PDA

View Full Version : How many of you use GW mini's exclusively?

antin3
01-10-2007, 21:14
Well that's my question, do you always use GW miniatures and if not what other companies do you use?

Chaplain Nikolai
01-10-2007, 21:18
Only GW's, prevents a lot of confusion when you play people you don't know.

sephiroth87
01-10-2007, 21:21
I use reaper, rackham, privateer press, wargods, crucible, old historical minis, reaper dark heaven, ral partha, moonlight minis, dragonblood, and about 500 more. Whatever looks good or that I can scrounge. Only my zombie pirate army is largely built from other companies, though. most of my stuff is GW and has weird or interesting models scattered through them.

Sentinel75
01-10-2007, 21:27
What Sephiroth said.. I have a lot of Grenadier (Nick Lund pieces who worked for Citadel mix with GW well) Ral Partha/Crucible/ cum Iron Wind, Old Glory, BOATloads of Reaper darkheaven and Warlords lines.
I dont play anywhere that requires GW only miniatures and never will. Take a gander at the old Warhammer: Armies book and the color plates have vast numbers of NON-gw models in the armies. I started my armies that way and will continue to use the best model for the armies, GW or not.

Kadrium
01-10-2007, 21:31
I'm too lazy to fuss with anything else.

EvC
01-10-2007, 21:54
Due to the poor amount of releases and great amount of delays in the last couple of years, my Vampire Counts have been bolstered by a few other companies' models, such as a Skeletal Rhinox, a Vampire Pirate, and a botched attempt to buy some Wargods of Aegyptus models...

theunwantedbeing
01-10-2007, 22:00
I keep to the GW range.
If the model I want isnt to my liking I modify it so it is.

Ravik
01-10-2007, 22:05
Entirely GW stuff except for one Rackham model, the Molouchs(?) or something like that. They're perfect for Beastmen Daemon Princes.

Still use the Warhammer Quest Minotaurs because so far I've yet to see decent models for them from any company, or at least enough of the decent ones to make a proper unit from.

sulla
01-10-2007, 22:09
Almost all GW but suplemented by a few gems from other companies.

W0lf
01-10-2007, 22:23
100% GW and 100% local store brought.

I play at the store reguarly and would rather use their models exclusivly and pay the extra cash to support my local store.

Sleazy
01-10-2007, 22:26
If I like it I buy it, surely its more interesting to look across the table and not see the same models in the same cookie cutter army you always see? I wanna be interested in my opponents choice of figures, I wanna see models and ranges I havent seen before.
Best example I can put to this..... this weekend I travelled down to London to watch the NHL Premiere, whilst there I tracked down "Orcs Nest". There are plenty GW's in London but I already know everything they will sell, I wanted something new. Anyway, when I eventually found Orc's Nest I bought a great Reaper mini called "Angel of Death" that I'm sure will look fantastic painted up for WFB, there were tons of other mini's I hadnt seen before, I would have bought more if they had been open on Sunday as well (did get a swanky Orc's Nest T shirt tho).

I have loadsa other ranges models in my Fantasy armies: Heresy, Reaper, Rackham, Black Tree all do fantastic minis that make unusual characters or variants in units.

GW do make great miniatures, their plastics make armies easier to build but GW minis arent the be all and end all.

Coragus
01-10-2007, 22:32
I won't refuse to play someone that chinces out and buys other models, but it really does annoy me. I played a game of 40K once against an orky player that shamelessly placed a bunch of warbuggies on the table that had begun life as $3 plastic toys. I was doubly pleased when I blew his army to small pieces.

I'm willing to put my resources into my hobby. So should you.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
01-10-2007, 22:35
I only use GW models, as I have a hard time getting hold of Tau substitutes!

Sleazy
01-10-2007, 22:42
I won't refuse to play someone that chinces out and buys other models, but it really does annoy me. I played a game of 40K once against an orky player that shamelessly placed a bunch of warbuggies on the table that had begun life as $3 plastic toys. I was doubly pleased when I blew his army to small pieces.

Its not about using toys, ther topic is other miniature companys.

Would you be annoyed if my miniatures were say... Guard using Urban War or a greater daemon using Heresys Netherlord??

Neither of these are "cheap" options, just options

Lord of Skulls
01-10-2007, 22:50
I mostly stick to GW models, but if I can find something that looks better from another manufacturer, and if I can be bothered to order them, I use other models as well. I've recently bought this (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=39&cat=9&page=3) and this (http://www.reapermini.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=40&cat=0&page=1) model to be my sorceresses in the Empire army I'm working on...

