PDA

View Full Version : I do not understand GW. Please someone explain! (new high elves).

The Questioner
01-10-2007, 23:40
I’ve been an High Elves fan since a time when I had no money to buy miniatures. Luckily enough, since nowadays models seem to be much better, with few exceptions, and my job and ebay allowed me to buy practically all of them. Old models were too big, pyramidal and disproportioned to be appreciable without accurate painting. Actually I wonder why I was so impressed by them when I was a kid (perhaps because there was nothing else of the kind around).
Now that I’ve seen the new stuff, I’m disappointed.
Some things I just do not understand. They not only do not make sense from a, say, artistic point of view, but even in commercial terms these choices look absurd to me. Here are some examples:
- Shadow warriors have been redone. The current models are perhaps the best of the whole range (except for the heroes on foot, which are even better). On ebay it’s almost impossible to buy them with a real discount. In Italian I’d say “they sell as bread” (can’t remember the corresponding English idiom). Besides, there’s also a parallel range of Shadow Warriors for Mordheim which is almost as good, even though less detailed. Now spending money for making new Shadow Warriors moulds looks like commercial idiocy on the part of GW. Then why? Can someone explain? I will probably buy the new models, they’re good even if inferior to the current ones but I appreciate variety. In my opinion Shadow warriors are simply the models that needed less a new version. Can someone possibly disagree?
- New plastic kits are coming, for heroes and wizards. Ok I’ve seen the previews and they look good. Mounted heroes and wizards of previous editions were simply bad quality. But the three more recent heroes and wizards on foot (made for the Lustria campaign I guess) are just splendid, great sculpting job my praise to whomsoever made them, they’re perfect in terms of proportion, pose, and “elfiness”. And still they look a bit cartoonish and baroque like everything that GW has ever done. But they look like that in a cool manner, and this proves that GW High Elves can do without the silly 6-feet tall helmets and still look GW. Now they’ve redone plastic stuff that is not as good, and that is understandable since in the end it’s still plastic, but they’ve also produced THREE OTHER PERFECTLY USELESS METAL HEROES ON FOOT that look like the worst models of the previous editions: you get the huge helms, weapons as heavy as anvils that Scharzenegger would have difficulties in handling, and the final touch, silly faces with big cheekbones. Isn’t this a waste of time? Why buying these “special” characters when you can use the other three? Among the current range there’s one that looks as phoenixian as any other Phoenix guard model (he’s got some kind of haughty bird on his helmet) and is a thousand times better than the new Alias Anar, then you have a guy with axe that is perfect as a boss for the White Lions (he’s even got a lion pelt on his shoulders) and the third one carries a bow and a cloak that make him suitable for Sea Patrol or Shadow Warriors as well. Then why producing these three new expensive, useless, ugly miniatures? Why?
- A new dragon. There’s already three or four around (one from Marauder). Anyway why not? But why not redoing plastic Swordmasters or White Lions instead, both could be much better than they are today. It’s not that they’re bad, but they could be much, much better! (Like Phoenix Guard). Why not redoing horses instead, make them all like the ones of the plastic hero kit? Current horses are the most un-elfish entities of the range, together with the quite detestable Ellyrian Reavers. And speaking of beasts, why not redoing plastic Griffons and Eagles, which are almost impossible to find, instead of the big old cliché-ridden lizard?
- New Tiranoc Chariot. Here at last they’ve done something sensible. I will certainly buy it. But why the Lion Chariot? It’s a nice model, I like it, but on the other hand, again, why not redoing White Lions completely? (Or Eagles, or Griffons, or horses).

In the end, I’m disappointed, I really hope that the rumoured cavalry and sea guard boxes turn up in the end. Otherwise, I will probably stop spending money on the hobby, I’ve already got enough stuff to play with and GW is not making me eager to spend more. Maybe I’ll turn to Wood Elves, THAT was a redoing!

Can someone comfort me? Do I have to expect some second-wave-of-releases surprise? Is there hope or the crazy Old Ones are not following any plan at all?

Hun
01-10-2007, 23:58
Perhaps the studio has had to devote it's time to other projects and is leaving the models that have the greatest need to be redone for a time when they can do them justice. I hope.

In English the phrase is "sell like hot cakes".

