PDA

View Full Version : Starting Wood Elves and wondering what to buy

Angel of the Black Parade
01-10-2007, 19:48
I live in the UK, and this is my first fantasy army (picked a difficult one, yeah yeah) and I dunno what to buy. I have 30 to spend (I can stretch a wee bit more I suppose) and dunno what to buy. I'll need the army book, elf flesh paint (comin from T'au sept, so I will probably do Autumn scheme to save money) and then what models shall I buy?

Thanks for your help oh friendly people,

Angel (I think black parade sucks lol, just a phase)

Aflo
01-10-2007, 19:57
Welcome to Fantasy mate :)

My advice would be to get the army book first and mull it over for a few days, get a good knowledge of all the different minis and see which you like the look of best. That's always a good way to start an army you're going to be motivated to paint.

Another approach is to buy all the stuff you ned to start playing right away (A character and 2 core) and learn what works best that way, but imo, it is often the most expensive option of the two (speaking from past exerience here :p).

If all that's a bit vague for you, and I wouldn't blame you if it was, and you want to start modeling right away then I would tempt you to buy either a box of dryads or glade guard and save your next money packet for a character mini that takes your fancy.

Cheers
Aflo (Adam)

GreatRedGobbo
01-10-2007, 19:59
I am not sure how much the basic wood elf archers cost in pounds, but a good foundation could use 2 units of core archers. I played wood elves when I last played a few years ago. I modeled a werebear model as smokey the bear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Bear if you don't understand the reference). I gave him blue jeans and everything lol.

The dryads are definitely a good choice as well, a bargain at 12 points!

01-10-2007, 20:02
Think I'll get the army book and check it out in the shop :P, then decide what to get. The Noble is tempting but you dont know how crap I am at painting :D

sephiroth87
01-10-2007, 21:35
I would agree with above. Get the army book. I would proxy the list with friends using bases and other models. Most people buy a couple of archer units and a couple of dryad units to start out.

The Old Scholar
01-10-2007, 23:44
Absolutely, buy the army book.
If you're crap at painting and you're on good terms with one of the staff at the local GW, get basic paint lessons.
Be sure to have a good set of brushes--this helps tons!
Be patient with building your pallette. If you're just starting out, block colors placed carefully looks fine on the table top.
You get 16 archers in the Glade Guard regiment set--get this.
Build 10 Glade Guard and 6 Glade Guard scouts. Now you have two core.
I'm a fan of the Dryads and the Glade Riders, but both will set you back another 18 pounds each.
The Highborn models are great but in limited supply--at least in the U.S.
Get those that you can like the Lord with Great Weapon and Noble with bow.
Then you'll be set for at least playing Warbands.
Have fun.

Mabbz101
02-10-2007, 00:13
when i started Wood elves i basically baught the army book about 2 weeks before christmas then took a week to decide whcih units to get and then asked for em for christmas. the only think i actually baught was the noble with Gweapon. I recomend for a start a noble with great weapon a unit of dryads a unit of glade guard with scouts a unit of wardancers and a unit of way watchers

deathdealer
02-10-2007, 01:31
My advice is to a) do as everyone else said and buy the book to see if you like the rules (still needs an errata file tho), next 30 quid will get you nothing, so i sugest saving till you can afford the batallion box set, from which you could have 11 dryads, then stick some extra arms and bits on the last one to make a branchwraith, 23 archers, plus again sticking the sword arms from the archer and glade rider sprues to have a noble with extra hand weapon and of course 8 glade riders for your cavalry. Voila! Instant Wood Elf army, (you can even have the wizard in a Branchwraith).

My only other advice is just to stick it out as WE are by far the most difficult of armies to learn to use and will probably take a good smattering from armies like dwarfs and empire till you learn how to get around the enemy, and discover the joy of treemen.

Best of luck with the army.

Putty
02-10-2007, 02:07
1) get the army book 1st

2) buy the battalion box set later

3) after familiarising yourself with the army, sell and buy units you need.