And I'm planning to make an army completely from historical miniatures some time in the future.

grickherder
01-10-2007, 22:51
Only GW's, prevents a lot of confusion when you play people you don't know.

I must be giving gamers too much credit in that if someone has some elf with a shield and spear that the opponent will be able to recognize it as an elf with a spear regardless of who makes it. I've seen people play where one of them has none GW miniatures and it goes something like this:

"When did those miniatures get released?"
"Oh, they're not GW's, they're made by Foundry."
"Those are way more awesome than the Empire Spearmen GW makes."
"Yeah, they're pretty cool aren't they. All metal as well."
"Neat."

I've never seen anyone stumped, ever. In the case of WFB, there's just only so many various medieval weapons that they're going to be holding and only so many humanoid forms that are going to be holding them. Like a bunch of Wargods of Aegyptus Anubi in a Tomb Kings army:

"What are those awesome jackal headed guys?!"
"Crocodile games makes them-- they're my tomb guard."
"Awesome."

It's never, ever been:

"Uh... zuh? I'm... confused... what... my brain..."
"They're elves holding spears and shields, right?"
"Agggg... can't tell... brain... slow..."
"They're elf spear men."
"Guhhhh...."
"I'm going to win this game, aren't it?"

Capitán Sánchez
01-10-2007, 22:56
I mostly use GW's models. I also like Foundry ones (specially Swashbucklers) and some Freebooter ones. Corvusbelli was a great choice for Empire and DoW players (I play the latter) but their 28mm is no longer available, I'm afraid.

Thank you

EmperorNorton
01-10-2007, 23:17
I like to add miniatures from other companies to my armies (Gamezone, Reaper, West Wind etc).
Looking beyond Fantasy I have complete Blood Bowl teams from other companies (Shadowforge, Phil's Phigs) and I don't feel bad in the least using them with GW's rules.
Still, GW minis form the vast majority of my collection.

Tehkonrad
02-10-2007, 00:49
GW all the way except for one Shadowforge thing that I've no idea were i got it..

Putty
02-10-2007, 02:24
i use GW models because they are easy to get over here. I recently spotted cool subsitutes for various units on Rackham, but nobody really brings them in, hence they will be very expensive if I intend to replace my dorky Spellsinger with the super cool one Rackham has.

Certain GW models are rather outdated. One particular model that I refuse to buy is the Chaos Chariots (in fact all the chariots have the same problem it seems) the mounts are... so .... static.... they look like they are standing... instead of running.

Also, Chaos Marauders are rather weak... I'm looking into changing their heads and weapons.

Crazy Harborc
02-10-2007, 02:55
When I game at the GW store, I use only GW's minies (I have plenty). I still have several hundred non-GW minies I used when I first started.....I still use them...now and then... just for grins.

I do expect the minies used to fit the stats that the WHFB unit calls for. i don't use Elves for Orcs etc.:angel:

The SkaerKrow
02-10-2007, 05:27
I'm a fan of cool models, which means I mostly use GW plastics, and pewter from alot of different companies. If I don't like a model, I will not buy it, no matter how great the unit might be in game. Sometimes I end up buying figures from a different line to stand in for it, or sometimes I do a conversion.

This came up most recently during the construction of my (somewhat evil) Wood Elf army, in which I combined Forest Goblin Spiders and Witch Elves to create my Wild Riders, yet I'm still looking for a company that produces a decent Treeman figure.

Goldenwolf
02-10-2007, 05:32
Only GW, as then I don't have to worry about anything.

I do like to MOD models though, so if I think it sucks I just change it

Scroofy
02-10-2007, 06:14
So far I have used GW minis only but I am definitely starting to become more open to the use of non GW minis. I have looked at the the sebeki models on crocodile miniatures to use as my Kroxigor and they look real cool. I have yet to buy them just in case I see something better. Anyone know a place to look at lizardmen type models?

Alathir
02-10-2007, 06:22
Not I!

Well... my only non GW mini is my Bretonnian paladin on foot. But damn he is a cool model!

Ward.
02-10-2007, 06:27
I love their models, some aren't all that realistic, but if i wanted realism I'd go outside.

Not so keen on the ghouls at the moment, but I'm gonna convert some from empire flaggies :)

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 06:32
100% gamesworkshop models!
100% from the store!
i dont like to substitute the minatures with other companies minatures because they dont fit with the minatures range.

