PDA

View Full Version : Uriel (New Novel discussion) (SPOILERS) (Talk about other UM Novels)

Arkley
01-10-2007, 19:53
Ok let me start by saying I am a die hard Ultramarines fanboi....

My question/discussion is more to do with the ending of DSDB as some of you have no doubt read this book Uriel and Pansaius (sp) completed their mission (oh and it was over the top etc)

As it was a death oath...

Is there a way back for him to the Ultramarines?
Does he want to go back?
If he does return to his chapter would he be Captain again?

Part of me wants him back but I am not sure.... What do my other Ultramarine fans think?

Obermotz
01-10-2007, 20:12
I dont think that they can return to their chapter. What is the point in a death oath when you donīt fullfill it?

I suppose that it will be another infight between Honsou and UV. Someone has to kill the UV clone..

Arkley
01-10-2007, 20:12
He did complete the Death Oath IIRC.

Obermotz
01-10-2007, 20:39
There were two different tasks: First, die on a emperor forsaken piece of junk thats called a demonworld.

Second, destroy the IW maternity room.

They only completed the second task(which was given to them by Tigurius ) which was not part of their death oath iirc.

Arkley
01-10-2007, 20:40
I will admit it has been a while since I read them.

Obermotz
01-10-2007, 20:47
no problem, but it just doesnt feel right that these Codex junkies will ever accept uriel and pasanius again. They are just so tainted by individualism(and a little bit of chaos of course..).

Captain_Ardias
01-10-2007, 21:44
I believe the death part of the oath was implied. Essentially, I assumed it was something like this:

"You two have sorely destroyed the honor of our chapter. To repent, the two of you need to infiltrate into the eye of terror where a massive portion of the Iron Warriors are fighting over geenseed. The two of you, alone, need to attack this host of chaos forces, kill them and destroy the pure geneseed as well as their way of reproducing. If, somehow you are possibly able to complete this, then you are welcome back."

ctsteel
01-10-2007, 22:06
and after clone-UV finishes wreaking havoc on the sector (at honsou's command) I don't imagine the UMs pausing for long enough to find out that their "ex-captain gone rogue", is in fact their ex-captains evil clone doing the dirty to his reputation. They'll likely open fire first.

so until that "classic" (ie always overdone in movies) moment when they are both in the same room, in front of chaplain cassius, pointing at each other and saying "he's the clone! kill him!" the UMs won't know anything.

I can imagine an ending where this sort of thing happens, Tigurius perhaps, or Pasanius manages to decide who the bad guy is and kill him, and then Calgar says something like "who'da thunk it wasn't you gutting all those children? all is forgiven you can come back to the chapter as a member of your old squad (no captaincy)"

At which point Uriel will consider, realise that he's changed too much and would sully the chapter's traditions with his different ideas, and decide to leave. He will tell Pasanius to stay, but at the end they'll wander off together.

As a final twist in the tale, they are preparing to leave for parts unknown to do the emperor's bidding when a Deathwatch captain approaches them (at Calgar's request) and offers them permanent secondment to the Deathwatch, where being able to think on your feet is a desired ability.

End.

Obermotz
01-10-2007, 23:46
and after clone-UV finishes wreaking havoc on the sector (at honsou's command) I don't imagine the UMs pausing for long enough to find out that their "ex-captain gone rogue", is in fact their ex-captains evil clone doing the dirty to his reputation. They'll likely open fire first.

so until that "classic" (ie always overdone in movies) moment when they are both in the same room, in front of chaplain cassius, pointing at each other and saying "he's the clone! kill him!" the UMs won't know anything.

I can imagine an ending where this sort of thing happens, Tigurius perhaps, or Pasanius manages to decide who the bad guy is and kill him, and then Calgar says something like "who'da thunk it wasn't you gutting all those children? all is forgiven you can come back to the chapter as a member of your old squad (no captaincy)"

At which point Uriel will consider, realise that he's changed too much and would sully the chapter's traditions with his different ideas, and decide to leave. He will tell Pasanius to stay, but at the end they'll wander off together.

As a final twist in the tale, they are preparing to leave for parts unknown to do the emperor's bidding when a Deathwatch captain approaches them (at Calgar's request) and offers them permanent secondment to the Deathwatch, where being able to think on your feet is a desired ability.

End.

well I hope that mr. mcneill wont read your post:D

Khaine's Messenger
02-10-2007, 01:54
Is there a way back for him to the Ultramarines?

Sure. A little plastic surgery, bionics, mind-scrubbing, implantation of taint-detection fail-safes, and retraining and he'll be fit for service. Done and done; he'll be like a whole new person. Doubt it'll get done, though, since Uriel's personality is really what "makes" the UM books.

As to wanting to return...it'd be cute if Uriel acted like the remnants of Leonidas' (sp?) Blood Quest, but I don't see it. If he's offered a position back with the chapter, he's got no loose ends to tie up back in the Eye, so he'll likely take it.

If he does return to his chapter would he be Captain again?

I hope not. But that may be my inner Iron Hands "fanboi" demanding a hard-line approach to Uriel's "tragedy."

Vaulkhar
02-10-2007, 12:39
He may have a way back. The 4th ed Marine codex implies on pg 71 that the 4th company currently has no Captain: 'In the interim, they currently have an acting leader who bears Idaeus' heraldry'.

theultimateqpa
03-10-2007, 19:16
I was always a bit supraised that everybody always wants Uriel back to the Chapter.
Dont you all see the potential in the great concept:
,,the stories begin to grow, rumours circulating about two space marines wandering the void of cosmos. Their armour blue and iconless. Appearing unexpected when the need is dire and wanishing as quickly. No one knows who they really are. Some say they are former renegades who saw the wrongness of their deeds and are now roaming the galaxy repentant. Other say that they where once members of a proud and powerfull chapter, exilled in shame for the sins they did not commit. No longer a members of their brothers fraternity but still loyal to the Emperor, they seek out the enemies of the imperium, watching over His subjects. While others say that they are allthogether evil and cannot be trusted. bla, bla, bla etc, etc(insert moody w40k talk here),,
Basicly Uriel and Pasanius are free now, wich gives them a potential for many great adventures if the idea is executed correctly.

SonofUltramar
03-10-2007, 19:33
I think the Death Oath was basically "do this task, if you die then all is forgiven, if you survive then come on home"

A rumour I heard was that Ventris could return to 4th Company but would not be Captain, which is now Learchus, and that this could lead to interesting conflicts as Learchus is the "Codex" Captain and Ventris has to follow his lead?

All i'm going to say is i'm looking out for Ventris getting a Plasma Psitol after Mr McNeill and I discussed the finer points of not arming your charcters with the weapons you'd "always" take in the game. My idea was to have Learchus give him it as
1. My Learchus has a PP
and more importantly
2. It would show that the two rivals held no ill will
I know it won't happen but if it did i'd be so happy:)