Voodoo Boyz
02-10-2007, 03:02
Dryads. You want Dryads.

After that, Wild Riders.

People can tell you archers or glade guard, or whatever. But when you buy Dryads or Wild Riders, you really won't regret that purchase, even later on down the line.

After that, well, it's up to you.

Neodysseus
02-10-2007, 04:54
Thank you for starting this post Angel, and to all the posters thus far. I say this because I'm in a very similar situation but I've gotten some more and varied perspective from others before posting here. Bearing that in mind...

Is there so little hope for an elf heavy "WOOD ELF" army? Treemen, Treekin and Dryads are fiiine, fine, yes I'll have some. But where the hell are the elves and what can THEY do? After all, they (the elves) are whats attracting me to this army and 2 units of Glade Guard trying to find the "sweet spot" and back peddle the rest of the game won't do it for me. What about itemization? Can I field less dryads and use them as screens and have wardancers do the job everyone and their brother assigns to dryads? Why am I told that upgrading Glade Guard to Scouts is so useless and where's the love for Waywatchers?

/rant

Of course this was based on opinions, but I'm fishing for at least a few positive opinions and options before I blow a few hundred bucks, brush up my painting skills (pun intended) and field a great looking army that I'm in love with personally, yet that loses perpetually.

The SkaerKrow
02-10-2007, 04:57
Army Book first, obviously. The Woodies actually have a pretty decent Batt. Box, depending on your take on Glade Riders. If you decide that you'll be running Glade Riders, you can't go wrong by picking the Batt. Box up (Dryads and Glade Guard are both excellent units, regardless of your particular list build).

Edit: You can field All-Elf armies without too much trouble. They're just a little less forgiving, and play a bit differently since you no longer have access to Dryads or the Treeman. Might be worth taking a long look at Eternal Guard in that case, to see if you want to try running a Wood Elf build that actually includes block infantry.

deathdealer
02-10-2007, 13:39
Some other advice i could give about the battallion box is that you could possibly use some of the leftover dryad and archer bits, like spites and stuff to convert the glade riders into wild riders, they wont look as good but they are a cheap alternative, also, don't underestimate the worth of warhawk riders, they are the only wood elf unit that charge with 360 degree LoS and take away rank bonus for charging the flanks, also brilliant for taking down war machine crews. As for all elf armies, they're workable, especially if you put a Battle Standard in a unit of Eternal Guard but honestly I believe all elf armies are what HE and DE are for.

Putty
02-10-2007, 15:07
Thank you for starting this post Angel, and to all the posters thus far. I say this because I'm in a very similar situation but I've gotten some more and varied perspective from others before posting here. Bearing that in mind...

Is there so little hope for an elf heavy "WOOD ELF" army? Treemen, Treekin and Dryads are fiiine, fine, yes I'll have some. But where the hell are the elves and what can THEY do? After all, they (the elves) are whats attracting me to this army and 2 units of Glade Guard trying to find the "sweet spot" and back peddle the rest of the game won't do it for me. What about itemization? Can I field less dryads and use them as screens and have wardancers do the job everyone and their brother assigns to dryads? Why am I told that upgrading Glade Guard to Scouts is so useless and where's the love for Waywatchers?

/rant

Of course this was based on opinions, but I'm fishing for at least a few positive opinions and options before I blow a few hundred bucks, brush up my painting skills (pun intended) and field a great looking army that I'm in love with personally, yet that loses perpetually.

Well, Dryads (or basically woodkin) are T4 - T6 meaning they are tough and resilent to shooting and are able to march into battle. Unless elves with their T3. Hence, tougher troops, more popular. Also, the elves are S3 compared to woodkin's S4 - S6.

Its only natural players use more woodkin, they are tougher!

The elves may have good BS to hit, but the weapons are S3 (or S4 for GG at close range) however, it is still relatively weak, against armored opposition (which is many) bow shooting ain't gonna do alot. And unarmored opposition units are screeners anyway right?