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 07:10
I use Green Army Men.

dodicula
02-10-2007, 07:19
I use non gw mini's whenever I think the alternative looks better and (Rackham usually does), and encourage others to do so, competition is good for everybody.

Fortunately the bay area has mostly indy stores so I don't have to buy GW to support my store(s) (although I don't exclusively buy where I play either).

I guess my sig says it all.

The SkaerKrow
02-10-2007, 07:22
I use Green Army Men.

From the Cadian $.75th Unit, right? :D

cold0
02-10-2007, 11:50
Only GW.

I have used some D&D Miniatures as "stop-gap" measure while I was working on some new models for my Chaso Army. For example I have played using a Roper as Chaos Spawn and some Dire Wolves as Chaos Hounds.

For WFRP I use a mix of Reaper/GW miniatures, plus the D&D miniatures stuff.

Jedi152
02-10-2007, 11:53
Always. I have only ever really played in a GW store.

WarpWhisperer
02-10-2007, 12:05

Never heard of looted vehicles? ;)

Mix and match is my key philosophy. If you like the look of something, go ahead and use it. For instance my first daemon prince was converted with a HOOGE Daemon Axe from Heresy's original Netherlord, much better than the whimpish sword it had to start with. I could have chosen to sculpt something, but this was easier and my sculpting isn't really up to scratch...

If you went into a shop wanting to buy some crisps/chocolate etc, you wouldn't just consider a single companies merchandise when making your choice...

Makaber
02-10-2007, 12:14
I use GW models, but it's just out of convenience than anything else. If I found better looking models that fit with the range in question, I wouldn't hesitate getting some "foreign talent" in there.

Cry of the Wind
02-10-2007, 16:44
I play a lot in GW tournaments and at GW stores/events and so need to have GW models. Even then there are only a few other models out there that I would consider buying. Most of the GW stuff I get because I like the look of and so other model companies with different styles don't appeal to me. It's why I play 40k more than Warmachine and don't play games like AT-43 and others.

antin3
02-10-2007, 21:56
I started this post and I will say that up to this point I have used ony GW mini's. It's been over ten years so I'd say I use them exclusively. It's not that I don't like other ranges it's just that I like to convert and it's fun to have a cool converted model that is 100% GW that people will ask me about.
You know I read quite a bit about how terrible and evil GW is and how their models aren't realistic etc. but we're talking about giants and elves and dwarves here. Another thing for all the people who hate that GW does this or doesn't do that, do you think we would have this great forum if it wasn't for GW. Think about all of the secondary companies and shops made available for people who game to meet and play their games. I think much of that can be attributed to GW.

ZeroTwentythree
02-10-2007, 22:19
You know I read quite a bit about how terrible and evil GW is and how their models aren't realistic etc. but we're talking about giants and elves and dwarves here. Another thing for all the people who hate that GW does this or doesn't do that, do you think we would have this great forum if it wasn't for GW. Think about all of the secondary companies and shops made available for people who game to meet and play their games. I think much of that can be attributed to GW.

That's not exactly it. I don't find them evil, and I do like quite a few of their figures.

But I've been in the game for a long time as well. A bit longer than 10 years. I remember playing a variety of games with a variety of figures. We'd use our GW figures in Ral Parta or TSR or Grenadier's wargames, and we'd use RP, Grenadier, etc. miniatures in Warhammer. Once upon a time, people used to be a lot less uptight about playing games with little toy elves and goblins.

And grickherder nailed it right on the head.

I really think the "confusion" aspect has been overblown. Elves with spears and shields, goblins with bows, whatever... it's really not that confusing if you're using a bit of common sense (e.g. not substituting robots for skinks or something way-off like that...)

Also, some of those "secondary companies and shops" have been around as long as or longer than GW, and have an existence independent of GW. I imagine a good number of them would be around, even if GW never existed.

That said... I've got a significant variety of figures in my collection from many manufacturers. As someone else mentioned, Foundry makes some excellent figures to use as Empire troops (nice metal figures sculpted by the Perrys, even!) My skaven are 98% GW, that's about as close as it gets to 100%.

edit:

Actually, one more thing. It is completely possible to buy other figures because one likes them, and buy GW figures because one likes them as well. There seems to be a strange view among many (newer) players that if you buy non-GW figures you are either stabbing GW in the back or doing it because you hate GW. It's like a huge chunk of the gaming population is stuck at either one or the other extreme of being a GW zombie or having an irrational hatred of the company. I find this very odd.