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2007, 00:01
I dont see the problem personally.
You already have plastic
-spearmen
-archers
-sea guard
-silverhelms
-bolt throwers

You get a new dragon, a bunch of new character's, a bunch of hero's.
A totally new unit in plastic with re-done elven steeds.
That it?
You'll get re-done troops eventually, just not yet.
You cant expect to get all the good stuiff straight away.

GW is enticing people with the new chariot and dragon and character's and their new uber rules.
Players are then going to have to fork out for the core troops and blister packs of metal models to get most of the uber units and to create legal armies.

You cant really compae it to the WE re-doe as the WE got prettymuch every single model re-done as they were all older than the earth adn the wood elves had been made to wait many many years for their new rules.

Hun
02-10-2007, 00:11
I dont see the problem personally.
You haven't seen the spearmen's hands then.

theunwantedbeing
02-10-2007, 00:18
I dont see the problem with their hands.
Get a nail file, all of about 5 minutes later and the hands wont look so strange, that and you dont paint them like the eavy metal team has which makes them look extra massive.

Heretic Burner
02-10-2007, 00:20
Yes the HE plastics tend to be ugly beasts, a ghastly collection of deformed mutants that one might expect to have crawled out of a Clan Moulder breeding pit. However, with that said there are far more vital units that simply should be a priority over a range that already has most of its basics covered in plastic. The High Elf range is ugly but it is functional. In contrast, there is simply no reason whatsoever for savage orcs to remain in metal.

You could argue GW's time shouldn't be spent on ghastly HE hero characters and instead spent on covering the essentials...and you'd be right. Besides, GW is in no rush to push useful HE models on the public, the powergamers are going to buy up the same models regardless of what the promote and I'm sure they are firing up the casts for a whole legion of swordmasters in preperation of release. Why release new, well sculpted models when you can take the far easier step of releasing broken rules?

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 00:48
the rules aren't broken!!!if u think SoA is unfair try to charge a unit of 20 strong swordsmen adn be shot at by handgunners and counterned charged by halbrediers!
seriously!

Geep
02-10-2007, 00:49
Maybe I’ll turn to Wood Elves, THAT was a redoing!
You can't compare new releases to the wood elf re-release. We went 8 years with nothing- absolutely nothing. Some other armies were updated twice in this time, and when WE were updated they really needed everything changed- it was far too old.

You may not like your plastic boxes, but they exist. They should have a low priority to be changed. Why the shadow warriors were re-done I don't know...

The new dragon was done in plastic because it is a 'cliche ridden lizard', and it's not just high elf player's who'll be interested in it. This thing should be able to make a fair bit of money for GW.

This is not the place for this discussion either- it is neither news or rumours but another high elf whine thread without even the illusion of rumours.

Shadowsinner
02-10-2007, 00:56
Well I guess overall the disappointment is due to the lack of overhaul they placed in the HE compared to the WE, dwarfs, empire and even the orcs. Wood elves came out with an entirely new and beautifully impressive range, while the dwarfs and empire and orcs did about an 80% remake. However in the new starter sets all or most of the models were new. In the dwarfs box all the minis were new and awesome except for the slayers which still looked good. The orcs in the box set were redone except for the chariots etc... the issue is if im going to be paying 200 bucks for a "new" HE army I expect all the models in that set to be of a new cast, and not models already on the market tha have been sitting there for quite some time. Given that now they ca design models on the computer it should take little to no time to make a full range. I just hope they dont pull this crap with the DE... im not buying anymore metal corsairs or executioners or cheesy spearmen!!!

In fact thats what they need to do... make plastic boxsets like the dwarfs...
one that you can use to make spearmen, shooters, shades, or corsairs...
one that makes executioners or black guard...
a new hydra box set and some plastic witchelves that include a cauldron in the kit.
and a really bas ass hero box set ...

thats the world I would one day like to live in...

