PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Starting Lizards

==Me==
01-10-2007, 15:55
Howdy all, ==Me== here.

I've been playing Fantasy, Skaven particularly, for about a year now and I've decided to start working on another army. Lizardmen have always appealed to ==Me== so I went with them. Here goes:

Heroes
Saurus Scar-Veteran-great weapon, light armor, Blessed Spawning of Sotek, Jaguar Charm of Huanchi
Skink Priest-level 2, dispel scroll
Core
Saurus-19 (hw+s), full command
Saurus-20 (hw+s), full command
Skinks-10
Skinks-10
Rare
Salamander

Total-999 pts
Models-65

I tested it out against ==My== brother's Beasts today and it worked pretty well. The Scar-Vet, with the help of Amul's re-rolls managed to inflict 5 casualties on a beast herd and ran the unit down (including the General ^_^). The Priest sent down some lightning bolts to do some damage. Skinks annoyed the hell out of units and took some stuff down with poison. The Salamander killed a couple Ogres and did pretty well in HtH. Saurus didn't do much, so I'll have to work on them.

Any suggestions for the list/tactics?

sephiroth87
01-10-2007, 16:04
I would take one unit of 19 saurus warriors and exchange another for a unit of 4 kroxigors. I'd save the other unit of warriors for when you have 1500 or 2000 points. I don't run 2 until I get to 2000, anyway. I take more kroxigors at 1500 points.

If you're running champions in your units, I would drop them and use the points (maybe drop the sotek spawning from the scar vet if you need the points) and buy another salamander pack to get a total of 2. You usually want at least 2 of them to be effective, because of that misfire die. And in small point games, salamander are really effective, since people don't take as many super-tough monsters that the sallies can't wound.

gerrymander61
01-10-2007, 16:49
Sephiroth basically just said everything I was going to. Only 2.5 hours earlier. Although I have to say that in 1000 points, a unit of 4 Kroxigor sounds a bit overkill to me. Keep it at 3. If you do, then you don't need to shave off any points at all to get that other salamander in, which is a must, and you have 33 points left over. Hell, with those points, you could give your entire Saurus unit a blessing. My personal favourite is Huanchi. Or, you could cut down that unit's size, drop the champion, and buy yourself another unit of 10 skinks. Or you could cut the Sotek blessing from the scar vet, tweek that unit of saurus a bit, and buy yourself a THIRD salamander. Fun time.

==Me==
01-10-2007, 20:06
Ok, so is 1 block of Saurus good for a small point game?

What about Saurus Cav, too expensive?

Thanks for the replies so far :)

sephiroth87
01-10-2007, 21:22
I only take 1 block in smaller games. However, I regularly play against a guy who wins pretty often and takes 2 smaller units of 15 guys per unit. Seems to work well, too.

As far as the cavalry goes, it's a good unit. You're not often missing stupid checks with 3 dice, but it will happen sometimes. For the points in smaller games, though, I'd rather have the kroxigors over the cavalry. If your saurus cav takes a wound, you lose 3 attacks. If you take a wound to your kroxes, you still get all your attacks.

However, the cavalry is wonderful versus light armored infantry, since they get a lot of solid strength 4 and 5 attacks with good weapon skill. The kroxes hit less often but hit a lot harder.

The big thing for me, though, is charging through skink screens with the kroxes, which is a godsend for a hammer unit. You can screen them with skirmish troops and they don't even have to move out of the way for you to charge.

==Me==
01-10-2007, 22:54
I will certainly consider Kroxies, I like the charge through skirmishers and multi-wounds. I just thought all that S7 would be overkill :P

Now this may seem utterly noobish, but how am I to use Saurus effectively? I'm used to having lots of blocks of expendable infantry, so only having 1 block of dead 'ard infantry is new to ==Me==.

==Me==
03-10-2007, 14:09
Ok, after some research I've come up with this.

Heroes
Saurus Scar-Veteran-Blessed Spawnings of Itzl, Sotek, Cold One, Light Armor, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Battle
1+ save, Fear, and 6 S5 attacks on the charge (+ the Cold One's)
Skink Priest-level 2, Dispel Scroll
Core
Saurus-20, full command
Skinks-10, javelins and shields, scouts
Skinks-10, javelins and shields
Special
Saurus Cavalry-5
Rare
Salamanders-2
Total-1000 points
Models-55

So I keep the big block of Saurus but add Saurus Cav for mobile hard-hitters and add another Sally. Keep in mind this is basically the Battalion+2 Sallies and a Skink priest so it keeps costs down.

sephiroth87
03-10-2007, 16:11
I think it looks a lot more solid than what you first had.

I'm assuming the scar vet is going in the cavalry squad, but you might consider putting him in the saurus infantry unit in some games if you're facing a lot of shooting. That way, if people unload on the cavalry, your general is still going to get there intact and get a lot of kills.

But I like the list. Does the batallion come with a scar vet on cold one, or are you just designating one of the models as the scar vet? Just curious about what actually comes in the box.

==Me==
03-10-2007, 18:31
The box has 24 Saurus, 24 Skinks and 8 Cold One Riders. So that leaves ==Me== some spare models and all I have to pick up is the Skink Priest (could convert that too though...) and the Sallies.

The Scar Vet will indeed hang with the Saurus Cav and I'll keep them out of sight as long as possible (terrain or skink screen). His generalship only really affects Skinks so he won't have to coddle the Saurus.