PDA

View Full Version : WHY?! (Spraypaint)

LoneSniperSG
01-10-2007, 23:35
Why the crap is GW offloading the Citadel Colour sprays? Why are they dumping off the wonderful white primer and replacing it with junk that goes on too thick?

RavenMorpheus
01-10-2007, 23:38
Probably cos it's cheaper and GW can make more /$ out of it that way.

Doh bashing GW again. :D

If it's going on too thick, stand further away - simple really.

Gwedd
01-10-2007, 23:50
Why the crap is GW offloading the Citadel Colour sprays? Why are they dumping off the wonderful white primer and replacing it with junk that goes on too thick?

Comrade,

Simple solution: Stop using GW spray paints. They are over-priced. Go to your DIY store and purchase some white automobile primer. I personally get mine at WalMart here in the states. It's about $1.00/can, and gives a near-perfect coat to my mins, both metal and plastic. Primer paints come in white, light grey, dark grey rust and black. I use all of them depending upon what I'm doing.

Seriously, check out either a DIY store, or paint store and get their stuff. Even the high-end brand-name paints like Krylon and Rustoleum are in bigger cans for less money than what GW wants.

Respects,

carlisimo
01-10-2007, 23:53
GW primer is the best deal you can get with name-brand modeling primers. Just compare it to a Tamiya can...

Soak it in hot water before using. Avoid humid days. That's general advice for all spray paints.

Ravenous
02-10-2007, 00:17
The GW spray isnt even primer anymore.

You might have also noticed that some of the paints arent sticking as well as they used to.

Im sure both situations have nothing to do with forcing you to use more paint so you have to go and get another conveinently getting GW more money.

Vineas
02-10-2007, 00:18
I get Krylon primers from Wal-mart for like $2.50/can. I can get 3 cans for what GW charges for one can of their crappy paints, which aren't really primers IMO. I have gotten way better results with Krylon than Citadel.

Ozendorph
02-10-2007, 00:25
The GW spray isnt even primer anymore.

I tried to explain this to a GW staffer the other day. He was trying to tell me that Chaos Black is primer, and that it's somehow an improvement over the old Black Primer. I wanted to choke him, but I bought some models instead. That'll show him.

greenmtvince
02-10-2007, 00:27
I'll second the vote for 97 cent Wal Mart Flat Black, Flat White, and Equipment Grey Primer.

Ravenous
02-10-2007, 00:53
I tried to explain this to a GW staffer the other day. He was trying to tell me that Chaos Black is primer, and that it's somehow an improvement over the old Black Primer. I wanted to choke him, but I bought some models instead. That'll show him.

There is no point in trying to tell anyone who works for GW that anything they make is bad, its just a uphill endeavor from the get go.

Part of the hiring process is the psycho-screening to make sure they are extremely susceptible to brain washing.

Its not an improvement, it sucks. It sprays goop, an unwary customer would easily ruin a model if they dont test spray first (a must with dealing with anything "new" from GW). Weird enough the foundation paints go on great over the new primer but the normal range seems to get sucked up, which is again extremely convienent.

Primer sticks to a surface evenly and holds any paint preventing "rub off", liquid spray just throws paint, chips easy as hell and rub off is extremely common. This is why the old Chaos black primer was a different colour then the chaos black jar paint, because it was in fact primer where as now its liquid spray.

Im going to let you guys guess which is easy to produce and cheaper to make (but not cheaper for us it seems, with the lack of prices going down).

Wolf Scout Ewan
02-10-2007, 01:13
I took the advice of a certain mod and bought black acrylic primer from Halfords.

Its pretty much exactly the same as the old gw stuff but has 50% more in a can!

In fact, I daresay, its better than the old GW stuff!

LoneSniperSG
02-10-2007, 04:34
My friend's been blathering on to me about hobby paints they carry at the Wal Mart he works at. I think it's about time I hit the place up..

And then I need to go to the hardware store or home depot and find some acrylic grey paint. I don't want to paint a Baneblade and three Russes by hand.

Hellebore
02-10-2007, 04:43
I haven't used GW spray paints in years (excepting the coloured ones).

Hellebore

fwacho
02-10-2007, 04:43
I'll second the vote for 97 cent Wal Mart Flat Black, Flat White, and Equipment Grey Primer.

Been using that stuff for 10 years now. Works great. (colortyme is the brand name) their gloss is a great sealer too... you just have to let it sit for 24 hours. The fumes ain't that bad either. there other colors also match paints you can buy in the store in the art section. talk about fast painting. simply base in red (for blood angels) green (for dark angels), or dark blue (for some decent ultra marines) take care of two steps in one easy to do one.

Krylon isn't too bad. the fumes are terrible, though, with it. It also has matching colors in the paint section.

There is no good reason to ever by a citadel spray paint, unless the ride to buy something else is prohibitively expensive.

LoneSniperSG
02-10-2007, 04:50
Bad fumes? Like.. So-bad-i-need-a-death-korps-mask?

The UnNamed One
02-10-2007, 04:56
i use Resene spray primer, thats $9.50NZ a can and you get about 25 More paint than the GW cans for just less than half the price.