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 01:21
well the only units that need redoing are spearmen and archers. the silver helms dont look that bad. reavers need to be redone.
i dont see why we need a mage and hero box set. IMO the current metal characters are fine. maybe if they didn't redo the mage and characters they could have done one box of 20 models that could be made into archers, spearmen and lothern seaguard

Inquisitor Feldenhaus
02-10-2007, 02:11
Think of this guys, according to GW high elves are a small update, mostly because many existing troop models are good quality and look fine as is, another fact that I am asking you "The Questioner" is do you not understand GW? They are, ultimatly, a corperation, who wants to make money, and will make as many new and improved things as needed in order to make that money, since most players, even if they don't play High Elves such as myself, still get very excited with new, shiny releases, which is exactly as GW wants it.

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 02:47
well gamesworkshop could have increased sales by 200% if they did a decent spearmen

violenceha
02-10-2007, 02:47
I thought his point was that they are not always improved.

Freenut
02-10-2007, 03:36
Before this thread gets locked or moved for not being a rumour I figured I would make a couple of points.
1) GW is not in the business of making High Elf models exclusivly. They products models for a several games and diffrent ranges with in those games. This means that they have to spread their resorces around in a way that will grow the game as a whole. I doubt that it is fiscally sound to put all those resorces into two or three releases when you can spread them around to grow the hobby as a whole.
2) As I understand it the hobby as a whole is not making as much money as it once did. This would put further importance on how resorces are used and the need to have releases that everyone might want (buildings, terrain, rules expansions for example).
3) It was for a long time generally accepted that the biggest problem with the HE range was the rules. Regardless of how you feel about the new rules they have been addressed. ( on a side note for years all you heard from HE players is "I would be happy if they just redid the rule book". Well they got it with some extra models and it is still not enough. Makes me laugh.)
4) And these new rules will help drive sales as people who don't play them will try HE because of the new rules while people who tried them and did not like them before will go back and play them again.
Now why they chose to redo the shadow warrior's as oppose to say swordmasters I have no ideas. But the other models are needed to some extent. Bottom line I belive most poeple forget that GW is trying to make money. People some times loose sight of this. GW makes its decisions based on this one goal. If you belive they are making bad decisions that is you right but you have to keep this in mind when you look at what they do and not go souly by what you want.

02-10-2007, 03:47
Couldn't agree more my Etruscan soul brother.

I'm an older gamer and I don't get too worked up about these things, but I also find it a disappointment. Not a huge disappointment, mind you, because I don't have to repaint my army.

Those heroes are just pathetic next to the metals from last year. I've posted once before about the retardedly oversized helmets. Was there NO quality review process?

I could live with the spear elves a while longer. The archers, though, are horrible. (I've since purchased the old metal models, which are a bit delicate next to the current range, but nicely sculpted.)

We needed new horses, a griffon, eagles, and maybe swordmasters, maybe white lions. Not much to ask, really. And maybe that's the answer: there wasn't a terrible need for a makeover. So they did just enough to create some buzz and not one iota more.

Special characters? Pffft. Who uses them anyway?

I'm more disappointed in the rules. Not angry, just let down. They should have just deleted LSG from the book if they weren't going make them useful. If Reavers could have moved to Core to replace Silver Helms. Not sure they'll get used at all with Helms hogging those spots.

It's like getting socks and underwear from Santa for Christmas. Maybe it's incentive to start a different army!

I wish I could express my bewilderment that well in Italian. (Vielleicht mal auf Deutsch.)

They can't all be gems, folks.

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 04:25
Hello, The Questioner,
These are all questions I asked myself.
With the release of Alith Anar, I believe the staff decided it would make sense that his minions would look similar to him. They needed long, morose faces that reflected the somber emotions these melancholic denizens of a lost country would depict. Hence, they gave the project to Gary Morley who sculpted some rather interesting Shadow Warriors to go with his Alith Anar. (Intriguing how things of Warhammer's past are culled for new gaming and story material--Alith Anar. Will we see honors and Intrigue at Court in 8th edition?)
Nonetheless, the point that the company is developing other armies and working on other projects is simply a hollow arguement. Eldar received some great updates, as did the Empire, the new 40K Chaos and Dark Angels, Dwarves and Goblins. If the company is only developing four books a year with new releases, then certainly, the High Elf army deserved a bit more than they received. Ah, yes, but we did get the best new rule book ever. :)
Seriously, what we've seen thus far in the plastic range for the new High Elves is a simple teaser for greater things to come.
Korhil, Caradryan and Alith Anar are really nice models.
I agree with you that Juan Diaz's models are really great--Shadow Warriors and Phoenix Guard--but we have to give credit to the other sculptors. I hope that artists who are very passionate for specific armies are getting the opportunity to work on them and not tasks undertaken with begrudging ambivalence by sculptors who'd rather be working on Space Orks.
Anyway, I recommend waiting.
Don't grieve too much over this.
GW may not make the money they could have over this new army release, but they should make sufficient sales to fund a second wave that will impress the most grim of elven haters.
Have faith and have fun.

