PDA

View Full Version : army idea: eldar/dark eldar

warmaster tz'arkan
01-10-2007, 23:20
i am collecting an eldar army and like eldar, but i like the dark stuff and all that of the dark eldar better. so i got the idea of converting them and then painting them to look like recent eldar gone dark. is this a good idea?:confused:. and how would you go about it?

the1stpip
01-10-2007, 23:22
It is always feasible for a Craftworld to embrace the darker ways to save themselves from extinction.

As for modelling though, I don't know. I suspect they would not be 'true' Dark Eldar, has they would not be allowed to Cormorragh. So I would use the Eldar list, but maybe paint the models in muted tones, and maybe use Wraithguard to represent the declining population of the Craftworld.

warmaster tz'arkan
01-10-2007, 23:27
good points.how come they wouldnt be allowed into comorragh?

Marstfu
02-10-2007, 02:22
'Cause they're, you know..

Craftworlders.

The_Outsider
02-10-2007, 02:31
Eh, its a grey area really.

The true DE may embrace them for seeing the true path.

Or

They may reject them (as if they followed a foolish path once they could easily do it again).

The difficulty with your idea is using the DE list would require quite a lot of remodelling from the eldar range.

But yeah, using the eldar list is a good idea - but stick to the "pure" military side of things.

I.e only use an auturach for HQ, avoid guardians for dire avengers etc.

Dr.Clock
02-10-2007, 03:07
I think pirates is the 'grey region' you are looking for. They are a little more jaded and less idealistic than the 'worlders and a little less sick and perverted than the Dark Kin... excellent fodder for conversions.

I recently bought a buddy's DE warriors and some Guardian heads and catapults... they look awesome...

Beyond that, look into getting high/dark-elf bits. Phil Kelly put deark Elf warrior heads on some guardians and they looked great. The puffy sleeves and coats of the High elves can really drive home the 'pirate' feel.

I figure pirates would adopt a very aggressive-looking style that wouldn't neessarily be exactly what they were really like. They'd aim to intimidate the enemy with their appearance...

Building an effective list might be tricky, though.

Some aspects might fit in, but only as 'counts-as'... massive converting will likely be required.

Look into the fluff surrounding the fleets of both brands of elves in WFB for ideas on how things might work/what units to use.

For starters, I think guardians, jetbikes, fire-dragons, scorpions, vypers, spears, and all heavy support except wraithlords would all fit.

Dire avengers might be iffy... the type of utility they get out of shuriken catapults takes a long time to learn.

For a piratical Craftworld, these things stay the same, with the populace carrying on widely dispersed 'guerilla' warfare in space, operating far from home for extended periods... This is something that has not really been mentioned as being closely linked with any other craftworld to the extent that, say, Alaitoc is seen as closely linked to the Way of the Outcast (scouts)... this is likely because there is no 'one unit' that fits the scheme...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

UncleCrazy
02-10-2007, 04:31
I am almost done with a CP list of Pirate convertions. I have been using Empire, High Elf, and Guardian parts to make them. So far so Good.

bhusus
02-10-2007, 05:03
Just to be clear, you plan on using Eldar rules and essentially your army is Craftworld but you just want to make them look 'darker'. My advice is don't do what GW did - spiky does not equal 'evil' as DE models are for the most part kind of...ugly...I agree with some of the other posters - use WFB elves along with weapons from DE and Eldar and you can probably come up with some amazing conversions.

warmaster tz'arkan
02-10-2007, 22:08
sounds cool. if you go to the army lists section of warseer 40k, you can look at my 2k eldar army list and what im thinking of putting in it.

Shadowseer Crofty
02-10-2007, 23:06
One idea for pirate lists would be to use storm guardians as one of your troops choices, with a warlock with enhance for their 'sergeant'-the witchblade representing some exotic weapon discovered by the pirates and enhance, rather than representing the power of the warlock, representing the skill of the pirates.

warmaster tz'arkan
02-10-2007, 23:09
fair enough

Totenkopf
03-10-2007, 00:02
I am almost done with a CP list of Pirate convertions. I have been using Empire, High Elf, and Guardian parts to make them. So far so Good.

Any chance of some pics?