .what?

More slaves/planets?

Problem is, since Eye of Terror's done, they can't do a game that really draws player interest.

No, a good idea would be a Warhammer 30K-style supplement- fight battles of the Heresy (and disallow Terra, Istvaan, Prospero- the "key worlds")- except both Tau and Necrons aren't part of it.

Now, the Void Dragon or the Outsider stirring- that could work, except that that'd definitely alter fluff unacceptably.

Armageddon worked because a) It was the first, and b) It drew on old 40K board games- so it was internally referential.

Terrordar
01-10-2007, 09:58
Tau are in the region of what I propose, so Orks and Nids being repelled would be on their agenda, and competing with the Imperium.

Dark Eldar, slaves, and perhaps to assist some of their Craftworld Counterparts, as that has been known to happen once in a while.

Kasonic
01-10-2007, 10:23
Whatever the next campaign is, I'd like to see them pull a "Meanwhile..." and have the Tau suffer a massive assault from Hive Fleet Kraken and local Waaaaagh!'s, forcing them to lose ground and possibly a Sept World.

(And I'm a Tau player! It builds character!)

Lord_Magellan
01-10-2007, 19:02
and it wouldn't be fixed!

None of them were fixed.

I've explained this before but once more, with feeling:

WW campaigns aren't fixed. If GW fixed games toward one faction, it would slit their commercial throats. They didn't come to be a 20+ year old company by making the worst fiscal decisions possible.

Check out Medusa V. Space Marines did great, because the SM codex was freshly re-released, there were tons of Space Marine players as a result, and those guys fought their arses off. I watched the numbers roll in almost hourly at Medusa V and they stepped up to the plate in a big way. Bear in mind, though, that the scores were based on percentages. The number of players was relative; it was the percentages that resulted from their combined effort that were tallied. That's why the Dark Eldar, a very rare army these days to say the least, kicked the crap out of everything in their path.

GW knows that slanting towards one particular army would alienate all the other army players and drive people from the hobby. It's a fact. They're not going to fix anything based on that common sense alone. If you play Tyranids, Necrons, whatever, you'd never do a world wide campaign even if you thought the game was fixed away from your army. Alienating that demographic would cost sales and what they wanted to do was set up honest competition. That was the spirit of it. Those who succeeded legitmately earned it; those that didn't... well, follow through the thought there.

Medusa V in particular gave us goals for our races. These goals had nothing to do with destroying a specific faction in the campaign. You had a storyline threaded through the thing with its ending decided on your success/failure percentage. In a sense, who you fought didn't really matter at all; you could fight a different army every day all the way through and the only calculable fact was your own win or loss ratio. Consequently, each army had its own victory conditions that weren't really meshed to any other army's.

The only exception to this was that the space marines and chaos forces were directly opposed to each other. Many people perceived chaos as an impossible ("broken") codex and there was enough chatter at the same time about the new SM codex that it made sense to balance the scales against the middle. Still, every space marine victory took away from a chaos victory and vice versa. The space marine player could fight imperial guard all the way through and his victories were subtracted from the chaos total to find the final sum between the two. Clever thinking IMHO.

Finally, the most vital thing about these campaigns is NOT the ending. We proved that in Medusa V, a talented lot of us who spent day after day spinning our own epic stories on the official campaign forum. THAT was *******' epic. You had a gorgeous synergy of like minded players who were intent on telling the best story possible from their army's perspective, and the way all that came together to make one complex, giant war story (with heroes and villains enough for anyone) has been nothing short of inspiring. I wish that cooperation existed everywhere in the hobby. It was outrageously entertaining to log in hour by hour to see the latest events unfolding between the factions - THAT was the truest payoff for the game. Vets of Medusa V still talk highly about the game. True, you can't please *everyone*, but this campaign rocked the house from my seat in the theater, and I can't bloody wait until the next one. In a world wide campaign, WE become the storytellers, and that's the most important distinction of all.

Consequently, fixed doesn't happen. That's more cynical than practical. I suppose since Eldar are insanely popular and very difficult to fight against now, the next WW campaign will be obviously slanted for the eldar? I don't buy it. And either way, I'm going to put on the best floor show I can.

Killgore
01-10-2007, 19:10
The best Campaign in my opinion would be after the Ork codex comes out, and basically be a post-Orkish victory against the Tyranids. The Campaign would center around the Orks spreading out like wild fire and conflict errupting on all sides.

The Eldar arrive to save Exodite worlds threatened by the Orks. The Orks fight the Orks, cuz dose otta boyz iz weak! Tyranids strive forward again, to regain the lost biomass and of course, devour all before them. Space Marines and Imperial Guard arrive for different reasons, Guard to hold ground, Marines to wipe out the Orks and Tyranids. And Chaos is there because of opporunity to spread taint. Finally, Necrons have an excuse, because of all those damn life forms running around :P

add in a ancient Eldar super weapon or a working piece of Dark Age technology and you'd have a cracking campaign

redbaron998
01-10-2007, 19:10
I dont think the campigns are slanted anymore than how SM are the most popular line and thus played the most, whitch is due to the popularity of SM, not of GW fixing it.

I do think that the spotlight chages from races depending on whats out. For instance Medusa 5 saw Vostyrans (thus IG) and Tau in the spotlight. The next one will probably have Chaos and Orks in the spotlight (so expect a evil campaign (he he)

only joking...
01-10-2007, 19:11
The EoT campaign was in 2003.

Lord_Magellan
01-10-2007, 19:18
Sadly, there were no Vostroyans were I threw down. More's the pity. I'd have liked purging them. :chrome:

Lord Damocles
01-10-2007, 20:12
Lord_Magellan,

While I agree with your post above about the players making in Medusa V making the campagin what it was (damned good:)), It should be noted that the conclusions of the campaign for each race did seem to have been fixed by GW long before the end of the campaign.

Orks - Nazdreg escaped even though the Orks got their behinds handed to them. GW wouldn't want to kill off a special character now would they.

Eldar - Craftworld Aliatoc survived. GW blatantly were not going to destroy a craftworld.

Tyranids - The Death Leaper escaped. GW had made a model for it, so the chances of them wiping out the species was next to none.

Dark Eldar - No'Aikai (or whoever she was:confused:)_ failed to overthrough Vect. Again, wouldn't want to get rid of a character would we.

Tau - They didn't get warp travel. No need for GW to radicly alter the fluff for the race then.

Marines, Guard, Chaos, and Necrons probobly could have gone either way I'll admit.

Lord_Magellan
02-10-2007, 16:42
I'm sure they had a series of cut-in-stone endings for each side based on how well it did. Check out the poor storm lord. The Necrons lost and I'm pretty sure he won't be around next campaign. ;P

In the Tau's sense, I'm not surprised that they didnt' gain warp tech. I figured they weren't going to get it anyway just because their race doesn't seem to have the understanding of the warp or warp threats the rest of creation does. (They're better off without it). In that case, the Tau players collected what research they could. Alternately, it might have been possible that they *could* have altered that, if their battle reports mentioning any particular research being achieved by theri actions. As it was, crashing an asteroid into a planet was not a small accomplishment - though it might have mussed their research a pinch. ;P

boogle
02-10-2007, 16:54
as only Joking said EOT was 2003, so in terms of massive campaigns we have had:

Ichar IV - 1994/5
Armageddon - 2000
EOT - 2003
Medusa V - 2006

The next one may be pencilled in for next year