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 04:31
hopefully enough of these new models will sell and they will fund a second wave. maybe the budget of GW simply didn't allow them to sculpt spearmen

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 04:44
hopefully enough of these new models will sell and they will fund a second wave. maybe the budget of GW simply didn't allow them to sculpt spearmen

I have a bleaker vision of this epidemic:
There are literally thousands of spear elf and archer sprues clogging entire warehouses with their hated designs.
In order to rid themselves of these banes on the miniature wargame world, the President of Games Workshop ordered Distributions to sell as many of the Spear elf and archer sprues as possible before Spring of 2008 to alleviate the burgeoning hordes in their storage, acting more as a cancer than core troops of our noble army, so that one day they can sell the new models.
Sigh.

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 04:49
have they stoped producing spearmen?

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 05:11
have they stoped producing spearmen?

Of the old ones we can only pray.

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 05:15
think of all the plastic going to waste!

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 05:33
Nae, that's what the halflings are for.

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 05:37
how do u fix the spearmen fingers up?

Ward.
02-10-2007, 05:39
Well My take on the situation (gleamed form common sense and waht others have written) Is:

= They didn't redo the core troops, because
A) No one bought them (All calvary armies...) thus they had stockpiles of old miniatures that hadn't made back the investment and needed to be moved, new book equals new players, therefore every new player grabs two core boxes.
B) You don't need as many of them anyway, seriously get some green stuff, and wack a face mask on them then file some hands and your all set :)
C) New shadow warriors was a bad idea, but people will still order them from the classic range...

Freenut
02-10-2007, 05:45
Nonetheless, the point that the company is developing other armies and working on other projects is simply a hollow arguement. Eldar received some great updates, as did the Empire, the new 40K Chaos and Dark Angels, Dwarves and Goblins. If the company is only developing four books a year with new releases, then certainly, the High Elf army deserved a bit more than they received. Ah, yes, but we did get the best new rule book ever. :)
Seriously, what we've seen thus far in the plastic range for the new High Elves is a simple teaser for greater things to come.

Valid points until you get to 40K chaos. Yes chaos got some nice new models but if you break it down they did not get much more than HE will get. Some new character models and a couple of new plastic box sets. Also notice that 2 of the new sets also work with other armies or systems. (Vindicators and chaos spawn). Further both the 40k Chaos and HE share a similar new army box with no metals/ or special/limited models. In addition they both come after a summer campaine that had several new models for various armies, a rule expansion, and many building/ terrain set. Finally both releases for 40k Chaos and HE are in the middle of a huge rules expansion for 40k with new models coming out for several diffrent armies. It seems to me that there has been a shift away from completely redoing armies in favor of limited reworks, minon expansion of other lines and the creation of products that all players can use.

Freenut
02-10-2007, 05:47
C) New shadow warriors was a bad idea, but people will still order them from the classic range...

Maybe not. With the changes coming to mail order they might not have them for sale much longer.:(

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 05:54
Valid points until you get to 40K chaos. Yes chaos got some nice new models but if you break it down they did not get much more than HE will get. Some new character models and a couple of new plastic box sets. Also notice that 2 of the new sets also work with other armies or systems. (Vindicators and chaos spawn). Further both the 40k Chaos and HE share a similar new army box with no metals/ or special/limited models. In addition they both come after a summer campaine that had several new models for various armies, a rule expansion, and many building/ terrain set. Finally both releases for 40k Chaos and HE are in the middle of a huge rules expansion for 40k with new models coming out for several diffrent armies. It seems to me that there has been a shift away from completely redoing armies in favor of limited reworks, minon expansion of other lines and the creation of products that all players can use.