Most players use at least two units of Glade Guards and a unit of Wardancers, I think that is fairly reasonable.

Waywatchers are simply overpriced scouts. As a rare choice (which you can take another treeman OR a great eagle) they are so restrictive in that aspect. So what if they have lethal shot? To me, you'll be lucky if you can get 1 LS off in a game.

If WWs are special choices in the WE army, they would be alot more popular. IMHO, if given the choice of

1) Treeman
2) Great Eagle
3) Waywatcher

as the 2nd rare choice, I'd definately go for the Treeman or the Great Eagle. For 24 points a pop (need @ least 5 meaning at least 120 points) you would expect the waywatcher to have at least shoot at S4 (short range like GG) also. But nope, they are just like scouts, but with LS and an extra point of BS, which is uh not quite worth the extra 7 points.

Nevermind them having 2 attacks during melee... they are S3 elves, they will be lucky to kill even one model before they get wiped out.

Waywatchers... too expensive and in the wrong choice section. Scouts are way better, because they can do the same job, which is to distract the opponent's troops or tie down warmachines and are so much cheaper.

02-10-2007, 17:00
Well, Dryads (or basically woodkin) are T4 - T6 meaning they are tough and resilent to shooting and are able to march into battle. Unless elves with their T3. Hence, tougher troops, more popular. Also, the elves are S3 compared to woodkin's S4 - S6.

Its only natural players use more woodkin, they are tougher!

The elves may have good BS to hit, but the weapons are S3 (or S4 for GG at close range) however, it is still relatively weak, against armored opposition (which is many) bow shooting ain't gonna do alot. And unarmored opposition units are screeners anyway right?

Most players use at least two units of Glade Guards and a unit of Wardancers, I think that is fairly reasonable.

Waywatchers are simply overpriced scouts. As a rare choice (which you can take another treeman OR a great eagle) they are so restrictive in that aspect. So what if they have lethal shot? To me, you'll be lucky if you can get 1 LS off in a game.

If WWs are special choices in the WE army, they would be alot more popular. IMHO, if given the choice of

1) Treeman
2) Great Eagle
3) Waywatcher

as the 2nd rare choice, I'd definately go for the Treeman or the Great Eagle. For 24 points a pop (need @ least 5 meaning at least 120 points) you would expect the waywatcher to have at least shoot at S4 (short range like GG) also. But nope, they are just like scouts, but with LS and an extra point of BS, which is uh not quite worth the extra 7 points.

Nevermind them having 2 attacks during melee... they are S3 elves, they will be lucky to kill even one model before they get wiped out.

Waywatchers... too expensive and in the wrong choice section. Scouts are way better, because they can do the same job, which is to distract the opponent's troops or tie down warmachines and are so much cheaper.

Lol im guessing you dont like Waywatchers, huh? But having said that they are good reasons. Keep the advice coming, its really great and helpful. What about Wardancers? They seem cool, and I like the models.

Neodysseus
03-10-2007, 05:02
Mkay, this is making a little more sense when things are explained more fully. Poor, poor Waywatchers, so nice looking and yet...:eyebrows:
Anything to be said for jacked up Eternal Guard w/ imbedded characters in place of Forest Spirit infantry?

Putty
03-10-2007, 05:37
Lol im guessing you dont like Waywatchers, huh? But having said that they are good reasons. Keep the advice coming, its really great and helpful. What about Wardancers? They seem cool, and I like the models.

I love Waywatcher... models! LoL. Actually when i first encountered them (in the armybook) I thought they were pretty nifty. It was until I tried making a list with them and using them in various battles that I realised what their shortcomings are. Worst still, I realised that there is another (much) cheaper unit (scouts and they are core!) in the army selection.

Wardancers are really good skirmishing hammer units. The wardances and bonuses because of wardancers weapons pushes them to S4 melee units (but only on the charge pfftt....) But because they are T3, you need to babysit them behind Dryads or other screeners. They are devasting on the charge. A frontage 5 gives 10 attacks basic (or 15 if you choose one of the nifty dances). They got a killing blow dance too.