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2007, 22:43
I dont think he was saying they wouldnt be around.
I think he was more putting across the point that GW is the only one of the lot that really bother with setting up stores and creating full systems of rules and so forth.

I know some others do have rules but they arent as in depth or complex o....

Etc etc as the current warhammer range and amount of rules are.
I know dungeouns and dragons is far more complex but you get the idea.
GW seems to do more for its customers than anyone else and makes more of an effort to put itself across as a business than the others do.

Lord_Squinty
02-10-2007, 22:52
100% GW and 100% local store brought.

I play at the store reguarly and would rather use their models exclusivly and pay the extra cash to support my local store.

As do I, and people wonder why GW then close their local stores....
We *well most from my store* even load up on gift vouchers from our local store when going to Games Day / tournies etc - keeps the local store healthy.

skavenguy13
02-10-2007, 22:54
I guess it depends. Nowhere here can I have other similar ratmen of good quality. I found a good Ratman from Reaper and 2 rather big giant rats (pretty big as in "they take at least 2 bases"). And the ratman is now unavailable.

Orcs and goblins, NO. For the simple reason that I want my army rather pretty, but mostly as cheap as possible. I know it's a very long-term project and I want my money to go into other stuff first. So I got ridiculous deals (12 black orcs and Grimgor for 10$? Of course!) and many of those starter boxes. I don't think there's a company anywhere that rivalizes the cheapness AND quality of the starter boxes. That's 500 points of mostly little cheap troopers for 30$.

-Ogres? No. Because this army will be incredible. I think I might play them in big tourneys someday if I have the chance. So I want GW minis.

However, there's quite a few reasons that I would buy from other companies. For example, I found Rackham to have a decent quality, but prices are VERY standardized. A monster barely costs more than a dwarf. So if I see cool monsters, I'll be very tempted to buy. And then there's confrontation. In my experience it costs a damn lot (no cheap troopers, mostly), but have a different look and a very good quality. You can be sure if they made ratmen, that's where I'd find my metal minis.

So I do not use 100% GW minis. More like 95%. However, that's because everyone of my army has reasons (skavens don't exist, I want cheap greenskins, tourney ogres). But I'm not reluctant to buy from other companies if it suits my needs. The cheap Reaper rat-ogre I found is a good example.

Overt_Spy
02-10-2007, 23:40
I do! But that streak is about to end, as soon as I get my Avatars of War Elves, although that's just going to be one hero High Elf, so the rest of the army is going to be all GW High Elves.

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 23:49
Another reson is that some companies copy gamesworkshop eg Gamezone minatures goblin with ball and chain= night goblin fanatic!

mistformsquirrel
02-10-2007, 23:59
So far, All GW - but thats because I've not *yet* found another mini company thats given me anything to work with thats any better.

Simply put, when I go to buy minis for an army, I go through a selection process:

First - I look at the GW ranges - it makes sense to start there; because that way I can use them more places without worry. If I don't see anything I like for the unit I'm building, I go to step 2.

Step 2 - Can I convert something easily to be what I want? Again, sticking within the GW range? If no, step 3.

Step 3 - Alright, does anyone ELSE have minis that look like what I want?

Unfortunately, every time I've gotten to step 3 thus far I've had to give up, because the stuff I tend to want, apparently *no one* makes <,< or at least not the way I want it. (I have yet to see a range of good heavily armored female warriors for instance. Its all chainmail bikinis and bondage gear or nun habits)

That said, if I ever DO see something that catches my eye, I'm not going to say "Well, GW doesn't make it, so I won't buy it" - hardly. As a consumer, and particularly as a hobbyist, I want my army to look and feel like I intended it to, regardless of who makes the minis for it.

Also, on the topic of using toys - It depends on what someone does to them. If they just bought some crappy 3 dollar toy cars, and stuck an ork on them, then yeah, I'd be annoyed to. But you can do A LOT with toys to make them perfectly suited to Warhammer. I have a couple F14s I may turn into Land Speeders; and one rather large aircraft that *might* just become a Thunderhawk if I get the gumption.

mistformsquirrel
03-10-2007, 00:02
Also, Chaos Marauders are rather weak... I'm looking into changing their heads and weapons.

Obviously, this depends on your theme, but what I did was convert some Empire Militia using the shields from the Knights of the Empire set >.> Believe it or not, it worked out quite nicely; and I used a lot of clipped horns and greenstuff to give the Marauders some suitably Chaotic mutations. Looks good imho.

thorgrim
03-10-2007, 00:31
GW all the way.