I don't play 40K Chaos so I will have to agree due to ignorance.
I was over at the local GW in San Jose and saw the new 40K Chaos display. A former co-worker and friend picked up a new set of Warriors and I could only conclude that Chaos got a decent rework and High Elves got the calloused fist.
That's okay.
I want Games Workshop to succeed.
I want the company to be there for years to come.
I want to continue playing and building new toys and paint them.
When I get jerked round a bit, I get a little annoyed, but as I told The Questioner, I will be patient and have faith.
As it is, I will have to wait until late November before I play with the new High Elf rules.
Mer. Mer with emphasis.
It just sucks that my money isn't going to the company sooner.

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 05:55
what were the new chaos stuff?

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 06:02
Maybe not. With the changes coming to mail order they might not have them for sale much longer.:(

I have so many I don't know what to do with them.
Well, maybe it is a ploy to get us to buy all of the old models.
No, I don't want to be mean to the new models and their creator.
They're cool, but not the same as the old ones.
My good friend likes the new ones more than the old ones.
Weird.
It's okay, because that means that the new ones aren't as hideous as I initially found them.
I apologize to the sculptor.
I just drank a bottle of wine after two glasses of Guinness.
The Padres failed to beat the Rockies.
We won't see the post-season...the Chargers are 1 and 3. Man.
BUT, the High Elves always strike first, though... and hell, there's always the Eldar and the Wood Elves.

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 06:06

Uh, I suppose this is all off the fantasy topic, but they got new Possessed, Warriors, and Spawn...I suppose you could go to the GW web-site and see all of the great new models they got.
The new Warrior kit had an Icon Bearer, "God" specific helmets and paldrons, and a Heavy Bolter.
It looked great.
Almost as great as the new Flagellants.
I have too many models.

Ward.
02-10-2007, 06:10
"what were the new chaos stuff?"

They got spawn as well.

"Maybe not. With the changes coming to mail order they might not have them for sale much longer.:("

So you'd better buy 50 while they last... :eek::angel:

Freenut
02-10-2007, 06:11

Plastic terminators
Plastic Terminator Lord
Plastic possesed
plastic spawn
Metal lord with jump pack
Metal Lord Of Khorne
New special Character (Huron Blackheart?)
New Plastic Vindorcators (which space marines uses as well)
New marnies (which are the same as the old marnies with a new upgrade sprue and some new bits)

Freenut
02-10-2007, 06:18
I have so many I don't know what to do with them.
Well, maybe it is a ploy to get us to buy all of the old models.
No, I don't want to be mean to the new models and their creator.
They're cool, but not the same as the old ones.
My good friend likes the new ones more than the old ones.
Weird.
It's okay, because that means that the new ones aren't as hideous as I initially found them.
I apologize to the sculptor.
I just drank a bottle of wine after two glasses of Guinness.
The Padres failed to beat the Rockies.
We won't see the post-season...the Chargers are 1 and 3. Man.
BUT, the High Elves always strike first, though... and hell, there's always the Eldar and the Wood Elves.

Could not agree more. I like the new shadow warriors but still like the current ones better. Will have to see what GW will do in the future but I put my disappointment aside and hope for the best.

And for what is worth Old Scholar it is hard for me to feel sorry for you. At least your Chargers have won a game. My Dolphins are 0-4 with the last lose being to the raiders, Ricky Williams wants to come back, and we have to play the Patriots TWICE.:eyebrows: going to be a long year.

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 06:23
Plastic terminators
Plastic Terminator Lord
Plastic possesed
plastic spawn
Metal lord with jump pack
Metal Lord Of Khorne
New special Character (Huron Blackheart?)
New Plastic Vindorcators (which space marines uses as well)
New marnies (which are the same as the old marnies with a new upgrade sprue and some new bits)

Uh, this guy is on the ball.
He knows more about this than me.
But reading this list, I know now where all of the creative efforts went instead of the High Elves.
40k is fun, but Fantasy is much better.

Is it fair that they dumped Imrik, and Eltharion the Blind only to possibly re-use them in future editions...if the game still lives in five years?

aenarion67
02-10-2007, 06:25
how come chaos gets more stuff than the high elves?
and complety off the topic why did they close the forum on the uk site?