Most players would take a Noble and that would (frontage 5) give about 17 attacks total (depends what kind of bling you give him/her/it.) Most players give the reroll to wound item for the Noble.

However, they must never be allowed to do/take a frontal charge. Because they are very fragile. IMHO, they are alot more scary than Dryads and seasoned opponents will find a way to distract/kill them first. On average, two units of 6 - 7 are recommended in any armylist.

Mkay, this is making a little more sense when things are explained more fully. Poor, poor Waywatchers, so nice looking and yet...:eyebrows:
Anything to be said for jacked up Eternal Guard w/ imbedded characters in place of Forest Spirit infantry?

EG with characters are not bad. However, to really exploit this, you would need a big (or a few big) blocks of them. There is this player (King Leonidas) who was very successful with his 2k+ point EG list.

I think in that list, he fielded 70 - 80 EGs with one main big block (I think 50 EGs) with a character that causes Terror (evil evil man lol). That list wins games simply by winning CR before even combat starts.

He tweaked his list with a few fast units like Glade Riders in an event he needed to capture map objectives.

EGs are very expensive to buy. You should really consider if you are going that direction. Small blocks of EG are rather useless because they aren't tough (T3, 5+ AS). IMHO, King Leonidas made a rather bad unit type good by exploiting its strengths.

LoL, retrospectively, I wonder if I can pull off a "King Leonidas" with a Chaos Warrior army xD

03-10-2007, 18:49
The army of just EG doesnt appeal to me, simply because it is against the fluff, and I think WE strength is shooting phase (and movement).
Thinkin to buy
Army book, Noble, Glade Guard.

Neodysseus
04-10-2007, 04:23
Go for it Angel and good luck. I bought the book and then an Ogre model and some painting supplies to "brush" up a bit (pun intended).;)

I figure it will be easier to knock the dust off my painting skill (or lack thereof) starting with a little larger model, THEN on to the Woodies.

04-10-2007, 13:35
woodies ftw! lol

keep the advice coming. this isnt a bump of course....

TimGauthier
06-10-2007, 17:07
I personally just ordered the box set based on the article for "Getting started in fantasy" and what it said about a list for the Woodies on tourny. I also bought a Hero. My box set is in a group order So i am waiting. I also bought the book so I am sitting around at home painting my chaos Bretonians thinking about themes and colour schemes to use on my Elves once I get them, they are going to be very awesome because for once I will have preplanned my army instead of painting a single unit 30 times to get a theme. I am am going for a heavy elf list, I have the dryads unit, 2 units of glade warriors, and a unit of the riders. Then my Hero, I think this is a good start, I can table this right away (and plan too).

deathdealer
06-10-2007, 20:27
Another bit of advice i would offer is to not bother with standards, unless for an EG or Wild Riders unit, while that extra point of CR could be vital, losing one of those fragile units of archers or glade riders in combat yields an extra 100vp, which can prove very costly, especially in lower points games. Musicians i always find are a must, i hate drawing a combat with my dryads then losing by one cos they can't have one. Can't wait till i get paid though, gonna put the final touches to my 2k Drycha's forest spirit army, i'll let you know how it does. Good luck with the woodies, unfortunately you'll need it that bit more than with other armies.

Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
06-10-2007, 20:58
I'm also considering a WE army. Are the special characters- Orion, Drycha Branchwraith, Sisters of Twilight- any good?

They just look so darned pretty x.x

CountZero
07-10-2007, 20:43
Wood Elves offer a lot of tactical possibilities and quite a few ways to play them. The Army box is a great way to start i think. Other then that reading the armybook a few times and then deciding what you want to do is your best bet. Dont get too happy with special character models, because these dont really make the army and they can be difficult to play, as they consume a lot of points (thus crippling the rest of your army). My advice would be to buy the army box and then go for some solid regiments and add the special models in the end.

Have fun,