Crazy Harborc
03-10-2007, 00:41
I'm a fan of cool models, which means I mostly use GW plastics, and pewter from alot of different companies. If I don't like a model, I will not buy it, no matter how great the unit might be in game. Sometimes I end up buying figures from a different line to stand in for it, or sometimes I do a conversion.

This came up most recently during the construction of my (somewhat evil) Wood Elf army, in which I combined Forest Goblin Spiders and Witch Elves to create my Wild Riders, yet I'm still looking for a company that produces a decent Treeman figure.

There was/is a great post complete with photo about a guy who made his own using....well, real life tree parts. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what thread it was in/on, just that it was/is on Warseer AND recently too.

That said.......Get a tree branch (or several). It's better if there is still sap in it/them.;). You will need a modeling knife, a small saw (one hand kind), a modeling saw. Select a goodly thick trunk for the body. To make the hands, cut up the ends of the selected arms. After making many cuts, notches, etc, splay (spread) those ends (kinda like a spiked hair style head of hair)

starlight
03-10-2007, 00:53
Mostly GW, but that's largely due to my time a Staff, when I picked up a boatload of stuff that I haven't finished with yet.

Say 97% GW for the rank and file of my Imperial forces, down to 50% for my Orks and a few large pieces from other companies... ;)

However, If I'm in a store and I see a model i like, I don't care where it came from.

The Old Scholar
03-10-2007, 03:51
From the Cadian $.75th Unit, right? :D

Yeah, and my Ogryns are made up of A Barrel of Monkeys.

Ethlorien
03-10-2007, 19:06
I use mostly GW models, but I do have many Rackham figures I use for my armies (Ophidian Apostates of Darkness make great Chaos Heroes and Cardinal Aerth makes an awesome Empire General IMO).

zak
03-10-2007, 19:17
Pretty much all GW, but I have strayed a couple of times as I use a Dire Troll from Privateer Press as my Gorger and the Avatars of War Dark Elf Hero. The first one because the GW Gorger is awful and the latter because GW don't produce them.

Mr. Smuckles
03-10-2007, 19:27
While most of the time I find that GW has produced the highest quality miniature for the type of unit I want to use, they occasionally have some really abysmal models.

Treeman/Treekin I'm looking at you.

bhusus
03-10-2007, 20:36
I find its more a matter of forcing creativity if I use GW minis as it restricts what I can build conversion-wise...because I enjoy converting so much I feel like going out of the range is 'cheating' - now for those who do this, keep in mind I only feel this way about my own minis, not yours.

Crube
03-10-2007, 20:38
I currently always use GW minis.

No objection to other company's stuff, other than not being able to readily get hold of what I want (When I'm looking for something new, I like to hold it and examine it carefully) I'd have no problem playing WFB against a whole army of othe minis, as long as it was obvious what was what.

In addition, I mainly play in Tournaments held at GW locations, so I really need to stay with GW minis for that.

I do like the idea of using some Wargods minis in a TK army though.

Stella Cadente
03-10-2007, 20:48
I use

GW
Rackham
Privateer press
Hasslefree
and I've seen many others companies models I would gladly use

diversity is the spice of life

antin3
03-10-2007, 21:13
bhusus-You said it exactly! I love converting so much that I too feel like I'm "cheating" by going outside the range. Again that is my own personal feelings what anyone else does doesn't bother me. I have to say though, those Avatars of War models are awesome and fit in with the range perfectly. That Dark Elf hero is calling my name and I don't even play Dark Elves. Maybe it wouldn't be "cheating" totally since the guy used to work for GW.

Crazy Harborc
03-10-2007, 21:28
Time was......I was pushing Empire, Empire and Empire. My Units of foot were a mix of minies from different makers. They were all on 20 and 25 by 50mm bases. Artillery was mainly Elastolin Hauser's war machines/cannons. My cavalry was Essex made. Grenadier, Minifigs, Heritage, Ral Partha and a couple of companies I can't remember the names of, minies here and there.

I still have, ohhhh....2-3 thousand of them.:D Hey!! I'm a wargamer who collects too:p

Fredmans
04-10-2007, 09:27
With so many good miniatures' companies around, why not use their minis? The bulk of my armies is still definitely GW, but I have entire rank and file units made up of Rackham miniatures (dead expensive, but looks great). I run Dragon Rune orcs as Big 'uns/Black orcs, heroes I buy from anywhere (Freebooter, Reaper, Avatars of War). Tired of GW Snotlings? Try Foundry Orclings.