Freenut
02-10-2007, 06:32
how come chaos gets more stuff than the high elves?
and complety off the topic why did they close the forum on the uk site?

it looks like a lot been when you look ant the range it is really not.

The Old Scholar
02-10-2007, 06:33
Chaos is the enemy.
You can't have a good hero unless the villain is equally if not more intriguing.
I have no idea what the UK web-site is doing.
I wish it well and hope it recovers from this illness soon.
Ingest more vitamin C?

Intrepid Adventurer
02-10-2007, 10:48
Can you honestly blame dedicated HE players to be disappointed after the splendid new Elf models the Wood Elves got?

Of course I understand HE didn't need that much of an overhaul. I can also understand the choice not to redo the core plastics. Compared to several other armies they are acceptable, even if think they are butt-ugly models.

What I do not understand about the 'committing resources' argument is that, while the new focus of the HE Army seems to be elite infantry, said resources were directed towards new plastic characters, dragons and a skirmisher unit that only requires a few models to work effectively.

After seeing the splendid WE horses (which I might buy anyway to convert to Reavers), of COURSE I was hoping for new SH horses. After seeing models like the new Eternal Guard or the Wardancers, how could you not expect HE players to hope for Jet Li Swordmasters?

I don't need new characters, just were just redone. I don't need a dragon, I don't need new Shadow Warriors. I need plastic elite ranked infantry, because I won't be spending my hard earned cash on very old models when they could have made gorgeous new ones. If you're gonna do something, do it right. Sure VC need new models more, but if you can divert resources to HE for new characters, you could have spend them on elite infantry as well.

So we are damn well allowed to be disappointed. (:

Singaliel
02-10-2007, 12:13
I agree with your disappointment. I have been playing since 1992 and only buy or "switch-out" models if superior ones are released. My White Lions, spearelves and archers are from the late 80s (all metal). The only things I added in the past few years was Dragon Princes and the new plastic Eagle Claw.

My beef with GW is the awesome and inspirational concept art rarely translates into awesome minis. The Dragon Princes come closest in the High Elf range. The sculptors are out there that can do it, but it seems GW sticks with sculptors they have used for years...thus no great improvement (the worst being Morley). Footit is a nice new addition - but he has real problems sculpting elf faces. All this is, of course, IMHO.

Drakemaster
02-10-2007, 13:02
My White Lions, spearelves and archers are from the late 80s (all metal).
Not quite that old, surely... the first White Lions were released by Marauder in 1992ish, same time as the Jes Goodwin sculpted archers and spearmen that accompanied 4th Edition WFB and the High Elf army book. I agree though that the old metal models for core were far superior to the current stuff, both archers, spearelves and the Silver Helms (also Jes Goodwin). I also use the older models in my army, one of the benefits of being a veteran I guess. I think you're a bit harsh on Morley though... the Silver Helms he did for the 5th Edition High Elves are actually rather nice (plus mix well with the older Goodwin ones as long as you use the newer horses for both, which is what I've done for my Silver Helm units). I also prefer his White Lions and Swordmasters to the older Marauder ones as well. The problem with the Swordmasters is the lack of variety in poses, not that the sculpts are terrible... had they been given more variety, similar to the White Lions, I would be very happy with them.

T10
02-10-2007, 13:35
Of the old ones we can only pray.

You intimate knowledge of this issue astounds me! On basis of your say-so alone I pledge my life to rid the earth of the heavy-handed threat of the High elf Plastic Spearmen, and I declare that a furious campaign of petitions will soon be engaged upon with the burning fire of righteous annoyance.

Or in lay-mans terms: Pics please! I would like to see this warehouse of which you speak.

-T10

Singaliel
02-10-2007, 23:26
I started playing in 1992 so I thought the models were older rather than brand new. Hmmm. Learn something new every day.

Sure, there have been improvements to the Swordmasters and newer metal Silverhelms, but I still prefer the old White Lions (the look like they could be S4). I certainly perfer the second type of Reavers to the originals (real stinkers there). Always liked Jes' work. I didn't like the Morley horses...or much of his other work.