CrewDog
02-10-2007, 04:57
I haven't used GW spray paints in years (excepting the coloured ones).

Hellebore

Aren't they all coloured? http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d59/crewdog9023/anim_beer.gif

Hellebore
02-10-2007, 04:58
Aren't they all coloured? http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d59/crewdog9023/anim_beer.gif

Unfortunately black and white aren't colours;)

Hellebore

bhusus
02-10-2007, 05:46
Technically white is made up of all colours
But anyway I just use car primer from my local Canadian Tire - I don't paint but my buddy who does has had NO problems with it so pretty much any primer can work

Ward.
02-10-2007, 06:06
I don't like automobile primer, seems to build up too easily on "fur"

I must admit that I like the gw spray paint, as It doesn't eat foam core when I forget to seal it :cool:

But that's about as close as I let it get to my mini's :evilgrin:

Gen.Steiner
02-10-2007, 07:45
Er. I've never had any problems with GW spraypaint. :confused:

Dicey
02-10-2007, 08:03
Technically white is made up of all colours

Not quite, white in light is made up of all the colours but not in paint, its a physics thing :cheese:

Ward.
02-10-2007, 09:11
Gen.Steiner: As it was under my post, I'll reply, I think it's my heavy thinning of paint that does it, but Gw paint primer/ paint, tends to show through too easily and kind of "wash's" off leaving me with a black brush.

EDIT: Fixed grammar.

Souleater
02-10-2007, 09:22
Halfords car spray works better for me than the GW types, plus cheaper.

Stella Cadente
02-10-2007, 12:04
I have used Hycote Car body spray (usually 2.00-2.50) now for over 10 years, with 0 problems, for the 3 years I used GW spray I had nothing but problems (usually...umm well price wise pick a number between 5 and 10), sometimes it went on thick, sometimes it didn't even go on at all, sometimes it would do 10 men and run out, its terrible

bhusus
02-10-2007, 14:46
Not quite, white in light is made up of all the colours but not in paint, its a physics thing :cheese:

Riiight...always mix up light an pigment...it has been about 7 years since I've done anything physics related...including painting my miniatures...

ChaosMaster
02-10-2007, 15:38
Krylon spray primer and paint is wonderful, fast to use and inexpensive. I use it all the time. Check out my Cadian army at the link in my signature. Nearly every model in the army was basecoated with Krylon, then the shading, highlights and secondary colors were painted on with Citadel paints. In the case of the armoured vehicles, all three of the camouflage colors were sprayed on with Krylon before highlighting with Citadel paints.

Light of the Emperor
02-10-2007, 15:47
I've been told that the old GW primers are of the same makeup as the Krylon primers. I use Krylon and it works quite well.

ChaosMaster
02-10-2007, 15:48
Krylon was indeed the manufacturer of GW's spray paint line years ago, at least in the US, although this may have changed over time.

Jedi152
02-10-2007, 15:56
I took the advice of a certain mod and bought black acrylic primer from Halfords.

Its pretty much exactly the same as the old gw stuff but has 50% more in a can!

In fact, I daresay, its better than the old GW stuff!
Exactly. It took me a while to get onto Halfords spray, and i'll never go back now.

shadowsun68
02-10-2007, 16:09
hey guys i think i mite pop down the local halfords and get a primer and try it. i would like 2 know if anyone knows if there is a silver primer that can be bought from halfords that is like mithril silver i have greyknights to paint and also a bestial brown?? lol
over and out
chris

Captain Micha
02-10-2007, 16:27
Never use gw sprays... they really suck

also, don't use walmart stuff either. (or anything else cheap) Duplicolor, Krylon, and Brite Touch are your best bets for primer.

the quality is > even gws best stuff that they ever made.

Jedi152
02-10-2007, 16:41
hey guys i think i mite pop down the local halfords and get a primer and try it. i would like 2 know if anyone knows if there is a silver primer that can be bought from halfords that is like mithril silver i have greyknights to paint and also a bestial brown?? lol
over and out
chris
Probably both. They have tons of colours.

Note that you don't only want to look at the actual Halfords primer (they only do grey, white and red), i use the matt spray and that's fine and comes in tons of colours.

shadowsun68
02-10-2007, 16:49
thanks jedi i will have a look at those. so i should belive 2 get a colour identical?? to bestial brown and mithril silver do you know any the names?? if not i will do the usual trial and error.
over and out
chris

Jedi152
02-10-2007, 17:00
You might have trouble getting an identical match, but i'm sure you can get close.

etancross
02-10-2007, 17:35
do you guys use anyting for after your models are painted to keep them from chipping? If so what? if you use something from a DIY location PLEEEZE disclose!

Gen.Steiner
02-10-2007, 17:40
Yes. It's called varnish, and GW sells a jolly good pot version known as Purity Seal (gloss) but Humbrol do matt, semi-matt and gloss varnishes. These are, however, in tins and enamel which means you need to use white spirit to clean your brushes.

For that ultra-hard never-chip effect, gloss varnish a figure then matt varnish it. Or, you can just gloss varnish them - the extra layer of matt is optional and depends on if you like a more 'realistic' finish.