I love miniatures too much to say: GW is the best. GW is good and they produce many good plastic regiments. Some of their sculptors are great, some are not.

/Fredmans

Braad
04-10-2007, 09:48
It's all GW, apart from three AOW orcs&gobbo's.

Reason... mainly style. Orcs from other companies are nearly always different.
Rackham has some pretty nice models though. If I ever find some time maybe I'd do a few just for painting.

grickherder
04-10-2007, 09:56
I'm very, very open to non-GW miniatures, but have found that for a lot of things, I can get GW stuff for cheaper on eBay than I would pay for some of the alternatives.

That said, if I ever did one of the historically based Fantasy Battle armies, I would totally use historical miniatures.

DarkLord Of Naggaroth
04-10-2007, 13:46
all I've got that isn't from GW is the new Avatars of War highborn
but if I saw something else really cool that I needed, I wouldn't hesitate to get it.

actually I've not bought any minis from GW in a long time, I buy them off ebay ;)

Bretonnian Lord
04-10-2007, 21:41
I only use GW minis, although I sometimes swap stuff from 40k and Fantasy with each other...

Mordante
05-10-2007, 01:26
Some would say I go out of my way not to use GW minis.
I have 2 units of Reaper lizardmen Saurus. My salamanders are old Ral Partha dinosaur looking lizards that look much better than the GW sallies IMO.
I use Rakham wolfen for my ogre maneaters, I have a troll model from Reaper that makes a better gorger than the GW gorger (although I use both). I have a beastman army that includes all of the Crocodile Games Wendigo models (mostly as characters and bestigors), including the abominable snowbeast as a chaos giant. I use a Macfarlane dragon that matches the Wendigo army as my Dragon ogre shaggoth.

I've never confused anyone with my substitutions as far as I know and never had a problem with anyone playing with me because of it. A few people make fun of me for it, since I also like to switch around things within the GW line as well. I use DE chariots pulled by slaneshi steeds for slanesh chaos chariots, goblin spiders (without riders) for my chaos hounds, etc.

I also use GW and Reaper models for one of my Wargods of Aegyptus warbands, so it goes both ways.

I just don't get the "only GW" mentality I guess. There are so many really good models out there to be used!

TimGauthier
06-10-2007, 17:08
I use the GW mini's but I am not committed to their rules.

grickherder
06-10-2007, 18:51
I guess I should probably ammend my answer to say that while I use GW stuff for 40k and WFB as well as some for Bloodbowl, GW's stuff makes up a minority of my miniatures that I use for a variety of games.

Wyatt
06-10-2007, 19:16
I use only GW minis, but I tend to scratch-build (badly) most vehicles.

Urgat
06-10-2007, 19:20
I'm using mostly GW minis, but I do have a few freebooter minis (a "forest" goblin, and a few chicks for my forever-being-started DE army)

DhaosAndy
06-10-2007, 19:20
Voted sometimes, I've always collected non GW mini's and I'll use them in games outside of official GW events/stores. Tournament armies are 100% GW all the time, honest. :angel:

My loyalty to GW has taken a few knocks lately. :evilgrin:

chainer7
06-10-2007, 20:18
I like quite alot of Gws models and plan on playing alot in store and at my local gaming club too so I will need to use Gw models to be able to play their.

chivalrous
07-10-2007, 00:45
Yes, I do, although I exclusively buy them from EBay ;)
On the other hand, I don't exclusively use miniatures from the same army list, so in my Dark elves, there are a smattering of High and Wood Elf models.

jeremycobert
07-10-2007, 01:32
i use GW plastics , but their metal characters are somewhat boring, so i use reaper minis for all of my characters.

Weldo Rubin
07-10-2007, 13:59
I always use Games Workshop's models. I always buy them instead of borrowing them from other players or the like; I like to spend money on something produced by Games Workshop.

Qdeu
07-10-2007, 20:13
I use games workshop models for core units, simply because it is nearly impossible to find a decent amount of similar models in other ranges (for instance some reaper goblins look extremely cool, but there are only 4 poses available and whatever you'll do, they won't mix with gw goblins). However, when I am in need of a particular model I have used :
Reaper
Rackham
Ilyad Games (they have some trully mindblowingly cool sculpts, like the Ironmouth or Imperial Wizard)
Dwarf Tales Miniatures
Gamezone Miniatures (some minis are trully excellent, especially horses and wolves, but I will not touch their dwarf line with a 100foot pole, while wearing a gas mask and thick gloves:P)

Like someone allready said in this thread: variety is the spice of life.