You can see the old High Elves here
http://www.solegends.com/citcat94/cat1994078-01.htm

Heromaniac
03-10-2007, 03:12
GW wont do such things as multiple elite in a single box because it won't sell enough to be viable commercially speaking. As such there can be no plastic special or rare because you have one of each(with only a few exception) and plastic mold cost a lot more than metal mold that are more durable and less expensive. It sad but it GW way.

The Old Scholar
03-10-2007, 03:35
You intimate knowledge of this issue astounds me! On basis of your say-so alone I pledge my life to rid the earth of the heavy-handed threat of the High elf Plastic Spearmen, and I declare that a furious campaign of petitions will soon be engaged upon with the burning fire of righteous annoyance.

Or in lay-mans terms: Pics please! I would like to see this warehouse of which you speak.

-T10

Hahah.
You sir, have a touch of the poet in you.
It is a great misfortune that this horror of a warehouse is guarded by halfling thugs and Johan the Knife. So brutal are these defenders of the grimmer places of the Games Workshop world, to bring any sort of picture taking device within a five mile radius of it will result in beatings with raw fish and other unmentionable things when women and young, impressionable children are near.

To Freenut, my heart goes out to you and your Dolphins. Worse when Culpepper rushes for 2 touchdowns....blerk!!!
We must be strong!

T10
03-10-2007, 09:45
Halfling thugs? This calls for a nothing less than a moderately phrased condemnation!

-T10

Drakemaster
03-10-2007, 11:15
@Singaliel

I think the horses were by Trish Morrison rather than Morley actually. Can't be 100% sure, but she has definitely been usual their 'go to' sculptor for animals and monsters for some time, certainly in the early 90s. I agree that the punk hair is slightly silly, and the unarmoured ones have pretty goofy heads. At least with the armoured ones the heads aren't as bad, and the actual bodies I don't have a problem with, I think they look quite appropriate for elven steeds. After all, the current Dragon Princes have alternative heads for their horses and look very good indeed.

For those who want all the links for the old Elf units, either for nostalgia or maybe as something to pick up on ebay rather than the newer stuff...
Plastic archers and spears (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92381plasheemp-03.htm) (by Jes Goodwin and Aly Morrison IIRC)
Archers and spears (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92378hecomand-03.htm) (Jes Goodwin)
Silver Helms (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92377hesilverh-03.htm) (Jes Goodwin)
Repeater bolt thrower (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92379hebthrower-03.htm) (Jes Goodwin)
Tiranoc Chariot (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92375hechariot-02.htm) (Jes Goodwin)
Phoenix Guard, old Tyrion & Teclis (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92374heheroespg-03.htm) (Jes Goodwin)
White Lions, Swordmasters and Shadow Warriors (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x3/c92425marheinf-02.htm) (Aly Morrison and Colin Dixon)

That completed the stuff that came out with the actual army book. There was a 'second wave' of releases later on:
Dragon Princes (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93539-03.htm) (Jes Goodwin)
Reaver Knights and more White Lions (http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93538-03.htm) (Aly Morrison)

Personally I love the stuff Jes did, and have almost all of it in my army somewhere. The stuff by Aly, though, I'm not a fan of... I clearly wasn't the only one, either, as all of it bar the Shadow Warriors was resculpted by Gary Morley for 5th Edition, giving us our current Reavers, Swordmasters and White Lions.

zak
03-10-2007, 21:21
GW stated that there intention was to create a plastic Lord/Hero kit for each race and this is exactly what they have done. The old SpearElves aren't great, but people will buy the old ones and until they stop there isn't much need for GW to remake them.
I've been impressed with what GW has remodelled and this bodes well for the future of ALL armies.

PLUS....Atleast the HE have some character models. Spare a thought for your Dark cousins!!

Dargon
04-10-2007, 01:18
GW wont do such things as multiple elite in a single box because it won't sell enough to be viable commercially speaking. As such there can be no plastic special or rare because you have one of each(with only a few exception) and plastic mold cost a lot more than metal mold that are more durable and less expensive. It sad but it GW way.While this makes perfect sense, GW's actions reveal the complete opposite, which really confuses matters.

