PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse, Cake and Half-Price Models

Galaspar
01-10-2007, 11:30
Just thought you guys might want to hear about the event which happened at my local GW (Peterborough) on Saturday 29th. We had an Apocalypse preview day - nothing unusual there, no doubt plenty of other stores
had those. There was the massive game you'd probably expect, spread over three tables and with several of the more rabid regulars bringing their super-heavies, fliers and scratch-built Orkish monstrosities.

It was particularly special for us though, because the manager of many years was leaving for pastures new, and the staff had got a huge custom cake printed in his honour, showing him grinning and holding the store's first Baneblade. I'm sure any of you who know the Peterborough store will join me in wishing Alan the best of luck in his future endeavours.

To mark the day, and to prepare the way for the next manager, they had a huge clear out of the back room, selling it all off to anyone who made them an offer. We're talking out-of-production models, sprues with just a part or two missing, and complete sets with ripped-up packaging. The better stuff was collected up in freezer bags, and several lucky guys walked away with entire tanks, metal Wraithlords, old school Seer Councils and things like that for about 10 each. There was precious little Chaos stuff to be had, but Alan found me a bag with a Daemon Prince, whole except for one arm, the spare arms from the store's Terminator Sorcerer, and a few other metal oddments, which I paid 9 for.

As the day wore on, the staff brought out 3 huge cardboard boxes full of bitz, and the kids descended on them like vultures. Alan stood proudly in the middle with a little bag, collecting whatever small change people offered him. I turned up some fine things - Grey Knights and Terminator Chaplains which had fallen out of their blisters, and 3 pairs of lightning claws. 40 pence bought me a handfull of Nurgle icons from discarded vehicle sprues, which was all I was really after. I've never seen a sale like it, and I doubt I ever will again. Hell of a day.

Hulkster
01-10-2007, 11:37
its not fair :(

pookie
01-10-2007, 11:40
sounds like a great day!

my first ever experiance at a GW store had a sale on just like that, loads of plastic buckets with bitz/sprues/damaged Blister packs in, and all we had to do was make a small 'offer' for what we wanted. (sadly that has bever happened again in 12 years + of visiting my GW store)

destroyerlord
01-10-2007, 12:23
Wow that sounds great :) Bargains for all then. I just wish we had a store at all down here is Tassie, let alone massive 'bitz' sales.
Good to hear about a fun time, that what the hobby is about, right?

Galaspar
01-10-2007, 12:42
Too right, Destroyerlord, it made a grizzled 20-something like myself feel like a kid in a candy store, and must have been even better for the actual kids.

I'd been thinking of getting a second daemon prince anyway, to go alongside my existing fat nurgle one - to get him half price was great. He's the regular undivided model, and I've pinned on some wings (possessed sprue - a little small but then a DP's wings are largely symbolic anyway), and replaced his missing arm with the big lobster claw from the spawn set. A little green stuff needed, but he's looking mean.

Razor Devil
01-10-2007, 13:27
You Big Bully! Why do you have to tell us this!? Now I feel like dying! :p

(Sounds like a fun day.)

alexh
01-10-2007, 14:16
GW Middlesbrough were selling 'magic grab bags' for 10. I got an old Empire Batallion and Gotrek and Felix second omnibus. I also walked away with 2 old Catachan Battleforces for free cos I bought Baneblades.

Razor Devil
04-10-2007, 06:29
I feel like dying now...

onnotangu
04-10-2007, 06:43
I want my dern GW fairlane back dang it. where else am I gonna go after work to buy and build stuff and ask advice and get painting tips. the closest store is 20 miles away!