Minibull
02-10-2007, 17:53
For that ultra-hard never-chip effect, gloss varnish a figure then matt varnish it. Or, you can just gloss varnish them - the extra layer of matt is optional and depends on if you like a more 'realistic' finish.

I guess this would be a bad place, amongst you professional painters, to mention 'dipping'... It also works!

Wyatt
02-10-2007, 18:15
I've only used two cans of primer :rolleyes:. Both have been Citadel, and both have been fine.

One was skull white that a friend gave me, painted a whole SM army.

The other was chaos black, new from a store. That did... a baneblade, two tanks, and 40 troops, plus a light spray on some scenery (it didn't do it that well) before running out.

Gen.Steiner
02-10-2007, 18:38
I guess this would be a bad place, amongst you professional painters, to mention 'dipping'... It also works!

Psh, if it works, use it. I don't like using dipping myself, but I've seen some amazing dipped armies. :) And I'm not surprised it never chips, it's bloody wood stain! :p

Culven
02-10-2007, 18:53
I thought an object's colour was determined by the colour of light reflected by the pigment. Hence "red" objects reflect red light and absorb other colours. If so, then wouldn't white be all colours (as it reflects all wavelengths) and black is the absence of colour (absorbing all wavelengths)?

Back on topic, I use Krylon Flat White or Ultra-Flat Black to prime my models. On clean models, it adheres quite well. After painting (often with cheap craft paints ;)), I always varnish my figures with a few layers of Krylon Matte Varnish. I have never had paint rub off a finished figure; though, they will chip if they are knocked about.

Darkane
02-10-2007, 19:10
I can totally agree on everyone else's sentiments on Games Workshop's spray undercoat stuff. I was having a hard time getting my Macharius coated up despite the fact I had thoroughly cleaned the tank. Forgeworld stuff is tough enough as it is to get an undercoat to stay on. After I finally got fed up trying the games workshop stuff, I went and bought a $2 can of black primer from orchard supply that was only a slightly smaller can than games workshop's undercoat. It sprayed on beautifully and I even tested it out by digging my nails into it a bit and it still stuck on. So needless to say I won't be using games workshops spray anymore...

Mad Doc Grotsnik
02-10-2007, 19:15
Never had serious problems myself.

The only trouble I've had has stemmed from spraying wrong, resulting in a pitted surface.

Todosi
02-10-2007, 20:11
There is no point in trying to tell anyone who works for GW that anything they make is bad, its just a uphill endeavor from the get go.

Part of the hiring process is the psycho-screening to make sure they are extremely susceptible to brain washing.

Kind of a generalization isn't it?? I used to work for GW and was happy to tell people that they could get their spray primer from any number of sources after we changed to the crappy new formula. I myself use Krylon Ultra Flat Black. I don't deny that GW does employ people that worship all things GW, but please don't paint us all with that fanatical brush. Some of us just like the game and want people to enjoy it as well.

etancross
02-10-2007, 20:50
Kind of a generalization isn't it?? I used to work for GW and was happy to tell people that they could get their spray primer from any number of sources after we changed to the crappy new formula. I myself use Krylon Ultra Flat Black. I don't deny that GW does employ people that worship all things GW, but please don't paint us all with that fanatical brush. Some of us just like the game and want people to enjoy it as well.

Drink the kool-aid Todosi..... DRINK IT!!! ;)

narlix
02-10-2007, 21:40
Dupli-color sandable automotive primer, its 5 dollars a can, has a fan spray nozzle for better control and coverage. Its thin and dosen't fill gaps ( its ment to but for some reason it doesn't) it looks smooth but has a slight tooth to hold the paint better, its also a Blue black rather than a brown black so its shows dark. It also drys quick like 15 mins.

as for finsh coats, Krylon makes a matte finsh thats not bad and once agian 5 bucks a can.

I always used GW Black Primer, for a long time, but once it hit 10 dollars a can it hurt to buy them. Then when it went from primer to just Chaos black well i went and found another primer.

iseeleadpeople
02-10-2007, 22:14
question -

what blue from halfords = ultramarines darkblue
red = blood red
green = darkangel green
and the best black?

sits with wallet as bus from work drops him up the road from halfords and is sick of the way the games workshop primers are (ahem! primers!)

Ravenous
02-10-2007, 22:44

I should have put a ' ;) ' in.

It was a joke mate. We all know GW employees arent all completely insane and undyingly devoted to the GW way of life...

Just 99.9% of them. :D

Hokiecow
03-10-2007, 01:13
What about the paints? Do you use them or something from say wal-mart?>

Gwedd
03-10-2007, 01:59
Comrade,

the only GW paints I use are some inks I won in a contest. Everything else is either craft paint from the local WalMart or Vallejo. I use clear matte spray as a final coat. Sometimes I get Krylon, but usually it's whatever is the least expensive at WalMart or the local DIY store.

Same with cements, scenic materials, etc. GW is way overpriced. I use Testor's Liquid Cement for Plastic on the kits, and Cyanoacrylate for the metals. I buy virtually ALL my scenic materials from Woodland Scenics.

Respects,