Case in point, the Dwarf Miners set. Unlike the other Dwarf sets that double as multiple units/options to expand their market (Cannon/Organ Gun), the Miners set creates Miners and nothing else. They are a Special choice within their book, so a maximum of 4 units can only ever be fielded in a 2000pt army, and the nature of the unit encourages these units to be small. With all the competition vying for the other special Slots (Hammerers, Slayers, Ironbreakers, War Machines), the reality is that most Dwarf players will likely only ever field a single tiny unit of Miners... if any at all. It seems like commercial suicide, yet GW still created the set. Which pretty much means that just about anything can be deemed viable for a plastic set by GW. Rumour has it that GW's untimate aim is to eventually have everything in plastic (barring special characters).

The High Elf elites are much more viable for plastic than the Dwarf Miners in comparison (or even their own Plastic Repeater Bolt Thrower set). The additional Special slots allowed in their book allows, and even encourages fielding multiples of the same unit. Additionally, most units are similar enough in design that GW could easily double the market by creating sets that cover more than one elite unit. A plastic Swordmaster set could also include parts to build Phoenix Guard. A White Lions set could potentially also include parts for Shadow Warriors (exchange Great Weapons for Bows/Swords, and Lion Cloaks for regular cloaks). For the High Elves the options are endless.

Just a thought...

aenarion67
04-10-2007, 04:28
i would like to see a box that can make all special except it is no possible.
think of all the special choice with the same bodies and legs.
the only difference would be the weapons and heads.
no uniquness.

The Old Scholar
04-10-2007, 05:21
Halfling thugs? This calls for a nothing less than a moderately phrased condemnation!

-T10

Be careful, everyone of them is a crack shot.
Those bastards.

bluey
06-10-2007, 09:37
I going to rant know(brace yourselves)

New hero kit: lovely but we have those georgeous metals that were released for Lustria

New Mage kit: same as the new hero kit

Dragon: cool but it should have been like that giant kit, with sepearate bits for making a black dragon, wyvern ect

New chariot: like the steed and lions. the crew are also cool( could be used as spearelves)

alith anlar: dont mind it... but the pose is crap( could use the old shadow warrior champion)

korhil: Looks like a transfestite( could use the metal hero with the lion cloak

caradryan: Quiite like him but he has a big halberd(too big)

spearelves: hands are ,big arms are wierd and heads are square .... so un-elven

archers: nasty faces

silver hems: look good actually but i dont like the horses

Reavers: dated (could use glade riders)

Sea guard: what happened to the cool sketches with the peg leg?

Phoenix guard: look great but should be plastic

White lions: same as Phoenix guard

Swordmasters: lifeless poses ,should be plastic and dynamically
posed

dragon princes: alright nothing special

Bollt thrower: cool and plastic

there you go .. high elves got the short straw

aenarion67
06-10-2007, 09:51
well the peg leg is apparently comiing later as a second wave.

bluey
06-10-2007, 17:26
woohoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

zak
06-10-2007, 18:14
I really think that everyone needs to take a reality check. Atleast the HE have the plastic models available and collecting an army isn't that expensive. Some armies don't have that luxury. The second wave of models will come....patience people, patience!

Crazy Harborc
07-10-2007, 17:41
IMHO, it can be a plus that new minies come out over time not all the armies all at one time. Oh, I do become annoyed when I am waiting for that ONE item. I know it will be the one delayed until next week, month, year.:eek:

Plastic minies are what I prefer. Much easier to chew, safer to chew too. No metal shavings get caught in between my teeth.;)

I still prefer the weight of metal minies. I prefer the easier assembly of plastic. The easier painting of plastic (FOR ME;)). As long as there are players who want to own metal minies/units/armies, there should be metal goodies for them to buy.;)

KorcheZ
09-10-2007, 01:03
for starters i greatly dislike the new shadow warriors and i think that the old ones are much better. however most of the new high elf range is very impressive. Not many models are being redone because most of the current high elf models are good as they are. the main thing that needs redoing is the army book.

New Dragon: it looks darn cool, its plastic so its not irritating to build and its easy to convert

White lion Chariot:also very cool, same points as above, u could also order sprues from the U.K, make very cool white lion cavalry unit

Plastic Heroes: same points

Chariot: the old chariot was terrible, the new one is epic in comparison

All in all, if you dislike the new range than see this as an invitation for putting in the effort to make your own converted models rather than a reason to stop the hobby. all u have to do is put some effort in ;)